What are your nerd hobbies?

All things Rugby
DragonKhan

Re: What are your nerd hobbies?

Post by DragonKhan »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:00 pm
DragonKhan wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:32 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:17 pm
DragonKhan wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:00 pm Massively into my Warhammer 40k books/lore and models
Can't get into them at all, or any Games Workshop stuff. Those new models are so huge they're like G.I.Joe toys and the proportions are all too cartoony. And they feel cheap and plasticy. I like the old-school lead models. :thumbup:

I don't know much about Warhammer, but I did browse through the rulebooks at thetrove-dot-is (there's a bookmark for you if you're into that stuff) recently just out of curiosity, and the lore and fluff was pretty cool. All that grim dark Theocratic future stuff. Is it supposed to be an evolved version of Christianity, thousands of years in the future or...?
It's satire space catholic fascism. I have never actually played the board top game, just collected the models and read the books. Which to some gatekeepers is heresy :lol:
Yeah my brother gave the fantasy one a nudge a few years ago but I don't think he ever got really into it. It's such an obvious marketing/money-grab to me. "collect 500 plastic models that are worth 3c each but we sell for $20". F-ck off thankyou very much.

But yes, I do understand why you be into that 40K stuff, the theme is pretty cool. Do you also listen to black metal? lol.
I listen to a lot of heavy metal, not quite black metal ha
Phredd

Post by Phredd »

Helping a friend build an exact 4mm scale model of the local station as it was in the 1920s. He's been working on it for years, most of which was research, so he knew which types of rolling stock to build (everything is scratch built as there are no ready-to-run models available).

Always thought it was "nerdy", but the work involved, and research into the railway and the local history is fascinating.

As a result have learnt, not only about the Metropolitan/Great Central railways, but have learn't about all sorts of engineering techniques, and even about 3D printing.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Phredd wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:24 pm Helping a friend build an exact 4mm scale model of the local station as it was in the 1920s. He's been working on it for years, most of which was research, so he knew which types of rolling stock to build (everything is scratch built as there are no ready-to-run models available).

Always thought it was "nerdy", but the work involved, and research into the railway and the local history is fascinating.

As a result have learnt, not only about the Metropolitan/Great Central railways, but have learn't about all sorts of engineering techniques, and even about 3D printing.
I totally understand model railway nerds. F-cked if I know why but there's something that is appealing about it. I still can't figure out why, the ghost of the child that was in the shell of an old man.
Phredd

Post by Phredd »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:28 pm
Phredd wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:24 pm Helping a friend build an exact 4mm scale model of the local station as it was in the 1920s. He's been working on it for years, most of which was research, so he knew which types of rolling stock to build (everything is scratch built as there are no ready-to-run models available).

I totally understand model railway nerds. F-cked if I know why but there's something that is appealing about it. I still can't figure out why, the ghost of the child that was in the shell of an old man.
Yes, I always thought of it as "playing with toy trains", but this is a completely different thing. I have learned so much about so many different aspects, both practical and theoretical.

However having looked at the price of "toy trains" it definitely isn't a childrens hobby nowadays, with locomotives costing over £100 each!
Mog The Almighty

Phredd wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:48 pm

Yes, I always thought of it as "playing with toy trains", but this is a completely different thing. I have learned so much about so many different aspects, both practical and theoretical.

However having looked at the price of "toy trains" it definitely isn't a childrens hobby nowadays, with locomotives costing over £100 each!
I saw on some show that Rod Stewart went balls deep on it. He's got some kick ass setup in his basement or something.

There is some kind of innocent, benign pleasure in it that I totally get. It's a lovely hobby. But yeah, expensive. There's a shop in Sweden called, "the traffic shop" ... my visiting friends found it hilarious ... but the whole shop is just books on transport and model trains and planes and maps and all public transport related hobby shit, and it's a super expensive posh shop in the rich part of town.
New Guy 2

Post by New Guy 2 »

I've recently got into astronomy.

Had a good time going out in the back garden and learning all the different stars, constellation and planets. Ordered an 8 inch reflector telescope (3 f**king MONTHS AGO :x ) and it's due to arrive in the next week or so. :thumbup:
Mog The Almighty

New Guy 2 wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:28 pm I've recently got into astronomy.

Had a good time going out in the back garden and learning all the different stars, constellation and planets. Ordered an 8 inch reflector telescope (3 f**king MONTHS AGO :x ) and it's due to arrive in the next week or so. :thumbup:
Nice!
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

There are quite a few cruciverbalists here - pretty much nerd Nirvana.

I've recently started doing the Mephisto barred crossword in the Sunday Times - f**k me it's hard.

(One of the answers last Sunday was notonecta (a variety of swimming bug). It was very fairly clued though: Endless refusal to accept wonderful drink coming from a group of swimmers (9)).
Salient

Post by Salient »

Horror geek here :nod:

Have over 500 dvds and blu-rays, which is pretty light in the circles I travel in, but hey got to make room for my Whovian collection :thumbup:

Also spend inordinate amount of time learning new coding techniques and web design :thumbup:
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 3:53 pm

I saw on some show that Rod Stewart went balls deep on it. He's got some kick ass setup in his basement or something.

There is some kind of innocent, benign pleasure in it that I totally get. It's a lovely hobby. But yeah, expensive. There's a shop in Sweden called, "the traffic shop" ... my visiting friends found it hilarious ... but the whole shop is just books on transport and model trains and planes and maps and all public transport related hobby shit, and it's a super expensive posh shop in the rich part of town.
My mother in law's neighbour recently passed away and his widow has been displaying his model train set to enthusiasts & kids before packing it all up to sell. It takes up an entire basement level of their house and another room. I recall my mother in law saying one engine he bought cost $12K - the full set would have cost well over a million NZ.
Mog The Almighty

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:12 pm

My mother in law's neighbour recently passed away and his widow has been displaying his model train set to enthusiasts & kids before packing it all up to sell. It takes up an entire basement level of their house and another room. I recall my mother in law saying one engine he bought cost $12K - the full set would have cost well over a million NZ.
Jaysus. I wonder if there's any reason its so expensive or just because "they will pay"?
New Guy 2

Post by New Guy 2 »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:35 pm

Jaysus. I wonder if there's any reason its so expensive or just because "they will pay"?
Probably a handmade, hand painted, limited edition type thing I imagine.

I can actually see the appeal of having a massive, model city with trains running all over the place. Would draw the line at spending that much on a single train though. It's worth more than my car.
johnstrac

Post by johnstrac »

Re started playing Middle Earth Play by Mail again after a gap of a lot of years.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:35 pm

Fark knows. I do know that one engine was significantly more expensive than his others, so perhaps it was a rarity/collector's item.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

johnstrac wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:57 pm Re started playing Middle Earth Play by Mail again after a gap of a lot of years.
Interesting. I used to play MERP
badmannotinjapan

Post by badmannotinjapan »

I build shit. Then fix my fudge ups.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Anyone LARP?

Ever since 'Role Models' I've been tempted to give it a go, just fudge up nerds with a sword.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

No LARP but did VIking Reenactment once - bonkers.

I'd love to try the Polish, full-Harness version where they really go at it. :shock:

I of course, do several anachronistic Martial arts with weapons. Nerdish I suppose
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Luciano wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:24 pm Reading and posting from time to time in PR :D
Yep, that's up there and dirt cheap.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

I wonder how much it's worth now.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:23 am No LARP but did VIking Reenactment once - bonkers.

I'd love to try the Polish, full-Harness version where they really go at it. :shock:

I of course, do several anachronistic Martial arts with weapons. Nerdish I suppose
If the Emberverse ever happens, you'll probably end up the Warlord of Woolloomooloo.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

That is a great series 😁
Sandstorm

Post by Sandstorm »

Zakar wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:31 am I post on an online rugby forum.
Just one? You’re a jock.
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

Zakar wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:18 am Anyone LARP?

Ever since 'Role Models' I've been tempted to give it a go, just fudge up nerds with a sword.
Tee hee, great film

Midfieldmaestro

Post by Midfieldmaestro »

nature conservation
Last edited by Midfieldmaestro on Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leinsterbloke

Post by Leinsterbloke »

Midfieldmaestro wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:26 am I kill people. I only do this on weekends though when I have time.
I joined as a Reserve as part of an anti-poaching unit. We look after the Rhinos in a game Reserve in sa. We are equipped with automatic weapons and night vision and did the neccessary training. Our firefights are mostly at night. It is short fierce and you have to hit "bullseye" if you know what I mean or else your'e a 'gonner'. In the mornings the field ambulance come to pick up the bodies. These Chinese funded gangs we fight are well funded equipped with automatic rifles gps helicopter assistance and chainsaws to cut the dead Rhino's horns
:lol:

:uhoh: