That time your team won their third Rugby World Cup

All things Rugby
Clogs

That time your team won their third Rugby World Cup

Post by Clogs »

How did it make you feel. As happy as the first or second time?
ZuluBoy

Re: That time your team won their third Rugby World Cup

Post by ZuluBoy »

Today is exactly a year since the Springboks won the WC.
Obviously all three times you'll be elated as a supporter.
Here comes '95 and it is your first shot at it, mr. Mandela rock up in his nr6 jersey and the two nr6's lifted the WWE. It was special!
second time in Paris Jake White it was very good
Rassie hide some tricks in his bag so nothing was expected. Amazing for me like the first
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Don't know Great Britain won their 3rd Rugby world cup before I was born so I had no feelings, especially as I take little interest in League.
Salient

Post by Salient »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:42 pm Don't know Great Britain won their 3rd Rugby world cup before I was born so I had no feelings, especially as I take little interest in League.
Are you on drugs, or re-inventing history?
Midfieldmaestro

Post by Midfieldmaestro »

'95 was at home which lead to great atmosphere
but then again after the second and third they brought the cup home and the same great atmosphere.
Last edited by Midfieldmaestro on Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Salient

Post by Salient »

Midfieldmaestro wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:43 pm '95 was at home which lead to great atmosphere
but then again after the second and third they brought the cup home and the same great atmosphere returned.
Makes one very proud but also one felt sad for the players irrespective colour that couldn't compete in the years before as we know Springboks rugby best ever backline of 86-87 would have been competitive in al least one of the two we missed out on.
Oh dear, every one of them.
Midfieldmaestro

with international competition we would have been better as we ended up without
Last edited by Midfieldmaestro on Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Who would have thought a year ago that the South Africans would be too frit to even play another match?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Salient wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:41 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:42 pm Don't know Great Britain won their 3rd Rugby world cup before I was born so I had no feelings, especially as I take little interest in League.
Great Britain won the Rugby League World cup on their 3rd ocasion in 1972. The thread didn't specify which code. I made an obvious reference to League in my post, which you obviously didn't read properly. :nod:
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

It was awhile ago so little hard to remember - 5 times longer ago than for a Safa.
And it was great to win the 1st one, as it will always be the 1st, and great to win at the home of rugby at Twickenham, against an old foe, and it was awesome to win at home with a united country behind them.

Probably what made me most happy was to be a country that has been able to compete in every RWC...
Shrekles

Post by Shrekles »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:20 pm It was awhile ago so little hard to remember - 5 times longer ago than for a Safa.
And it was great to win the 1st one, as it will always be the 1st, and great to win at the home of rugby at Twickenham, against an old foe, and it was awesome to win at home with a united country behind them.

Probably what made me most happy was to be a country that has been able to compete in every RWC...
and never having lost a pool game...
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

for people in the uk that refer to the league. you are at the same disadvantage at the wc as we. If you played as B + I lions and not as the 4 home unions then you would have had a shot at it more often
97 you won the series here and 74 and we won the wc in 95 so you were unofficially winning it and before 74 the Springboks hadn't lost a series for 60 years so you were unofficially the world champs
Only one thing remain though and it is easy your coach said we underdone we lost Beast and our win was under a strict quota law so we are much weaker and we are underdone undercooked haven't played a test
the challenge is to beat us 2021 for your unofficial third time
Last edited by ZuluBoy on Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

South Africans can be quite gracious when they're losing, but boy do they ever start to hear the sound of drums when they manage a win.
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

koroke hangareka wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:55 am South Africans can be quite gracious when they're losing, but boy do they ever start to hear the sound of drums when they manage a win.
Are you hoisting the white flag now before the B + I Lions tour had started?
can't believe you refer to the wc because what else can one say on the question on the day of commemoration of one year since the 2019 wc win, other than it was a good feeling and with all the wins we will still be remembering
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

ZuluBoy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:05 am
koroke hangareka wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:55 am South Africans can be quite gracious when they're losing, but boy do they ever start to hear the sound of drums when they manage a win.
Are you hoisting the white flag now before the B + I Lions tour had started?
can't believe you refer to the wc because what else can one say on the question on the day of commemoration of one year since the 2019 wc win, other than it was a good feeling and with all the wins we will still be remembering
We're not in it.
handyman

Post by handyman »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:20 pm It was awhile ago so little hard to remember - 5 times longer ago than for a Safa.

So easily pleased.

I'm pleased that we have the best winning percentage in RWC's.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

handyman wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:51 am

So easily pleased.

NZ have won a larger % of their matches....
handyman

Post by handyman »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:53 am

So easily pleased.

We have more titles per RWC played.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

handyman wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:19 am

So easily pleased.

brat

Re: That time your team won their third Rugby World C

Post by brat »

Yep the saffas haven’t beaten Nz in a World Cup game this century- need other teams to take us out to win the thing
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

So easily pleased.

Yes, NZ have a better winning percentage. Interestingly, RWCs aside, NZ have a better winning percentage (72%) for tests played away than the Boks (69%) do playing at home. Boks away from home barely win half of their tests (56%). I’d ask why the Boks struggle when travelling, but they also struggle at home.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:52 am

So easily pleased.

As always it’s interesting to see which Safas take pride in not being invite to 87 or not qualifying for 91. Just because SA was deemed to be an inappropriate country to include in international sports it doesnot mean the RWC didn’t happen, nor that SA didn’t win it.

SA weren’t good enough to participate in 87 or 91 for all the right reasons. Whitewashing history (again) just doesn’t work.
Santa

Post by Santa »

So easily pleased.

So what your'e saying is apartheid was a worthwhile sacrifice to achieve that ratio. Now that is commitment.
handyman

Post by handyman »

Santa wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:24 pm

So easily pleased.

So what your'e saying is apartheid was a worthwhile sacrifice to achieve that ratio. Now that is commitment.
Really? Please quote me where I said that?

A real lack of understanding in this here fred, I put it down to still being buthurt about RWC 2019. Chin up lads, the next one is only 3 years away.
handyman

Post by handyman »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:46 am

So easily pleased.

As always it’s interesting to see which Safas take pride in not being invite to 87 or not qualifying for 91. Just because SA was deemed to be an inappropriate country to include in international sports it doesnot mean the RWC didn’t happen, nor that SA didn’t win it.

SA weren’t good enough to participate in 87 or 91 for all the right reasons. Whitewashing history (again) just doesn’t work.
I take pride in the fact that we won 3 RWC's from the 7 that we played. No more, no less.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

kiwigreg's poor wife must suffer a continuous patter about how kak South Africa and saffas are and how great New Zealand and kiwis are
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:46 am

So easily pleased.

Yeah, it isn't an argument that makes sense. If Cyprus make the next world cup than win it, does that mean they have the best winning record for world cups- 1/1? No, because they failed to qualify for all the others, so would really be 1/10.
Wilson's Toffee

Post by Wilson's Toffee »

Problem is - SA WAS invited. But, to avoid another 1981 scenario, they did not compete. To avoid hurting others' feelings.

If they did SA might have had five RWCs by now.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

That time?

When the referee cheated?

Their last ever such win?

Followed by thumping and humiliating exits?
Midfieldmaestro

shereblue wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:06 pm That time?

When the referee cheated?

Their last ever such win?

Followed by thumping and humiliating exits?
there would have been serious trouble if it didn't happen that way ... coming from a player that was there
11:50 into the video below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZGcJbodgQQ
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Third time was definitely the best of the three for me. The first one was great but it was such a long time ago, rugby was still amateur, no super rugby, far fewer tests played annually Northern Hemisphere tours were long affairs usually only involving two or three tests and lots of matches against club sides. And of course the Springboks weren't involved.

By 2011 the nail biting final against France was more of a relief than anything. Yes we'd finally won it again after all the heart ache of previous failures but the nature of the win, just barely scraping home, meant there was no great celebration for me.

In 2015 the final had it all. We built a commanding lead, then stuttered slightly as the Wallabies stormed back, then we consolidated our position and lead by 10 going into the final few minutes. It was still a tense affair but Beauden Barrett's runaway try was the icing on the cake at the end. :D

Being the first team to win two in a row and win three titles seemed to erase the 20 years of heart break and failure from 1991-2011. It also meant our failure in 2019 wasn't as tough to take.
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

20 years without a WC! I can't even imagine it. Depressive stuff
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Wilson's Toffee wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:53 pm Problem is - SA WAS invited. But, to avoid another 1981 scenario, they did not compete. To avoid hurting others' feelings.

"Might have' :lol:

Your country chose Apartheid over international sports. Own that decision and move on!
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:09 pm
Wilson's Toffee wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 12:53 pm Problem is - SA WAS invited. But, to avoid another 1981 scenario, they did not compete. To avoid hurting others' feelings.

"Might have' :lol:

Your country chose Apartheid over international sports. Own that decision and move on!
Apartheit is sometimes seen more in the eyes of the overseas media and people then what we see.
It caused racial divide. We have moved on. There were two Referendums called 80s whereby all white brown and Indian people overwhelmingly voted in favour to start a process to include black people in a democratic process
Last edited by ZuluBoy on Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Nowhere in that long rambling post did anything you say have a semblance of a point.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

It was amazing. For the first time, we actually managed to beat a team other than Japan (before they went all Tier 1 on the Boks and Ireland). Granted, it was against debutants Russia, and by a mere 7 points, but a victory is a victory.

Oh, sorry, I thought it was "That time your team won their third Rugby World Cup match"

When we get #4 I'll be happy to tell you all about it :thumbup:
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

:lol: :thumbup:
Salient

Post by Salient »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:37 pm
Salient wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:41 pm
Great Britain won the Rugby League World cup on their 3rd ocasion in 1972. The thread didn't specify which code. I made an obvious reference to League in my post, which you obviously didn't read properly. :nod:
Oh dear people clutching straws, sad really.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

Funny how New Zealand supporters ridicule any competition that they fail to win.
When they lose they find corruption in the match officials.
When they win they float and strut like peacock's.

In short they are the Donald Trump of the Rugby world