What are your nerd hobbies?

All things Rugby
Mog The Almighty

What are your nerd hobbies?

Post by Mog The Almighty »

I've got a f-cking stack of them. But I'll save the biggest one for last.

Firstly, I love mushrooms. I love going out in the forest and picking them, and recently I've started cultivating them at home. I'm looking forwards to a stack of King Oyster mushrooms over the winter.

Second, I started brewing Kombucha. I liked that a lot (and so does my girlfriend), so I splashed out and bought a bunch of stuff (wasn't even that expensive tbh) to start brewing mead too. (Mjöd in Swedish, it's a bit of a thing here because the Vikign used to make it).

Third, I love fly-fishing and I tie my own flies. I even wear nerdy magnifying goggles when I do it.

Now it gets really nerdy, I've always liked painting model soldiers - it's something I picked up from a friend when I was young, and I was really good at it and enjoyed it but never actually played any of the games (just seemed like too much effort).

But I took it to the next level last year. I mentioned it in another thread and was encouraged by a few other posters here, but a couple of guys and a couple of girls from the office last year talked me into joining their Dungeons & Dragons game, which I did, and I must admit, it was really good fun - although it got cut short before we could finish due to COVID. I think having girls in the group, and the fact that the youngest players are in their early thirties, made a big difference and made it better.

... edit: I'm also looking at buying an archery kit for myself for Christmas. :twisted:
backrow

Re: What are your nerd hobbies?

Post by backrow »

Probably for the best you don’t want kids
Mog The Almighty

backrow wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:42 pm Probably for the best you don’t want kids
:lol: I was anticipating that response. I'm not sure I don't want kids. Maybe one would be fun. Kind of like a pet dog that talks.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Making gin, also good as byproducts are used for hand-wash.

During the last lockdown I got into jigsaw puzzles :blush: very theraputic

Setting up boats.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

I collect fossils and maps.

I also (mostly unsuccessfully) try to restore old clocks.

Haven't had much time for any of these in recent years, though :(
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

ZappaMan wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:22 pm I collect fossils and maps.

I also (mostly unsuccessfully) try to restore old clocks.

Haven't had much time for any of these in recent years, though :(
I also collect maps :nod: We can trade pics and after that do something map related
Luciano

Post by Luciano »

Reading and posting from time to time in PR :D
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

Zappa my most recent purchase.
https://www.whytes.ie/art/1750-gilles-r ... &offset=19
I collect engravings as well. We can trade more pics and then discuss something engraving related
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

Hate the term “nerd” hobbies / nerd anything
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

EverReady wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:27 pm Zappa my most recent purchase.
I collect engravings as well. We can trade more pics and then discuss something engraving related
Nice, probably my favourite 18th century French cartographer :thumbup:

Edit to add - my most recent purchase was some dinosaur poo :smug:
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

ZappaMan wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:31 pm
EverReady wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:27 pm Zappa my most recent purchase.
Nice, probably my favourite 18th century French cartographer :thumbup:

Edit to add - my most recent purchase was some dinosaur poo :smug:
Lovely stuff. Fossils are great. I bought these as well and am pretty happy with them. Serious bargain town as you would pay multiples in the UK for them
https://www.whytes.ie/art/1592-contempo ... 5&offset=7
https://www.whytes.ie/art/16th-century- ... 5&offset=8
Mog The Almighty

Luciano wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:24 pm Reading and posting from time to time in PR :D
Yeah that's probably the biggest one actually. How could I forget? This place is a lubed-up madhouse of raving nerds.
towny

Post by towny »

I tried mushrooms a couple of times in Bali.

WOW! That is good stuff.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

I like pushing them around and stealing their dinner money but I don't consider it a hobby. Same way I don't consider playing darts to be a hobby.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Audiobooks, usually novels but sometimes non fiction. I feel like I've gone old school. Despite subscriptions to Netflix and Stan, I prefer audiobooks. I prefer forum message bored to zoom. Also, chattting via typing instead of Whatsapp, messenger.

Not a hobby but I'm slowly rediscovered my faith recently, last 12 months. Internet prayer group.

Cooking, brought on by lockdown.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

I still occasionally build radio-controlled cars. Almost never actually drive them, but I do like taking them apart to upgrade some esoteric part.

I'm in a flat at the moment so I haven't any space to spray-paint the shell, but I've built this bad boy during lockdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6mRfZxaGD4

(not my video or my car btw. Oy my choice of music)
Mog The Almighty

inactionman wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:13 pm I still occasionally build radio-controlled cars. Almost never actually drive them, but I do like taking them apart to upgrade some esoteric part.

I'm in a flat at the moment so I haven't any space to spray-paint the shell, but I've built this bad boy during lockdown:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6mRfZxaGD4

(not my video or my car btw. Oy my choice of music)
That looks pretty cool. My brother's nerd hobbies are nitros-powered remote control cars and guns. He has a lot of both of them, they're both very loud and dominate every family gathering that he attends (obv. in the countryside).

I like your style of remote control cars much better.
ElementFreak

Post by ElementFreak »

Video games and board games with some mates, that's as nerdy as I get.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

As a kid I used to take my old electronic based toys apart and make practical things out of the components. Not picked up any nerdy hobbies since those days. Should have gotten into robotics. Would have loved it.
Astronomy is a hobby i’d like to pick up.
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Town planning, America’s Cup racing and the occasional brain autopsy. Nothing really nerdy.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

I masturbate to nerdy girls in glasses pron.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

Sandstorm wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:53 pm Town planning, America’s Cup racing and the occasional brain autopsy. Nothing really nerdy.
:lol:
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Birding
Bird photography
Butterfly photography*
Collecting Strayan decimal coins (admittedly in a half-arsed way)
Reading upon on policy and regulatory developments in the Strayan electricity industry

*Recent, as in lockdown recent. Typically there's a lack of bird variety in my backyard, so I took to trying to identify butterflies in the yard and then to taking piccies of them.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:39 pm
a couple of guys and a couple of girls from the office last year talked me into joining their Dungeons & Dragons game, which I did, and I must admit, it was really good fun - although
We did that shit as teenagers. I can see why you feel the importance of your own free time is beyond starting a family, you're clearly regressing.
AnkleTap

Post by AnkleTap »

YOYO wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:39 pm Astronomy is a hobby i’d like to pick up.
Yes indeed! I want to build a campervan with a 24 inch dobsonian attachment. :lol:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I post on an online rugby forum.
Dark

Post by Dark »

I self taught myself how to read Egyptian hieroglyphic writing a long time ago.

Not sure if still up to scratch, with different eras, but found it interesting.

Yes I know. Sad
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

backrow wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:42 pm Probably for the best you don’t want kids
Lol. OP continues to re-enforce everything is all about him. When you love yourself so much there's scarcely room for anyone else. :lol:
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:31 am I post on an online rugby forum.
This, and gardening. I have a nice half barrel with oregano, thyme, mint, rosemary, chives, fennel, rocket, and radishes.
Dark

Post by Dark »

Muttonbirds wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:14 am
Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:31 am I post on an online rugby forum.
This, and gardening. I have a nice half barrel with oregano, thyme, mint, rosemary, chives, fennel, rocket, and radishes.
Collecting New World kiddie garden pottles doesn't count.

How many kids are crying because you stole their chive seeds?
Mog The Almighty

mr bungle wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:10 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:39 pm
a couple of guys and a couple of girls from the office last year talked me into joining their Dungeons & Dragons game, which I did, and I must admit, it was really good fun - although
We did that shit as teenagers. I can see why you feel the importance of your own free time is beyond starting a family, you're clearly regressing.
:lol:

That sort of stuff is actually quite common in Sweden. I played a few other board games and card games with colleagues after work too, it's not even really considered very nerdy, it's just somethng people do. I think it has something to do with the long dark winters where a sigificant portion of everyone's free time comes at a time when it's freezing and pitch black outside. There really isn't that much else you can do, especially since there's no real pub-culture here, and even if there were, you can't spend all your sprare time down the pub.
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

AnkleTap wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:34 am
Yes indeed! I want to build a campervan with a 24 inch dobsonian attachment. :lol:
Live in London so I just see an orange glow in the sky.

Loved astronomy as a kid and my wife bought me a 'travel scope' for Christmas that I take camping in dark sky territory.
AnkleTap

Post by AnkleTap »

Just outside London is Alice Holt Forrest, near Farnham and that is fairly dark. I used to live in a really dark place south of the equator and I owned a 6 inch reflector and now I want to recreate that experience. Now I live in the UK and I think a scope would have to be large and it has to be mobile. 30 grand might disappear just like that x(
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

ElementFreak wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:02 pm Video games and board games with some mates, that's as nerdy as I get.
That's about the same as me. Most of my other free time is spent playing golf or hiking. Maybe those are considered boring but wouldn't say nerdy.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

MungoMan wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 1:59 am Birding
Bird photography
Butterfly photography*
Collecting Strayan decimal coins (admittedly in a half-arsed way)
Reading upon on policy and regulatory developments in the Strayan electricity industry

*Recent, as in lockdown recent. Typically there's a lack of bird variety in my backyard, so I took to trying to identify butterflies in the yard and then to taking piccies of them.
I've been dabbling with photography for years - I had my own darkroom back in the day - and I'm getting quite into the bird photography.

The problem is that they're rapid buggers, and I've loads of photos of empty tree branches and thin air.

I've bought a new camera and lens but not getting much luck with tracking - not sure if the problem is in the camera or the user.
Last edited by inactionman on Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DragonKhan

Post by DragonKhan »

Massively into my Warhammer 40k books/lore and models
Have a huge lego castle collection
Love reading and writing fantasy stories
Board games are my jam
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

danny_fitz wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:50 am
AnkleTap wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:34 am
Live in London so I just see an orange glow in the sky.

Loved astronomy as a kid and my wife bought me a 'travel scope' for Christmas that I take camping in dark sky territory.
I’d love to build a campervan too. That would be just fantastic.
Mog The Almighty

DragonKhan wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:00 pm Massively into my Warhammer 40k books/lore and models
Can't get into them at all, or any Games Workshop stuff. Those new models are so huge they're like G.I.Joe toys and the proportions are all too cartoony. And they feel cheap and plasticy. I like the old-school lead models. :thumbup:

I don't know much about Warhammer, but I did browse through the rulebooks at thetrove-dot-is (there's a bookmark for you if you're into that stuff) recently just out of curiosity, and the lore and fluff was pretty cool. All that grim dark Theocratic future stuff. Is it supposed to be an evolved version of Christianity, thousands of years in the future or...?
DragonKhan

Post by DragonKhan »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:17 pm
DragonKhan wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:00 pm Massively into my Warhammer 40k books/lore and models
Can't get into them at all, or any Games Workshop stuff. Those new models are so huge they're like G.I.Joe toys and the proportions are all too cartoony. And they feel cheap and plasticy. I like the old-school lead models. :thumbup:

I don't know much about Warhammer, but I did browse through the rulebooks at thetrove-dot-is (there's a bookmark for you if you're into that stuff) recently just out of curiosity, and the lore and fluff was pretty cool. All that grim dark Theocratic future stuff. Is it supposed to be an evolved version of Christianity, thousands of years in the future or...?
It's satire space catholic fascism. I have never actually played the board top game, just collected the models and read the books. Which to some gatekeepers is heresy :lol:
Mog The Almighty

DragonKhan wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:32 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:17 pm

It's satire space catholic fascism. I have never actually played the board top game, just collected the models and read the books. Which to some gatekeepers is heresy :lol:
Yeah my brother gave the fantasy one a nudge a few years ago but I don't think he ever got really into it. It's such an obvious marketing/money-grab to me. "collect 500 plastic models that are worth 3c each but we sell for $20". F-ck off thankyou very much.

But yes, I do understand why you be into that 40K stuff, the theme is pretty cool. Do you also listen to black metal? lol.