Love this Old School Rugby sa is playing now

All things Rugby
OomStruisbaai

Re: Love this Old School Rugby sa is playing now

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:17 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:58 am Only an idiot would say today's SR is better than that of 1995-2005.
Today's SR has been thrown together due to international travel being banned up until a couple of months ago. Only an idiot would make a comparison to the current comps that have been hastily assembled in the middle of a global pandemic.

Next year's Trans Tasman comp, featuring NZ, Australian and PI teams, will be vastly superior to every other format of SR including the original Super 12. We didn't know it back then, but that format was always destined to fail. Teams would be on the road for 4-5 weeks at a time, playing at 3am. That's not sustainable in today's highly competitive sports environment. I follow the North QLD Cowboys in the NRL and I simply cannot imagine a scenario where they disappear from the public's conscience for 4-5 weeks at a time.
Yeah vok ja, always know you have vokol rugby culture. Stick to league.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

To get this back on track. Rassie realized that we can't play like that and changed many rules to speed up our game.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Muttonbirds wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:58 am I thought SA teams added a lot to SR before the expansion and conference system. All teams had a tour, best players in the world, like a RWC pool round every single week. It was great.

Then SNAZAR fudged it all up in the chase for cash. :(

Rugby for me has always had 3am kick offs, it's tradition for NZ rugby fans going back to The Originals, 110 years ago.
1981 best memories was waking up at 4 except the Waikato match.

Look like the new way forward may bring back the tours like the Lions one coming up.

Those tours everybody talked rugby in SA even the cats and dogs.

Kids collected cards knowing each All Black province, length, weight, ext.
Midfieldmaestro

Post by Midfieldmaestro »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:17 am I've loved the having the South African teams banished from Super Rugby.........blah blah
Are you and Booze twin brothers? or was it just coincidental that when oom Struisbaai quoted Booze on his SARU will go bankrupt ranting that you then replied immediately in an Old School SA Rugby thread ? The last place an Ozzie League supporter is expected to reply.
You both (Booze and Ali's Choice) pick the same AB team.
You both are against the Lions Tours. Both call Saffers cvnts. Both talk of 'the SARU' and both rant when Saru is making money and both are active in an Ols school SA rugby thread. MW!
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Midfieldmaestro wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:23 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:17 am I've loved the having the South African teams banished from Super Rugby.........blah blah
Are you and Booze twin brothers? or was it just coincidental that when oom Struisbaai quoted Booze on his SARU will go bankrupt ranting that you then replied immediately in an Old School SA Rugby thread ? The last place an Ozzie League supporter is expected to reply.
You both are against the Lions Tours. Both call Saffers cvnts. Both talk of 'the SARU' and both rant when Saru is making money and both are active in an Ols school SA rugby thread. MW!
What an utterly stupid post. I'm not against the Lions tour, whatever gave you that idea? Stupidity? It will be the worst Lions tour ever, played in front of empty stadiums, but I wish you all the best.

I will never forgive the SARU for the way they fleeced both the NZR and RA last year. They demanded to get paid despite not sending a team to the RC. Never in the history of pro Rugby hsa a country been paid for not showing up to a tournament. The SARU are absolute c**ts for doing that and I hope the game of Rugby dies in SA as a result.
Midfieldmaestro

Swallow the WC win
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:38 pm
What an utterly stupid post. I'm not against the Lions tour, whatever gave you that idea? Stupidity? It will be the worst Lions tour ever, played in front of empty stadiums, but I wish you all the best.

I will never forgive the SARU for the way they fleeced both the NZR and RA last year. They demanded to get paid despite not sending a team to the RC. Never in the history of pro Rugby hsa a country been paid for not showing up to a tournament. The SARU are absolute c**ts for doing that and I hope the game of Rugby dies in SA as a result.
Typical league mentality. No rugby supporter would want rugby to die in whatever country.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:43 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:58 am I thought SA teams added a lot to SR before the expansion and conference system. All teams had a tour, best players in the world, like a RWC pool round every single week. It was great.

Then SNAZAR fudged it all up in the chase for cash. :(

Rugby for me has always had 3am kick offs, it's tradition for NZ rugby fans going back to The Originals, 110 years ago.
1981 best memories was waking up at 4 except the Waikato match.

Look like the new way forward may bring back the tours like the Lions one coming up.

Those tours everybody talked rugby in SA even the cats and dogs.

Kids collected cards knowing each All Black province, length, weight, ext.

I can guarantee that that bloody tour wasn’t nearly as celebrated here in New Zealand.

It was a disaster that never should have happened and utterly split the country and ruined rugby’s image which had only started to recover nearly a decade later .

Two of our best ever refused to play for our national team , including our captain .

Gee, thanks for nothing .
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

2 out of 15 is a fantastic percentage.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

You might find it acceptable. But Mourie was one of our greatest captains . Robertson perhaps our best centre ever .

It was a shitty time for rugby here , not that you give a f*uck.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

The 1981 All Blacks vs Springbokke series produce some outstanding rugby.

The Springbok players stayed in unreal conditions to play the series of their life.

It was like a dream come true for them and their supporters.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

I’m afraid neither the quality of the rugby nor the reality of the apartheid Springboks touring seemed nearly as impressive to New Zealanders .

Our experience was more nightmare than dream . It was a relief when the series was over and your team returned home .

Quite frankly it’s a shameful episode in New Zealand rugby history and few if any are proud of that ugly and injurious decision that a very cynical government made with the complicity of the NZRU.

Our family was divided and some relationships were never the same after , it was a very dark time .

Frankly your response is reflective of the country you lived in then , insular, self interested and determinedly oblivious to the harm caused by its ghastly politics and racist society .

As I said , thanks for nothing .
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Eugenius wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:46 pm I’m afraid neither the quality of the rugby nor the reality of the apartheid Springboks touring seemed nearly as impressive to New Zealanders .

Our experience was more nightmare than dream . It was a relief when the series was over and your team returned home .

Quite frankly it’s a shameful episode in New Zealand rugby history and few if any are proud of that ugly and injurious decision that a very cynical government made with the complicity of the NZRU.

Our family was divided and some relationships were never the same after , it was a very dark time .

Frankly your response is reflective of the country you lived in then , insular, self interested and determinedly oblivious to the harm caused by its ghastly politics and racist society .

I went to a couple of games during the test including test in Wellington, must admit at time I was all for it, but on reflection I would probably have had maybe made different decisions.

I actually think at times it became a matter of principles on freedoms for some people and whole lot of reasoning went out of window on both sides of argument. Some thinking we had right to play game no matter what and rugby was more important etc were wrong, as were many that got on the protest for a protest sakes, and carrying kids to front of lines was not really doing anyone any good.

Daughter has a SA friend she works with and says after talking to her she almost pleased it went ahead as it was first time in SA they has news etc and realisation that there were strong protests about the issue outside the country.

I know my sister told me how much it got to her husband who was the major in Army who was responsible for al the wire barbed wire etc at games, he was wrecked thinking NZ had got to point that we had to do that to play rugby.
I remember my father in law watching games at my place because MIL wouldn't have them on in house, and yes there were many houses where there was a split, although to blame Boks for the behaviour of our people is stretching things a little I think.

And to be honest if relationships are still strained after 40 years because someone was for or against, just maybe they weren't strong before hand.

But all in all as I said on reflection I not sure I or quite a number of others would of made decisions we did then.
Midfieldmaestro

If only you could have had a relationship fixer as mr Mandela because its unhealthy having a split after 40 years still (for some or most I'm not sure)
Last edited by Midfieldmaestro on Sun May 30, 2021 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Truth is I was a kid and completely conflicted about the tour , I loathed the Boks with a passion and wanted to see them beaten . With the arrogance of a teenager I thought teachers that gave us information about apartheid and encouraged protest were a more visceral enemy and I reacted against them loudest .

Once the Boks were here I thought it might have more effect just to give them a good hiding . Stupid stuff and I never thought how the protests might be seen in South Africa for the first time getting through the sickening censorship. I went to the test here and tried to enjoy it as the AB’s thumped them with Stu Wilson as makeshift centre carving them up . Stu bloody Wilson !?!

Instead the atmosphere was strained , scared and seriously very unrugby like . There was talk of a bomb under the embankment, I was very unsure that I was on the right side .

After the game I decided to protest the tour even if at the same time I watched the tests with a passion .

The last test was a joke , and certainly not because of the referring. The AB’s were absolutely in control the forwards dominant and playing at a pace that had the Boks gasping. Then a long break caused by Knight being hit by the flour bomb and the plane getting closer and closer to the stands allowed the Boks back in the game .

But truthfully I was over it by then .

Comments like that highlighted by a South African supporter that if it were in South Africa the plane would have been shot down only served to show the immaturity of thinking .

I finally got it .

Abit older and much wiser I opposed any further contact with the Apartheid state especially rugby . My first letter to the editor was to Bob Howlett of the Rugby News calling Andy Hayden’s Cavaliers prostitutes and saying how sad was that the decision was made to go . I’ve never watched the games .
Last edited by Eugenius on Mon May 31, 2021 1:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Midfieldmaestro wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 11:11 pm If only you could have had a relationship fixer as mr Mandela because its unhealthy having a split after 40 years still (for some or most I'm not sure)
Obviously there must have been strains before but cousins of mine met as protesters and rugby crowd , it didn’t go well .
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

Bulls Stormers a test match on Saturday
This is what I love and meant by old school rugby.
Every game counts now. Tours I meant the B + I Lions tour

Not a nz government decision when some of us had not even been born
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

North vs South rivalry. With Spekman move to the Stormers you can expect more running from the Stormers.
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 10:17 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:58 am Only an idiot would say today's SR is better than that of 1995-2005.
Today's SR has been thrown together due to international travel being banned up until a couple of months ago. Only an idiot would make a comparison to the current comps that have been hastily assembled in the middle of a global pandemic.

Next year's Trans Tasman comp, featuring NZ, Australian and PI teams, will be vastly superior to every other format of SR including the original Super 12. We didn't know it back then, but that format was always destined to fail. Teams would be on the road for 4-5 weeks at a time, playing at 3am. That's not sustainable in today's highly competitive sports environment. I follow the North QLD Cowboys in the NRL and I simply cannot imagine a scenario where they disappear from the public's conscience for 4-5 weeks at a time.
Yeah, ok, today's SR is an interim measure but the SR has steadily been moving to this point for some years now. A bizarre profit first strategy, expansion at all costs, etc, with seemingly no regard for what actually made rugby tick.

The All Blacks' reputation is literally built on 3am games. It is where they announced themselves to the world 100 years ago. The spiritual guardianship was forged at 3am in New Zealand when our small nation did battle and beat the very biggest.

I stopped showing an interest in franchise rugby when they diluted it. I admire your optimism about a SR Pacific platform but to say it will be better than the Super 12 comp is a ludicrous statement and I truely think you don't mean it.
grievous

Post by grievous »

OomStruisbaai wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 3:30 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:38 pm

Typical league mentality. No rugby supporter would want rugby to die in whatever country.
Yep, hes a sad poster that has a go at the game because he hates...just about everything....weird how a dyed in he wool NRL supporter spends so much time in here.
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

Dan54. wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:29 pm
Eugenius wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:46 pm I’m afraid neither the quality of the rugby nor the reality of the apartheid Springboks touring seemed nearly as impressive to New Zealanders .

I went to a couple of games during the test including test in Wellington, must admit at time I was all for it, but on reflection I would probably have had maybe made different decisions.

I actually think at times it became a matter of principles on freedoms for some people and whole lot of reasoning went out of window on both sides of argument. Some thinking we had right to play game no matter what and rugby was more important etc were wrong, as were many that got on the protest for a protest sakes, and carrying kids to front of lines was not really doing anyone any good.

Daughter has a SA friend she works with and says after talking to her she almost pleased it went ahead as it was first time in SA they has news etc and realisation that there were strong protests about the issue outside the country.

I know my sister told me how much it got to her husband who was the major in Army who was responsible for al the wire barbed wire etc at games, he was wrecked thinking NZ had got to point that we had to do that to play rugby.
I remember my father in law watching games at my place because MIL wouldn't have them on in house, and yes there were many houses where there was a split, although to blame Boks for the behaviour of our people is stretching things a little I think.

And to be honest if relationships are still strained after 40 years because someone was for or against, just maybe they weren't strong before hand.

But all in all as I said on reflection I not sure I or quite a number of others would of made decisions we did then.
I was teaching at a secondary school in Hastings at the time, and coached one of the school teams, (we had about 6 teams each year). Every one of us who coached teams that year for Saturday morning rugby, quit coaching that year. And we all loved rugby. It was a very difficult thing to do, as it was the kids who missed out, but the message it sent to the NZRFU was important.

I actually went to Australia for a few weeks in the middle of the tour, just to get away from the shit that was flying around, and all my Kiwi mates in Oz kept asking what the hell was going on back home. I had a simple answer. "Its war mate". And it was.

That tour cost the NZRFU an enormous amount of goodwill, which was starting to come right a few years later, when the Cavaliers tour went ahead and pissed everyone off, all over again.

The 1987 RWC saved rugby in NZ.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

It’s surprises me so many Saffers happily romanticise the 81 tour . Whilst I guess they were absolutely hanging for proper test rugby after years of isolation , couldn’t they see what it was doing to our country ?

Did they even give a shit ?
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

Eugenius wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:51 am It’s surprises me so many Saffers happily romanticise the 81 tour . Whilst I guess they were absolutely hanging for proper test rugby after years of isolation , couldn’t they see what it was doing to our country ?

They were at war. I can't see them protesting or writing about it. Most men and it include black brown and white ages 18 - 60 were in the bushwar with Russia Cuba and other forces as below

https://youtu.be/s21MTzNfXQM
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

ZuluBoy wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:25 pm
Eugenius wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:51 am It’s surprises me so many Saffers happily romanticise the 81 tour . Whilst I guess they were absolutely hanging for proper test rugby after years of isolation , couldn’t they see what it was doing to our country ?

They were at war. I can't see them protesting or writing about it. Most men and it include black brown and white ages 18 - 60 were in the bushwar with Russia Cuba and other forces as below

https://youtu.be/s21MTzNfXQM
Nah, one of the 1981 Bokke vok his girlfriend while on tour
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

ZuluBoy wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 6:11 am Bulls Stormers a test match on Saturday
This is what I love and meant by old school rugby.
Every game counts now. Tours I meant the B + I Lions tour

Not a nz government decision when some of us had not even been born
Must admit Zulu ,I will be keeping am aye out for this game on TV, and yep I like the old school rugby when I see a couple of top SA teams take to each other.

I have said and always will that Super rugby is poorer without the SA teams in it. I like Muttonbird remember getteing up at 3am to watch tests way before super was thought of whether from SA, Wales or wherever, and anyone saying it too hard these days when you can record matches are being a touch precious. He's also right in saying Super was never as good once it expanded (and SA were one who insisted on more teams), but we got what we got so I just watch what I can and enjoy Super as it is now and catching some games from SA.
To be honest anyone who thinks that Super even with a couple of PI teams in it (which I am stoked about) is going to be as good as original Super 12, maybe don't remember how good it was in first 6-8 years. It could be an age thing , but it had almost sell out crowds, every bugger watched it in tv etc.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

But to be fair Eug, as I said daughter's mate said that was first knew that world was protesting as their papers hadn't ever written about it.
It put me in mind of what was happening in NZ during 70s with the dawn raid of Islander's homes and schools etc in Auckland, our papers never wrote much about it and not many of us ever questioned it.

Wasn't until a few years after that until I realised that we (and I gather SA would be same) were really living in a world where all our info came from papers and what they chose to write.
Last edited by Dan54. on Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Well that’s nonsense.

The dawn raids were indeed well covered by the media especially television . It was a huge controversy and Muldoon faced serious criticism.

Even tho the SA censorship was far far stricter and political, simply watching the games would have provided enough information to see how volatile was the situation.

If all the men were ‘at war’ however , how did they have the time to follow the rugby at all ?
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Eugenius wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:14 pm Well that’s nonsense.

The dawn raids were indeed well covered by the media especially television . It was a huge controversy and Muldoon faced serious criticism.

Even tho the SA censorship was far far stricter and political, simply watching the games would have provided enough information to see how volatile was the situation.

If all the men were ‘at war’ however , how did they have the time to follow the rugby at all ?
I agree, but that is exactly what I say, many saw it because they watched games. I hated the Apartheid system, and as I said I think I may have quite different opinions whether it should of gone ahead to what I had in those days, and perhaps I know a lot more now to, or opened my eyes ?
To be honest I think we should of looked very seriously at playing sport with USA with their laws in many states during the 70s too, but I think we closed our eyes to that too.
I think we were all blinded by Sports and politics don't mix, when it suit us!
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

What’s perhaps highly relevant here is at least in the 70’s blacks represented the United States and Maori didn’t have to be ‘honorary whites’ to compete against them .
Midfieldmaestro

There were so many Kiwis happy with us in SA when mr. Mandela lifted the WC
Last edited by Midfieldmaestro on Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Midfieldmaestro

j.d. shickerling in the running. haven't seen much of him. willl have to see against bulls
naki111

Post by naki111 »

Eugenius wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:51 am It’s surprises me so many Saffers happily romanticise the 81 tour .
It shouldn't.
ZuLurk

Post by ZuLurk »

Midfieldmaestro wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:30 am j.d. shickerling in the running. haven't seen much of him. willl have to see against bulls
I doubt though if any late performances will sway the selectors choices
I think two locks will come out of Stormers and Bulls. Ruan Nortje' is pretty close. Moerat injured
...maar kom ons gebruik liewer sa return to play vir ons discussions... hy wil apartheit laat opstaan uit die dood ...en ons met n stok te wil bly blixem daaroor en waaroor nie ons skuld
Last edited by ZuLurk on Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

naki111 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:20 am
Eugenius wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:51 am It’s surprises me so many Saffers happily romanticise the 81 tour .
It shouldn't.
Hey many kiwis still romanticise the 81 tour as a victory for whatever like democracy etc. don't think anyone was innocent in it!
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Midfieldmaestro wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:30 am j.d. shickerling in the running. haven't seen much of him. willl have to see against bulls
He destroyed the Sharks lineout. Made the most tackles of both teams . Not easy to outscore PSdT on tackling.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

ZuluBoy wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:50 am
I doubt though if any late performances will sway the selectors choices
I think two locks will come out of Stormers and Bulls. Ruan Nortje' is pretty close. Moerat injured
...maar kom ons gebruik liewer sa return to play vir ons discussions... hy wil apartheit laat opstaan uit die dood ...en ons met n stok te wil bly blixem daaroor en waaroor nie ons skuld
Dis ou vergete dooie trolling. Ignore net.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Dan54. wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:55 am
naki111 wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:20 am
It shouldn't.
Hey many kiwis still romanticise the 81 tour as a victory for whatever like democracy etc. don't think anyone was innocent in it!

Very few now mate .

Only the determined weirdos and a few conspiracy nuts .
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Midfieldmaestro wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:36 am There were so many Kiwis happy with us in SA when mr. Mandela lifted the WC

We actually rationalised the unhappy event pretty quickly realising that it clearly meant so much for the new South Africa .

Can you imagine if the Boks lost ?

Jesus .