All things Rugby
TheFrog

Re: President-Elect Joe Biden and U.S. Politics Catch-All

Post by TheFrog »

Santa wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:16 am
Whatever wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:39 am
Santa wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:37 pm
Whatever wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:56 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:10 pm According to how race and ethnicity works in America, there's no such thing as Irish or Italian or Polish, etc. anymore on a national context, there's just white. The blacks, Latinos, Asians don't distinguish the different European nationalities and in a larger context in white society it's rapidly dying due to increased movement around the country as well as intermarriage between all the white ethnic nationalities. The only places they really exist to any degree are eastern seaboard and a few Midwest cities, normally when they all go to a Catholic Church because Catholics marry Catholics and you can go back four or so generations all living in the same city.
Yeah, I watch some of these programs where people try to trace their ancestry and I just think "how can you not know where you came from, it's your heritage?". Being just a generic white guy is a bit boring really.
Why? If you're a generic white guy in America your heritage is putting a man - a few men - on the moon. On the f.ucking moon. Not bad in the scale of human achievement.
So everyone involved in putting a man on the moon was a white guy? Anyway man on the moon was so 60s. Now we're building a big, beautiful wall. :thumbup:

And yet, I grieve for the lost white tribes of America. :(
I agree with you. Egyptians shouldn't be proud of their heritage like, say, the Giza pyramids because everyone who built them was not Egyptian. :thumbup:

And what we know from the talkies is that nobody would have got to the moon with those three black lady mathematicians. Nobody else in NASA could have done those sums. Another first for Africa. :thumbup:
I didn't realize you can be such a diick...
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Santa wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:50 pm
4071 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:47 am
Whatever wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:39 am
Santa wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:37 pm

Why? If you're a generic white guy in America your heritage is putting a man - a few men - on the moon. On the f.ucking moon. Not bad in the scale of human achievement.
So everyone involved in putting a man on the moon was a white guy? Anyway man on the moon was so 60s. Now we're building a big, beautiful wall. :thumbup:

And yet, I grieve for the lost white tribes of America. :(
I agree with you. Egyptians shouldn't be proud of their heritage like, say, the Giza pyramids because everyone who built them was not Egyptian. :thumbup:

And what we know from the talkies is that nobody would have got to the moon with those three black lady mathematicians. Nobody else in NASA could have done those sums. Another first for Africa. :thumbup:
Ah, another one suggesting that black people are African, not American.

Okay.
Black people aren't African?

Okay.
So the colour of your skin exclusively defines who you are? You're forever African (whatever that means in your mind given the variety of African people from South Africa to Morocco or Egypt...)?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Santa wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:31 am Biden's pick for Veterans Affairs is... interesting.

Denis McDonough has no military experience, has never run a large bureaucracy and has no background in healthcare. He is, however, an Obama alum and that appears to be enough.

Veretans groups now pissed off because they are being asked to support a nomination they were never consulted on.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... ns-groups/
Bloody liar MSM! Always picking on the President Elect. I understand your outrage.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:16 pm
koroke hangareka wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:07 pm
Santa wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:50 pm
4071 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 11:47 am

Ah, another one suggesting that black people are African, not American.

Okay.
Black people aren't African?

Okay.
Are you African if you've never so much as visited Africa? It sounds as if race is really important to you.
Depends who you ask. The NAACP will never accept a white South African whose family has been there 4 generations as being African. African-American is a stand-in for black. When Lewis Hamilton won the U.S. Grand Prix at Indianapolis, ESPN had him on TV. The only reason they cared is he was black, if Nico Rosberg won it wasn't like they would have invited him on. The presenter who knew nothing about racing I'm sure commented he was "the first African-American to win a major auto race here". I'm watching this live and thinking "he's not American!" If this was pointed out to her she'd've stumbled for a few seconds and then might've come up with "African-British".
Precisely the issue guys like Santa are creating.

I appreciate it is a difficult issue. When do you start belonging more to one world than to the other when you are a migrant (whether migrating of your own will, or forced through slavery or violence back home)? Hybrid cultures is often the reality. It is highly dynamic. But there is little chance that an African American of slavery ascent would feel home in the region of Africa his origins go back to.

Same with second or third generation migrants. They may maintain some link to their culture of origin but often they develop a mixed culture and really belong to the place they were born in and grew up in.

DNA testing of each and everyone of us will tell a story of migration and mixed blood. Where do you draw the racial line Santa way?
DOB

Post by DOB »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:05 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:10 pm According to how race and ethnicity works in America, there's no such thing as Irish or Italian or Polish, etc. anymore on a national context, there's just white. The blacks, Latinos, Asians don't distinguish the different European nationalities and in a larger context in white society it's rapidly dying due to increased movement around the country as well as intermarriage between all the white ethnic nationalities. The only places they really exist to any degree are eastern seaboard and a few Midwest cities, normally when they all go to a Catholic Church because Catholics marry Catholics and you can go back four or so generations all living in the same city.
Yeah, I watch some of these programs where people try to trace their ancestry and I just think "how can you not know where you came from, it's your heritage?". Being just a generic white guy is a bit boring really.
Guy in my mom's family from the 1950s traced them back to coming over in 1760 from Germany (well, Baden-Wurttemberg in the Holy Roman Empire to be more accurate). My dad's family however requires a lot of digging and research because my great grandfather was kind of orphaned, but we're probably Scotch-Irish.

One difference I've read between Americans (Canadians can be included with Americans as well because they're the same) and Europeans is we move large distances more easily while Europeans largely don't. It's not just a moving from Italy to France problem, it's a moving from one city in Germany to another city in Germany problem. Economically it creates larger workforce problems in Europe due to you can't get the workers where you need them. A side effect of that is people here aren't as connected to their "roots". Where I've moved to recently is where my wife is from, and everyone knows everyone and go back enough generations, maybe related. I'm from a military town in contrast so it's odd to me.
My wife's dad's family can trace their Norwegian heritage back hundreds of years, because her great great grandfather was a professor of Norwegian studies and wrote books on the subject. And on their Irish side, they can trace the tree back to when Great+++ grandad left the Aran Islands for America in the pre-famine years; meaning they can actually track their Irish roots back to an earlier date than my Dad has been able to trace ours, due to the lack of records remaining from rural Ireland in the early 1800s.

Her mother's family still have relatives in Sweden that we're in touch with.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Guy in my mom's family from the 1950s traced them back to coming over in 1760 from Germany (well, Baden-Wurttemberg in the Holy Roman Empire to be more accurate). My dad's family however requires a lot of digging and research because my great grandfather was kind of orphaned, but we're probably Scotch-Irish.

One difference I've read between Americans (Canadians can be included with Americans as well because they're the same) and Europeans is we move large distances more easily while Europeans largely don't. It's not just a moving from Italy to France problem, it's a moving from one city in Germany to another city in Germany problem. Economically it creates larger workforce problems in Europe due to you can't get the workers where you need them. A side effect of that is people here aren't as connected to their "roots". Where I've moved to recently is where my wife is from, and everyone knows everyone and go back enough generations, maybe related. I'm from a military town in contrast so it's odd to me.
Well I guess the experience is a little similar in Australia and New Zealand, although some Aussies might want to keep their ancestry quiet. But people's ancestors came there from a long way away, and often moved around quite a bit especially if they were real pioneers as one half of mine were. However I know my forbears are mainly Scottish, with some Irish and a little bit of English (don't like to admit that) thrown in, and we know whereabouts in the 'old country' most of them came from. But at least no German 8) I think most people downunder know their family background, that's why it was surprising to me that many Americans don't. Last job there was a guy who was an ancestry boff; asked me if I wanted him to help trace my ancestry :lol:
DOB

Post by DOB »

Whatever wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:59 pm However I know my forbears are mainly Scottish, with some Irish and a little bit of English (don't like to admit that) thrown in, and we know whereabouts in the 'old country' most of them came from. But at least no German 8)
I met up with some relatives when I was in QLD, and one of them had married a Nagle. The Nagles had been very proud of their Irish heritage, until someone traced the ancestry; the Nagel family had arrived in from the Fatherland in the early 1900s. Granny Nagle was very, very upset about this and never accepted that they might be German.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

DOB wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:00 pm
Whatever wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:59 pm However I know my forbears are mainly Scottish, with some Irish and a little bit of English (don't like to admit that) thrown in, and we know whereabouts in the 'old country' most of them came from. But at least no German 8)
I met up with some relatives when I was in QLD, and one of them had married a Nagle. The Nagles had been very proud of their Irish heritage, until someone traced the ancestry; the Nagel family had arrived in from the Fatherland in the early 1900s. Granny Nagle was very, very upset about this and never accepted that they might be German.
There are some people who don't want to be German, and then there are people Germany didn't want:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... yal-decree
"A historian has discovered a royal decree issued to Donald Trump’s grandfather ordering him to leave Germany and never come back.
Friedrich Trump, a German, was issued with the document in February 1905, and ordered to leave the kingdom of Bavaria within eight weeks as punishment for having failed to do mandatory military service and failing to give authorities notice of his departure to the US when he first emigrated in 1885."

Avoiding military service just like his grandson. Don's home village in Germany is not so very proud of him.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Whatever wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:13 pm
There are some people who don't want to be German, and then there are people Germany didn't want:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... yal-decree
"A historian has discovered a royal decree issued to Donald Trump’s grandfather ordering him to leave Germany and never come back.
Friedrich Trump, a German, was issued with the document in February 1905, and ordered to leave the kingdom of Bavaria within eight weeks as punishment for having failed to do mandatory military service and failing to give authorities notice of his departure to the US when he first emigrated in 1885."

Avoiding military service just like his grandson. Don's home village in Germany is not so very proud of him.
So 20 years after he left Bavaria, he was told to never return?

This is like DOB being sent a nasty letter from the Irish government years after he immigrated to California. :lol:
I think most people downunder know their family background, that's why it was surprising to me that many Americans don't.
You have to think of timescales. Unless you live in a completely inward-looking society where everyone that lives there is from there, most people don't know what all their so many grandparents were doing a hundred years prior. For my mom's family following the paternal ancestor I think I'm the 10th generation in this country. From what I remember of the book, he came over the boat from Germany, settled in Pennsylvania near Allentown where the descendants over the years were farmers, served in the Continental Army during the Revolution, a descendant served in the Union Army during the Civil War, at some point they moved to Indiana, still farmers. My dad's family for the people we think we're descended from again following the paternal ancestor, we're back in eastern Tennessee circa 1820. I need to go to a local library that is recognized nationally for geneology research. Just need time and a few days off.
Last edited by Flyin Ryan on Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Nah, I get letters from Trinity College asking me for money.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

My aunt by marriage found a brother she never knew about from the Ancestry DNA test.
Jay Cee Gee

Post by Jay Cee Gee »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 7:47 pm
It says he'd returned and wanted to stay.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:09 pm
Ah.

When I was college, one of my engineering professors died mid-semester. His replacement was a Turkish postdoc or grad student or something. It was an 8am class so you'd have a lot of students at times not show up. He was kind of ranting about this one morning saying "I don't understand why. You're paying to be here. In my native Turkey, I understand why, because when you finish college you have to serve in military, so some people take 10 years to finish college." :lol:
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Jay Cee Gee wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 8:09 pm
I heard grandpa Trump told the German army "Sie sind Trottel und Verlierer"!
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Massive cyberattack on civilian U.S. government agencies made public a few days ago. Probably had access to emails of some public officials going back to June.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/12/1 ... ies-445376
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:09 pm Massive cyberattack on civilian U.S. government agencies made public a few days ago. Probably had access to emails of some public officials going back to June.

Yes, there's that. There's a record Covid death toll yesterday. There's a possible government shutdown in a couple of days, and an ongoing stimulus bill impasse.

I look forward to President Trump addressing the nation on these matters.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Whatever wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:22 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 9:09 pm Massive cyberattack on civilian U.S. government agencies made public a few days ago. Probably had access to emails of some public officials going back to June.

Yes, there's that. There's a record Covid death toll yesterday. There's a possible government shutdown in a couple of days, and an ongoing stimulus bill impasse.

I thought there was an outside chance of him just resigning post-Electoral College and Pence has the next-to-shortest presidency in history. It could still happen after Congress votes to accept the results of the presidential election once their new term starts in January.

(If it happened it would provide Trump an out of "graciously leaving the White House acknowledging his successor", with that successor not being Biden. Pence would be all for it even if it's just 2 weeks.)
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:28 pm

I thought there was an outside chance of him just resigning post-Electoral College and Pence has the next-to-shortest presidency in history. It could still happen after Congress votes to accept the results of the presidential election once their new term starts in January.

(If it happened it would provide Trump an out of "graciously leaving the White House acknowledging his successor", with that successor not being Biden. Pence would be all for it even if it's just 2 weeks.)
That would also open the possibility that Pence could pardon Trump, no?

Trump might have to find another place to go to, with the news that his neighbours in Florida don't want him there.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Whatever wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:33 pm
Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:28 pm

That would also open the possibility that Pence could pardon Trump, no?
I guess although there would be the obligatory challenge in court. Pence would be an idiot if he did it considering he's clearly intending on running in 2024.

Personally I think the right of pardon should be completely removed from executive power. It should've been after Clinton left office and heavily abused it in favor of his friends.
Trump might have to find another place to go to, with the news that his neighbours in Florida don't want him there.
It's not like they can do anything about it. If Trump wants to live there, he will, and he'll have Secret Service protection on top of it.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Biden for his Cabinet picks continues picking House Democrats and no Senate Democrats.

Toulouse-Oliver attempted to screw over New Mexico Libertarians for ballot access earlier this year.
Biden has officially nominated two term NM-1 Rep. Deb Haaland (D) as his choice for Interior Secretary, bypassing fellow New Mexican Sens. Martin Heinrich (D) and Tom Udall (D). Haaland, a former state Dem chair of Native American heritage, received significant support from insiders.

The decision means there will be a special for Haaland’s NM-1. The seat is a D+7, mixed White-Hispanic seat covering essentially all of Albuquerque and its inner suburbs, along with a rural tail to the east. Importantly, there will be no primaries in the special; a cabal of insiders from the state Dem and GOP central committees will appoint their respective nominees.

The all-important Dem nomination will likely be decided by only a handful of officials, and this it is likely to come from the ranks of established pols. Dems have a huge bench in the seat. From statewide office, three statewide officials live in the seat: SoS Maggie Toulouse-Oliver (D), Auditor Brian Colon (D), and Treasurer Tim Eichenberg (D). Toulouse-Oliver in particular is highly ambitious and seems like the initial front runner. Another big name who lives in the seat and could be interested is Albuquerque Mayor Tim Keller (D). From the prior candidate file, a name to watch could be ex-US Attorney Damon Martinez (D), who lost the 2018 primary to Haaland. From the legislature, the most obvious name is State Sen. Antoinette Sedillo-Lopez (D), who also lost a bid to Haaland two years ago, but there are roughly 10 State Senators and 20 State Reps in the seat who could all be possiblities. Ex-State Rep. Rick Miera (D), the former State House Majority Leader who lost a bid for LG in 2018, is also worth a mention. Pretty much all Dem members of the Albuquerque council and in Bernalillo County government can be possible as well.

Republicans have an uphill race in trying to contest the seat, but the potential for hurt feelings from the Dem selection could give them an opening. The GOP bench in the seat is not great, but there are real possibilities. 2020 Senate nominee Mark Ronchetti (R), who over performed expectations in his run this year and is a prominent former TV weatherman, is likely the NRCC’s dream candidate; however, he may want to keep his powder dry for a future statewide race. The most politically prominent R in the seat is ex-Albuquerque Mayor Richard Berry (R), but he left office in 2017 highly unpopular. There are, however, about 4 GOP State Senators and 10 State Reps. in the district. From the prior candidate file, possible names could include 2020 nominee and prosecutor Michelle Garcia-Holmes (R), ex-LG John Sanchez (R), ex-State Auditor Wayne Johnson (R), and 2018 Senate nominee Mick Rich (R).
mightyreds

Post by mightyreds »

Biden, The Great Pretender, may get inaugurated, but this has got a long way to run beyond that. I believe things could change drastically over the coming weeks, and months.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

mightyreds wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:25 am Biden, The Great Pretender, may get inaugurated, but this has got a long way to run beyond that. I believe things could change drastically over the coming weeks, and months.
There wouldn't be a poster on this forum with less credibility on a given topic than you have on the US Election.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:37 am
mightyreds wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:25 am Biden, The Great Pretender, may get inaugurated, but this has got a long way to run beyond that. I believe things could change drastically over the coming weeks, and months.
There wouldn't be a poster on this forum with less credibility on a given topic than you have on the US Election.
RandomNavigat0r wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:32 am Hold my beer...
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Slim 293 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:12 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:37 am
RandomNavigat0r wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:32 am Hold my beer...
:lol:

Post by 4071 »

I feel some sympathy for Jill Biden. She's in for a shitty four years.

The attack dogs of the Fascist right have been going after her for even allowing her husband to run in the election, but the attacks on her education - even before Biden takes office - are really harsh.

Lead scumbag Tucker Carlson has even devoted a chunk of his show attacking her dissertation, labelling it "illiterate" and a "national shame".
The whole thing is just incredibly embarrassing. And not simply to poor illiterate Jill Biden, but to the college that considered this crap scholarship. Embarrassing, in fact, to our entire system of higher education, to the nation itself. Jill Biden's doctoral dissertation is our national shame.
They really are f**king scum.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

4071 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:26 pm I feel some sympathy for Jill Biden. She's in for a shitty four years.

The attack dogs of the Fascist right have been going after her for even allowing her husband to run in the election, but the attacks on her education - even before Biden takes office - are really harsh.
I'm hardly Trump-sympathetic, but the media has done this exact same thing to Melania for 4 years. You can't act like something you practiced for 4 years becomes not kosher just because the party in charge changes unless you're willing to go back and condemn your own past actions.

I remember the first time she decorated the White House for Christmas there were media articles jumping on her taste for decorations. Seriously, this was a thing. Bearing in mind she's the first "not American" First Lady since probably a couple of the First Ladies at the beginning, she probably has a different style of what Christmas is being from eastern Europe. If it was a Latino First Lady and some media jumped on that one's taste for Christmas decor, there'd've been a rush of defense to multiculturalism and white people need to appreciate that Christmas doesn't fit this uniform regimented ideal. No, we hate Trump, so we hate Melania, and her Christmas decor was all wrong. We've long ago left having a good responsible media with idealistic journalistic principles. We'd be better off if we just admitted that instead of thinking they're something they're not.
koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:44 pm
4071 wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:26 pm I feel some sympathy for Jill Biden. She's in for a shitty four years.

I'm hardly Trump-sympathetic, but the media has done this exact same thing to Melania for 4 years. You can't act like something you practiced for 4 years becomes not kosher just because the party in charge changes unless you're willing to go back and condemn your own past actions...

4071 called Melania illiterate? For shame, 4071.
Santa

Post by Santa »

Jill Biden :lol:

In her masters dissertation she said something stupid like "Three quarters of X are white and one quarter are poc. The remainder are Asian." Perhaps innumerate is a better description.
Zico

Post by Zico »

Santa wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:23 pm Jill Biden :lol:

In her masters dissertation she said something stupid like "Three quarters of X are white and one quarter are poc. The remainder are Asian." Perhaps innumerate is a better description.
That sounds like something plagiarised from one of Melania's inspirational speeches. :shock:
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

I'm hardly Trump-sympathetic, but the media has done this exact same thing to Melania for 4 years. You can't act like something you practiced for 4 years becomes not kosher just because the party in charge changes unless you're willing to go back and condemn your own past actions.

I remember the first time she decorated the White House for Christmas there were media articles jumping on her taste for decorations. Seriously, this was a thing. Bearing in mind she's the first "not American" First Lady since probably a couple of the First Ladies at the beginning, she probably has a different style of what Christmas is being from eastern Europe. If it was a Latino First Lady and some media jumped on that one's taste for Christmas decor, there'd've been a rush of defense to multiculturalism and white people need to appreciate that Christmas doesn't fit this uniform regimented ideal. No, we hate Trump, so we hate Melania, and her Christmas decor was all wrong. We've long ago left having a good responsible media with idealistic journalistic principles. We'd be better off if we just admitted that instead of thinking they're something they're not.
Honestly, I don't envy the life of these ladies. I listened to an interview of Michele Obama who was saying how suddenly she realized everything she said or did would become an opportunity for the media and the opposition to his husband to tear them apart and how suddenly life can't be spontaneous.

Politics the way they are run is a shit world and this is no surprise that so many people lose faith in politicians. The media play a great role in it by permanently seeking to dig dirt.

While I think it is the job of the opposition media to bring up the serious stuff, the other smear campaigns are detestable.
Santa

Post by Santa »

She's a Doctor you sexists. Dr. Biden.

Post by 4071 »

koroke hangareka wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 1:54 pm

I'm hardly Trump-sympathetic, but the media has done this exact same thing to Melania for 4 years. You can't act like something you practiced for 4 years becomes not kosher just because the party in charge changes unless you're willing to go back and condemn your own past actions...

4071 called Melania illiterate? For shame, 4071.
I did. When I had a go at her doctoral dissertation, despite only having a BA myself. And I condemn my past action.

Oh, wait... no... that didn't happen at all!
Zico

Post by Zico »

Flynn Ryan is a more modern Dad than I am.

I could not equate Melania's choices in life to Jill Biden.

It's hard to believe he would either, but he's not a MAGA apparently. :roll:
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Zico wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:41 pm Flynn Ryan is a more modern Dad than I am.

I could not equate Melania's choices in life to Jill Biden.

It's hard to believe he would either, but he's not a MAGA apparently. :roll:
What exactly do you mean by your second sentence?

As for your third, FR has been very clear about his dislike for Trump.
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

The fact that Doc Biden didn't wholesale plagiarise her thesis like the rest of us is what makes her more of a worry
Santa

Post by Santa »

President-elect Joe Biden on Saturday said the U.S. government has “long broken promises to Native American tribes,” in remarks officially introducing Rep. Deb Haaland (D-N.M.) as his pick for Interior secretary, making her the first Native American to be selected for a Cabinet position.
Sounds bad. I guess he would know having been government for the last 40 years.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... e-american
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

I thought the media were not nasty to Melania for the most part. The feeling toward her ranged from sympathy to pity.
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

Lead scumbag Tucker Carlson has even devoted a chunk of his show attacking her dissertation, labelling it "illiterate" and a "national shame".
The whole thing is just incredibly embarrassing. And not simply to poor illiterate Jill Biden, but to the college that considered this crap scholarship. Embarrassing, in fact, to our entire system of higher education, to the nation itself. Jill Biden's doctoral dissertation is our national shame.
They really are f**king scum.
He had this whole make believe rant about being in an ambulance and waking up in ER where you find Dr Jill is practicing medicine for some reason and the nurses are confounded that she doesn't have a stethoscope to treat but has instead brought an overhead projector to the hospital. You as the unlucky example in this very probable real life situation slip away into a coma due to the shock.

I have not made any of the above up, Tucker Carlson actually said this.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

TheFrog wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 2:37 pm

Honestly, I don't envy the life of these ladies. I listened to an interview of Michele Obama who was saying how suddenly she realized everything she said or did would become an opportunity for the media and the opposition to his husband to tear them apart and how suddenly life can't be spontaneous.

Politics the way they are run is a shit world and this is no surprise that so many people lose faith in politicians. The media play a great role in it by permanently seeking to dig dirt.

While I think it is the job of the opposition media to bring up the serious stuff, the other smear campaigns are detestable.
Read up on Franklin Pierce's wife. I'm doing a historical presidential election podcast and have finished up through 1860. Pierce was elected in 1852 as a darkhorse candidate for the Democrats, and his wife was a devout Christian woman that completely hated politics. Their marriage was complicated due to a lot of miscarriages and they only had 1 living son. Going to Washington for the inauguration the train they were riding on derailed with only 1 casualty, their 11-year-old son. She completely removed herself from public life and blamed their son's death as punishment for her husband doing politics. It drove Pierce the new president to drink a lot. All this in a very troubling period in the runup to the Civil War.

Last I heard the First Lady's staff is something like 15 people funded to the tune of $1.5-2 million. Be one of the first things I'd vote to drop for how monarchialist it is. Want to have a White House staff, great, shouldn't be tied to who Big Guy is married to. Especially in this newer world where women can be president, I doubt Bill Clinton if Hillary won was going to be Chief Interior Decorator In Charge.

(Presidents that were widowed or bachelors in the past still had First Ladies who acted as White House hostess, normally a family relation like a daughter, sister, or niece. But there's official government items like coins of the First Ladies that don't recognize these people as First Ladies.)
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Whatever wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:59 pm

Well I guess the experience is a little similar in Australia and New Zealand, although some Aussies might want to keep their ancestry quiet. But people's ancestors came there from a long way away, and often moved around quite a bit especially if they were real pioneers as one half of mine were. However I know my forbears are mainly Scottish, with some Irish and a little bit of English (don't like to admit that) thrown in, and we know whereabouts in the 'old country' most of them came from. But at least no German 8) I think most people downunder know their family background, that's why it was surprising to me that many Americans don't. Last job there was a guy who was an ancestry boff; asked me if I wanted him to help trace my ancestry :lol:
Why? It's usually a point of pride if you've got convict heritage. Very few can claim it.