Untrustworthy Saffas slink away from RC

All things Rugby
jambanja

Re: Untrustworthy Saffas slink away from RC

Post by jambanja »

wolfmother wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:14 am
jambanja wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:44 am As a rugby fan I’m a little, not a lot disappointed that this has happened. I have always advocated that the RC be abandoned for 2020 for a number of reasons
Firstly, if it had been it would mean the domestic comps, Mitre 10 and Currie Cup would be full of the best players, making those comps that much more fun and interesting
Secondly the RC was always going to be contested between the ABs and the Wallabies, the Boks and Pumas never really had a look in
Playing under prepared sides does nothing to add value to the game, no one likes watching a one sided affair...well apart, perhaps for those calling for Japan to join the RC, because that will be real fun, watching 3 other countries beat the crap out of one side, can anyone say Sunwolves :roll:
SANZAR fudgeed up big time and went for the short term $ rather than play the long game, I have a feeling it was the Arg, RA, NZR crew that were driving this, such was their desperation for the filthy lucre.
Rugby is struggling against other sporting codes and the decision to play the RC come what may has set them back big time, 3 possibly even 4( too many imop ) Bledisloe games would have been good value and left fans wanting more...next year, but no they had to wring every last $ to stay afloat and in the process have ended up doing potentially irreparable damage

To AC and his buddy Grievy etal saying the Boks will pay for this by not having anyone to play against...really, how do you think Test rugby goes without one of the best teams ever...grow the game my arse, get the fuck over yourselves and stop crying like little babies
Are you saying this Boks team is one of the best teams ever? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No I’m not saying that, but then you’d have to be a little bit thick to think that, so there is that. The Springboks are historically one of the best sides to play test rugby, to remove them from an already struggling international game would be a very interesting strategy indeed
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:38 pm
UncleFB wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:34 pm Lack of game time should have no influence on their decision, the Pumas are here and ready to go with the same lack of game time.
That's just an excuse. And a terrible one at that. This is all about spite. Spite and retribution for NZ and Australia disbanding the loss-making Super Rugby format, despite South Africa having already negotiated to join the Pro18.
They know how a loss at a RWC followed by wins against tier 2 competition and a final against a gassed opponent is flaky as fudge. This is all about extending the facade of world domination.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

jambanja wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:44 am To AC and his buddy Grievy etal saying the Boks will pay for this by not having anyone to play against...really, how do you think Test rugby goes without one of the best teams ever...grow the game my arse, get the fuck over yourselves and stop crying like little babies
Enjoy international isolation mate, I'll think of you boets whilst I'm enjoying the 2nd Bledisloe Cup test this weekend :thumbup:

And enjoy the poverty that will define Rugby in SA after NZR and RA suit the SARU back into the amateur era.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

A good RC to lose for NZ. World is still too unstable no matter what these shores look like.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:22 am
jambanja wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:44 am To AC and his buddy Grievy etal saying the Boks will pay for this by not having anyone to play against...really, how do you think Test rugby goes without one of the best teams ever...grow the game my arse, get the fuck over yourselves and stop crying like little babies
Enjoy international isolation mate, I'll think of you boets whilst I'm enjoying the 2nd Bledisloe Cup test this weekend :thumbup:

And enjoy the poverty that will define Rugby in SA after NZR and RA suit the SARU back into the amateur era.
Weren’t you just saying how this could bankrupt RA and NZR, page or so back I think, when you were squealing like a baby ho hadn’t seen a tit for three hours
Enjoy easy rugby watched by crowds of hundreds
After this the only test rugby worth watching will be the 6 nations, at least in that tournament the teams are relatively evenly matched
After the 6th Bledisloe match I think even the players will be bored shitless
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

jambanja wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:34 am

Weren’t you just saying how this could bankrupt RA and NZR, page or so back I think, when you were squealing like a baby ho hadn’t seen a tit for three hours
After this the only test rugby worth watching will be the 6 nations, at least in that tournament the teams are relatively evenly matched

The evenly matched Six Nations will be gripping compared to one-sided draws like we had at the weekend.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

jambanja wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:34 am Weren’t you just saying how this could bankrupt RA and NZR, page or so back I think, when you were squealing like a baby ho hadn’t seen a tit for three hours
:lol: sucking up to the 6N before they've even taken you in? How subservient.

Btw, do the 6N countries know that South Africa is a covid-19 riddled hell-hole? They might not be so keen on you guys when they discover that your country has been overtaken by the plague :thumbup:
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

JB1981 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:39 am
jambanja wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:34 am

The evenly matched Six Nations will be gripping compared to one-sided draws like we had at the weekend.
As I said, after Bled 6 even the players will be bored, oh and for the record I really enjoyed the match last week and probably will on Sunday, although I think the score will be a lot different and I don’t see the wallabies doing too well
You looking forward to ABs v Pumas, I know I’m not
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:40 am
jambanja wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:34 am Weren’t you just saying how this could bankrupt RA and NZR, page or so back I think, when you were squealing like a baby ho hadn’t seen a tit for three hours

Btw, do the 6N countries know that South Africa is a covid-19 riddled hell-hole? They might not be so keen on you guys when they discover that your country has been overtaken by the plague :thumbup:
Fuck you’re childish, I don’t think the Boks will ever play in the 6N, but yeah, subservient me
Zimbabwe May very well be a Covid riddled hell hole and they used to have a reasonable test rugby side...even beat the All Blacks, but not sure why you’re bringing them up, as an educator I would have thought you’d have a better grasp of geography
Do you like making fun of third world countries, odd considering your heritage
sunnybanana

Post by sunnybanana »

An educator? Genuinely concerning if true :uhoh:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

In a surprising twist, the Saffa supporters take to playing the man, not the ball.

Bye lads. Don’t let the door hit your considerable arses on the way out.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:40 am

Maybe post a covid scorecard. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

guy smiley wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:33 am In a surprising twist, the Saffa supporters take to playing the man, not the ball.

:lol: :lol:
Really, so it’s ok to give it out hmm, Aussie much
Olo

Post by Olo »

Mods, you can shut down this Fred. Nothing else to see here.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:53 am
Rugby2023 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:04 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:40 am So Rassie is a 400 min guy. Heaven help if he plays a player before that have 400 min against another team (assume that means against a team that has - otherwise you'd never start).

And NZ should definitely not ease ScoBa in - not done 400 mins, or lumpy.

And how will SA achieve 400 mins before the Lions?
No Super rugby
Currie cup starts afterwards

Do you have to play in Europe now to play for SA?

I still think they're throwing 'player safety' back at Andy M (no sympathy) but they did enter deep into these discussions and planning - when they did not have good intentions to fulfil any commitments.
I'm sure the Aussies will have the minutes to prove it.
I read they're negotiating for SA based teams to play in the Pro 14 in the new year.
I’m sure they are. But as it’s a comp that runs Sept to May they would only join after the Lions tour, which, unless I’m mistaken, does help them get to 400 mins...
The BBC report on it said that Pro 14 were negotiating with SA about participation in the current season. Don't ask me how it would work, but that's what it said.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Scummy behaviour
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

I assume the SARU have determined that any revenue loss will still be less than the brand damage of being hammered ahead of negotiations for entry to some kind of NH competition for their Super Teams. Understandable sentiment but given the hidings that they have taken over the years, you would question the rationality of the assessment.

You do need to acknowledge again how well the SARU played the divisions between NZR and RA throughout the process to buy time and create leverage. A better aligned approach from the Australasian block would have had this nailed down earlier but instead Roux and Marinos actively encouraged sniping and pettiness between the camps, and it worked.

If the Aussies and the Kiwis could have overcome their own issues earlier then they could have worked collaboratively on the SARU, the scorpion trying to cross the river. Instead they wasted time beating up each other while being encouraged from the sidelines to do so.

So ultimately it’s all the fault of the Aussies.
Last edited by Mr Mike on Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Rugby2023 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:32 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:40 am So Rassie is a 400 min guy. Heaven help if he plays a player before that have 400 min against another team (assume that means against a team that has - otherwise you'd never start).

No Super rugby

I still think they're throwing 'player safety' back at Andy M (no sympathy) but they did enter deep into these discussions and planning - when they did not have good intentions to fulfil any commitments.
I read they're negotiating for SA based teams to play in the Pro 14 in the new year.
I’m sure they are. But as it’s a comp that runs Sept to May they would only join after the Lions tour, which, unless I’m mistaken, does help them get to 400 mins...
The BBC report on it said that Pro 14 were negotiating with SA about participation in the current season. Don't ask me how it would work, but that's what it said.
Saffa teams don't qualify for European comps so they can play in the pro whatever whenever it's agreed with the other unions
shanky

Post by shanky »

jambanja wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:42 am
guy smiley wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:33 am In a surprising twist, the Saffa supporters take to playing the man, not the ball.

oh fvck off mate

you pulled out at the last moment and left us in the shit

don't come the raw prawn round here.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Mr Mike wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:08 pm I assume the SARU have determined that any revenue loss will still be less than the brand damage of being hammered ahead of negotiations for entry to some kind of NH competition for their Super Teams. Understandable sentiment but given the hidings that they have taken over the years, you would question the rationality of the assessment.

You do need to acknowledge again how well the SARU played the divisions between NZR and RA throughout the process to buy time and create leverage. A better aligned approach from the Australasian block would have had this nailed down earlier but instead Roux and Marinos actively encouraged sniping and pettiness between the camps, and it worked.

If the Aussies and the Kiwis could have overcome their own issues earlier then they could have worked collaboratively on the SARU, the scorpion trying to cross the river. Instead they wasted time beating up each other while being encouraged from the sidelines to do so.

So ultimately it’s all the fault of the Aussies.
A fair and judicious summary.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Olo wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:15 am Mods, you can shut down this Fred. Nothing else to see here.
Saffas lashing out at annything and everyone is fun, let it breathe
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Rugby2023 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:32 am

No Super rugby

Planned for March entry but now it will be earlier.
shanky

Post by shanky »

apparently we worked closely with the splitters, trying to lay out timetables that enabled them to build up game time and get their act together

Instead, they chose the path of naked self-interest, while pretending to be the injured party

If there's one good thing to come out of this, it'll be that we don't (any longer) have to pretend that marinos is anything other than an agent of SARU. He'll probably be quite relieved as well.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

SARU must be the words richest Union if they can afford to turn down 300,000,000 rand. (£14,000,000)

I am amazed at this decision.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

mdaclarke wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:52 pm SARU must be the words richest Union if they can afford to turn down 300,000,000 rand. (£14,000,000)

It feels like a decision made by wives, girlfriends and partners. It would be interesting to see if the position changed if the Australian authorities allowed family groups to tag along.
sunnybanana

Post by sunnybanana »

shanky wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:23 pm

oh fvck off mate

Would anything be different if they’d just said no at the start? Marinos stated that they were already working on contingencies for a Bok no-show at the outset.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

sunnybanana wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:10 pm

oh fvck off mate

Would anything be different if they’d just said no at the start? Marinos stated that they were already working on contingencies for a Bok no-show at the outset.
TBF we are used to Bok no-shows but usually they at least make up the numbers.
shanky

Post by shanky »

sunnybanana wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:10 pm

oh fvck off mate

I was responding to Jambanja's argument that we were all being mean to the Boks, not that they didn't have the right to pull out
shanky

Post by shanky »

Mr Mike wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:01 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:52 pm SARU must be the words richest Union if they can afford to turn down 300,000,000 rand. (£14,000,000)

It feels like a decision made by wives, girlfriends and partners. It would be interesting to see if the position changed if the Australian authorities allowed family groups to tag along.
where did it say they couldn't come along? I must have missed that bit
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

shanky wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:21 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:01 pm

where did it say they couldn't come along? I must have missed that bit
My assumption.
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

My Players, the local representative body for SA's Professional Rugby Players, supported SA Rugby's course of action
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ok

Like I said, they can withdraw if they want. I'm not really going to criticise them for that

I'm not taking the blame for it either. Wanting to have a RC for rugby fans is a good thing, not a bad thing.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

shanky wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:27 pm Ok

Like I said, they can withdraw if they want. I'm not really going to criticise them for that

I'm not taking the blame for it either. Wanting to have a RC for rugby fans is a good thing, not a bad thing.
There wasn’t any criticism implied, even empathetic Jacinda would have been reluctant to let in the entire caravan. The more robust approach of the Australian authorities is a reason it isn’t being played in NZ.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Last edited by Mr Mike on Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Mr Mike wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:30 pm

There wasn’t any criticism implied, even empathetic Jacinda would have been reluctant to let in the entire caravan. The more robust approach of the Australian authorities is a reason it isn’t being played in NZ.
sorry, my comment was about Jambanja's assertion. Nothing you'd said

:thumbup:
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

shanky wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:34 pm

sorry, my comment was about Jambanja's asserion. Nothing you'd said

This is all too civilized on the eve of a Bledisloe test.

Wanker.
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

All that money can't buy the Springboks another Pieter-Steph du Toit for the 2023 WC. He played 0 minutes and will only start getting game time next week in SA Super Rugby Unlocked. The Risk of injury to so many springboks in the same situation is too high. SA had the hardest lockdown in the world.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Mr Mike wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:35 pm

Wanker.
Secret Trumper
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

shanky wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:50 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:35 pm

Wanker.
Secret Trumper
shanky

Post by shanky »

:lol: