Lovely gesture from the All Blacks

All things Rugby
Mog The Almighty

Lovely gesture from the All Blacks

Post by Mog The Almighty »

For Michael Hooper's 100th cap. Solid gesture gents.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/bledis ... 23A3MABNU/
Kiwias

Re: Lovely gesture from the All Blacks

Post by Kiwias »

Thanks for posting that.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

One of the greatest aspects of our sport. Sport. Not business.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Apparently it's cynical PR.

I think people over think things.

For what it's worth i don't think the result has any bearing on whether Aus Super rugby teams are competitive enough - it's been clear they're not (although they're way closer than any of the made up teams be floated).

I especially liked the reference to Rennie .... terrible writing by some kiwi hack.
All Blacks accused of launching fake charm offensive on Wallabies
09:34, Oct 13 2020

The All Blacks have been accused of launching a fake charm offensive on the Wallabies after the disappointing effort of Ian Foster’s side in the opening Bledisloe Cup test.

Rather than displaying their usual grumpy persona following a sub-par performance, the All Blacks have been happy to talk up the Wallabies as the better side in the wake of the 16-16 draw in Wellington last Sunday.

It has been quickly picked up by the Australian media who have issued a warning to the new-look Wallabies team under their clever Kiwi coach Dave Rennie.

“If there is one lesson the Wallabies should have learnt from their 18-year bid to reclaim the Bledisloe Cup, it’s that you should never trust or underestimate the All Blacks,” rugby correspondent Julian Linden wrote for news.com.au.

“The most ruthless, egotistical team in international rugby, the All Blacks didn’t get to No 1 by being Mr Nice Guy, so no-one in Australia should be fooled by the charm offensive the Kiwis have turned on in the wake of the drawn first test.

“Within hours of the match finishing, New Zealand’s spin doctors were in full swing, posting a mushy video on social media of the All Blacks welcoming the Wallabies into their dressing room to share a beer and toast the Australian captain Michael Hooper on playing his 100th test.

“It was stirring stuff after New Zealand’s outrageous claims that Australia’s teams weren’t good enough to be in the same competitions as the Kiwis, but it was all just smoke and mirrors.”

They doubted the Wallabies or Australian rugby would fall for it, given what had unfolded over the past month or two as trans-Tasman rugby relations hit a new low in the wake of the Super Rugby controversy.

“If the intention was to lull the Wallabies into a false sense of security and silence the critics who have called out New Zealand’s snooty actions on and off the field, then it failed miserably,” news.com.au said.

They quoted Wallabies star Reece Hodge, who knew too well that the All Blacks “will come out firing at their fortress Eden Park”.

The second of four Bledisloe Cup tests is played in Auckland on Sunday.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:22 am Apparently it's cynical PR.

I think people over think things.

For what it's worth i don't think the result has any bearing on whether Aus Super rugby teams are competitive enough - it's been clear they're not (although they're way closer than any of the made up teams be floated).

I especially liked the reference to Rennie .... terrible writing by some kiwi hack.
All Blacks accused of launching fake charm offensive on Wallabies
09:34, Oct 13 2020

The All Blacks have been accused of launching a fake charm offensive on the Wallabies after the disappointing effort of Ian Foster’s side in the opening Bledisloe Cup test.

Rather than displaying their usual grumpy persona following a sub-par performance, the All Blacks have been happy to talk up the Wallabies as the better side in the wake of the 16-16 draw in Wellington last Sunday.

It has been quickly picked up by the Australian media who have issued a warning to the new-look Wallabies team under their clever Kiwi coach Dave Rennie.

“If there is one lesson the Wallabies should have learnt from their 18-year bid to reclaim the Bledisloe Cup, it’s that you should never trust or underestimate the All Blacks,” rugby correspondent Julian Linden wrote for news.com.au.

“The most ruthless, egotistical team in international rugby, the All Blacks didn’t get to No 1 by being Mr Nice Guy, so no-one in Australia should be fooled by the charm offensive the Kiwis have turned on in the wake of the drawn first test.

“Within hours of the match finishing, New Zealand’s spin doctors were in full swing, posting a mushy video on social media of the All Blacks welcoming the Wallabies into their dressing room to share a beer and toast the Australian captain Michael Hooper on playing his 100th test.

“It was stirring stuff after New Zealand’s outrageous claims that Australia’s teams weren’t good enough to be in the same competitions as the Kiwis, but it was all just smoke and mirrors.”

They doubted the Wallabies or Australian rugby would fall for it, given what had unfolded over the past month or two as trans-Tasman rugby relations hit a new low in the wake of the Super Rugby controversy.

“If the intention was to lull the Wallabies into a false sense of security and silence the critics who have called out New Zealand’s snooty actions on and off the field, then it failed miserably,” news.com.au said.

They quoted Wallabies star Reece Hodge, who knew too well that the All Blacks “will come out firing at their fortress Eden Park”.

The second of four Bledisloe Cup tests is played in Auckland on Sunday.
That seems ridiculously cynical. I see the All Blacks as a team that pride themselves on behaving in a proper rugby man's manner. I don't see what psychological or otherwise advantage this could possibly afford them and I don't see any reason at all why they can't be gentlemen and also come out firing and full of controlled aggression in Aukland. That's what rugby is all about.

Shitty click-baity journalism I would say.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

The Oz meeja are prolly pissed off that Cheika is no longer there shit stirring as he always did with the ABs, and giving them plenty of talking points and click bait.

Its a good thing if the shit that went on for the past five years or so is dead and buried. A lot of the players, particularly the pacifica ones are probably cuzzys anyway. Cameraderie is better than the nasty sniping that went on under Cheika and Shag.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

I would have thought it cynical too, once upon a time, but Hansen let the cat out of the bag about the All Blacks' mind games at some boozy function last year, didn't he?

Never underestimate the degree to which the New Zealand rugby man sees rugby as tantamount to war, and worthy of a similar level of ruthlessness.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

MrDominator wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:37 am I would have thought it cynical too, once upon a time, but Hansen let the cat out of the bag about the All Blacks' mind games at some boozy function last year, didn't he?

Never underestimate the degree to which the New Zealand rugby man sees rugby as tantamount to war, and worthy of a similar level of ruthlessness.
Dominator going soft on us?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

wamberal wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:12 am One of the greatest aspects of our sport. Sport. Not business.
A decade or so back, the Bulls after a home game against the Reds had arranged a presentation for one of the Reds props who’d reached a major milestone in terms of games played. It thought that was an excellent and v. sporting thing to do at the time, and still do.
towny

Post by towny »

obelixtim wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:09 am The Oz meeja are prolly pissed off that Cheika is no longer there shit stirring as he always did with the ABs, and giving them plenty of talking points and click bait.

Its a good thing if the shit that went on for the past five years or so is dead and buried. A lot of the players, particularly the pacifica ones are probably cuzzys anyway. Cameraderie is better than the nasty sniping that went on under Cheika and Shag.
What did the Oz meeja say that made you think they were angry. What click baiting did the Oz meeja do?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

That's a nice gesture and great to see the two sides mixing again. I think there was great camaraderie between the sides during the 90's and early 2000's that turned sour during the Robbie Deans era and didn't improve under Cheika.

Good to see. :thumbup:
towny

Post by towny »

booji boy wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:22 am That's a nice gesture and great to see the two sides mixing again. I think there was great camaraderie between the sides during the 90's and early 2000's that turned sour during the Robbie Deans era and didn't improve under Cheika.

Steve Hanson is a grub. That was probably a big part of the problem.
It was a nice thing to see - Sam Cane looks like a genuinely good bloke.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Kiwis took an antidote to whatever was in the wine
Farva

Post by Farva »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:31 am
booji boy wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:22 am That's a nice gesture and great to see the two sides mixing again. I think there was great camaraderie between the sides during the 90's and early 2000's that turned sour during the Robbie Deans era and didn't improve under Cheika.

And I think the Wallaby’s under Cheika couldn’t do this but under a Rennie it seems reasonable.

Good on them.

And what is Obelixtim read? Every article I have read about it is gushing.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Farva wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:47 am

And I think the Wallaby’s under Cheika couldn’t do this but under a Rennie it seems reasonable.

Good on them.

I assume he means the one quoted above about a “fake charm offensive”. Journalists quoting each other.
towny

Post by towny »

Good on them.

Me Thinks he confused kiwis articles for Oz - doubt we'll see him on this thread again, unless his extensive searching on google digs up something from the Atherton Tablelands Advertiser.
backrow

Post by backrow »

That kiwi hack should look Hooper in the eye and tell him it’s cynical.
Hansen too.

At the same time.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:53 am
obelixtim wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:09 am The Oz meeja are prolly pissed off that Cheika is no longer there shit stirring as he always did with the ABs, and giving them plenty of talking points and click bait.

What did the Oz meeja say that made you think they were angry. What click baiting did the Oz meeja do?

I must have made a mistake. Obviously the Aussie meeja didn't write this for their audience.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:51 am

Good on them.

Me Thinks he confused kiwis articles for Oz - doubt we'll see him on this thread again, unless his extensive searching on google digs up something from the Atherton Tablelands Advertiser.
Methinks you can't read.
towny

Post by towny »

obelixtim wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:48 pm

Good on them.

Methinks you can't read.
Shut up cnut. You’re done.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

we've got a bottle of New Zealand's best red wine,

Bastards.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:50 pm
obelixtim wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:48 pm

Good on them.

Methinks you can't read.
Shut up cnut. You’re done.
Lost yet again, arsehole.
grievous

Post by grievous »

So just under our coaches? :lol:
Luckily NZ players dont act like their fans.
grievous

Post by grievous »

obelixtim wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:47 pm
towny wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:53 am

I must have made a mistake. Obviously the Aussie meeja didn't write this for their audience.
News.co.au = Oz media :lol:
They havent reported on rugby for months until the weekend.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

The Kiwi media really are something special. They turn on their own like sharks when things don't go their way.

Guarantee you that if the ABs had won on the weekend the hack who wrote this piece would be gushing about how humble the ABs were in victory...letting the poor Wallabies into their inner sanctum.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Thomas wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:19 pm The Kiwi media really are something special. They turn on their own like sharks when things don't go their way.

Guarantee you that if the ABs had won on the weekend the hack who wrote this piece would be gushing about how humble the ABs were in victory...letting the poor Wallabies into their inner sanctum.
I really hope the article would have been about how only 40 - 60% of the players were worthy to come in.
Meanwhile in Australia someone would have taken out a full time add with a picture of Aretha Franklin...
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

grievous wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:52 pm

So just under our coaches? :lol:
Luckily NZ players dont act like their fans.
Well I believe it was the Dingo Deans era that started the non mixing/socialising and he is a Kiwi you realise?
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Its a nice gesture - although didnt they do it out on the field for the saffers, maybe Habana?
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:37 am Its a nice gesture - although didnt they do it out on the field for the saffers, maybe Habana?
De Villiers too.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:37 am Its a nice gesture - although didnt they do it out on the field for the saffers, maybe Habana?
Did you see the weather. Get inside and do it.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

If I had the chance to listen to the dulcet tones of a shirtless Michael Hooper I'd be plying him with booze too
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Enzedder wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:47 am
Did you see the weather. Get inside and do it.
Well now thats just too nice.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Kahu wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:50 am If I had the chance to listen to the dulcet tones of a shirtless Michael Hooper I'd be plying him with booze too
:lol: