U.S. politics thread and Joe Biden-the Ronan O'Gara of U.S. Presidents

All things Rugby
TheFrog

Re: U.S. politics thread and Joe Biden-the Ronan O'Gara of U.S. Presidents

Post by TheFrog »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:48 pm
TheFrog wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:14 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:21 am Shitty jobs figures in Mr Bidens USA
The trend is positive after 2020... All depends how you look at numbers, Mick...
:lol:

Just pointing out your flawed logics and applying this selective analysis back in a manner that suits my views.

That being said, I can see that the economy is picking up in the US.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

TheFrog wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:30 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:21 am Shitty jobs figures in Mr Bidens USA
The trend is positive after 2020... All depends how you look at numbers, Mick...

Just pointing out your flawed logics and applying this selective analysis back in a manner that suits my views.

Not my analysis.

Do a search.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

No, Mick’s right: Biden has had 3 months to repair the damage done by the worst president in US history, it’s a disgrace that he hasn’t turned it around yet.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:19 pm
TheFrog wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 4:30 pm

Not my analysis.

Do a search.
You never have an opinion.
You never do anything.
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

Whoops again, Mick

The disappointing figures have been blamed on a labour shortage as businesses scramble to deal with renewed demand as lockdown measures are lifted.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Trostan wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:20 pm
Whoops again, Mick

The disappointing figures have been blamed on a labour shortage as businesses scramble to deal with renewed demand as lockdown measures are lifted.
On his watch, as will be the erosion of the $, and rising inflation.

Of course, none of this will be his responsibility either
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:27 pm
Whoops again, Mick

The most significant fall in dollar to euro value was the 6% fall between March and October 2020.
It has fluctuated around .82 to .84 since then.
Inflation will be a long term result of failing US competitiveness, not solely under Biden.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Trostan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 am
Whoops again, Mick

The most significant fall in dollar to euro value was the 6% fall between March and October 2020.
Inflation will be a long term result of failing US competitiveness, not solely under Biden.
Do you understand "will be?"
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

TheFrog wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:36 pm https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/0 ... ack-485984

Pretty nasty.
Mr Biden caught with his pants down.

He has had ages to sort out CISA.
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 10:02 am
Trostan wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 9:44 am
Whoops again, Mick

Do you understand "will be?"
Better than you understand is.
Present some evidence other than your misbegotten prejudices.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Mick, a bit of context if you are interested.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/0 ... ari-486295

We shouldn’t overreact to any one report — either the really good report that came out the month prior or last week’s report, as well
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Context!

You appear to think I wrote all these economic articles.

Tell the authors of those articles about context.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Mick Mannock wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 6:49 am Context!

No, I am aware that you have no opinion of your own and that you are not responsible for any link or message you posted.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

So the Republican, the new party of the people, are trying to stall Biden's equivalent to the Marshall Plan to kick start the US economy again.

Infrastructures, of course, is not a priority in this country. I mean... I live 10 miles from the White House in one of the most affluent part of the DMV and the mobile phone network doesn't reach my house...

Anyway, McConnell won't let Corporate Taxes pay for Biden's plan.

And then people with no opinion will question why employment is not improving under Biden.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/05/1 ... ing-487547
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

New York mayor election going on. The New York Times had some interviews with the large number of locally high-profile Democratic candidates. One of them is Shaun Donovan - a former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development - that thought the median price of a home was $100,000...in Brooklyn.

https://twitter.com/RRHElections/status ... 85316?s=20
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

TheFrog wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:53 am

No, I am aware that you have no opinion of your own and that you are not responsible for any link or message you posted.
Opinions...and then you post a Politico article, but that is fine because you choose to give your interpretation.

And no, why would I be responsible for any link I post?
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

TheFrog wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:57 amAnd then people with no opinion will question why employment is not improving under Biden.
Unemployment appears to be very localized. The official Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers I've seen is that flyover country is pretty much full employed, while the states New York and California have the highest unemployment rates in the country.

Pay attention to the bolded point below.
After a highly unusual several-month lag, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics has finally updated its state and local labor market statistics, so we will dedicate today’s Data section to these numbers.

The central message here is that US unemployment trends are very location-specific, something the national data obviously fails to capture. By looking at state- and city-level data we can more accurately assess both how far the domestic labor market has recovered and what factors will drive unemployment/labor force participation trends from here.

Two points on this topic:

#1: The current difference in unemployment rates across US states are very large (March 2021 data here).

12 states are already back to essentially full employment (2 – 4 percent unemployment): Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, New Hampshire, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Alabama, Montana, Wisconsin and Indiana.

19 states have unemployment between 4 – 6 percent (note: March national joblessness was 6.0 percent): Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, North Dakota, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, Maine, Kentucky, Tennessee, Michigan, South Carolina, Virginia, North Carolina, Wyoming, Washington, West Virginia and Oregon.

8 states have unemployment rates between 6.1 and 7.0 percent, or close to the national level: Maryland, Mississippi, Colorado, Delaware, Alaska, Arizona, Massachusetts and Texas.

That leaves 11 states with noticeably higher unemployment rates (over 7 percent), and several are in the most populous areas of the country:

California (12 pct of US population): 8.3 percent unemployment
New York (6 pct): 8.5 percent unemployment
Illinois (4 pct): 7.1 percent unemployment
Pennsylvania (4 pct): 7.3 percent unemployment
New Jersey (3 pct): 7.7 percent unemployment

Smaller states with +7 percent unemployment: Rhode Island, Louisiana, Nevada, Connecticut, New Mexico, and Hawaii.

Takeaway: US unemployment is clustered in a handful of states (CA, NY, IL, PA, and NJ), with much of the rest of the country already approaching, near, or at full employment.

#2: American big city joblessness is a large part of the country’s overall unemployment challenge, as these 2 points show:

First, consider February/March’s national unemployment rates as compared to America’s 10 largest cities in the same months:

March 2021 national unemployment: 6.0 percent
February 2021 national unemployment: 6.2 percent

Versus:

New York City unemployment Rate: 11.2 pct (March)
Los Angeles: 10.9 pct (March)
Chicago: 7.7 pct (March)
Houston: 8.4 pct (Feb data, latest available)
Phoenix: 6.7 pct (Feb data)
Philadelphia: 11.2 pct (Feb data)
San Antonio: 6.8 pct (Feb data)
San Diego: 6.9 pct (March)
Dallas: 6.9 pct (Feb data)
Austin: 5.6 pct (Feb data)

What this shows: average top-10 big American city unemployment (Feb/March 2021) is 8.2 percent, much higher than the national 6.0 – 6.2 percent rate.

Second, let’s zoom in on New York and Los Angeles and see how their unemployment situations both differ from and inform the US experience as a whole:

First, keep in mind that the US labor force (people employed or looking for work) shrank from February 2020 to March 2021 by 3.8 million people (down 2.3 percent). This highlights the problem of declining labor force participation that Fed Chair Powell regularly mentions.

NYC has not seen the same drop in workforce size. The labor force here has declined by only 9,186 people (-0.2 percent).

Los Angeles is much more in line with the national decline in labor force size, down 115,124 from February 2020 (-2.2 percent)

Add up unemployment in New York City (462,131) and Los Angeles (551,124) and you get 1,013,255 jobless workers, or providing 10 percent of US total. These 2 cities only make up 3.7 percent of the US population.
New York City joblessness is not a shock at all to me. Take out the Manhattan business sector and the rest of the city is pretty much geared toward service to those people, which is a pretty lucrative industry in normal times. If those people suddenly all start to work at home or leave the city as the city's apartment rental vacancy market has signaled for months, a lot of the city's service industry is going to suffer because they have less people to serve. Seriously, what can the Biden administration do to reverse that truth?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Mick Mannock wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:09 pm

Opinions...and then you post a Politico article, but that is fine because you choose to give your interpretation.

So, following your logic, you come up here and post a link to a pedo site and you are not responsible for it?

Of course you are responsible for everything you post. You are responsible for your acts man.

You can't act like a coward all the time.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 2:14 pm
TheFrog wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:57 amAnd then people with no opinion will question why employment is not improving under Biden.
Unemployment appears to be very localized. The official Bureau of Labor Statistics numbers I've seen is that flyover country is pretty much full employed, while the states New York and California have the highest unemployment rates in the country.

Pay attention to the bolded point below.
After a highly unusual several-month lag, the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics has finally updated its state and local labor market statistics, so we will dedicate today’s Data section to these numbers.

The central message here is that US unemployment trends are very location-specific, something the national data obviously fails to capture. By looking at state- and city-level data we can more accurately assess both how far the domestic labor market has recovered and what factors will drive unemployment/labor force participation trends from here.

Two points on this topic:

#1: The current difference in unemployment rates across US states are very large (March 2021 data here).

12 states are already back to essentially full employment (2 – 4 percent unemployment): Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, New Hampshire, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Alabama, Montana, Wisconsin and Indiana.

19 states have unemployment between 4 – 6 percent (note: March national joblessness was 6.0 percent): Minnesota, Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, North Dakota, Georgia, Florida, Ohio, Maine, Kentucky, Tennessee, Michigan, South Carolina, Virginia, North Carolina, Wyoming, Washington, West Virginia and Oregon.

8 states have unemployment rates between 6.1 and 7.0 percent, or close to the national level: Maryland, Mississippi, Colorado, Delaware, Alaska, Arizona, Massachusetts and Texas.

That leaves 11 states with noticeably higher unemployment rates (over 7 percent), and several are in the most populous areas of the country:

California (12 pct of US population): 8.3 percent unemployment
New York (6 pct): 8.5 percent unemployment
Illinois (4 pct): 7.1 percent unemployment
Pennsylvania (4 pct): 7.3 percent unemployment
New Jersey (3 pct): 7.7 percent unemployment

Smaller states with +7 percent unemployment: Rhode Island, Louisiana, Nevada, Connecticut, New Mexico, and Hawaii.

Takeaway: US unemployment is clustered in a handful of states (CA, NY, IL, PA, and NJ), with much of the rest of the country already approaching, near, or at full employment.

#2: American big city joblessness is a large part of the country’s overall unemployment challenge, as these 2 points show:

First, consider February/March’s national unemployment rates as compared to America’s 10 largest cities in the same months:

March 2021 national unemployment: 6.0 percent
February 2021 national unemployment: 6.2 percent

Versus:

New York City unemployment Rate: 11.2 pct (March)
Los Angeles: 10.9 pct (March)
Chicago: 7.7 pct (March)
Houston: 8.4 pct (Feb data, latest available)
Phoenix: 6.7 pct (Feb data)
Philadelphia: 11.2 pct (Feb data)
San Antonio: 6.8 pct (Feb data)
San Diego: 6.9 pct (March)
Dallas: 6.9 pct (Feb data)
Austin: 5.6 pct (Feb data)

What this shows: average top-10 big American city unemployment (Feb/March 2021) is 8.2 percent, much higher than the national 6.0 – 6.2 percent rate.

Second, let’s zoom in on New York and Los Angeles and see how their unemployment situations both differ from and inform the US experience as a whole:

First, keep in mind that the US labor force (people employed or looking for work) shrank from February 2020 to March 2021 by 3.8 million people (down 2.3 percent). This highlights the problem of declining labor force participation that Fed Chair Powell regularly mentions.

NYC has not seen the same drop in workforce size. The labor force here has declined by only 9,186 people (-0.2 percent).

Los Angeles is much more in line with the national decline in labor force size, down 115,124 from February 2020 (-2.2 percent)

Add up unemployment in New York City (462,131) and Los Angeles (551,124) and you get 1,013,255 jobless workers, or providing 10 percent of US total. These 2 cities only make up 3.7 percent of the US population.
New York City joblessness is not a shock at all to me. Take out the Manhattan business sector and the rest of the city is pretty much geared toward service to those people, which is a pretty lucrative industry in normal times. If those people suddenly all start to work at home or leave the city as the city's apartment rental vacancy market has signaled for months, a lot of the city's service industry is going to suffer because they have less people to serve. Seriously, what can the Biden administration do to reverse that truth?
The challenge will be to get these people to move elsewhere, where there could be jobs for them.

But yes, governments have limited impact on jobs. They can try to create an environment to favor jobs creation, but what people do with that environment is not under their control.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

TheFrog wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:30 pmThe challenge will be to get these people to move elsewhere, where there could be jobs for them.

But yes, governments have limited impact on jobs. They can try to create an environment to favor jobs creation, but what people do with that environment is not under their control.
Based on historical record, we tell those people "sucks for you, move somewhere better and get a job in a different field". It's how the country responded to the decline in manufacturing jobs in the upper Midwest. Michigan had a one-state recession going for quite awhile. But since Democrats dominate the cities and have control of both houses and the presidency, they're going to pass some package to help their voter base that's going to be a bunch of handouts to Democratic special interests while not really making stuff better.

A decline though of 3.8 million people in the workforce. Yeah, Baby Boomers are starting to retire, but that's a lot larger than retirees. Anecdotally, there are so many businesses I've seen that are hiring.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

TheFrog wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:28 pm

So, following your logic, you come up here and post a link to a pedo site and you are not responsible for it?

Of course you are responsible for everything you post. You are responsible for your acts man.

WTF?

You think I have posted links to a pedo site?

How does your mind work?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Mick Mannock wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:38 pm
TheFrog wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:28 pm

WTF?

You think I have posted links to a pedo site?

How does your mind work?
I didn't say that Mick.

You said "why would I be responsible for any link I post" and I gave you a striking example - to try to get your consciousness to light up - of why people are responsible for the links they post.

You can't go about and post any link, and wash your hands from this action because you are not the person who hosts the website to which you posted the link, or you are not the person who wrote the article or put up the page you posted a link to.

The minute you post a link, you are responsible for having posted that link. And you are responsible for the comments you add to that link or for your lack of comments.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

I am not responsible for the content of a link I post.

The author of the article/post whatever is.

Plenty of other people post links without you getting silly.

But as it provokes you into writing wordy words, I will continue to do so.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:19 pm
TheFrog wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:30 pmThe challenge will be to get these people to move elsewhere, where there could be jobs for them.

Based on historical record, we tell those people "sucks for you, move somewhere better and get a job in a different field". It's how the country responded to the decline in manufacturing jobs in the upper Midwest. Michigan had a one-state recession going for quite awhile. But since Democrats dominate the cities and have control of both houses and the presidency, they're going to pass some package to help their voter base that's going to be a bunch of handouts to Democratic special interests while not really making stuff better.

A decline though of 3.8 million people in the workforce. Yeah, Baby Boomers are starting to retire, but that's a lot larger than retirees. Anecdotally, there are so many businesses I've seen that are hiring.
bring back the Trump years where it was the billionaires who got the handouts
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

https://twitter.com/tomselliott/status/ ... 0399692804

Just for you Frog: a comment

Not strange. Totally normal.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Mick Mannock wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:12 pm I am not responsible for the content of a link I post.

You are not responsible for the content itself, but you are responsible for making it available to others by sharing it. Then, you are also responsible for your choice of either supporting the argument, remaining silent (which is the coward thing to do, but you still make the content available to people) or distancing yourself from it and highlighting what you see at its flaws.

Plenty of people post links, but you are the only one who consistently refuses to own your actions of sharing the links you chose to link. You always hide behind the "I didn't write this article", "I never said that" smoke screen.

You seed stuff, and you hide.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Mick Mannock wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:12 pm I am not responsible for the content of a link I post.

You are responsible though, for posting the link... and with that, you take responsibility for the content contained within the link.

We all know you deny this, which only makes it funnier.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

TheFrog wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:08 pm

You are not responsible for the content itself, but you are responsible for making it available to others by sharing it. Then, you are also responsible for your choice of either supporting the argument, remaining silent (which is the coward thing to do, but you still make the content available to people) or distancing yourself from it and highlighting what you see at its flaws.

Plenty of people post links, but you are the only one who consistently refuses to own your actions of sharing the links you chose to link. You always hide behind the "I didn't write this article", "I never said that" smoke screen.

You seed stuff, and you hide.
Words
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

guy smiley wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:42 pm

You are responsible though, for posting the link... and with that, you take responsibility for the content contained within the link.

We all know you think this, which only makes it funnier.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Mick Mannock wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:15 pm

Let's say, for the giggles, that I post a link that shows your address and family details.

It's just a link, right?
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

guy smiley wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:18 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:15 pm

Let's say, for the giggles, that I post a link that shows your address and family details.

It's just a link, right?

Go ahead. I have posted nothing that remotely equates to this.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

you take responsibility for the content contained within the link.
This place has some absurd rules!
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Well, it’s quite hard to accidentally post a link isn’t it?

So there’s an element of intent involved in linking to something. Can you have intent with no responsibility, Fats? Interesting proposition, that.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

You realise that you are responsible for the content of those links?
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:26 pm

A northeastern Democratic Congressional priority the past month or two was removing the SALT tax limit - a federal tax writeoff for state and local taxes, thus the acronym, you can count them as a deduction on your federal taxes if you itemize. The tax plan Trump agreed to in 2017 put a cap on the amount you were allowed to claim of $10k. It was largely seen as an anti-northeastern city elite person measure because they're richer in the northeast and pay higher tax rates to their states and local governments. It's driven a wedge between the Democratic leadership and more progressive members. Sanders the past couple days has ripped Pelosi and Schumer for backing repeal of the cap. I'm sure Pelosi and Schumer are more strategically-minded however. Schumer has no majority to speak of and Pelosi's is by House standards very narrow, she can only afford 4 defections from her entire caucus before she loses a vote. So the northeastern Democrats are using their power to back something their well-to-do electorate is incredibly for, but kind of goes against the Democratic Party's zeitgeist at the moment.
Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Fri May 14, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:50 pm

A northeastern Democratic Congressional priority the past month or two was removing the SALT tax limit - a federal tax writeoff for state and local taxes, thus the acronym, you can count them as a deduction on your federal taxes. The tax plan Trump agreed to in 2017 put a cap on the amount you were allowed to claim of $10k. It was largely seen as an anti-northeastern rich person measure because they're richer up there and they pay higher taxes to their states and local governments.
and West Coast. Californian state and property taxes are very chunky. Eliminating the SALT deduction cap is patently a payback to wealthy Democrat donors. Fortunately Bernie and AOC are having none of Pelosi and Schumer’s pork politics.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Mr Mike wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:56 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:50 pm

A northeastern Democratic Congressional priority the past month or two was removing the SALT tax limit - a federal tax writeoff for state and local taxes, thus the acronym, you can count them as a deduction on your federal taxes. The tax plan Trump agreed to in 2017 put a cap on the amount you were allowed to claim of $10k. It was largely seen as an anti-northeastern rich person measure because they're richer up there and they pay higher taxes to their states and local governments.
and West Coast. Californian state and property taxes are very chunky. Eliminating the SALT deduction cap is patently a payback to wealthy Democrat donors. Fortunately Bernie and AOC are having none of Pelosi and Schumer’s pork politics.
And Chicago. All areas that Democrats are in control of. I imagine in the end it's going to be put into an omnibus bill to try and downplay the bad publicity and anger from their more activist wing. But if they don't want it to be an issue to run against the party's left on in some primaries next year, they should get it passed soon. I think it has to pass, just look at the votes and the party leaders have no majority. Sanders has stated publicly he's against and he's a principled independent that won't be kowtowed by "party loyalty", so that means Schumer would need at least some Republican support to pass it. Obviously the Republicans are in favor of tax cuts, but it's not a good narrative for Schumer, who's up for reelection in 2022. So he has to deliver for his richer constituents but if he does do it would become fodder for an AOC-like individual in a primary against him (AOC has stated she might run against Schumer, which would be tantamount to declaring intra-party civil war even though I expect Schumer to still win, although I'll believe it when I see it.)