Second best Mafia movie?

All things Rugby

second best mafia movie?

godfather part 3
0
No votes
Miller's Crossing
2
4%
Once upon a time in America
4
8%
Casino
5
10%
Goodfellas
28
57%
The Irishman
1
2%
Scarface
3
6%
Eastern Promises
1
2%
Donnie Brasco
2
4%
The Departed
3
6%
 
Total votes: 49

User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 3926
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by fonzeee »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:14 pm
CanNZ2000 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:24 pm The Godfather Epic is obviously the best, which is #2
Goodfellas is #1.
Thank God somebody gets it :thumbup:
User avatar
Short Man Syndrome
Posts: 6117
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Front and centre.

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

fonzeee wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:57 am
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:14 pm
CanNZ2000 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:24 pm The Godfather Epic is obviously the best, which is #2
Goodfellas is #1.
Thank God somebody gets it :thumbup:
A shinebox?
User avatar
koroke hangareka
Posts: 2889
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by koroke hangareka »

Muttonbirds wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:20 am I don't agree with the celebration of crime, in any form. Do these stories really need to be told?
It's far from the best movie here but Godfather III finally makes clear the full scope of the awful abortion Michael Corleone has made of his family and his life. There's a lot more to the Godfather movies than a celebration of crime.
User avatar
fonzeee
Posts: 3926
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:10 pm
Location: Boston

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by fonzeee »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:43 am
fonzeee wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:57 am
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:14 pm
CanNZ2000 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:24 pm The Godfather Epic is obviously the best, which is #2
Goodfellas is #1.
Thank God somebody gets it :thumbup:
A shinebox?
Image
User avatar
Short Man Syndrome
Posts: 6117
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Front and centre.

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Top 3 things Joe Pesci has used to beat people up with:

1. The telephone receiver in Casino
2. The car door in Raging Bull
3. The vice in casino

Imagine only ever having seen Pesci in Home Alone, Lethal Weapon and My Cousin Vinny.
User avatar
dam0
Posts: 1962
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:52 am
Location: Spiritual Guardian

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by dam0 »

Goodfellas is the obvious choice, but I went for the departed. Great movie all round.
User avatar
mr bungle
Posts: 12519
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by mr bungle »

Bugsy Malone
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 15180
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Gomorrah
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 13068
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by UncleFB »

dam0 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:00 am Goodfellas is the obvious choice, but I went for the departed. Great movie all round.
I like the Departed but Infernal Affairs was just better. The one thing about the Departed that annoyed me was how time passed too quickly. In Infernal Affairs they were in deep for a long period of time, but it was all to quick for Leo.

Ps: You Goodfellas over Godfather people are so deluded.
User avatar
Newsome
Posts: 3345
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Newsome »

fonzeee wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:57 am
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:43 am
fonzeee wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:57 am
Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:14 pm
CanNZ2000 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:24 pm The Godfather Epic is obviously the best, which is #2
Goodfellas is #1.
Thank God somebody gets it :thumbup:
A shinebox?
Image
No, no, no, no, no. You insulted him a little bit. You got a little bit out of order yourself.
User avatar
BokJock
Posts: 5333
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:30 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by BokJock »

Newsome wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:57 am The HBO movie "Gotti" is brilliant. It's also available to watch on Youtube.

There's an ex=mafia boss on Youtube who does a lot of interviews and he said it was the most realistic portrayal of the mafia (American at least).
Michael Franzese
User avatar
Newsome
Posts: 3345
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Newsome »

BokJock wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:52 am
Newsome wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:57 am The HBO movie "Gotti" is brilliant. It's also available to watch on Youtube.

There's an ex=mafia boss on Youtube who does a lot of interviews and he said it was the most realistic portrayal of the mafia (American at least).
Michael Franzese
Yes, that's the one.
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12040
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by danny_fitz »

lemonhead wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:23 am
Puma wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:18 pm Goodfellas for me, with Casino quite close...

And then I thought of "Analize this". Far from a serious attempt to portray the mob, but it makes a very good use of the comedic potential of all the Maffia cliches
What's gets me about Casino is just how much of it really happened. Almost word for word.
I went to the crime museum when I was in Vegas and they obviously take a look at the mafia links to the town from the 50s through to the 80s. It's pretty nasty what the likes of Bugsy Siegel, Frank "Lefty" Rosenthal and Anthony Spilotro got up to behind the scenes. Grimly fascinating too. They also had a replica head and torso of Joe Pesci that was used in the cornfield scene from casino.
New Guy 2
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:01 pm

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by New Guy 2 »

UncleFB wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:54 am
New Guy 2 wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:56 pm But which is best, Godfather 1 or 2?

I reckon 1.
1 is the best, Goodfellas 2nd, 2 is 3rd.
I think I'd agree with that.
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 10399
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Frodder »

I voted Goodfellas
I voted Goodfellas
tubbyj
Posts: 1123
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by tubbyj »

Not technically about the mafia but definitely in a similar vein City of God.

Image

So good it doesn't matter it isn't in English and you have to read subtitles. One of my Top 10 movies of all time while the Godfather is not.
Last edited by tubbyj on Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 36533
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Duff Paddy »

Newsome wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:55 am
BokJock wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:52 am
Newsome wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:57 am The HBO movie "Gotti" is brilliant. It's also available to watch on Youtube.

There's an ex=mafia boss on Youtube who does a lot of interviews and he said it was the most realistic portrayal of the mafia (American at least).
Michael Franzese
Yes, that's the one.
I sat through the John Travolta Gotti movie - one of the worst films ever made
bimboman
Posts: 66406
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by bimboman »

Frodder wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:00 am I voted Goodfellas
I voted Goodfellas


Alright Nicky.
User avatar
Poshprop
Posts: 998
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 1:31 pm
Location: In the Diff

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Poshprop »

Does A History of Violence count as a Mafia movie?

I know I should love the Godfather films but I just dont. From the list its Eastern Promises for me and if you are having Russina Mafia can I have John Wick?
User avatar
BlackMac
Posts: 6896
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle of the Lothians

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by BlackMac »

Who the fudge actually voted for the Irishman, and since when has Gommorah been a movie.
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 32863
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by EverReady »

BlackMac wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:52 am Who the fudge actually voted for the Irishman, and since when has Gommorah been a movie.
It was an Italian movie about 10 years ago. It's brilliant and shows the Mafia for what it is in Italy. Sordid, local and not a bit sexy. The anti Scorcese. The Irishman is shite and all the excuses made for the shit CGI faces can't change it. I tried to watch it a second time and if anything it was worse. I think they made De Niros fake head too big to fit his old man body.
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12040
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by danny_fitz »

Frodder wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:00 am I voted Goodfellas
I voted Goodfellas
"There was Jimmy and Tommy and me. And there was Anthony Stabile, Angelo Sepe, Fat Andy, Frankie the Wop, Freddy No Nose, Pete the Killer, Nicky Blanda, Mikey Franzese, and Fodder Two Times, who got that nickname because he said everything twice. Like, "I voted Goodfellas, voted Goodfellas"
User avatar
danny_fitz
Posts: 12040
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Mostly London........Mostly

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by danny_fitz »

EverReady wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:01 am
BlackMac wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:52 am Who the fudge actually voted for the Irishman, and since when has Gommorah been a movie.
It was an Italian movie about 10 years ago. It's brilliant and shows the Mafia for what it is in Italy. Sordid, local and not a bit sexy. The anti Scorcese. The Irishman is shite and all the excuses made for the shit CGI faces can't change it. I tried to watch it a second time and if anything it was worse. I think they made De Niros fake head too big to fit his old man body.
Watching a CGI De Niro kick the fella on the side walk was cringeworthy.
User avatar
Slim 293
Posts: 5688
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Straya plum

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Slim 293 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:24 am
Newsome wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:55 am
BokJock wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:52 am
Newsome wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:57 am The HBO movie "Gotti" is brilliant. It's also available to watch on Youtube.

There's an ex=mafia boss on Youtube who does a lot of interviews and he said it was the most realistic portrayal of the mafia (American at least).
Michael Franzese
Yes, that's the one.
I sat through the John Travolta Gotti movie - one of the worst films ever made

Nominated for 6 Golden Raspberries, including...

Worst Screen Combo - Kelly Preston and John Travolta :lol:
User avatar
EverReady
Posts: 32863
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by EverReady »

danny_fitz wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:16 am
EverReady wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:01 am
BlackMac wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:52 am Who the fudge actually voted for the Irishman, and since when has Gommorah been a movie.
It was an Italian movie about 10 years ago. It's brilliant and shows the Mafia for what it is in Italy. Sordid, local and not a bit sexy. The anti Scorcese. The Irishman is shite and all the excuses made for the shit CGI faces can't change it. I tried to watch it a second time and if anything it was worse. I think they made De Niros fake head too big to fit his old man body.
Watching a CGI De Niro kick the fella on the side walk was cringeworthy.
It was a stupid idea and had a sort of arrogance to it. Some of the truly great performances have been young actors playing younger versions of esteemed older ones. They could have actually got Brando to play the younger Vito considering his age at the time but what we would have lost
User avatar
Azlan Roar
Posts: 3123
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Adopted Lion - Jon Davies

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Azlan Roar »

Bugsy Malone
User avatar
BlackMac
Posts: 6896
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Middle of the Lothians

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by BlackMac »

EverReady wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:01 am
BlackMac wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:52 am Who the fudge actually voted for the Irishman, and since when has Gommorah been a movie.
It was an Italian movie about 10 years ago. It's brilliant and shows the Mafia for what it is in Italy. Sordid, local and not a bit sexy. The anti Scorcese. The Irishman is shite and all the excuses made for the shit CGI faces can't change it. I tried to watch it a second time and if anything it was worse. I think they made De Niros fake head too big to fit his old man body.

Really, didnt realise that. I've watched the series avidly and it is superb but never realised there was a movie.
bimboman
Posts: 66406
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by bimboman »

We’ve forgotten “State of grace” ..... which is a fantastic movie.
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 10399
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Frodder »

danny_fitz wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:15 am
Frodder wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:00 am I voted Goodfellas
I voted Goodfellas
"There was Jimmy and Tommy and me. And there was Anthony Stabile, Angelo Sepe, Fat Andy, Frankie the Wop, Freddy No Nose, Pete the Killer, Nicky Blanda, Mikey Franzese, and Fodder Two Times, who got that nickname because he said everything twice. Like, "I voted Goodfellas, voted Goodfellas"
:smug: :thumbup: :lol:
User avatar
Luciano
Posts: 539
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Luciano »

koroke hangareka wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:56 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:20 am I don't agree with the celebration of crime, in any form. Do these stories really need to be told?
It's far from the best movie here but Godfather III finally makes clear the full scope of the awful abortion Michael Corleone has made of his family and his life. There's a lot more to the Godfather movies than a celebration of crime.
A similar point can be made about The Irishman. But it is a crappy movie. Just stick to the Godfather Part III :)

The Untouchables is worth a mention too, even though the list is primarily focusing in stories told from the mafia point of view.

PS: Maybe the series merit a separate thread, choosing a second to The Sopranos!
bimboman
Posts: 66406
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by bimboman »

Luciano wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:15 pm
koroke hangareka wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:56 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:20 am I don't agree with the celebration of crime, in any form. Do these stories really need to be told?
It's far from the best movie here but Godfather III finally makes clear the full scope of the awful abortion Michael Corleone has made of his family and his life. There's a lot more to the Godfather movies than a celebration of crime.
A similar point can be made about The Irishman. But it is a crappy movie. Just stick to the Godfather Part III :)

The Untouchables is worth a mention too, even though the list is primarily focusing in stories told from the mafia point of view.

PS: Maybe the series merit a separate thread, choosing a second to The Sopranos!

I’m re watching both Sopranos and Gomorrah at the moment they’re heads and shoulders on their own.
Morgan14
Posts: 1459
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Morgan14 »

Departed was so good for 98% of its running time, and then the ending goes and sucks sh*t, completely ruins the filum. On par with the ending for Game of Thrones.
User avatar
Flametop
Posts: 17403
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Flametop »

EverReady wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:39 pm The answer is Goodfellas
You’re a funny guy
User avatar
Short Man Syndrome
Posts: 6117
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Front and centre.

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Luciano wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:15 pm
PS: Maybe the series merit a separate thread, choosing a second to The Sopranos!
Pikey Bloynders has the makings of a varsity athlete.
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 10399
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Frodder »

Flametop wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:14 pm
EverReady wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:39 pm The answer is Goodfellas
You’re a funny guy
So I do things that amuse you? Like a clown?
User avatar
Floppykid
Posts: 30125
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: SOB>Todd

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Floppykid »

Goodfellas is better than the GodFather imo.
User avatar
Frodder
Posts: 10399
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:25 pm
Location: Leafy Cheshire (West)

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Frodder »

Floppykid wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:21 pm Goodfellas is better than the GodFather imo.
That's controversial but has substance
Jay Cee Gee
Posts: 18275
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Floppykid wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:21 pm Goodfellas is better than the GodFather imo.
But Dances With Wolves is better than Goodfellas.
User avatar
Hellraiser
Posts: 14775
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Hellraiser »

Puma wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:18 pm Goodfellas for me, with Casino quite close...

And then I thought of "Analize this". Far from a serious attempt to portray the mob, but it makes a very good use of the comedic potential of all the Maffia cliches
Is that the porn parody version?
User avatar
Hellraiser
Posts: 14775
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Sarnath in the land of Mnar

Re: Second best Mafia movie?

Post by Hellraiser »

Newsome wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:57 am The HBO movie "Gotti" is brilliant. It's also available to watch on Youtube.

There's an ex=mafia boss on Youtube who does a lot of interviews and he said it was the most realistic portrayal of the mafia (American at least).
Michael Franzese
Post Reply