Bled I - All Blacks v. Wallabies OFFICIAL match thread

All things Rugby
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: Bled I - All Blacks v. Wallabies OFFICIAL match thread

Post by Enzedder »

ZuluBoy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:10 am
Thomas wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:26 am
vintage_cox wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:21 am What's the over/under on number of cross-kicks to Jordie Barrett. How tall are the Oz wingers?
MK is 1.81m

Daugunu is 1.75m

JB is 2.9m
Inflated?
Barrett is 1.96m
GotheCanes

Post by GotheCanes »

ZuluBoy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:09 am The ABs with all its talent. Cannot work out their choices.
The team they picked now would also not have won the WC.
The team they picked then had little chance without Franks and Laumape.
Best wing left out. Best centre left out. The 10 15 combo that failed in the semi still there (15 should be 10) (JB is a 15 not a 14 or 11)
Ardie Savea at 8
Players out of position
Same WC struggling frontrow
Dave Rennie and his Wallabies if ready if focused can take it
It's the first test match of the tear in a new RWC cycle so why would you think they'd have their team sorted?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:42 am
Zakar wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:28 am
vintage_cox wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:21 am What's the over/under on number of cross-kicks to Jordie Barrett. How tall are the Oz wingers?
Both are sub 6ft, but very explosive.
Bit racist.
All-but accusing them of being terrorist dwarfs. But rude, that.
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

GotheCanes wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:59 am
ZuluBoy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:09 am The ABs with all its talent. Cannot work out their choices.
It's the first test match of the tear in a new RWC cycle so why would you think they'd have their team sorted?
I would have thought they learnt a hard lesson.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

WALLABIES (1-15): James Slipper, Folau Fainga'a, Taniela Tupou, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Matt Philip, Harry Wilson, Michael Hooper, Pete Samu, Nic White, James O'Connor, Marika Koroibete, Matt To'omua, Hunter Paisami, Filipo Daugunu, Tom Banks

RESERVES: Jordan Uelese, Scott Sio, Allan Alaalatoa, Rob Simmons, Rob Valetini, Jake Gordon, Noah Lolesio, Reece Hodge
Wow. Looks like I was actualy closer than I thought.

White starting is the conservative option. I was pretty confident it would be White and McDermott or Gordon, and of the two I'm glad Gordon got his shot. Nice. McDermott shows plenty of promise but he's only average at the most core scrum-half skill ... passing the bloody ball, and Gordon can consider himself extremely unlucky not to have more caps and had more chances to show his stuff at the top level.

Same story with Fainga'a. You need a hooker who can throw to start at least. Consistent core skills get rewarded. Thumbs up.

I was worried that Rennie might opt for Samu over Wilson, but glad he did not. Samu still makes the team, but not at the expense of Wilson. I'm happy with that. WIlson is the long term Wallaby eight imo, so all good there too. *

Hodge on the bench covering multiple backline positions, perfect.

Same for Lolesio who I wanted to see on the bench for the same reason. He's also simply good enough for this level and we should be blooding youngsters early.

Valetini rag-dolls mofos at the ruck. I was skeptical he'd made the squad but not dissapointed to see him there. I hope he steps up. I hope Rennie gets him crashing the ball up more often.

O'Conner and Toomua in the correct order, great.

I don't give a shit that much about the outside backs. They're half spectators anyway. The one area I'm surprised and a little dubious about is the props. Tupou starting was a no-brainer, but Slipper is a massive surprise selection. A veteran from the Brumbies bench? Okay ... well, I hope he does well. Selecting Sio instead of a utility-prop who can play both sides like Harry-Johnson-Holmes is also a slight surprise.

Still, this team is much closer to what I was hoping for than I expected. Let's go Wallabies.

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:54 pmInteresting that Wilson is 6 and Samu is 8. Doesn't make a huge practical difference though.
*.... just noticed this! Hmmm. Oh well, at least HW gets a shot. I do see him as the long-term Wallaby eight, but I understand the selection (see post below in response to Shanky).
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Slipper will be told to have a blinder and give everything for 50 minutes. There are two capped props on the bench. Tupou will play 78 minutes.
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

Wallabies can only build on this team. Everything had been carefully worked out. Could be the diffs in this Bledisloe
Mog The Almighty

shanky wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:16 am Wilson likes to get out wide and play off 2nd receiver. I think flanker suits him better for that. He might even pack at openside off an attacking scrum
I would say that traditionally an eight is a looser player than a six. The six is almost an extra-second rower, their job is to truck it up and make tackles in tight, protect the blind side from the opposition eight off the scrum and provide a legitimate third line-out option. This is all fine, as Wilson plays that role more than Samu, who is a far looser player and more of a link-man, so I understand the selection. Just saying that "he likes to play wide" is an argument to put him at eight, not six. I guess none of this is set in stone and you can do it however you want.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

I am scratching my head a bit at the selection of Valetini on the bench, not because I don't rate him, by the way. I would have thought that his strengths, his style of play, would be much more suited to starting, when the going is tight and tough, than the last 20 or whatever, when things usually open right up.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

If Cheika selected this same 23, everyone would be up in arms.

Very worried the ABs will run up a massive score.
Mog The Almighty

wamberal wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:41 am I am scratching my head a bit at the selection of Valetini on the bench, not because I don't rate him, by the way. I would have thought that his strengths, his style of play, would be much more suited to starting, when the going is tight and tough, than the last 20 or whatever, when things usually open right up.
I think his one-dimensional game hurt him there. He basically monsters people at the ruck and that's it. That maybe due only to how the Brumbies want him to play, I'm sure he's capable of more than that. He rag-dolls rucks but I have long suspected a bit more is required to nail down an International starting jersey. I'm happy he's in the team and I'm curious to see how Rennie plays him, but I understand that he's not starting. I was skeptical he'd even make the squad.

Bindi wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:44 am If Cheika selected this same 23, everyone would be up in arms.

What? No they wouldn't, it would have been a blessing if Cheika selected a team like that. Cheika would have selected O'Conner on the wing, Tupou at inside center and rolled the dice to position the rest of the Waratahs in the backline.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Fri Oct 09, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:42 am
Zakar wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:28 am
Both are sub 6ft, but very explosive.
Bit racist.
:lol:
GotheCanes

Post by GotheCanes »

ZuluBoy wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:06 am
GotheCanes wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 6:59 am
I would have thought they learnt a hard lesson.
I guess you boys just need to turn up to the RC to win it. After all you won the RWC easily so don't expect any excuses
Salient

Post by Salient »

wamberal wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:41 am I am scratching my head a bit at the selection of Valetini on the bench, not because I don't rate him, by the way. I would have thought that his strengths, his style of play, would be much more suited to starting, when the going is tight and tough, than the last 20 or whatever, when things usually open right up.
But Zuluboy, having read the media no doubt, is claiming the bestest team ever :thumbup:

Good luck to both teams, fingers crossed it's an excellent match :D
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Thomas wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 11:20 pm Geez, mate. It's an open letter from a bunch of fans to the Wallabies...to big them up and let them know that Australian rugby fans are behind them.

Why the fuck are you guys so intense about this stuff? :lol:
It's hard to hide an erection at a nudist colony.
Go Wobblies!
shanky

Post by shanky »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:37 am
shanky wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:16 am Wilson likes to get out wide and play off 2nd receiver. I think flanker suits him better for that. He might even pack at openside off an attacking scrum
I would say that traditionally an eight is a looser player than a six. The six is almost an extra-second rower, their job is to truck it up and make tackles in tight, protect the blind side from the opposition eight off the scrum and provide a legitimate third line-out option. This is all fine, as Wilson plays that role more than Samu, who is a far looser player and more of a link-man, so I understand the selection. Just saying that "he likes to play wide" is an argument to put him at eight, not six. I guess none of this is set in stone and you can do it however you want.
True. Yes, certainly, but at the scrum, the flanker can break quicker, whereas the 8 is committed at the back

To illustrate the point, look at defence at the scrum

The 6 takes the inside (i.e. the first breaking) attacker, the 8 takes the second (wider) man.
This is merely a function of physics, the six being closer to the action.

That’s the only point I’m making.

On attack it’s the same.
Getting Wilson out and into position off the setpiece. :thumbup:
Mog The Almighty

shanky wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:18 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:37 am
True. Yes, certainly, but at the scrum, the flanker can break quicker, whereas the 8 is committed at the back

To illustrate the point, look at defence at the scrum

The 6 takes the inside (i.e. the first breaking) attacker, the 8 takes the second (wider) man.
This is merely a function of physics, the six being closer to the action.

That’s the only point I’m making.

On attack it’s the same.
Getting Wilson out and into position off the setpiece. :thumbup:
Yeah I hear you. Either way around it's fine really I think. They both have experience in both positions. It's not selecting two opensides at eight and six, which is what we're used to. I'm happy with this back row.
shanky

Post by shanky »

No worries

Wilson has played 8 his whole career.

I was looking to explain why perhaps Rennie has him at 6.
Mog The Almighty

shanky wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:29 am No worries

Wilson has played 8 his whole career.

I was looking to explain why perhaps Rennie has him at 6.
Someone said he played 6 at u20s. Even if he hasn't, moving an 8 to 6 is pretty much the safest positional change you could make on a rugby field. Much safer than moving a 6 to 8 or any other back-row switcheroo. Traditional six is kind of a tight-playing eight with less responsiblity.

Six is where I spent the vast majority of my time personally. It's my number. :)
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Yeah he was at 6 at the u20s.

Samu is comfortable at 6 and 8 too, so I'd expect them to swap around during the game, maybe Wilson at 8 defensively.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Well, I was talking about the particular tactical gameplan rather than any philosophical difference between the positions

Never mind..

Go Wobs
Olo

Post by Olo »

Yes, I reckon they will switch around a bit. Wilson is strong off the back near the opposition try line. Samu maybe slightly better very wide.
It’s a very strong back row. Surprised to see Valentini there in place of Wright. He will most likely replace Wilson at some point. Both get through a lot of tight work.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

shanky wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:56 am Well, I was talking about the particular tactical gameplan rather than any philosophical difference between the positions

Never mind..

Go Wobs
Well, it depends on the particular tactical gameplan you deploy...

We had 6 at our club that was deployed on the wing all game once. The coaches tactic was to hide him there because he was f**king useless, but the normal 6 was too hungover to show up.
Olo

Post by Olo »

Bindi wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:44 am If Cheika selected this same 23, everyone would be up in arms.

Never change Bindi
Mog The Almighty

Zakar wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:08 am
shanky wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:56 am Well, I was talking about the particular tactical gameplan rather than any philosophical difference between the positions

Never mind..

Go Wobs
Well, it depends on the particular tactical gameplan you deploy...

We had 6 at our club that was deployed on the wing all game once. The coaches tactic was to hide him there because he was f**king useless, but the normal 6 was too hungover to show up.
Seems odd. Why not just make him play wing?
shanky

Post by shanky »

Because.tactics.fcken

:lol:
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

All Blacks $1.12
Wallabies $6.50

Line 17.5
Mog The Almighty

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:20 pm All Blacks $1.12
Wallabies $6.50

Line 17.5
Yikes ... I hate to say this ... because I get this "gut feeling" all the time ... and it's almost always wrong ... but damn ... I've got that feeling. $6.50 isn't half bad...
towny

Post by towny »

$6.50?!

Farkin’ ell. This is how Towny is going to get his new wheels! 😎
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

towny wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:46 pm $6.50?!

I can see one major problem with this strategy
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

I suspect the only person to benefit from those odds will be jdog with another insurance bet.
Mog The Almighty

Enzedder wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:04 pm

Towny will bet everything he has and make $650? He's probably talking about a new "second hand" bike from Redfern so cool your jets.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

I somehow think that Towny could bet more than I would be prepared to.
akann

Post by akann »

On Ladbrokes

NZ 1.06
Australia 8.00
Salient

Post by Salient »

Enzedder wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:04 pm

I agree, throwing $20 on the wobs isn't exactly going to put Towny into his dream car, unless we talking a rusted out Excel with a Transformers sticker on it.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Hoy shit

At $8 you’d be mad not to have a flutter.

Gamble responsibly etc
Tuivasa

Post by Tuivasa »

Tempting on All blacks by 17+ .
Surely we will put 50 on them on one of the matches.
They are a bit shit and Rennie is overhyped crap .
shanky

Post by shanky »

Tuivasa wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:53 am Tempting on All blacks by 17+ .
Surely we will put 50 on them on one of the matches.
They are a bit shit and Rennie is overhyped crap .
I reckon you’d get wicked odds on some provincial baiting combo.

BB to score first, with JB to get a double
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

No chance will BB score first - I'll bet $10 to a million.

He's broken down and MacKenzie is in his spot.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Enzedder wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:33 am No chance will BB score first - I'll bet $10 to a million.

He's broken down and MacKenzie is in his spot.
OK. You pick a combo then

First three scorers are Chiefs players?