Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

All things Rugby
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 42415
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:35 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 am
Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:29 pm Remember the good old days when England used to play with Shontayne Hape and Riki Flutey in the centres? And Lesley Vainikolo on the wing.

The late 00s were definitely a classic era for English rugby.
Not one of those three came to England to play rugby for England. Two of them didn't even come to England to play rugby union and were here for over 5 years before they started playing the game.
England will select anyone who is playing in the premiership and is qualified and good enough. I've never had a problem with that and never will. What I don't want is the RFU doing what the IRFU are doing and actively seeking players abroad to qualify them to play for England.
What f**king difference does it make? The end result was the same. Our union just has to be more proactive to compete as we have a much smaller pool of players to choose from. No country exists in isolation. Christ your post was just so naive.
I'm not saying your union is doing anything wrong BUT young people playing rugby in Ireland know that your union is actively going to other countries on an ongoing basis looking for the finished article to place in their teams (which you guys delight in telling us are just an extension of your union).
Our union is not doing that. However our clubs independently look around the world for players. The clubs do not want to lose those players to the England national team they just want them for themselves. With the 3 year residency rule a few were likely to become eligible to play for England. Now it's 5 years it will be even fewer. However it's still only right and proper that the RFU only consider qualified players who are signed up with a premiership club for selection. Call it naive if you want but I think we've got the balance right.

As for Ireland having to have EIGHT of their matchday 23 imported for the purpose of playing international rugby that is nonsense. You would be competitive with zero
rialtoblue
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by rialtoblue »

8?

Burns herring and bealham were qualified from birth and play their rugby in Ireland. A few posts ago that was OK by you
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 14242
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by message #2527204 »

Zico wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:12 am
message #2527204 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:04 am
Zico wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:08 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 am What I don't want is the RFU doing what the IRFU are doing and actively seeking players abroad to qualify them to play for England.
Like Sam Burgess?
:lol: :lol: Of all the players to pick :lol:
Sorry if it hurts.
What hurts? He was born in Dewsbury and played for Bradford and Great Britain at league.
If Bundee Aki was born in Dingle and played GAA until he was 21 before emigrating ... you'd have a point.
Mullet 2

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Mullet 2 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:32 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:35 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:56 am
Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:29 pm Remember the good old days when England used to play with Shontayne Hape and Riki Flutey in the centres? And Lesley Vainikolo on the wing.

The late 00s were definitely a classic era for English rugby.
Not one of those three came to England to play rugby for England. Two of them didn't even come to England to play rugby union and were here for over 5 years before they started playing the game.
England will select anyone who is playing in the premiership and is qualified and good enough. I've never had a problem with that and never will. What I don't want is the RFU doing what the IRFU are doing and actively seeking players abroad to qualify them to play for England.
What f**king difference does it make? The end result was the same. Our union just has to be more proactive to compete as we have a much smaller pool of players to choose from. No country exists in isolation. Christ your post was just so naive.
I'm not saying your union is doing anything wrong BUT young people playing rugby in Ireland know that your union is actively going to other countries on an ongoing basis looking for the finished article to place in their teams (which you guys delight in telling us are just an extension of your union).
Our union is not doing that. However our clubs independently look around the world for players. The clubs do not want to lose those players to the England national team they just want them for themselves. With the 3 year residency rule a few were likely to become eligible to play for England. Now it's 5 years it will be even fewer. However it's still only right and proper that the RFU only consider qualified players who are signed up with a premiership club for selection. Call it naive if you want but I think we've got the balance right.

As for Ireland having to have EIGHT of their matchday 23 imported for the purpose of playing international rugby that is nonsense. You would be competitive with zero
You aren’t smart or funny enough to troll
mdaclarke
Posts: 4393
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:53 pm

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by mdaclarke »

FWIW I think the new 5 years rule is just about right but I would add a requirement that you become a citizen of the country you wish to represent.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 42415
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Anonymous 1 »

mdaclarke wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 am FWIW I think the new 5 years rule is just about right but I would add a requirement that you become a citizen of the country you wish to represent.
Bit tricky with the Northern Ireland and Southern Ireland situation
User avatar
Lemoentjie
Posts: 3163
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:42 pm

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Lemoentjie »

33% of starting line up aren't Irish. Very sad to see. How do Irish posters feel about this situation?
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63445
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Lemoentjie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 pm 33% of starting line up aren't Irish. Very sad to see. How do Irish posters feel about this situation?
Not happy.

It's one thing having the squad bolstered but this is taking the piss.
User avatar
Lemoentjie
Posts: 3163
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:42 pm

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Lemoentjie »

CM11 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 pm
Lemoentjie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 pm 33% of starting line up aren't Irish. Very sad to see. How do Irish posters feel about this situation?
Not happy.

It's one thing having the squad bolstered but this is taking the piss.
It's weird, it's not even like there is a clear lack of talent in some positions in Ireland in the same way that Scotland has sometimes. Many young Irish players are very good.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 33437
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by eldanielfire »

Lemoentjie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:30 pm
CM11 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 pm
Lemoentjie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 pm 33% of starting line up aren't Irish. Very sad to see. How do Irish posters feel about this situation?
Not happy.

It's one thing having the squad bolstered but this is taking the piss.
It's weird, it's not even like there is a clear lack of talent in some positions in Ireland in the same way that Scotland has sometimes. Many young Irish players are very good.
I think there is a fetishising of Saffer and Pacific Island talent by NH sometimes. That applies to Rugby League as well. A fair few of Eddie's "dubiously English" selections have been players who we don't actually need.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 33437
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by eldanielfire »

mdaclarke wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 am FWIW I think the new 5 years rule is just about right but I would add a requirement that you become a citizen of the country you wish to represent.
Agreed.
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 40155
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Duff Paddy »

CM11 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 pm
Lemoentjie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 pm 33% of starting line up aren't Irish. Very sad to see. How do Irish posters feel about this situation?
Not happy.

It's one thing having the squad bolstered but this is taking the piss.
I’m honestly fine with it. Once the game went pro things changed. These guys have decided to commit to Ireland and I will support them 100%. We don’t produce enough players to be competitive without them. So if everyone else is doing it, and England are amongst the worst from Mike Catt on, then we have to do it too. People just have a more narrow definition of Irishness so they are shocked to see a Bundee Aki in Green but not a Vunipola in White
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63445
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:43 pm
CM11 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 pm
Lemoentjie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 pm 33% of starting line up aren't Irish. Very sad to see. How do Irish posters feel about this situation?
Not happy.

It's one thing having the squad bolstered but this is taking the piss.
I’m honestly fine with it. Once the game went pro things changed. These guys have decided to commit to Ireland and I will support them 100%. We don’t produce enough players to be competitive without them. So if everyone else is doing it, and England are amongst the worst from Mike Catt on, then we have to do it too. People just have a more narrow definition of Irishness so they are shocked to see a Bundee Aki in Green but not a Vunipola in White
I'm not going on strike or anything and Lowe getting a chance on the international stage is a joy to watch, I'd just prefer we didn't have as many in the starting side. It is what it is though and we just have to live with it. All of the players have given plenty to Irish rugby so there is that.
Trostan
Posts: 3327
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Down by the Riverside

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Trostan »

Lemoentjie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 pm 33% of starting line up aren't Irish. Very sad to see. How do Irish posters feel about this situation?
Stander and Roux have been here since 2012. Aki since 2014.
They are entitled to earn an Irish living at the highest level possible.

I don't believe we needed to start JPG; we have good alternatives.

But I don't think there's a team anywhere, except the ABs, who would turn James Lowe away.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 33437
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by eldanielfire »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:43 pm
CM11 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 pm
Lemoentjie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 pm 33% of starting line up aren't Irish. Very sad to see. How do Irish posters feel about this situation?
Not happy.

It's one thing having the squad bolstered but this is taking the piss.
I’m honestly fine with it. Once the game went pro things changed. These guys have decided to commit to Ireland and I will support them 100%. We don’t produce enough players to be competitive without them. So if everyone else is doing it, and England are amongst the worst from Mike Catt on, then we have to do it too. People just have a more narrow definition of Irishness so they are shocked to see a Bundee Aki in Green but not a Vunipola in White
Catt was qualified to play for England from birth and his whole senior career was played in England. He genuinely shouldn't qualify as a poach. Likewise numerous other players on these lists, half of whom grew up in England, were English citizens and developed in the English system.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 33437
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by eldanielfire »

YOYO wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 pm You could swap the Vinipola’s for Lesley Vainikolo, Semesa Rokoduguni or Nathan Hughes. Aren’t the Vinipola’s living in England since their were young lads. Or did the RFU poach them from the Welsh!
Vunipola's went to English schools. Semesa Rokoduguni served in the British army before he even played in an English club he toured Afghanistan. I'm not sure you can say the RFU poached them, it's clubs who bring them over for work. Unlike many the RFU doesn't do project players either.

However Vainikolo was a dirty poach.
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 14074
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by UncleFB »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:47 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:43 pm
CM11 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 pm
Lemoentjie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 pm 33% of starting line up aren't Irish. Very sad to see. How do Irish posters feel about this situation?
Not happy.

It's one thing having the squad bolstered but this is taking the piss.
I’m honestly fine with it. Once the game went pro things changed. These guys have decided to commit to Ireland and I will support them 100%. We don’t produce enough players to be competitive without them. So if everyone else is doing it, and England are amongst the worst from Mike Catt on, then we have to do it too. People just have a more narrow definition of Irishness so they are shocked to see a Bundee Aki in Green but not a Vunipola in White
Catt was qualified to play for England from birth and his whole senior career was played in England. He genuinely shouldn't qualify as a poach. Likewise numerous other players on these lists, half of whom grew up in England, were English citizens and developed in the English system.
Welcome to the world of being a NZ fan for the last 30 years. We've had to put up with even your supposed learned journalists (as well as "fans") calling NZers poaches just because they have lots of vowels in their last name even though they were born and bred in NZ.

Still, to repeat, Manu is an illegal immigrant, did not spend the required standdown period, and is therefore forever a poach. ;)
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 33437
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by eldanielfire »

UncleFB wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:35 am
Welcome to the world of being a NZ fan for the last 30 years. We've had to put up with even your supposed learned journalists (as well as "fans") calling NZers poaches just because they have lots of vowels in their last name even though they were born and bred in NZ.

Still, to repeat, Manu is an illegal immigrant, did not spend the required standdown period, and is therefore forever a poach. ;)
Manu grew up here. The rets is a technicality.#

Also I'd never call our journalists learned. There is also something rather ironical about countries having a go at ENgland and NZ. I posted last year a chart that showed that England and NZ where by far the countries who had the most players poached from them.
User avatar
LandOTurk
Posts: 14525
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by LandOTurk »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:43 pm
CM11 wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:25 pm
Lemoentjie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 pm 33% of starting line up aren't Irish. Very sad to see. How do Irish posters feel about this situation?
Not happy.

It's one thing having the squad bolstered but this is taking the piss.
I’m honestly fine with it. Once the game went pro things changed. These guys have decided to commit to Ireland and I will support them 100%. We don’t produce enough players to be competitive without them. So if everyone else is doing it, and England are amongst the worst from Mike Catt on, then we have to do it too. People just have a more narrow definition of Irishness so they are shocked to see a Bundee Aki in Green but not a Vunipola in White
because the ungrateful twats should have been in red.
User avatar
LandOTurk
Posts: 14525
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by LandOTurk »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:35 am
UncleFB wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:35 am
Welcome to the world of being a NZ fan for the last 30 years. We've had to put up with even your supposed learned journalists (as well as "fans") calling NZers poaches just because they have lots of vowels in their last name even though they were born and bred in NZ.

Still, to repeat, Manu is an illegal immigrant, did not spend the required standdown period, and is therefore forever a poach. ;)
Manu grew up here. The rets is a technicality.#

Also I'd never call our journalists learned. There is also something rather ironical about countries having a go at ENgland and NZ. I posted last year a chart that showed that England and NZ where by far the countries who had the most players poached from them.
I would like to see the English ones.
User avatar
LandOTurk
Posts: 14525
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by LandOTurk »

YOYO wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 pm You could swap the Vinipola’s for Lesley Vainikolo, Semesa Rokoduguni or Nathan Hughes. Aren’t the Vinipola’s living in England since their were young lads. Or did the RFU poach them from the Welsh!
Since their mid teens. Their mother is very religious and got a job with some Methodist church in Bristol and they all moved, with their Welsh accents. I think they were 7-8 years in Wales and a similar time in England. I understand their Dad was pretty loyal to Wales and asked them to reconsider playing for England. Just to mix it up, while both parents are Tongan, Mako was born in NZ, and Billy in Oz.
User avatar
UncleFB
Posts: 14074
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by UncleFB »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:35 am
UncleFB wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:35 am
Welcome to the world of being a NZ fan for the last 30 years. We've had to put up with even your supposed learned journalists (as well as "fans") calling NZers poaches just because they have lots of vowels in their last name even though they were born and bred in NZ.

Still, to repeat, Manu is an illegal immigrant, did not spend the required standdown period, and is therefore forever a poach. ;)
Manu grew up here. The rets is a technicality.#

Also I'd never call our journalists learned. There is also something rather ironical about countries having a go at ENgland and NZ. I posted last year a chart that showed that England and NZ where by far the countries who had the most players poached from them.
TBF, I did say supposed. :D

Manusamoa hadn't even spent half his life overstaying in England before he was selected to play for England so didn't exactly grow up there ... that's the technicality. ;)
User avatar
Cartman
Posts: 7888
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Cartman »

YOYO wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:11 pm “At what point does International Competition loose its essence”..you ask mdaclarke.

May I say, it’s being going on for years. Ireland usually pretty clean in this regard. The few poaches are at later stages of career and will be gone from the team soon enough. The provinces are stacked with up and coming Irish born and bred players. The future us bright.

I could deal with 2 or 3 non Irish born and bred Irish in a 23 man squad but not happy at all with 5 or 6.



England Poaches
Mike Catt
Dylan Hartley
Don Armand
Nathan Hughes
Brad Shields
Ben T‘do
Thomas Waldrom
Lesley Vainikolo
Riki Flutey
Henry Paul
Brad Barritt
Willie Heinz
Matt Stevens
Shontayne Hape
Moritz Botha
Hendre Fourie
Jack Clifford
Stuart Abbott
Geoff Appleford
Michael Horak
Mark Van Gisbergen
Semesa Rokoduguni
Michael Rhodes (trained with England 2018)
Perry Freshwater

One or two of the players above might have had an English grand parent / been qualified at birth but probably wouldn’t have being able to identify England on a map before playing in / for England. Shields & T’eo.

Questionable
Billy Vinipola
Marko Vinipola

Not English born but moved to England before adulthood. Some English qualified by birth. Not poaches.

Joe Cokanasiga
Manu Tuilagi
Marlan Yarde
Kyran Bracken
Marcus Smith
Paul Hill
Simon Shaw
Apart from Barret those Saffer poaches were a waste of time.
Currie Cup level players.
But that's sport right, peaks and troughs
Around 2003 everyone in SA got a Bok jersey
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 33437
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by eldanielfire »

LandOTurk wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:43 am
YOYO wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 pm You could swap the Vinipola’s for Lesley Vainikolo, Semesa Rokoduguni or Nathan Hughes. Aren’t the Vinipola’s living in England since their were young lads. Or did the RFU poach them from the Welsh!
Since their mid teens. Their mother is very religious and got a job with some Methodist church in Bristol and they all moved, with their Welsh accents. I think they were 7-8 years in Wales and a similar time in England. I understand their Dad was pretty loyal to Wales and asked them to reconsider playing for England. Just to mix it up, while both parents are Tongan, Mako was born in NZ, and Billy in Oz.
I heard it was the dad who encouraged them to play for England as they could earn more money. I'm sure that has been mentioned in this forum.
User avatar
eldanielfire
Posts: 33437
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by eldanielfire »

LandOTurk wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:43 am
YOYO wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:47 pm You could swap the Vinipola’s for Lesley Vainikolo, Semesa Rokoduguni or Nathan Hughes. Aren’t the Vinipola’s living in England since their were young lads. Or did the RFU poach them from the Welsh!
Since their mid teens. Their mother is very religious and got a job with some Methodist church in Bristol and they all moved, with their Welsh accents. I think they were 7-8 years in Wales and a similar time in England. I understand their Dad was pretty loyal to Wales and asked them to reconsider playing for England. Just to mix it up, while both parents are Tongan, Mako was born in NZ, and Billy in Oz.
I heard it was the dad who encouraged them to play for England as they could earn more money. I'm sure that has been mentioned in this forum.
User avatar
DragsterDriver
Posts: 26588
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Big Willi Style

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by DragsterDriver »

Trostan wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:29 pm
Lemoentjie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 pm 33% of starting line up aren't Irish. Very sad to see. How do Irish posters feel about this situation?
Stander and Roux have been here since 2012. Aki since 2014.
They are entitled to earn an Irish living at the highest level possible.

I don't believe we needed to start JPG; we have good alternatives.

But I don't think there's a team anywhere, except the ABs, who would turn James Lowe away.
We would turn him away, and he wasn’t a Joy yesterday. Kicks the ball like a 3rd team prop.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 13239
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:23 pm it also has to be said when the kiwis lost to Ireland he kiwis played OK. When they lost to Argentina the kiwis played shite
Thats an amateur and hometown fans assessment of a rugby game, the veiled implication being, "we had an off day but are still the better team, shit happens, no credit to them". Why did they play shite? Probably had something to do with the 15 fired up niggley Argentinians on the other team, right? Anyone can see the Argentinans wanted it more and played with a fire and passion that the ABs could not match.

An individual player or two can have an off day now and then for whatever reasons. When the whole team is made to look like a bunch of amateurs pulled out of the pub thats because the other team is dictating terms and not letting them play their game plan. If the All Blacks played well vs Ireland and Ireland still won that's despite not being able to disrupt the All Blacks not because they were somehow all worse players against Argentina.
User avatar
CM11
Posts: 63445
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by CM11 »

Anon is a well known Irish fan alright.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 42415
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:53 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:23 pm it also has to be said when the kiwis lost to Ireland he kiwis played OK. When they lost to Argentina the kiwis played shite
Thats an amateur and hometown fans assessment of a rugby game, the veiled implication being, "we had an off day but are still the better team, shit happens, no credit to them". Why did they play shite? Probably had something to do with the 15 fired up niggley Argentinians on the other team, right? Anyone can see the Argentinans wanted it more and played with a fire and passion that the ABs could not match.

An individual player or two can have an off day now and then for whatever reasons. When the whole team is made to look like a bunch of amateurs pulled out of the pub thats because the other team is dictating terms and not letting them play their game plan. If the All Blacks played well vs Ireland and Ireland still won that's despite not being able to disrupt the All Blacks not because they were somehow all worse players against Argentina.
Na Argentina were average. The kiwis should have ripped into them like Australia did in the 1st half (what was it 13 missed tackles 30% of the ball and territory), Aussie were just pathetic with their finishing and the lineout in the 22.
User avatar
Mog The Almighty
Posts: 13239
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:33 am
Location: Stockholm

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Mog The Almighty »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:01 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:53 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:23 pm it also has to be said when the kiwis lost to Ireland he kiwis played OK. When they lost to Argentina the kiwis played shite
Thats an amateur and hometown fans assessment of a rugby game, the veiled implication being, "we had an off day but are still the better team, shit happens, no credit to them". Why did they play shite? Probably had something to do with the 15 fired up niggley Argentinians on the other team, right? Anyone can see the Argentinans wanted it more and played with a fire and passion that the ABs could not match.

An individual player or two can have an off day now and then for whatever reasons. When the whole team is made to look like a bunch of amateurs pulled out of the pub thats because the other team is dictating terms and not letting them play their game plan. If the All Blacks played well vs Ireland and Ireland still won that's despite not being able to disrupt the All Blacks not because they were somehow all worse players against Argentina.
Na Argentina were average. The kiwis should have ripped into them like Australia did in the 1st half (what was it 13 missed tackles 30% of the ball and territory), Aussie were just pathetic with their finishing and the lineout in the 22.
:lol: Whatever mate you obviously don't know what you're looking at, so have at it.

I think there was a Sam Cane thread on this phenonmina.
User avatar
terryfinch
Posts: 5608
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by terryfinch »

Trostan wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:29 pm
Lemoentjie wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:22 pm 33% of starting line up aren't Irish. Very sad to see. How do Irish posters feel about this situation?
Stander and Roux have been here since 2012. Aki since 2014.
They are entitled to earn an Irish living at the highest level possible.

I don't believe we needed to start JPG; we have good alternatives.

But I don't think there's a team anywhere, except the ABs, who would turn James Lowe away.
Is that your winger that is carrying excessive timber? He was absolutely shite yesterday!
Couch
Posts: 3644
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Couch »

Jim Lahey wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:29 pm Remember the good old days when England used to play with Shontayne Hape and Riki Flutey in the centres? And Lesley Vainikolo on the wing.

The late 00s were definitely a classic era for English rugby.
You forgot Henry Paul
shereblue
Posts: 5080
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by shereblue »

mdaclarke wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 am .....but I would add a requirement that you become a citizen of the country you wish to represent.
where France leads, MDA Clarke follows :thumbup: .

Vakatawa actually failed his first attempt at becoming a French citizen.
Magpie26
Posts: 2546
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Magpie26 »

shereblue wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:44 am
mdaclarke wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 am .....but I would add a requirement that you become a citizen of the country you wish to represent.
where France leads, MDA Clarke follows :thumbup: .

Vakatawa actually failed his first attempt at becoming a French citizen.
Different countries have different requirements for becoming a citizen so it would hardly be a consistent approach.

How does one become an English citizen by the way?
User avatar
Luciano
Posts: 576
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Luciano »

True Blue wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:09 am With the greatest of respect to Argentina (who I think is an amazing country) you probably aren't getting many people moving there for more pay or work. At least not from other rugby playing countries.
Sickening disrespect for the rugby players that emigrate from Perú, Bolivia, Paraguay, Brazil, Colombia and Venezuela to Argentina :x

http://www.migraciones.gov.ar/pdf/estad ... s_2018.pdf

Even 845 French had permanent or temporal residence in AR in the latest statistics :p
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 42415
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Magpie26 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:20 pm
shereblue wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:44 am
mdaclarke wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 am .....but I would add a requirement that you become a citizen of the country you wish to represent.
where France leads, MDA Clarke follows :thumbup: .

Vakatawa actually failed his first attempt at becoming a French citizen.
Different countries have different requirements for becoming a citizen so it would hardly be a consistent approach.

How does one become an English citizen by the way?
Plus anybody playing for Ulster in the United Kingdom would have to live over the border for 5 years so they could get citizenship of Southern Ireland through naturalization.
Southern Ireland Citizenship through naturalization
Have a period of 365 days* (1 year) continuous reckonable residence in the State immediately before the date of your application for naturalisation and
During the 8 years before that, have had a total reckonable residence in the State of 1,460 days* (4 years)
Gauss
Posts: 692
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:42 pm

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Gauss »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:29 pm
Magpie26 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:20 pm
shereblue wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:44 am
mdaclarke wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 am .....but I would add a requirement that you become a citizen of the country you wish to represent.
where France leads, MDA Clarke follows :thumbup: .

Vakatawa actually failed his first attempt at becoming a French citizen.
Different countries have different requirements for becoming a citizen so it would hardly be a consistent approach.

How does one become an English citizen by the way?
Plus anybody playing for Ulster in the United Kingdom would have to live over the border for 5 years so they could get citizenship of Southern Ireland through naturalization.
Southern Ireland Citizenship through naturalization
Have a period of 365 days* (1 year) continuous reckonable residence in the State immediately before the date of your application for naturalisation and
During the 8 years before that, have had a total reckonable residence in the State of 1,460 days* (4 years)
Aw yikes :lol:
User avatar
message #2527204
Posts: 14242
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Ultracrepidaria

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by message #2527204 »

Magpie26 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:20 pm
shereblue wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:44 am
mdaclarke wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 am .....but I would add a requirement that you become a citizen of the country you wish to represent.
where France leads, MDA Clarke follows :thumbup: .

Vakatawa actually failed his first attempt at becoming a French citizen.
Different countries have different requirements for becoming a citizen so it would hardly be a consistent approach.

How does one become an English citizen by the way?
Jump in a dinghy in France, throw your passport away, claim asylum when you wash up on the coast.
User avatar
handyman
Posts: 14192
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by handyman »

mdaclarke wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:06 pm https://extra.ie/2020/11/19/sport/rugby ... rish-rugby

https://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/ ... 68108.html

At what point does International Competition loose its essence.

I wonder if CJ Stander or James Lowe or any of the other residency qualified players grow up dreaming of wearing Irish Green.

Compare with the passion of Argentina

https://rugbyonslaught.com/theyre-kicki ... ock-upset/

You can tell he grew up dreaming of playing for the Pumas.
Which team do you support and where do you live?
Magpie26
Posts: 2546
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Switzerland

Re: Are Ireland a symbol of all that's wrong with International Rugby

Post by Magpie26 »

message #2527204 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:50 pm
Magpie26 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:20 pm
shereblue wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:44 am
mdaclarke wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:38 am .....but I would add a requirement that you become a citizen of the country you wish to represent.
where France leads, MDA Clarke follows :thumbup: .

Vakatawa actually failed his first attempt at becoming a French citizen.
Different countries have different requirements for becoming a citizen so it would hardly be a consistent approach.

How does one become an English citizen by the way?
Jump in a dinghy in France, throw your passport away, claim asylum when you wash up on the coast.
One option I guess :P
Still probably gives you British citizenship rather than English though...
Post Reply