TRI NATIONS 2020: All Blacks v Pumas MATCH THREAD: Nov 14, 06:10 GMT

All things Rugby
mr bungle

Re: TRI NATIONS 2020: All Blacks v Pumas MATCH THREAD: Nov 14, 06:10 GMT

Post by mr bungle »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:25 pm Know there's not too many on here, but congrats Argies.
One of my Argie mates just responded to my congrats. He slept through his alarm but caught a replay. Hope he didn’t know the score prior to.
ZW03

Post by ZW03 »

Vamos pumas! Great result.

It's been nz ahead of a chasing pack the last 15 or so years. Looks like they've slipped back into it.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Hope the hangovers aren't too bad this morning Argies.

Congratulations again. I unfortunately missed all but the first 20 minutes due to poor planning when booking flights. But it sounds like it was a cracker of game.
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

Congrats Argentina, awesome display and result.

What was the story with the booing whilst the penalty kicks were being taken?
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Bogbunny wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:47 pm Congrats Argentina, awesome display and result.

Maybe a bit of payback for similar behaviour in Argentina. The Wobbs kicker had a laser beam directed at him a few years ago.
towny

Post by towny »

wamberal wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:50 pm
Bogbunny wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:47 pm Congrats Argentina, awesome display and result.

Maybe a bit of payback for similar behaviour in Argentina. The Wobbs kicker had a laser beam directed at him a few years ago.
I can’t imagine any Australians at the ground were cheering for NZ, let alone booing Argentinian kicks at goal. Lots of black shirts in the crowd that looked like belonged to forklift drivers, so.....
shanky

Post by shanky »

Like I said, I was at the game, so you could see things you don’t see on the TV

You have to look at it in context. This was their big game and they were fired up. They we cheering and singing constantly. Every time Dane Coles face appeared on the big screen, they booed him as well.

On the other hand, during the haka and welcome to country, there was complete silence. When the ABs scored, everyone clapped.

I thought it was all good natured to be honest, even though I don’t agree with booing the kicker as a rule.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

towny wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:11 pm

I can’t imagine any Australians at the ground were cheering for NZ, let alone booing Argentinian kicks at goal. Lots of black shirts in the crowd that looked like belonged to forklift drivers, so.....
I was inferring that perhaps similar behaviour had been inflicted on the ABs. On the balance of probabilities, I would assume it had.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

wamberal wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:10 am

I was inferring that perhaps similar behaviour had been inflicted on the ABs. On the balance of probabilities, I would assume it had.
Cruden got lasered at a test in Argentina, I recall.
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

wamberal wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 12:10 am

Na, Kiwi forklift drivers are plum.
caleb_ralph_fans

Post by caleb_ralph_fans »

Luciano wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:44 pm
Yes, I am always puzzled why they try to reinvent the wheel and try 2 skillful but not menacing centers. Remember that year when NZ lost 3 to SA? That was the year Nonu got injured, and NZ tried weird stuff (e.g. Donald plus Carter).

Laumape seems a better option, paired with a Conrad-style center.
Congrats on the win.

Was clear NZ just out muscled in this one. A pure tough runner like Sotutu or Laumape can make a difference if there is quick, front foot ball which Argentina just did not allow.

It was one of those days where NZ just never really get into the game and as time goes on, you just wait for the tide to turn and for NZ to retain the ball and break down the other side but Argentina too good.

The passion of Argentina vs arrogance of guys like Coles was the obvious difference.
BBB

Post by BBB »

Trostan wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:49 pm Curiosity.
Any ABs on that team who were on the Chicago first defeat by Ireland in 2016?
Wrong type of firsts
Good question.

Just had a look and there’s quite a few.

Moody,Coles,Tuipulotu,Cane,Smith and Barrett started that test v Ireland and Savea was on the bench.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

Olo wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:14 pm Pablo Matera.......absolute legend and old school Argentinian hard man. A massive day for him and his team.

The ABs uncharacteristically inaccurate. Lots of errors, many caused by the pressure from Los Pumas.
Looking forward to next week.
The stats I saw had the ABs ahead in both possession and field position %. There were a couple of dropped final passes that cost them 10-14 points. I agree they were inaccurate. There was one handling error out wide where the linking player was already passing it to the unmarked guy outside to stroll over, and forgot to catch it first. That player probably makes that pass 999/1000. They were about 2 % off and it cost. Did the Pumas' in-your-face game plan rattle them? Yes, it looked like it, but its not the whole story. If black 2 hadn't gone the niggly face slap and had that penalty reversed - butterfly wings.

Their off day coincided with an excellent performance by the Pumas, particularly in the forwards set-piece & breakdown. The Pumas backs were excellent in defence, and employed a good kicking game. The Pumas flankers were joint motm for mine.

So overall, congrats to the Pumas on sticking to their guns and posting an excellent win. It is, however, a little too early to be writing off this NZ coaching group. If they win the next one 45-10, then this result will likely be remembered as one of those losses you have in transitional periods, that help sort the wheat from the chaff going forward.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ellafan wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:08 am
Olo wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:14 pm Pablo Matera.......absolute legend and old school Argentinian hard man. A massive day for him and his team.

The ABs uncharacteristically inaccurate. Lots of errors, many caused by the pressure from Los Pumas.
Looking forward to next week.
The stats I saw had the ABs ahead in both possession and field position %. There were a couple of dropped final passes that cost them 10-14 points. I agree they were inaccurate. There was one handling error out wide where the linking player was already passing it to the unmarked guy outside to stroll over, and forgot to catch it first. That player probably makes that pass 999/1000. They were about 2 % off and it cost. Did the Pumas' in-your-face game plan rattle them? Yes, it looked like it, but its not the whole story. If black 2 hadn't gone the niggly face slap and had that penalty reversed - butterfly wings.

Their off day coincided with an excellent performance by the Pumas, particularly in the forwards set-piece & breakdown. The Pumas backs were excellent in defence, and employed a good kicking game. The Pumas flankers were joint motm for mine.

So overall, congrats to the Pumas on sticking to their guns and posting an excellent win. It is, however, a little too early to be writing off this NZ coaching group. If they win the next one 45-10, then this result will likely be remembered as one of those losses you have in transitional periods, that help sort the wheat from the chaff going forward.
Foster has had five tests in charge of the All Blacks. Three of them have been "off games".

That is of huge concern.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

jdogscoop wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:10 am Foster has had five tests in charge of the All Blacks. Three of them have been "off games".

That is of huge concern.
Yep, against teams that were significantly weaker on paper. What happens when we come up against full strength England, France, Ireland and South African teams?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:39 am
jdogscoop wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:10 am Foster has had five tests in charge of the All Blacks. Three of them have been "off games".

That is of huge concern.
Yep, against teams that were significantly weaker on paper. What happens when we come up against full strength England, France, Ireland and South African teams?
Under Foster? We lose.

Easy opponent blueprint. Rush D, win the breakdown. NZ will have no plan B. Or under Foster, no plan A either.
Luciano

Post by Luciano »

Ellafan wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:08 am
Yep, there 2/3 very clear try situations that NZ uncharacteristically missed. There was a dropped ball with clear numbers outside (was Ioane?) and the pass that Sotutu send to the lineman. In both occasions I was almost having an arrhythmia!

AR did many things very well, but also we got the luck that we had never had before in some matches with NZ. Finally I can forget about that time (early 2000s) that Contempomi missed touch when we were leading with one minute to go, and NZ ended up scoring under the goalposts :blush:
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Just watched it again
NZ came very close twice to scoring near the end
Bad pass from the replacement number 8 after a good run off the base and that knock on by Ioane
It's amazing how good they are at getting into try scoring positions from nothing compared to other teams
Could have won but Argies exerted too much pressure and were too good on the day.
Don't think NZ have much to worry about
Don't see the point of JB on the wing though, and the midfield is just not making sense to me
Surely Laumape is a better option next to a smallish flyhalf
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Cartman wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:40 pm Just watched it again
Bad pass from the replacement number 8 after a good run off the base and that knock on by Ioane
It's amazing how good they are at getting into try scoring positions from nothing compared to other teams
Could have won but Argies exerted too much pressure and were too good on the day.
Don't see the point of JB on the wing though, and the midfield is just not making sense to me
Laumape is not actually big. He's short with a low center of gravity and very powerful. Hard to put down in soup rugby, but yet to actually bring that same impact to test level. He needs to be given a couple more goes yet to see if he can bring that punch, but just like Caleb basically did nothing on Saturday, I wouldn't expect him to do much more than just run into a blue and white hooped wall.
openclashXX

Post by openclashXX »

fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Every single one of the guys had washboard abs and some stylish tattoo, sitting next to his fricken supermodel-looking girlfriend
I tried to tell you...
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Cartman wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 6:40 pm Just watched it again
Yes we could have won it and in other games those passes would have stuck and the points would have been scored.....but they didn't, partly because of Argentinian pressure and never say die attitude but partly because mentally for the last few games they just haven't been switched on which is the big concern.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

Congratulations Argies.......better side on the park and deserved the win.....have enjoyed your visits to NZ since the days of Hugo Porta.
BBB

Post by BBB »

ElementFreak wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:25 am Has this been posted yet?
https://streamable.com/7gomaz
:lol:

Just shared that with the group I went to the game with.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

Brilliant!!
shanky

Post by shanky »

fonzeee wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:05 pm
Every single one of the guys had washboard abs and some stylish tattoo, sitting next to his fricken supermodel-looking girlfriend
I tried to tell you...
Akkerman

Post by Akkerman »

:lol: :lol:
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

What's the chances that Dave Ronnie taking the AB job if Foster goes.
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Saw on Twitter today Argentina has now beat NZ in rugby, Brazil in football and US in basketball
Only two other countries have done that
Can you name them?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Masterji wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:35 pm What's the chances that Dave Ronnie taking the AB job if Foster goes.
Absolute Zero.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Cartman wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:11 pm Saw on Twitter today Argentina has now beat NZ in rugby, Brazil in football and US in basketball
Can you name them?
Australia and... France?
Cartman

Post by Cartman »

mr bungle wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:14 pm
Cartman wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:11 pm Saw on Twitter today Argentina has now beat NZ in rugby, Brazil in football and US in basketball
Can you name them?
Australia and... France?
Yeah
If it's not bs i read
Olo

Post by Olo »

Masterji wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:35 pm What's the chances that Dave Ronnie taking the AB job if Foster goes.
How exactly will that happen? He is contracted to the Wallabies for 4 years.

They will not fire what’s his name just yet.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Cartman wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:16 pm
Can you name them?
Australia and... France?
Yeah
If it's not bs i read
It's not hard to decipher due to the lack of teams in WR, let alone the small number (but growing!) who have actually beaten NZ.

And England play Basketball as Great Britain, and I'm pretty sure they haven't ever beaten the US.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Can you name them?
Australia and... France?
That's actually some really cool trivia :thumbup:

I mean a soccer game is always a tossup to a certain extent, nature of the game, but beating the ABs and Team USA is not something that happens often, even among the sports' big dogs.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

jdogscoop wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:57 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:39 am

That is of huge concern.
Under Foster? We lose.

Easy opponent blueprint. Rush D, win the breakdown. NZ will have no plan B. Or under Foster, no plan A either.
It would be very embarrassing to lose to an Irish team featuring Jamaison Gibson-Parkes, Bundee Aki and James Lowe. But quite possible as Ireland looked a lot better than the All Blacks over the weekend. If we can lose guys like that and apparently keep the best players, you think we would do better. Wonder why...
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

openclashXX wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:43 pm this aged incredibly well
Kirwan was the only one who looked like a tit
Luciano

Post by Luciano »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 12:26 am
Can you name them?
Australia and... France?
That's actually some really cool trivia :thumbup:

I mean a soccer game is always a tossup to a certain extent, nature of the game, but beating the ABs and Team USA is not something that happens often, even among the sports' big dogs.
Argentina has punched above its weight in various team sports. I think it is because of the social culture of the nation. But it is hard to have many excellent teams at the same time, as we don't have so many people (47 million) and strong economy for such a big country. We have had amazing Hockey teams (field and rolling), and also good Volleyball too. :thumbup:

On the other hand, we suck at most individual sports. And I couldn't care less about them. The exceptions are boxing, tennis and sailing where we have had some great representatives. And some in car racing, but that is a whole different story.

PS: Polo is an expensive and dangerous hobby for rich people to show their pretty horses, I don't give a f*ck about it. x(
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:52 am
openclashXX wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:43 pm this aged incredibly well
Kirwan was the only one who looked like a tit

Wilson had to get a in a dig about South Africa v England making the last world cup final and defences being on top. I don't think he realises England scored more TRY's than NZ last year and NZ had the better defence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztgLuDwVwJY