What Scares the Boks...

All things Rugby
sorCrer

Re: What Scares the Boks...

Post by sorCrer »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:35 pm When the Boks come to Dublin , i normally expect Ireland to win.

When NZ come to Dublin , I hope for an Ireland win.

That's the difference . Nz have so many ways of winning. The Boks can only beat you if they run over you.

When the Irish come to South Africa, I expect....oh wait.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

brat wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:05 am
FairWeather_Aussie wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:32 pm This thread is great. Saffas masturbating each other over winning a World Cup, and Kiwis in complete denial of ludicrous claims.

It’s got highs, it’s got lows, laughing, crying, villains, and hero’s. This thread has everything.
I think we can safely say the 3 or 4 south African posters in question have massive comprehension problems along with a few other issues like lacking self awareness

How they can go from the vagaries of tournament rugby to the comp being rigged,blame and constantly mentioningTrump is beyond me.. must be a saffa thing
It is because you are selective with the truth. Keep on posting the same untruths and eventually someone will believe you.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

sorCrer wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:23 am
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:35 pm When the Boks come to Dublin , i normally expect Ireland to win.

That's the difference . Nz have so many ways of winning. The Boks can only beat you if they run over you.

We're crap away from home.

South Africa are pretty easy to play against though. Tackle low and win the kick chase game. That's we normally do
Vleis

Post by Vleis »

iarmhiman wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:52 pm

South Africa are pretty easy to play against though. Tackle low and win the kick chase game. That's we normally do
SA is not the best away from home either and they often do not take the end of year tours (AIs) very seriously. In the professional era, one can only judge a country's pedigree when the prize is mammoth and the playing fields are level for all teams - i.e. all players are released from their clubs/provinces; there is ample time to prepare properly; there is an acceptable amount of time to acclimatise to the venue; etc, etc. This is the RWC.

So, how have Ireland done in the RWC? Based on the expectations of Aus, SA, NZ or Arg, they've been absolutely abysmal. However, based on the much lower expectations of a 6N country their results have been:
1999 - atrocious
2003 - below par
2007 - abysmal
2011 - reasonable
2015 - disappointing
2019 - second-rate
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Vleis wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:18 pm So, how have Ireland done in the RWC? Based on the expectations of Aus, SA, NZ or Arg, they've been absolutely abysmal. However, based on the much lower expectations of a 6N country their results have been:
1999 - atrocious
2003 - below par
2007 - abysmal
2011 - reasonable
2015 - disappointing
2019 - second-rate
Been a few more RWC's than that.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Vleis wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:18 pm

SA is not the best away from home either and they often do not take the end of year tours (AIs) very seriously. In the professional era, one can only judge a country's pedigree when the prize is mammoth and the playing fields are level for all teams - i.e. all players are released from their clubs/provinces; there is ample time to prepare properly; there is an acceptable amount of time to acclimatise to the venue; etc, etc. This is the RWC.

So, how have Ireland done in the RWC? Based on the expectations of Aus, SA, NZ or Arg, they've been absolutely abysmal. However, based on the much lower expectations of a 6N country their results have been:
1999 - atrocious
2003 - below par
2007 - abysmal
2011 - reasonable
2015 - disappointing
2019 - second-rate
Probably because we have annual competitions that means something which means there is too much pressure not to experiment and due to that we can't time our run. We peaked in 2018 a year early.

There is no real history or tradition to the rugby championship, so much so that the Bledisloe is actually bigger than the entire tournament.

The RWC comes and goes, the 6 Nations has a an entire culture around it.
Vleis

Post by Vleis »

Magpie26 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:28 pm
Vleis wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:18 pm So, how have Ireland done in the RWC? Based on the expectations of Aus, SA, NZ or Arg, they've been absolutely abysmal. However, based on the much lower expectations of a 6N country their results have been:
1999 - atrocious
2003 - below par
2007 - abysmal
2011 - reasonable
2015 - disappointing
2019 - second-rate
You'll note that I mentioned the professional era....or did you really think that a Saffer would forget about the 1995 RWC? :roll: Do keep up sir! :lol:
Vleis

Post by Vleis »

iarmhiman wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:51 pm

1999 - atrocious
2003 - below par
2007 - abysmal
2011 - reasonable
2015 - disappointing
2019 - second-rate
Probably because we have annual competitions that means something which means there is too much pressure not to experiment and due to that we can't time our run. We peaked in 2018 a year early.

There is no real history or tradition to the rugby championship, so much so that the Bledisloe is actually bigger than the entire tournament.

The RWC comes and goes, the 6 Nations has a an entire culture around it.
As my parents are Irish and my son played rugby in Ireland, I've spent quite a lot of time with various rugby folk therein...and it's safe to say that the vast majority do not share your nonchalance re the RWC. Furthermore, it does not explain why Wales, plus England and France in particular, have a much better RWC record than Ireland. ;) :smug:
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Vleis wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:19 pm
1999 - atrocious
2003 - below par
2007 - abysmal
2011 - reasonable
2015 - disappointing
2019 - second-rate
You'll note that I mentioned the professional era....or did you really think that a Saffer would forget about the 1995 RWC? :roll: Do keep up sir! :lol:
Why do you see that it is only in the professional era that you can judge a country's pedigree by the RWC?
Puma

Post by Puma »

A thread born out of a NZ-Arg match, turned into a SA-Ireland shitfight...

Vleis

Post by Vleis »

Magpie26 wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:59 pm
1999 - atrocious
2003 - below par
2007 - abysmal
2011 - reasonable
2015 - disappointing
2019 - second-rate
Why do you see that it is only in the professional era that you can judge a country's pedigree by the RWC?
...because prior to the professional era, the results of bilateral test series were what counted most. Furthermore, it is commonly accepted that rugby officially turned profesional after the 1995 RWC.

Having said the above, I'm happy to extend my analysis of Ireland's RWC performances to the earlier events if that floats your boat:
1987 - mediocre
1991 - brave (lost to Scotland but gave the eventual winners a big fright in the QF)
1995 - substandard
Vleis

Post by Vleis »

Puma wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:03 pm A thread born out of a NZ-Arg match, turned into a SA-Ireland shitfight...

...just happy to put all the muppets in their places! 8) :thumbup:

...but all good things must come to an end, so I'll quietly back out of this thread now. It's been fun gents - peace out.

Good luck to the Pumas for the rest of the tournament - I hope that you win, but playing four weeks in a row means that the deck has been stacked against you! Also, good luck to the Maroons for the Origin decider on Wednesday.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

CrazyIslander wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:11 pm Image
:lol:
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Vleis wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:04 pm ...because prior to the professional era, the results of bilateral test series were what counted most. Furthermore, it is commonly accepted that rugby officially turned profesional after the 1995 RWC.

Having said the above, I'm happy to extend my analysis of Ireland's RWC performances to the earlier events if that floats your boat:
1987 - mediocre
1991 - brave (lost to Scotland but gave the eventual winners a big fright in the QF)
1995 - substandard
I would say at RWC 1995. I think Vernon Pugh announced it a few weeks prior to the tournament.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:24 pm
Vleis wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:04 pm ...because prior to the professional era, the results of bilateral test series were what counted most. Furthermore, it is commonly accepted that rugby officially turned profesional after the 1995 RWC.

1987 - mediocre
1995 - substandard
I would say at RWC 1995. I think Vernon Pugh announced it a few weeks prior to the tournament.
Just checked. You are correct.

Vernon Pugh announced in Paris on 26 August 1995 that union was turning pro.

RWC '95: May 25, 1995 – Jun 24, 1995
brat

Post by brat »

Chilli wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:19 pm
FairWeather_Aussie wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:32 pm This thread is great. Saffas masturbating each other over winning a World Cup, and Kiwis in complete denial of ludicrous claims.

It’s got highs, it’s got lows, laughing, crying, villains, and hero’s. This thread has everything.
I think we can safely say the 3 or 4 south African posters in question have massive comprehension problems along with a few other issues like lacking self awareness

How they can go from the vagaries of tournament rugby to the comp being rigged,blame and constantly mentioningTrump is beyond me.. must be a saffa thing
It is because you are selective with the truth. Keep on posting the same untruths and eventually someone will believe you.
I didn’t post half truths and wasn’t being selective - you just have comprehension issues along with some weird victim mentality
brat

Post by brat »

1999 - atrocious
2003 - below par
2007 - abysmal
2011 - reasonable
2015 - disappointing
2019 - second-rate
No, no the Rwc isn’t the only thing that counts towards ‘pedigree’ - that just suits your biased narrative because the boks overall record isn’t that good
The rwc is a tournament every 4 years and although teams would strive to peak at that time that doesn’t always happen
The real test of a team is consistency- especially away from home- and the boks record away isn’t great..that’s exactly why the boks don’t have the respect that the Abs have
Added to that there have been a few teams that have/had never beaten Nz or haven’t beaten Nz for a long time.. when the Argentinian’s beat Nz they were crying with emotion..the Irish were ecstatic.. when they play the boks it’s meh-just another win
handyman

Post by handyman »

Whenever I watch the 6 Nations, I always cheer for Ireland, mostly because I think their style of play and their attitudes are similar to South Africa.

Having said that, our recent record against them is very poor. 26 played, 18 wins for South Africa, 7 wins for Ireland with 1 draw, with Ireland aided by playing 61.5% of the games in Ireland. That gives South Africa a 69% record where it was 87.5% mid 2004. Let's hope Rassie and Nienaber can combine to get our winning % up again.
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

brat wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:33 am

I didn’t post half truths and wasn’t being selective - you just have comprehension issues along with some weird victim mentality
Yes you do. And yes you are.
You employ the Trump defense.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

1999 - atrocious
2003 - below par
2007 - abysmal
2011 - reasonable
2015 - disappointing
2019 - second-rate
You seem to forget about 87 and 91 a fair bit. Probably because your country was banned from participating due to being a racist shit hole.
boere wors

Post by boere wors »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:22 pm
CrazyIslander wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:11 pm Image
brat

Post by brat »

Chilli wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:48 pm

You are that thick that you don't understand basic concepts .. ironically it's you thats employing the trump defence / hysteria..but I don't expect you to understand it as you have zero self awareness
the curse

Post by the curse »

what our SA brothers fail to remember is that pre isolation, when they held the slender lead of 21-18,

Three tours in 1928, 1949 and 1960 to South Africa excluded Maori players although "honorary whites" were allowed to tour the republic in 1970.

and

an All Blacks 'second string' side travelled up to Southern Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) to face the Rhodesia representative side in two non-Test Internationals. The result of the first match saw Rhodesia run out winners, 10-8. Three days later, the second match resulted in a 3–3 draw. Two of the Rhodesian players were later capped for South Africa (being eligible due to Rhodesia's treatment as a province of South Africa, for rugby reasons) in the All Blacks second test of the tour. No International caps were awarded to either side for these two matches."

lots of whataboutery by SA posters on this thread..

eish!!
Chilli

Post by Chilli »

brat wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:52 am
Chilli wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:48 pm

You are that thick that you don't understand basic concepts .. ironically it's you thats employing the trump defence / hysteria..but I don't expect you to understand it as you have zero self awareness
And now the personal insults. Very Trump like.
OomStruisbaai

Post by OomStruisbaai »

Saffer vs Kiwi having a fight over Zuma, sorry Trump.

Stop it!!!