Wallabies v All-Blacks - Bledisloe II - Official Match Thread

All things Rugby
Mog The Almighty

Wallabies v All-Blacks - Bledisloe II - Official Match Thread

Post by Mog The Almighty »

VS

@

Eden Park, Aukland

Kick Off: Sunday, 18 October, 2020, 5am (Swedish Time Image) ... (4pm local time)

Betting Odds: New Zealand 1.15, Australia 5.60 (Unibet.se)

REFEREE: Angus Gardner (RA)

ASSISTANT REFEREE 1: Ben O'Keeffe (NZR)

ASSISTANT REFEREE 2: Paul Williams (NZR)

TMO: Mike Fraser (NZR)

New Zealand Team: ALL BLACKS (1-15): Joe Moody, Dane Coles, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Patrick Tuipulotu, Tupou Vaa'i, Shannon Frizell, Sam Cane (c), Ardie Savea, Aaron Smith, Richie Mo'unga, Caleb Clarke, Jack Goodhue, Anton Lienert-Brown, Jordie Barrett, Beauden Barrett

Reserves: Codie Taylor, Alex Hodgman,Nepo Laulala, Scott Barrett, Hoskins Sotutu, TJ Perenara, Rieko Ioane, Damian McKenzie

---

Australian Team: WALLABIES (1-15): James Slipper, Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Taniela Tupou, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Matt Philip, Ned Hanigan, Michael Hooper (c), Harry Wilson, Nic White, James O'Connor, Marika Koroibete, Matt To'omua, Hunter Paisami, Filipo Daugunu, Tom Banks

Reserves: Jordan Uelese, Scott Sio, Allan Alaalaota, Rob Simmons, Liam Wright, Jake Gordon, Jordan Petaia, Reece Hodge
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
towny

Re: Wallabies v All-Blacks - Bledisloe II - Official Match Thread

Post by towny »

Update this with the Oz team please. I would like to wax lyrically about confirmed good-guy, BPA.
Mog The Almighty

towny wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:44 am Update this with the Oz team please. I would like to wax lyrically about confirmed good-guy, BPA.
Has a team been named? I don't know if the one in the Wob thread is just the speculation of some hack at the Daily Telegraph or if it's a leaked team or if it's officially been named somewhere... ?
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

6.Jones wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:03 pm Image
Nice pic of Cape Town's urban fringe :thumbup:
6.Jones

Post by 6.Jones »

There once was a time on here when almost every international game was played there. Oh, the past.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

AB team news

'All Blacks Sevu Reece and Tyrel Lomax will not be playing. Both have been released to play for Tasman in the Mitre 10 Cup. '
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

1. Joe Moody (47)
2. Dane Coles (70)
3. Ofa Tuungafasi (36)
4. Patrick Tuipulotu (31)
5. Tupou Vaa’i (1)
6. Shannon Frizell (10)
7. Sam Cane (69) - captain
8. Ardie Savea (45)
9. Aaron Smith (93)
10. Richie Mo’unga (18)
11. Caleb Clarke (1)
12. Jack Goodhue (14)
13. Anton Lienert-Brown (44)
14. Jordie Barrett (18)
15. Beauden Barrett (84)
16. Codie Taylor (51)
17. Alex Hodgman - debut
18. Nepo Laulala (27)
19. Scott Barrett (36)
20. Hoskins Sotutu (1)
21. TJ Perenara (65)
22. Rieko Ioane (30)
23. Damian McKenzie (24)
rugga.

Post by rugga. »

Fozzie keeps giving the wrong Jersey to ALB and Goodhue.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Where is big Karl? Not on the pine.
rugga.

Post by rugga. »

Australia out to $5.25 at the TAB,might be worth a flutter
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

WALLABIES (1-15): James Slipper, Brandon Paenga-Amosa, Taniela Tupou, Lukhan Salakaia-Loto, Matt Philip, Ned Hanigan, Michael Hooper (c), Harry Wilson, Nic White, James O'Connor, Marika Koroibete, Matt To'omua, Hunter Paisami, Filipo Daugunu, Tom Banks

Reserves: Jordan Uelese, Scott Sio, Allan Alaalaota, Rob Simmons, Liam Wright, Jake Gordon, Jordan Petaia, Reece Hodge
:uhoh:
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Hanigan???
shanky

Post by shanky »

Nice OP

Hanigan there for the lineout mostly.

And perhaps a bit more speed to the breakdown. Samu was disappointingly quiet last week in that regard. Wright in tow for the same reason I suspect.

Those were the two areas we got dominated.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Well that is the team that was leaked, so no huge surprises there.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

obelixtim wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:37 pm Where is big Karl? Not on the pine.
Can't have been impressed with his impact, particularly the penalty. Whereas I thought Lomax did well in his time, but he's out too.

Big game for young Vaa'i. Not the beefiest pack.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Looking at the team to me the expectation (from the coaches) is that all players step up - very few played matched or played better than their opposites last week.

So looking forward to a broader improvement across the team - less mistakes (turnovers/knock-on's) overall - and just better quality execution.

From the reserves - especially the back reserves - i'm looking for them to make a difference to the game (there is 120 caps between them).
grievous

Post by grievous »

obelixtim wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:52 pm Hanigan???
Rennie wanted some soft beefcake for the lady viewers.....I cannot think of another reason he is there
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

I like the ABs side. How the hell do we blame Fozzie if we lose though?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Enzedder wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:09 am I like the ABs side. How the hell do we blame Fozzie if we lose though?
Selection isn't the only work a Head Coach does.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

This is the first time I've seen an ABs XV and genuinely had no idea who one of the starters is. Tupou Vaa’i? Compare him to Dominic Bird for me.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Zakar wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:51 am This is the first time I've seen an ABs XV and genuinely had no idea who one of the starters is. Tupou Vaa’i? Compare him to Dominic Bird for me.
He's a shorter, lighter, more mobile, less experienced version of Bird.

He's the luckiest man in NZ rugby but is rated by some fairly knowledgable people. I saw nothing during Super Rugby Aotearo to suggest he is an All Black, but I guess we will all know a bit more come Sunday.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:59 am
Zakar wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:51 am This is the first time I've seen an ABs XV and genuinely had no idea who one of the starters is. Tupou Vaa’i? Compare him to Dominic Bird for me.

He's the luckiest man in NZ rugby but is rated by some fairly knowledgable people. I saw nothing during Super Rugby Aotearo to suggest he is an All Black, but I guess we will all know a bit more come Sunday.
There were definite signs that he was worthy of becoming a project for the future. Dumped into the deep end too soon for mine so I hope they don't scrap him if he stuffs up
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I appreciate the Bird comparison. :thumbup:

I've long believed that Whitelock and Brodie (and to a lesser extent Barrett) have been the engine room of your success over the past decade or so. Must be the first time in a while without at least one of them starting. Paging Naki to the White courtsey phone, Naki to the white courtesey phone...
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Enzedder wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:01 am

There were definite signs that he was worthy of becoming a project for the future. Dumped into the deep end too soon for mine so I hope they don't scrap him if he stuffs up
Very young for an international lock. Hope he doesn't become Isacc Ross 2.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Zakar wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:11 am

I've long believed that Whitelock and Brodie (and to a lesser extent Barrett) have been the engine room of your success over the past decade or so. Must be the first time in a while without at least one of them starting. Paging Naki to the White courtsey phone, Naki to the white courtesey phone...
Chicago 2016 perhaps.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Mr Mike wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:16 am

Chicago 2016 perhaps.
Who partnered Kaino that day?
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

booji boy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:48 am

Chicago 2016 perhaps.
Scott Barrett, who scored a try if I remember correctly.
capt hurricane

Post by capt hurricane »

I think we will feel the loss of Whitelock, and Scott Barrett might be on the field sooner than he thinks. Vaai is still unproven at this level, and Tuipolotu is still prone to inconsistency. We miss Lurch!

The midfield lacks a strong ball runner. ALB and Goodhue are good at running the gaps, but do not commit defenders in the style of a Nonu or SBW. Could be an opportunity for Clarke to come in off the wing and cause havoc!

Mounga remains a concern. Barrett seems to have an age to make a decision, whereas Mounga seems rushed. He will need to be protected, either by the ref or by the loosies! Still not convinced he has the goods in a test match. The best 10 in the world has been shifted to fullback to accommodate him, the best fullback in NZ has been stuck on the wing to accommodate that. So many backline issues could be solved by benchint Mounga, then Beauden is where he needs to be, Jordie is where he needs to be, and get Will Jordan on the wing in 14!

Frizzell needs to step up, and Cane, although he is a great tackler, he is not the presence at the breakdown that he needs to be. He's a 7 playing like a 6, so why not stick him there, Ardie at 7 and start Sotutu, with Frizzell on the bench.

Good to see Coles starting. Bit of a card magnet, but if he arcs up at a few late hits from the Wallabies on the number 10, it might bring more attention from the referee on to what the Wallaby loosies are doing there.

Biggest selection issue is still the coach!
Last edited by capt hurricane on Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

shanky wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:57 pm Nice OP

Hanigan there for the lineout mostly.

And perhaps a bit more speed to the breakdown. Samu was disappointingly quiet last week in that regard. Wright in tow for the same reason I suspect.

Those were the two areas we got dominated.
Third jumper needed because BPA couldn't hit a cow in the arse with a handful of gravel
shanky

Post by shanky »

Well, quite.
kiwinoz

Post by kiwinoz »

So many backline issues could be solved by benchint Mounga, then Beauden is where he needs to be, Jordie is where he needs to be, and get Will Jordan on the wing in 14!
Swap ALB and Goodhue and its good.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Whatever wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:33 am
obelixtim wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:37 pm Where is big Karl? Not on the pine.
Can't have been impressed with his impact, particularly the penalty. Whereas I thought Lomax did well in his time, but he's out too.

Big game for young Vaa'i. Not the beefiest pack.
Good, I thought Karl was gash. "Who's this joker from one of the leaners at The Featherston?", I thought to myself as he made multiple errors in a short space of time.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Every now and again All Black coaching teams like to identify a project player, to prove their mad coachin' skillz.

Most of the time they are shit, but occasionally they unearth a star.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Two cracks at it, both wrong. It's courtesy.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

capt hurricane wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:28 am I think we will feel the loss of Whitelock, and Scott Barrett might be on the field sooner than he thinks. Vaai is still unproven at this level, and Tuipolotu is still prone to inconsistency. We miss Lurch!

The midfield lacks a strong ball runner. ALB and Goodhue are good at running the gaps, but do not commit defenders in the style of a Nonu or SBW. Could be an opportunity for Clarke to come in off the wing and cause havoc!

Mounga remains a concern. Barrett seems to have an age to make a decision, whereas Mounga seems rushed. He will need to be protected, either by the ref or by the loosies! Still not convinced he has the goods in a test match. The best 10 in the world has been shifted to fullback to accommodate him, the best fullback in NZ has been stuck on the wing to accommodate that. So many backline issues could be solved by benchint Mounga, then Beauden is where he needs to be, Jordie is where he needs to be, and get Will Jordan on the wing in 14!

Frizzell needs to step up, and Cane, although he is a great tackler, he is not the presence at the breakdown that he needs to be. He's a 7 playing like a 6, so why not stick him there, Ardie at 7 and start Sotutu, with Frizzell on the bench.

Good to see Coles starting. Bit of a card magnet, but if he arcs up at a few late hits from the Wallabies on the number 10, it might bring more attention from the referee on to what the Wallaby loosies are doing there.

Biggest selection issue is still the coach!
As has been proven time and again since the start of the 2017 test season, Barrett is not the best 10 in the world.

He might have been a star when test defences gave him all the time in the world, but 2016 was rather a long time ago.

He had few answers to a rush defence and when that finally became clear to the coaching staff, he was replaced by a better player.
Wignu

Post by Wignu »

Which in the main RMo is struggling with as well so perhaps they need to come up with a team strategy (not going to happen with Foster though probably) to negate the rush.

Don't get me wrong I think RMo should be the 10 & persevered with, Beaudy should come on as the super sub, putting him at fullback doesn't seem to be helping. Given his brother & Will Jordan have better current form at FB either one should fill it.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Whatever wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:51 am
booji boy wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:48 am

Chicago 2016 perhaps.
Scott Barrett, who scored a try if I remember correctly.
Nah just looked it up. It was Patrick Tuipulotu. Scott Barrett was on the bench and came on and scored a try. Again a poor selection by Hansen. The reason Kaino was playing out of position at lock was that he thought Barrett was too inexperienced to start so he starts ths worlds best blindside flanker at lock and leaves an actual lock on the bench. :roll:

Actually he did the same thing in reverse at last year's RWC. Played a lock, Barrett, at blindside flanker.
Mog The Almighty

grievous wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:43 am
obelixtim wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:52 pm Hanigan???
Rennie wanted some soft beefcake for the lady viewers.....I cannot think of another reason he is there
This is the reason I believe he's under-rated - because he's a handsome surfer-looking guy. He's actually a farmer from Coonamble but hey.

I know he his his short-comings, but he's young, can fill a few positions and plays with heart. I still hope he steps up in his physicality anyway. His lineout-jumping and speed around the park has always been there, which might be another reason for his alleged selection (quicker to the breakdowns).