U.S. politics thread and Joe Biden-the Ronan O'Gara of U.S. Presidents

All things Rugby
piquant

Re: U.S. politics thread and Joe Biden-the Ronan O'Gara of U.S. Presidents

Post by piquant »

Mr Mike wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:58 pm
piquant wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:20 pm Because Garland was almost certainly appointed with them knowing his take on this situation, this is exactly the sort of thing which gets covered in transition.
Its exactly the sort of thing that isn’t covered in transition, precisely because the first thing the AG will be asked in confirmation or subsequent hearings is “Did the President or members of his team discuss pending matters concerning any of his political adversaries”.
And yet back in the real world....
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

piquant wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:30 pm
piquant wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:20 pm Because Garland was almost certainly appointed with them knowing his take on this situation, this is exactly the sort of thing which gets covered in transition.
Its exactly the sort of thing that isn’t covered in transition, precisely because the first thing the AG will be asked in confirmation or subsequent hearings is “Did the President or members of his team discuss pending matters concerning any of his political adversaries”.
Yeah, you are welcome to visit it when you are ready.
towny

Post by towny »

piquant wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:20 pm Because Garland was almost certainly appointed with them knowing his take on this situation, this is exactly the sort of thing which gets covered in transition. And even if they ignored their due diligence during transition preferring to be incompetent it doesn't preclude commentary from the WH now, either on this specific case (though I appreciate concerns about the AG being seen as having their authority curtailed), or in terms of requesting the law being changed so lying isn't a protected part of a politicians job.

I'd rather not have this on my desk because then I'd have to take a position on something I'd rather avoid is a pathetic defence for Biden. If that's the best he can do he deserves some stick, because who does think lying should be a protected part of his or any politicians job, and why should the people not be able to bring defamation cases if they are defamed by anyone responding to a public question? It's nuts to think this is okay, and it's on Joe's watch, so he should be getting kicked for this
You make massive assumptions and pay little heed to actual conventions and how things are designed to function.

Your opinion seems to be, that Trump’s approach was the right one. That is, regardless of convention, the President (one person) should have total control over the entire executive and only hire those that know, and are prepared to devoutly execute, all tasks as per their understanding of ideology of the king. Oops. I mean President.

On this matter, I think a political system that makes it easy for a politician to be sued for causing reputational damage, would result in a government that was far less willing to answer to the people. Why would they say anything if they could be unwittingly sued? They might have wrong information and cause damage to a person or a company - so instead they say nothing. Also, people inside the government may say less in internal meetings - what if they get sued from leaked information?

The reasoning Merrick Garland provided seemed very reasonable and the anger seems to come from those who want to see people they don’t like damaged. Screw the consequences and screw the separation or powers, rule of law and hundreds of years of convention.

The difference between these people and the GOP vandals is not as great as it otherwise seems. They run on anger.
piquant

Post by piquant »

Mr Mike wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:37 pm
piquant wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:30 pm
Yeah, you are welcome to visit it when you are ready.

Leaving aside the reality that people do talk the reason I've discussed this on this thread as opposed to Fatty Krueger's is this doesn't just relate to Trump, no matter what one might think of Trump and whether or not one might consider him a rapist and even when or not he defamed anyone in his public response to a question whilst in the executive. It speaks in the longer term to whether politicians can lie to the public as part of their job and get this sort of protection from the DoJ, and there's no way you wouldn't be allowed to discuss the wider theme in this, even if you'd have to be careful not to get caught in public discussing the fat orange cheeto
piquant

Post by piquant »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:41 pm
piquant wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:20 pm Because Garland was almost certainly appointed with them knowing his take on this situation, this is exactly the sort of thing which gets covered in transition. And even if they ignored their due diligence during transition preferring to be incompetent it doesn't preclude commentary from the WH now, either on this specific case (though I appreciate concerns about the AG being seen as having their authority curtailed), or in terms of requesting the law being changed so lying isn't a protected part of a politicians job.

I'd rather not have this on my desk because then I'd have to take a position on something I'd rather avoid is a pathetic defence for Biden. If that's the best he can do he deserves some stick, because who does think lying should be a protected part of his or any politicians job, and why should the people not be able to bring defamation cases if they are defamed by anyone responding to a public question? It's nuts to think this is okay, and it's on Joe's watch, so he should be getting kicked for this
You make massive assumptions and pay little heed to actual conventions and how things are designed to function.

Your opinion seems to be, that Trump’s approach was the right one. That is, regardless of convention, the President (one person) should have total control over the entire executive and only hire those that know, and are prepared to devoutly execute, all tasks as per their understanding of ideology of the king. Oops. I mean President.

On this matter, I think a political system that makes it easy for a politician to be sued for causing reputational damage, would result in a government that was far less willing to answer to the people. Why would they say anything if they could be unwittingly sued? They might have wrong information and cause damage to a person or a company - so instead they say nothing. Also, people inside the government may say less in internal meetings - what if they get sued from leaked information?

The reasoning Merrick Garland provided seemed very reasonable and the anger seems to come from those who want to see people they don’t like damaged. Screw the consequences and screw the separation or powers, rule of law and hundreds of years of convention.

The difference between these people and the GOP vandals is not as great as it otherwise seems. They run on anger.
Nope, not even close, Trump was and is a disgusting piece of shit.

However if your and Biden's defence is the President has too much power as one individual and should be careful as to how they participate that' okay, but Biden then needs to show programme he's bringing forwards to limit the power of the executive. Which actually wouldn't be a bad idea, and hopefully could get support from both sides of the aisle

And no, allowing for my concerns about politicians lying doesn't open the flood gates for any and all political types getting sued when they might have proceeded on bad information or anything close. Because they then would have been acting under the role of their office
paddyor

Post by paddyor »

All the presidents lawyers does a good job of explaining the DOJs position. It's Ken WHite the don't talk to the cops guy. Tends to break down a lot of the arguements you see online ettc. High success rate of avoiding sensationalism
towny

Post by towny »

piquant wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:36 pm

However if your and Biden's defence is the President has too much power as one individual and should be careful as to how they participate that' okay, but Biden then needs to show programme he's bringing forwards to limit the power of the executive. Which actually wouldn't be a bad idea, and hopefully could get support from both sides of the aisle

And no, allowing for my concerns about politicians lying doesn't open the flood gates for any and all political types getting sued when they might have proceeded on bad information or anything close. Because they then would have been acting under the role of their office
You should draft a letter to Merrick Garland - I’m sure he’d agree with you.
piquant

Post by piquant »

towny wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:05 pm
piquant wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:36 pm

You should draft a letter to Merrick Garland - I’m sure he’d agree with you.
The House Judiciary Committee has already done just that with a letter. It's not exactly an unusual concern I'm taking here, because this goes beyond a Biden or a Trump.

That said it sounds like the DoJ has quite a lot going on right now with their unethical and possibly illegal hacking of journos and politicians, and yet even then they might be allowed to investigate themselves

On what Biden might do about the powers of the executive it sounds like they (team Biden) are considering a number of actions which might impinge on whether such as defamation is covered as part of the job description, up to and including removing immunity from prosecution for the President. The smart (or at least inside) money at this point is on the current executive not seeking to curtail the authority of the executive but perhaps removing Special Counsels from being fireable by the President and trusting that does enough to distance Biden from Trump without pushing Biden to remove power from himself, ideally if Biden does try to do the least possible people continue to apply pressure.
The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

Biden and Macron having a laugh at the Wobblies chances... fookers!
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

AOC's aunt throws San Juan mayor under the bus.

Sorry for the source for the sensitive-types

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyYuXU_hveY
towny

Post by towny »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:26 pm AOC's aunt throws San Juan mayor under the bus.

You’re adding so much value to this thread.
Sefton

Post by Sefton »

towny wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:30 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:26 pm AOC's aunt throws San Juan mayor under the bus.

He gives a fair warning of what happens to your critical faculties if you follow him down the rabbit hole.
Last edited by Sefton on Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
towny

Post by towny »

Sefton wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:54 pm
towny wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:30 pm

He gives a fair warning of what happens to your critical faculties if you follow home down the rabbit hole.
He’s so deep. Old Bimbo may be lost too.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

The Optimist wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:24 pm Image

:lol:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

MungoMan wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:25 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

:lol: :lol:
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Chuck Schumer :lol:

"Retarded kids"
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Looks like the US under Biden have decided that the European are their natural allies and that they should unite forces to fend off Russian and Chinese challenges.

Tariffs have been suspended for 5 years, time for the two to agree on a level playing field for aerospace subsidies and to organize the resistance to State funded aircraft development in China and Russia.

I am going to be able to buy my Scotch at decent price again, since the UK have reached a similar agreement with the US.
puku

Post by puku »

Juneteenth, a new Federal Holiday.

Thank you Joe Biden for signing this into law :thumbup:
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Great to see the rest of the Union finally catch up to Texas. Enjoy the long weekend
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Biden is already 20 times the president the stain Trump wasn't.

The sight of him signing the 'Juneteenth' holiday with the diverse crowd behind him almost brought a tear to my eye.

Also, he got in some strife by calling a CNN (?) reporter a bellend or some such but get this..he apologised! :shock:

Fancy that. From a president in the past five years.

Biden: GC.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

The southern border may have become an utter shit show since Trump left office but at least the millions of new illegals will get an extra day off. :thumbup:
puku

Post by puku »

fatcat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:59 pm The southern border may have become an utter shit show since Trump left office but at least the millions of new illegals will get an extra day off. :thumbup:
I'm sure the argument is being made out there in the lunatic fringe, that Biden making Juneteenth a Federal Holiday will only encourage more undocumented people to cross the southern border.

Ps. A Federal Holiday doesn't guarantee a day off. For example, those undocumented folks still working for Trump will still likely have to clock on.
fatcat

Post by fatcat »

A great riposte Puku. :thumbup:
piquant

Post by piquant »

puku wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:20 pm
fatcat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:59 pm The southern border may have become an utter shit show since Trump left office but at least the millions of new illegals will get an extra day off. :thumbup:
I'm sure the argument is being made out there in the lunatic fringe, that Biden making Juneteenth a Federal Holiday will only encourage more undocumented people to cross the southern border.

Ps. A Federal Holiday doesn't guarantee a day off. For example, those undocumented folks still working for Trump will still likely have to clock on.

It's also very, very weird to think the border has become a problem since Trump left office. All the big drivers of mass migration have only increased in recent times, a number of them actually being encouraged by Trump.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

piquant wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:23 pm
puku wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:20 pm

It's also very, very weird to think the border has become a problem since Trump left office. All the big drivers of mass migration have only increased in recent times, a number of them actually being encouraged by Trump.
Lot's to report that migrants came in big numbers because of Biden and the Democrats using them as political tools to virtue signal against Trump in their media circles. I mean Trump's immigration policy was more or less the same as Obama's, though Trump rhetoric was much harsher. They were never actually interested in them. Hence Kamala Harris' basic "We won the election, we don't actually want you, now fudge-off back to Latin America" statements recently.

This is sad because as I've said many times, you don't need to play political games and lie/deceive to expose what a dick head Trump is. But you can be honest players in the game and not trick people to do things because they think you are going to do something else.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Harris has not even visited.

Then again, she has not been to Europe or Mars either.

Perhaps Captain Chocolate Chip will tell her to go
towny

Post by towny »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:08 pm

Look at you flailing in the wind. Just imagine how much ammo you’d have and how excited you’d be if Biden was a 4 times bankrupt conman that, among other character flaws, was close personal friends with the world’s most famous paedophile?
piquant

Post by piquant »

What about visiting a wall speaks to the underlying problems driving people to migrate in ways the USA often doesn't want?

By the time the wall has come into play it rather seems the horse has already bolted
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

towny wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:59 pm

Look at you flailing in the wind. Just imagine how much ammo you’d have and how excited you’d be if Biden was a 4 times bankrupt conman that, among other character flaws, was close personal friends with the world’s most famous paedophile?

Poor Mick
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

puku wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:36 pm Juneteenth, a new Federal Holiday.

Thank you Joe Biden for signing this into law :thumbup:
Inspired me some browsing and reading on the internet, and as today is a Sunday, I was particularly interested in the relationship between slavery and churches.

http://utc.iath.virginia.edu/christn/chesjgbat.html

I thought the above makes good reading for people like me who lack culture and knowledge of the US history.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

I thought Biden would never be in control and that the real threat was that, in voting Biden in, voters were effectively handing over power to Harris?

I am all confused now.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

He's friends with Prince Andrew?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

In a rare case of both Republican and Democrats teaming up for the right reasons in the house, they tell Jeff Bezos to get f**ked for a $10 billion bailout:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/funding-fo ... 1624008601

Also a petition to keep Bezos in Space and not return when he goes is going strong:

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/20/10085598 ... 4306781237
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:20 pm In a rare case of both Republican and Democrats teaming up for the right reasons in the house, they tell Jeff Bezos to get f**ked for a $10 billion bailout:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/funding-fo ... 1624008601

Also a petition to keep Bezos in Space and not return when he goes is going strong:

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/20/10085598 ... 4306781237
Just a matter of time

The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

So much winning. . :thumbup:
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Watching the mess in Iran, created by Trump. His pulling out of the JCPOA meant that the reformers have been definitely sideline, the little that was left of Democracy shut down. An ultra conservative President has been elected (with 60% of the votes representing 18% of the people because of the massive boycott). The Iranian are enriching Uranium more than ever.

Biden will have a tough job negotiating a way out of this crisis. His luck is that the USA and it allies don't need Iran today as they did back in 2015 when ISIS was at its peak. So he won't need to compromise. But the world is not safer as a result of Trump's policy. Quite the contrary.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

TheFrog wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:06 am Watching the mess in Iran, created by Trump. His pulling out of the JCPOA meant that the reformers have been definitely sideline, the little that was left of Democracy shut down. An ultra conservative President has been elected (with 60% of the votes representing 18% of the people because of the massive boycott). The Iranian are enriching Uranium more than ever.

Biden will have a tough job negotiating a way out of this crisis. His luck is that the USA and it allies don't need Iran today as they did back in 2015 when ISIS was at its peak. So he won't need to compromise. But the world is not safer as a result of Trump's policy. Quite the contrary.
Breaking Points did a great analysis of the new Iranian leader. Basically Trump's idiocy over Iran meant the hardliners could give a "told you so, the wets can't be trusted" and the masses of middle class educated who supported moderates lost their livelihoods over sanctions. So guess what direction the moderates moved in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llhgUyyxVZ8&t
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

[quote="eldanielfire " post_id=6942938 time=1624706256 user_id=8501]
[quote="TheFrog " post_id=6942748 time=1624676761 user_id=660]
Watching the mess in Iran, created by Trump. His pulling out of the JCPOA meant that the reformers have been definitely sideline, the little that was left of Democracy shut down. An ultra conservative President has been elected (with 60% of the votes representing 18% of the people because of the massive boycott). The Iranian are enriching Uranium more than ever.

[/quote]

Breaking Points did a great analysis of the new Iranian leader. Basically Trump's idiocy over Iran meant the hardliners could give a "told you so, the wets can't be trusted" and the masses of middle class educated who supported moderates lost their livelihoods over sanctions. So guess what direction the moderates moved in?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llhgUyyxVZ8&t
[/quote]

Iranian people in their huge majority want the regime out and this hasn't changed since 2009 and the massive demonstrations suppressed in blood.

The number of people who did not turn out to vote was 2/3 of the electorate. This massive. In a dictatorship like Iran, it takes a lot of courage not to turn up for a ballot. However, the Iranian stood united in rejection of the power.

But within the power rings, indeed, all Trump has done has been to enable the hardliners to shut down the reformers.