Gregor Paul: "The Wallabies don't do genuine hard men"

All things Rugby
MrDominator

Gregor Paul: "The Wallabies don't do genuine hard men"

Post by MrDominator »

Very true:
"That one act of belligerence set the tone for the 80 minutes and had a huge impact on the test because clearly Tupou didn't like being singled out by such a deliberate act of aggression, and like many self-styled Wallabies hard men of the past, discovered, in front of 45,000 New Zealanders at Eden Park, that he was nowhere near as tough as he thought," Paul wrote.

"What the All Blacks remembered at Eden Park is that Australia doesn't actually do genuine hard men."
Hardness by rugby breed:

1. The Saxon yeoman (less belligerent than some others on this list, but possessed of an ingrained stubbornness that trumps all)

2. The New Zealander (frontier edge allied with a natural, Saxon-like stubbornness)

3. The Boer (big, feral backwoodsmen; natural hardcases by dint of upbringing)

Daylight

4. The Argentine (nasty mob with a sly Latin edge, but don't like it up 'em)

5. The Frog (ferociously aggressive at times, but not good in retreat - lacking in stubbornness)

6. The Welshman (a pastier version of the Frog - enjoy a good brawl, but lack phlegm when the going gets tough)

More daylight

7. The Gael (a few decent specimens, usually from Ulster, but mostly lacking in true dog when the vibe turns edgy)

8. The Scot (the less said, the better)

9. The Australian rugger man (silver spooned, weak-willed half-men. Everyone knows that all the real hard cases in Australia play League).
iarmhiman

Re: Gregor Paul: "The Wallabies don't do genuine hard men"

Post by iarmhiman »

Good thread for getting a reaction I guess.

When the Scots were good in the amateur days it was because of their clever play. They knew what they could get away with and they nailed the rucking technique under the old laws and in days when it was impossible to get fast ball, they could

I'd have the Boers as the most physical. The RWC final proved when it came down to hits and physical dominance, England couldn't live with South Africa,

Ireland need to be emotional and fired up to get that extra bit in the physical stakes otherwise they're relying on using clever tactics to beat the opposition. England last game at home in a 6 Nations 2011 springs to mind.
towny

Post by towny »

I am so triggered right now
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

That Scot Gregor Paul is a knob.

The perception the Boks are the most physical is still born from their traditional one dimensional play. Conversely for years the French were known as the ‘flair’ team as their tight game and set piece wasn’t comparable in quality. To be a truly dominant team, and be at the top for a long time in this professional day and age, you need to be excellent in the tight and loose.

iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

mr bungle wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:42 am That Scot Gregor Paul is a knob.

The perception the Boks are the most physical is still born from their traditional one dimensional play. Conversely for years the French were known as the ‘flair’ team as their tight game and set piece wasn’t comparable in quality. To be a truly dominant team, and be at the top for a long time in this professional day and age, you need to be excellent in the tight and loose.

While that's true, the RWC doesn't lie. New Zealand were smashed in the physical stakes by England who in turn got smashed by South Africa in the final. It was one dimensional rugby though so you're correct on that.

New Zealand have always beaten SA by running them ragged and tiring them out. And yes you're right. NZ don't always get the credit for their physicality which why they boss most breakdowns against teams.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Can't have the English at the top given that historically they've been very poor and don't tend to win anything.

Boer's at the top followed by kiwi farmers.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

iarmhiman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:31 am Good thread for getting a reaction I guess.

When the Scots were good in the amateur days it was because of their clever play. They knew what they could get away with and they nailed the rucking technique under the old laws and in days when it was impossible to get fast ball, they could

I'd have the Boers as the most physical. The RWC final proved when it came down to hits and physical dominance, England couldn't live with South Africa,

Ireland need to be emotional and fired up to get that extra bit in the physical stakes otherwise they're relying on using clever tactics to beat the opposition. England last game at home in a 6 Nations 2011 springs to mind.
I'd say the rwc proved that beating Australia, New Zealand and South Africa in successive weekends is a tough ask
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

message #2527204 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:12 am
iarmhiman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:31 am Good thread for getting a reaction I guess.

I'd say the rwc proved that beating Australia, New Zealand and South Africa in successive weekends is a tough ask
We're talking about the physical battle here. England were smashed in one dimensional rugby.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

iarmhiman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:13 am
message #2527204 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:12 am

We're talking about the physical battle here. England were smashed in one dimensional rugby.
I agree. Just saying that we'd probably have been smashed by any one of three after playing the two in successive weekends.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

mr bungle wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:42 am That Scot Gregor Paul is a knob.

The French have lost hardness in the professional era but there had never been a lack of hardness in the forwards - or for that matter in the set piece which was always a matter of intense pride, even before the effeminate high fives some of todays packs indulge in on the slightest pretext.

It has enjoyed good days against the Saffers but they have never bitched and whined like the kiwis did after defeats, notably the battle of Nantes.

Saffers 1, Kiwis 2 (Saxon yeomen :lol: nowhere)
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

The Boks are number 1 for sure.

Mr Dom rating the Welsh over his Irish Brethren is a suprise
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Also the sheer power in the English pack let's just say isn't Saxon. It's a combination of Tongan and Nigerian genes.
handyman

Post by handyman »

There's a documentary now showing in SA about the RWC win. Bongi said that before the games he pictured someone getting inside his house, taking over his belongings and family. With that mindset, he went into games.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

handyman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:45 am There's a documentary now showing in SA about the RWC win. Bongi said that before the games he pictured someone getting inside his house, taking over his belongings and family. With that mindset, he went into games.
Dammit we can't match that!
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

handyman wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:45 am There's a documentary now showing in SA about the RWC win. Bongi said that before the games he pictured someone getting inside his house, taking over his belongings and family. With that mindset, he went into games.
Natural advantage. Players from other places need to imagine it; Saffer players only have to spend too long at the shop.

OK OK I'm going now.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Not these days but back in the 90s/00s there were some guys that were tough in the forwards, Willie O, Finegan, Cockbain, Kearns, Scott-Young, Kefu, Paul, ..backs Grey, Herbert, Mortlock, Gregan (more brave than hard).
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

We are pretty soft.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

What about if we imagined some climate change deniers moving in next door, would that work? Just the thought of it makes me want to smash Vermeulen.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

I’m loving that the Kiwis are back to being their boastful cocky selves. All the negativity after the draw had me a bit worried.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Want a cuddle Dom?
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Bindi wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:39 am I’m loving that the Kiwis are back to being their boastful cocky selves. All the negativity after the draw had me a bit worried.
It only took a week. And what a quiet week it was. The NZ media wrote articles in hushed tones and questioned the tactics of the team. The army of barely literate kiwi scaffolders and fork lift drivers who trawl rugby social media sites were subdued. It was almost too good to be true.

But now we're back to the status quo. Yesterday a "ceiling fixer" called Shane (born in Christchurch, lives in Perth) on FB said the Wallabies new jersey was shit and that copying the AB culture manna (sic) and pride wouldn't win any games. It felt like a warm hug from an old relative.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Boys, I think you are making Mr Dom’s point for him. Ignore the nasty Irish troll and the mean Scotsman.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Thomas wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:01 am
Bindi wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:39 am I’m loving that the Kiwis are back to being their boastful cocky selves. All the negativity after the draw had me a bit worried.
It only took a week. And what a quiet week it was. The NZ media wrote articles in hushed tones and questioned the tactics of the team. The army of barely literate kiwi scaffolders and fork lift drivers who trawl rugby social media sites were subdued. It was almost too good to be true.

But now we're back to the status quo. Yesterday a "ceiling fixer" called Shane (born in Christchurch, lives in Perth) on FB said the Wallabies new jersey was shit and that copying the AB culture manna (sic) and pride wouldn't win any games. It felt like a warm hug from an old relative.
Perhaps you would have been happier if Shane had taken out a full page paper add supporting the ABs for making the Wallabies respect them again...

The reality of the situation is that it will not change until Australia starts to win games against the All Blacks regularly. If you would like to look for parallels look no further than cricket, and the approach by supporters for Australia & NZ games.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:10 am

Perhaps you would have been happier if Shane had taken out a full page paper add supporting the ABs for making the Wallabies respect them again...

The reality of the situation is that it will not change until Australia starts to win games against the All Blacks regularly. If you would like to look for parallels look no further than cricket, and the approach by supporters for Australia & NZ games.
Thanks, Shane.
Farva

Post by Farva »

I saw that comment. I think I shed a tear when I read it, it felt like things were going back to normal which we all want during this Covid period. This kiwi hushed attitude was really unsettling. Facebook just felt wrong.

On a side note Mr D is completely right. For example, I am not hard at all, rather a little squishy.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Farva wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:27 am

I saw that comment. I think I shed a tear when I read it, it felt like things were going back to normal which we all want during this Covid period. This kiwi hushed attitude was really unsettling. Facebook just felt wrong.

On a side note Mr D is completely right. For example, I am not hard at all, rather a little squishy.
I am also not hard.

And that comment was great. Dude reckoned the Wallabies were stealing the AB's colours (green is now black) as well. It's almost a meme at this point.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Thomas wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:31 am

I am also not hard.

And that comment was great. Dude reckoned the Wallabies were stealing the AB's colours (green is now black) as well. It's almost a meme at this point.
Not the All Blacks but green is clearly NZ's. When did you last hear "Clean Green Australia'? Never.

Now, how can we also get yellow?
Ogre

Post by Ogre »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:32 am

I am also not hard.

Not the All Blacks but green is clearly NZ's. When did you last hear "Clean Green Australia'? Never.

you mean canary yellow
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I'd say our national colours are #789487 and #bcc2a4
kiap

Post by kiap »

Ogre wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:40 am
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:32 am Not the All Blacks but green is clearly NZ's. When did you last hear "Clean Green Australia'? Never.

you mean canary yellow
That's Australian gold, my friend, and don't you fucken forget it.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:55 am I'd say our national colours are #789487 and #bcc2a4

too dull
rett

Post by rett »

Ogre wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:40 am
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:32 am

I am also not hard.

you mean canary yellow
Fuk you Tony.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

kiap wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:03 am
Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:55 am I'd say our national colours are #789487 and #bcc2a4

too dull
I was going for gum leaves.

Wattle would be
kiap

Post by kiap »

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:06 am
kiap wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:03 am

too dull
I was going for gum leaves.

Wattle would be
Fair emuff:

██████
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

Surely after last summer the gum leaves and wattle are now all black?
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

The All Blacks remind me of Bear Grylls. Sure he's awesome at survival in the wild but every now and again they need the referee to untangle the rope, or hand him the spare bottle of water or push him up that small opening. People don't care for that coz he's awesome 95% of the time. What they don't realise that without that extra little help by the ref he would've been dead on his own.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

They certainly did in the past, one of my favorites Simon Poidevin springs to mind.

TBF I don't think there are really that many genuine 'hard' players in many teams these days.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

I've yet to see an AB win a dust up. Any fat patchie