Dreaded Quota Law cost Puma girls. Needed 1 white player, stripped of all their points

All things Rugby
ZuluBoy

Dreaded Quota Law cost Puma girls. Needed 1 white player, stripped of all their points

Post by ZuluBoy »

After the Sunbirds, the Steval Pumas Netball team won their semi-final 43- 42 after an hours game
they were stripped of all their points by govt of not getting their quota% right.

The Sunbirds had only 1 white player and 6 black players on the track and the government quota law stipulates it must be a 2/5 ratio. So they were short of one white player. They lost all 43 their points! and the game were awarded to the Kingdom Queens 0 - 42 !
Sunbirds forfeit match vs. Kingdom Queens not complying with TNL tournament regulations. The Kingdom Queens go through to the 2020 TNL Division 2 Final. According to Tournament Rules 3.6 & 3.7 the Sunbirds did not play with the correct demographic representation.

https://twitter.com/Netball_SA/status/1 ... op-baan%2F
C69

Re: Dreaded Quota Law cost Puma girls. Needed 1 white player, stripped of all their points

Post by C69 »

:thumbdown:
Openside

Re: Dreaded Quota Law cost Puma girls. Needed 1 white player, stripped of all their points

Post by Openside »

ZuluBoy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:57 pm After the Sunbirds, the Steval Pumas Netball team won their semi-final 43- 42 after an hours game
they were stripped of all their points by govt of not getting their quota% right.

The Sunbirds had only 1 white player and 6 black players on the track and the government quota law stipulates it must be a 2/5 ratio. So they were short of one white player. They lost all 43 their points! and the game were awarded to the Kingdom Queens 0 - 42 !
Sunbirds forfeit match vs. Kingdom Queens not complying with TNL tournament regulations. The Kingdom Queens go through to the 2020 TNL Division 2 Final. According to Tournament Rules 3.6 & 3.7 the Sunbirds did not play with the correct demographic representation.

The law of unintended consequences. :lol:
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Surely they were aware of the tournament rules?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Openside wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:59 pm
ZuluBoy wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:57 pm After the Sunbirds, the Steval Pumas Netball team won their semi-final 43- 42 after an hours game

I was thinking the same. Shows how stupid quotas and race targets are.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

message #2527204 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:48 pm Surely they were aware of the tournament rules?
I assumed they looked at the intent, to raise the number of black players and figured having more is nothing to worry about.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

You got that wrong. When they made the rules they framed it so that blacks and whites would have minimum representation. How is that unintended consequences ?
Last edited by Anonymous 1 on Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Is this from The Onion?
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:08 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:48 pm Surely they were aware of the tournament rules?
I assumed they looked at the intent, to raise the number of black players and figured having more is nothing to worry about.
The rules said it must be a 2/5 ratio. Seems pretty clear.
Salient

Post by Salient »

They missed a trick, one of the black players should have said she identified as white :nod:
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

How are mixed race people classified?

I can't believe that is even a sentence I am seriously typing.
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

Mixed race people are classified as black.
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

Pumas Sunbirds coach said her full attention was on the game. One can understand as it was 43-42.
At that moment she didn't count colour.
The team manager usually does this but was rushed to hospital
She did give them the info but they were stripped of their points and the 43-42 were changed to 0-42.
Her players had to take leave to compete as they were not pro like the other teams.
They would have reached the SA pro league netball final if they were not stripped of their points
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Jerome Manning wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:33 am How are mixed race people classified?

Broad classification - white and black, black meaning generic black, which is sub-divided into African (i.e. Xhosa, Zulu, etc.), Indian, and Coloured South African citizens

3.15 of the Strategic Transformation Development Plan
https://www.sareferees.com/uploads/file ... inked).pdf

There tend to be sub-targets for African Black participation.

Unfortunately SA is still very much a race focused country, in some ways even more than during the latter years of Apartheid
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Jensrsa wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:20 am
Jerome Manning wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:33 am How are mixed race people classified?

Broad classification - white and black, black meaning generic black, which is sub-divided into African (i.e. Xhosa, Zulu, etc.), Indian, and Coloured South African citizens

Unfortunately SA is still very much a race focused country, in some ways even more than during the latter years of Apartheid
Jesus Christ, that is some mental gymnastics. You are a sad sad plum

Try this on for size you idiot

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricameral_Parliament
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

eldanielfire wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:08 pm
They framed it so there would be minimum representation of whites or blacks.
Midfieldmaestro

Post by Midfieldmaestro »

Big Nipper wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:56 am

Jensrsa could be called anything but an idiot. He has a valid point and refer to the practical of everyday living in sa with racial discriminatory laws. e.g. you go and apply for a medical doctors acceptance at university for your child and the race WHITE or BLACK X at the bottom of the form excludes your child from following her dream and has nothing to do with academic marks.
Your wiki link states at point in time but doesn't say there was a parallel process going on at point in time whereby the electorate voted in two successive referendums at the point in time your article refer to for the inclusion of blacks and the overwhelming yes vote was for non-discrimination and democracy.
So things progressed got better but nowadays its reversed discrimination in every facet of life and its against whites,coloureds,indians and blacks that are not part of the Ruling pParty and thus political connected.
The upkeep of racial lines with racial set laws. b e e e (black empowerment law) whereby every company must have majority black% to do business. a a (affirmative action whereby only blacks but nowadays blacks connected to the Ruling Elite are allowed jobs) etc.
Calling Jensrsa an idiot is out of convenience so that
you won't be questioned
Last edited by Midfieldmaestro on Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Midfieldmaestro wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:11 am

Jensrsa could be called anything but an idiot. He has a valid point and refer to the practical of everyday living in sa with racial discriminatory laws. e.g. you go and apply for a medical doctors acceptance at university for your child and the race WHITE or BLACK X at the bottom of the form excludes your child from following her dream and has nothing to do with academic marks.
Your wiki link states at point in time but doesn't say there was a parallel process going on at point in time whereby the electorate voted in two successive referendums at the point in time yourcarticle refer to for the inclusion of blacks and the overwhelming yes vote was for non-discrimination and democracy.
So things progressed got better but nowadays its reversed discrimination in every facet of life and its against whites,coloureds,indians and blacks that are not part of the ruliimg party and thus political connected.
The upkeep of racial lines with racial set laws. b e e e (black empowerment law) whereby every company must have majority black% to do business. a a (affirmative action whereby only blacks but nowadays blacks connected to the Ruling Party are allowed jobs) etc.
Calling Jensrsa an idiot is out of convenience so that
you won't be questioned
So you are saying it is reverse apartheid?
Midfieldmaestro

Post by Midfieldmaestro »

NO that is not what I am saying
Apartheit was immorally wrong I condemn it
I am saying Jensrsa is right in that sa is still along racial lines 26 years into a democracy
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Midfieldmaestro wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:11 am

Jensrsa could be called anything but an idiot.
Since the guy insisted I am an immigrant to the UK even though I was born here and that I shouldn't be able to "tell the indigenous" population what to do I just call Jens a cunt
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:31 am
Since the guy insisted I am an immigrant to the UK even though I was born here and that I shouldn't be able to "tell the indigenous" population what to do I just call Jens a cunt
Did I do that? Can't remember. Please provide a link so that I can look at the context :)
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

These dogmatic quota rules in sa discriminates against talented sportspeople and diminishes the accomplishments of sportsmen and women who worked extremely hard to get there
It has an impact on the livelihood of people as this win who'd have earned the Sunbirds so much extra money that could have bennefitted their families in difficult economic circumstances
Luciano

Post by Luciano »

I am no expert in SA law or in SA's societal issues, but this application of the law could be unreasonable in other jurisdictions. It would seem that the rationale of the law is to protect the group that is in disadvantage, right? In this case, the group would be the black girls, and they do not seem to be damaged by the omission of the white player.

Anyway, any quota based on race is plainly bad policy. They could be understood right after apartheid finished, but now SA should be able to move on. Quotas don't solve the issue, they just move the goalposts and create new problems. Just like in this case :? .
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

Yes Luciano the law is for.or the disadvantaged. SA use a mix of Roman and common law. I agree that 26 years into a democracy why is it necessarry to have racial laws in sport of all places.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

SA Rugby has reportedly warned certain rugby unions for fielding teams that are ‘too white’ in the Super Rugby Unlocked and U21 Championship tournaments.

According to Sunday newspaper Rapport, SA Rugby president Mark Alexander wrote a letter to the unions wherein he warned them about their transformation records.

‘The success of the World Cup is not a get out of jail free card for those who oppose transformation,’ Alexander wrote. ‘It is the opposite – proof that there is no excuse for underperformance.

‘These are unprecedented times, but that does not mean that our transformation goals can be “restricted”.’

Alexander wrote that during a meeting with South Africa’s Minister of Sports, Nathi Mthethwa, he could not explain why all seven coaches of the teams taking part in Super Rugby Unlocked were white.

‘Some of you will probably be summoned to explain your lack of transformation to the minister,’ Alexander added in the letter.

According to Rapport, Alexander wrote the letter after the Pumas only fielded two black players in their starting lineup during their match against the Stormers in Nelspruit last Friday.

SA Rugby reportedly spoke to the Pumas this week about their transformation plans.

The governing body has also spoken to the Free State and Blue Bulls about the composition of their teams during the recently completed U21 Championship.

The Free State’s team was 74% white, while the Blue Bulls was 70% on average during the competition. By comparison, the Lions fielded a team that was on average 40% white, Western Province 61% and the Sharks 63%
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/sa-rugby-w ... formation/
Interesting that the Lions made the U21 finals with a team that's 60% black. Oh, and had a black head coach, Mzwakhe Nkosi
Openside

Post by Openside »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:43 pm

You got that wrong. When they made the rules they framed it so that blacks and whites would have minimum representation. How is that unintended consequences ?
:lol: :lol: :lol: Okay
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Openside wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:16 pm

Make the rule so there will be a minimum of two black players on the team or so there will be a minimum of two black or white players on each team.

Take the second option and Oz thinks it's unintended consequences when a team with one white player gets kicked out

😂😂😂
Openside

Post by Openside »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:26 pm

Make the rule so there will be a minimum of two black players on the team or so there will be a minimum of two black or white players on each team.

Take the second option and Oz thinks it's unintended consequences when a team with one white player gets kicked out

😂😂😂
Yes you are right Anon quotas were brought in to ensure white participation in SA sports teams :roll:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Openside wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:29 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:26 pm

😂😂😂
Yes you are right Anon quotas were brought in to ensure white participation in SA sports teams :roll:
That quota rule specifically ensures a minimum of two white players in the team. The team getting kicked out for not complying is obviously an intended consequence. Your argument is pathetic.