Untrustworthy Saffas slink away from RC

All things Rugby
ovalball

Re: Untrustworthy Saffas slink away from RC

Post by ovalball »

sorCrer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:53 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:29 pm
sorCrer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:26 pm Good thing too. As the head coach says, he won't favour his team playing unless they have had 400-500 minutes competitive game time. :thumbup:
Good thing? You've just unilaterally destroyed the comp that has funded SH Rugby since 1996 out of spite, because we managed our COVID-19 plague and you couldn't. Enjoy international Rugby isolation and being sued into the Stone Age :thumbup:
Shit. You mean that SARU made this decision knowing that they will be sued? :( FFS, they are useless.
Seems unlikely that the SARU will have broken any legally binding agreement considering all the changes to the original (pre-covid) arrangements.
towny

Post by towny »

ovalball wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:35 pm
sorCrer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:26 pm Good thing too. As the head coach says, he won't favour his team playing unless they have had 400-500 minutes competitive game time. :thumbup:
Good thing? You've just unilaterally destroyed the comp that has funded SH Rugby since 1996 out of spite, because we managed our COVID-19 plague and you couldn't. Enjoy international Rugby isolation and being sued into the Stone Age :thumbup:
Shit. You mean that SARU made this decision knowing that they will be sued? :( FFS, they are useless.
Seems unlikely that the SARU will have broken any legally binding agreement considering all the changes to the original (pre-covid) arrangements.
Didn’t they agree to things a few weeks ago?
ovalball

Post by ovalball »

towny wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Did they make a legally binding agreement - and have things changed since then.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

towny wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:50 pm Didn’t they agree to things a few weeks ago?
I'm sure it was always conditional depending on SA Covid-19 regulations, which is still the issue

Latest from SARU
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

ovalball wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:03 pm
towny wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:50 pm

Did they make a legally binding agreement - and have things changed since then.
Their reasons for not wanting to keep up their end of the bargain were known to them before they made the agreement so no change there. Also I would be surprised if it's not legally binding. I believe NZ have had to pay some sort of financial penalty to get the date of one of their games changed
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Jensrsa wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:00 pm
towny wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:50 pm Didn’t they agree to things a few weeks ago?
I'm sure it was always conditional depending on SA Covid-19 regulations, which is still the issue
Sorry I thought "the issue" was lack of game time.
True Blue

Post by True Blue »

What a f**king mess. They've been threatening this shit for years and literally weeks before the start of the comp they pull out, thereby f**king over everyone involved. Sad state of affairs. Boks are once again the pariah of world rugby, world sport, and world affairs in general. The biggest scandal since Watergate, and it may even eclipse that. For shame. :thumbdown:

They'll be talking about this for centuries.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:05 pm
Think one ahead. 1+1 = 2.

Corvid-19 demands locked down regulations = no sport.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

The Covid-19 "issues" resulted in a lack of game time and SARU is still trying to clear up travelling regs, etc. with the government (Read their press releases)
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Jensrsa wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:27 pm
The Covid-19 "issues" resulted in a lack of game time and SARU is still trying to clear up travelling regs, etc. with the government (Read their press releases)
That’s not what the press release says.
Jensrsa

Re: Saffas withdraw from RC

Post by Jensrsa »

Mr Mike wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:28 pm That’s not what the press release says.
See the report I posted two days ago
Jensrsa wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:17 pm Posted on the SA Rugby website on Saturday:
The Boks are due to defend the title in Australia between 7 November and 12 December, but several hurdles needed to be cleared if it is to be confirmed.

The South African government lifted the ban on international sporting participation a week ago and directions to manage such participation were published on Wednesday evening.

A spokesman said that SA Rugby was seeking further clarification from the departments of Arts, Sports and Culture and of Transport as to how those regulations would impact on the planned participation.

A final decision was only likely to be finalised early next week once those clarifications had been assessed internally and with SA Rugby’s SANZAAR partners.
https://sarugby.co.za/news-features/art ... ok-update/
SA rugby only restarted two weeks ago, not two months ago like NZ
Last edited by Jensrsa on Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:15 pm

Are people not allowed to fly into South Africa and quarantine like they do in say Australia or New Zealand or most other countries on the planet ?
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:35 pm

Are people not allowed to fly into South Africa and quarantine like they do in say Australia or New Zealand or most other countries on the planet ?
No, they have a list of countries who aren't allowed like UK & US
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:44 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:35 pm

No, they have a list of countries who aren't allowed like UK & US
So SARU agreed to the schedule in the full knowledge that your teams were not playing domestic rugby at the time and there is nothing stopping them from coming back from Australia after they play their games.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:48 pm So SARU agreed to the schedule in the full knowledge that your teams were not playing domestic rugby at the time and there is nothing stopping them from coming back from Australia after they play their games.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM
Do you have the terms of the agreement?

Surely, you can't expect players who have had 2 matches to play full international tests after doing nothing for several months? Surely you wouldn't even want to see that?
JamesJames

Post by JamesJames »

Lol at all the Antipodean shrieking and hair-pulling. Calm down petals! It's been a tough year, OK so you're better at this pandemic stuff than us, we get it. Just play with each other this year m'kay. We'll use the time to put our u20's through couple of tren cycles and come back next year with some new talent.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

sorCrer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:02 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:48 pm So SARU agreed to the schedule in the full knowledge that your teams were not playing domestic rugby at the time and there is nothing stopping them from coming back from Australia after they play their games.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM

Surely, you can't expect players who have had 2 matches to play full international tests after doing nothing for several months? Surely you wouldn't even want to see that?
They were back in training in June or July and back in contact training since August. What was the point of SARU agreeing to the schedule and then turning round and talking the same bollox as you ?
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:09 pm

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM

They were back in training in June or July and back in contact training since August. What was the point of SARU agreeing to the schedule and then turning round and talking the same bollox as you ?
Jeez, are you stupid or just obtuse?
booze

Post by booze »

JamesJames wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:07 pm Lol at all the Antipodean shrieking and hair-pulling. Calm down petals! It's been a tough year, OK so you're better at this pandemic stuff than us, we get it. Just play with each other this year m'kay. We'll use the time to put our u20's through couple of tren cycles and come back next year with some new talent.
Their first game is just over 3 weeks away against a team that has had less preparation.

They had their first match 2 weeks ago didn’t they?

Sure they wont be at their optimum level but I can’t see that they will be so off that it would be a danger to them to play...?

Surely they would do want to play some test matches for the books supporters at home who have endured a pretty miserable 6 months?
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Are the Saffers trying for an undefeated year?

I hope the B&I Lions do this to them next year and they can see how it feels.

Rectums and pineapples spring to mind.
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Once again which RWC Final Springboks would play? Siya, Malherbe, Mbonambi?
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Once again which RWC Final Springboks would play? Siya, Malherbe, Mbonambi?
towny

Post by towny »

Oh.... that doesn’t sound made up at all.
towny

Post by towny »

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM

Weird. The SARU agreed to exactly what you said is impossible 4 weeks ago.
towny

Post by towny »

JamesJames wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:07 pm Lol at all the Antipodean shrieking and hair-pulling. Calm down petals! It's been a tough year, OK so you're better at this pandemic stuff than us, we get it. Just play with each other this year m'kay. We'll use the time to put our u20's through couple of tren cycles and come back next year with some new talent.
I say.... nah. I hope we replace you guys with Japan. You’re out.
towny

Post by towny »

People and organisations under pressure - that’s when you see their real character.

Australia and NZ have very good rugby teams in our Timezone: Japan and Fiji being the most obvious. Along with the Argies of course. South Africa is such a pain in the arse. Hopefully this dog act is the catalyst for us finding better people to partner with.
sunnybanana

Post by sunnybanana »

Good decision if true.
There’d have been no complaining if SARU had refused to compete from the get go. Instead they left the door open without ever committing (in contrast to the narrative which has formed on this thread) and have obviously tried to make it work.
Ultimately the players very clearly aren’t ready and it’s encouraging that their interests are being elevated above financial considerations.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Has this been officially announced?

Financial suicide if true.

Pick a Pacific BaaBaas side with the best of the rest of Aus and Nz (including whoever is available and eligible for Samoa/Tonga/Japan and in the area). We'll lose some money, but you'll be shit out of luck.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:01 pm Has this been officially announced?

Financial suicide if true.

Pick a Pacific BaaBaas side with the best of the rest of Aus and Nz (including whoever is available and eligible for Samoa/Tonga/Japan and in the area). We'll lose some money, but you'll be shit out of luck.
Very much this - a bye would be a shocking waste of opportunity. I would guess that the phone has been hot to the Islands for the last few days.

Announcement later today is my guess
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

towny wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:51 pm People and organisations under pressure - that’s when you see their real character.

Australia and NZ have very good rugby teams in our Timezone: Japan and Fiji being the most obvious. Along with the Argies of course. South Africa is such a pain in the arse. Hopefully this dog act is the catalyst for us finding better people to partner with.
Yep, this dog act will come back to haunt South AFrica. They've gone too far this time. There will be a huge financial cost once the lawsuits are completed, but the relational cost will be even worse. They're more isolated now than they were during the shameful Apartheid era.
sunnybanana

Post by sunnybanana »

:lol:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

It's a fitting act for a rugby organisation whose most celebrated tournament is called Craven Week.

They've proven they can be craven for a whole year.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

sunnybanana wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:32 pm :lol:
You find dishonesty and shame funny?
sorCrer

Post by sorCrer »

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:34 pm It's a fitting act for a rugby organisation whose most celebrated tournament is called Craven Week.

Serious question, Zakar. Which RWC final Boks can make it?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

sorCrer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:41 pm
Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:34 pm It's a fitting act for a rugby organisation whose most celebrated tournament is called Craven Week.

It's not our fault that your players have all fled to the NH. The SARU earns more money than NZR or RA, yet we manage to pay enough players to sustain competitive domestic based teams. Your player model was clearly faulty and has been brutally exposed by covid-19. You effectively outsource your elite player development to easy rugby clubs.

A question, what does the SARU do with all its TV rights money? Is corruption rampant? It seems that your TV rights money just didappears.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Hey NHers - re your dealings with SARU

ox wagon

Post by ox wagon »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:37 pm
sunnybanana wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:32 pm :lol:
You find dishonesty and shame funny?
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

All Blacks vs Wallabies x 6 in 2 months before Christmas.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:19 pm All Blacks vs Wallabies x 6 in 2 months before Christmas.
At least we are playing some international Rugby. Enjoy isolation until mid 2021. I guess you boets are used to isolation though? This year will remind you of your chidhood.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

sorCrer wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:41 pm

Irrelevant question. Only 2/15 of our starters from the last rwc started versus the ABs.

The Boks are supposed to represent the best that SA can put out. That means some times you will have lean years. Just because you can't put out the same team that won 2019 doesn't mean you should hide under your bed like a frightened child.