Pablo’s tweets

All things Rugby
Ulsters Red Hand

Re: Pablo’s tweets

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

If he has apologised then what’s the issue?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:43 pm If he has apologised then what’s the issue?
There's no issue. He's a racist shit-stain and now the entire world knows it.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Sorry for the tweets, I am no longer a racist or Sorry that I am a racist, I can't help it, you'll have to live with it?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:46 pm
Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:43 pm If he has apologised then what’s the issue?
Yes, because people are inflexible and can't at all change from the person they were as a youth when they become a more mature adult. That ahs obviously never happened :roll:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:01 pm
Yes, because people are inflexible and can't at all change from the person they were as a youth when they become a more mature adult. That ahs obviously never happened :roll:
I have no idea if he has changed. He was twenty when he made the most recent racist tweet. In my experience racist shit-stains 20 year olds rarely morph into awesome people. He was a pro Rugby player when he was making racist tweets, in many industries you'd lose your job for such tweets, not get stood down for a week.
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

You’re interacting with the very thing you just described, no wonder he sees things the way he does. :lol:
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:06 pm
I have no idea if he has changed. He was twenty when he made the most recent racist tweet. In my experience racist shit-stains 20 year olds rarely morph into awesome people. He was a pro Rugby player when he was making racist tweets, in many industries you'd lose your job for such tweets, not get stood down for a week.
The liberal’s conservative shadow.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Rarely, but you are thus agreeing that some do and are basing your current judgement not on his behaviour now, but on your own sweeping generalizations. You know, just like racists do in their own way.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

It's interesting to see all these middle class, white posters rushing to defend Pablo Matera, and angrily demanding that 20 year old professional athletes should not be held accountable for racist and xenophobic remarks they make on social media.
grimoald

Post by grimoald »

TQoET wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:13 am
RuggaBugga wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:06 am
Jeff the Bear wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:22 am How old are the tweets? Has he given the 'I was young and stupid' excuse yet?
Dunno, is that not a valid excuse for saying dumb shit in your world?
That’s a lousy excuse. 18 / 19 is old enough to know better. If you’re a racist at 18, you probably still are 10 years later.
I think this depends a bit. If you're a racist in a multicultural society I expect you will be 10 years later. If you're racist in a monoculture where you've had very little personal or societal exposure to other ethnicities/races then there would be a huge amount of space for people to grow/develop.

I'll always remember watching an episode of America's Game about one of the Dallas Cowboys teams in the early 70s, where one of the white southern players basically said until he joined the team after college he'd never really spoken to a black person, and had hugely negative view of black people. Then that all changed as he got to know his teammates and understand they were the same as him.

On one hand that is a bit 'I can't be sexist as I have a daughter', but it does speak to the impact of societal conditioning, and that it is something that can be changed.
Ulsters Red Hand

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:11 pm
Rarely, but you are thus agreeing that some do and are basing your current judgement not on his behaviour now, but on your own sweeping generalizations. You know, just like racists do in their own way.
This man has it right
Ulsters Red Hand

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:12 pm It's interesting to see all these middle class, white posters rushing to defend Pablo Matera, and angrily demanding that 20 year old professional athletes should not be held accountable for racist and xenophobic remarks they make on social media.
You’re the only angry one here mate
pigaaaa

Post by pigaaaa »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:22 am How old are the tweets? Has he given the 'I was young and stupid' excuse yet?
That’s a lousy excuse. 18 / 19 is old enough to know better. If you’re a racist at 18, you probably still are 10 years later.
Not sure thats true. I was born and raised in a small polish town. At 18 I was a racist and a homophobe. :blush: Then I moved out to uni to a big city and saw how stupid I was and changed my ways.

I will be eternally grateful there was no twitter back in the day.
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:12 pm It's interesting to see all these middle class, white posters rushing to defend Pablo Matera, and angrily demanding that 20 year old professional athletes should not be held accountable for racist and xenophobic remarks they make on social media.
Na, that’s not what’s happening, just some folk who don’t think someone’s career should be thrown in the trash can for a shitty comment made almost 10 years earlier in their youth.

Also, Ngati Awa :lol: :lol:
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Who's defending him? It's more a case of has he changed? I grew up in rural racist West Wales, but i hope that I have shaken off those traits. My friends that never left largely haven't.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Harveys wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:28 pm
Na, that’s not what’s happening, just some folk who don’t think someone’s career should be thrown in the trash can for a shitty comment made almost 10 years earlier in their youth.
Firstly, no-one is saying his career should be thrown in the trash.

Secondly, his most recent racist comments were made 7 years ago, not "almost 10".

Lastly, he wasn't a "youth" when he made that comment, he was a 20 year old professional Rugby player.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Gwenno wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:32 pm
Who's defending him? It's more a case of has he changed? I grew up in rural racist West Wales, but i hope that I have shaken off those traits. My friends that never left largely haven't.
I'm not sure what your racist mates in Wales have to do with 20 year old pro Rugby players being accountable for what they post on social media?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

No one said he shouldn't be held accountable, they just said that doesn't mean he thinks the same way now as your argument is making out.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:35 pm

Secondly, his most recent racist comments were made 7 years ago, not "almost 10".

Lastly, he wasn't a "youth" when he made that comment, he was a 20 year old professional Rugby player.
Many people, most countries and the UN disagree with you Ali

Who Are the Youth?
There is no universally agreed international definition of the youth age group. For statistical purposes, however, the United Nations—without prejudice to any other definitions made by Member States—defines ‘youth’ as those persons between the ages of 15 and 24 years. This definition, which arose in the context of preparations for the International Youth Year (1985) (see A/36/215), was endorsed by the General Assembly in its resolution 36/28 of 1981. All UN statistics on youth are based on this definition, as is reflected in the annual yearbooks of statistics published by the UN system on demography, education, employment and health.

https://www.un.org/en/sections/issues-d ... 24%20years.
New Zealand and Australia also define 20 as a youth:

New Zealand’s national youth development strategy defines young people as between the ages of 12-24 years.

The 2010 National Strategy for Young Australians defines youth in general as 12-24 years of age. Youth is also split into categories for certain measurements. For example, youth economic productivity is measured in two age groups: 15-19 and 20-24.

https://www.youthpolicy.org/factsheets/ ... 24%20years.
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:35 pm

Firstly...

Indirectly it has been implied.
Secondly...

On a scale of 0 being today and 10 years ago 7 is a shit ton closer to “almost 10 years” than current behaviour.
Had there been continuous comments through the years I wouldn’t be so generous.

Lastly...

Being a twenty year old professional rugby player is in no way a reliable measuring stick for adult maturity.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:39 pm
Gwenno wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:32 pm
I'm not sure what your racist mates in Wales have to do with 20 year old pro Rugby players being accountable for what they post on social media?
I'm certain they have nothing to do with it. I was using my own experience as an illustration of how people can change, sometimes through broadened horizons. Pablo has been punished.
handyman

Post by handyman »

He is going to kak when he plays against South Africa again.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:18 am #boycottgwenno trending on twitter atm.
Gwenno is Jim Davidson and I claim my fiver
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Winnie wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:25 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:18 am #boycottgwenno trending on twitter atm.
Gwenno is Jim Davidson and I claim my fiver
:lol:
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Harveys wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:34 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:59 am The Pumas players have long been excused and protected by Rugby fans and the media. They are a dirty team who goad opposing players with foul play and milk penalties with simulation, but for some reason their behaviour is always passed off and excused as being 'Latin' and 'passionate'. Matera's comments are disgraceful and he will forever be known as a racist. A pathetic racist. He is his nation's captain ffs, Argentines should expect much more from their test leader. He's a grub of a player and now he'll permanently be known as a grub of a human being.
:lol:

Classic AC hyperbolic trolling.
Were they racist tweets, sure looks like they were. They also look to be 8-9 years old, now that’s not to excuse him entirely, however is it not more reasonable to judge him on current behaviour rather than condemn him now for shitty behaviour nearly a decade old?
Stand him down for a few games and let him issue an apology and let the twitter storm blow through.
I’m sure glad my youthful stupidity wasn’t documented on social media.
Reasonable, yes. But it doesn;t work that way any more.

And looking at those tweets it's difficult to see how it can be blamed on youthful stupidity
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:59 am The Pumas players have long been excused and protected by Rugby fans and the media. They are a dirty team who goad opposing players with foul play and milk penalties with simulation, but for some reason their behaviour is always passed off and excused as being 'Latin' and 'passionate'.
There's a lot of truth in this.
badmannotinjapan

Post by badmannotinjapan »

Masterji wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:32 am Too much is made of tweets when people are young. Young people say and do stupid things.
100%
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

unions should be educating the youngsters on what is expected from them on and off the pitch
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

I strongly disagree. 18 years old, first time out of his (almost entirely white) country. Now he plays in France, undoubtedly with black players.

Upbringing and society completely control the young person's mind. Ask the older south africans here
Last edited by Lemoentjie on Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luciano

Post by Luciano »

handyman wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:22 pm He is going to kak when he plays against South Africa again.
Seems that his stupid post was aimed to immigration to Argentina, not South Africa. He is cheering that he is leaving Argentina.
Also, the racist word that he used it is not normally used in a derogatory way towards African people, but to certain neighboring countries of Argentina. Yes, I know, it is confusing, but I wanted to give some local context.
Anyway, complete nasty things to say, and appropriate sanctions have to be applied. There is no place in the sport for any adult, or youth, that behaves like that. :((
Newsome

Post by Newsome »

badmannotinjapan wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:38 pm
Masterji wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:32 am Too much is made of tweets when people are young. Young people say and do stupid things.
100%
I can still remember the first time my sister said "f uck" in front of my parents, who are incredibly religious and conservative. That was awkward as hell!

There was that other time my teenage brother said he wanted to run over black people with his car.

God it was hilarious seeing them mess up like that.

But they were young. So, it's ok.
Lemoentjie

Post by Lemoentjie »

That's true, Luciano. It looks as if he is referring to Argentina being the country full of blacks
message #2527204

‘Today I have to take [responsibility] for what I said nine years ago. I am very ashamed,’ Matera said.

‘Apologies to all those who were offended by the atrocities I wrote. At that moment I did not imagine who I was going to become.

‘I’m also sorry to my team and my family for the moment they are going through … and thanks to the people who love me for their support.’
francisco

Post by francisco »

Jensrsa wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:51 am
Matera has taken the tweets down, but according to leading Argentina newspaper La Nación, one relates to a previous tour of South Africa.

According to the newspaper, the tweet read: ‘SUDAFRICA BABY! Por fin me voy de este país Ileno de negros. OUCH!’

This translates into: ‘South Africa baby! I’m finally leaving this country full of blacks. Ouch!’

This could be related to when Matera was part of the Pampas XV squad that participated in the Vodacom Cup between 2010 and 2013, while he was also involved in the Argentina U20 side that played in South Africa in 2012.

Another translation of a racist tweet from 2012 is believed to have read: ‘Nice morning to go out in the car to tread over blacks’, while he made xenophobic comments about Bolivians and Paraguayans.
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/matera-twitter/
He said "finally leaving". If you read his whole tweets, he was in a rant against local black (brown) people, he was not speaking about South Africa. He is speaking about Argentina, while departing to SA on tour.

Anyway, I think that he should not be the national captain anymore.
message #2527204

francisco wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:26 pm
Matera has taken the tweets down, but according to leading Argentina newspaper La Nación, one relates to a previous tour of South Africa.

According to the newspaper, the tweet read: ‘SUDAFRICA BABY! Por fin me voy de este país Ileno de negros. OUCH!’

This translates into: ‘South Africa baby! I’m finally leaving this country full of blacks. Ouch!’

This could be related to when Matera was part of the Pampas XV squad that participated in the Vodacom Cup between 2010 and 2013, while he was also involved in the Argentina U20 side that played in South Africa in 2012.

Another translation of a racist tweet from 2012 is believed to have read: ‘Nice morning to go out in the car to tread over blacks’, while he made xenophobic comments about Bolivians and Paraguayans.
He said "finally leaving". If you read his whole tweets, he was in a rant against local black (brown) people, he was not speaking about South Africa. He is speaking about Argentina, while departing to SA on tour.

I don;t thnk he'll be playing for argnetina any more... nor the other two.
‘Although the messages were expressed between 2011 and 2013 and do not represent the integrity as people that the three showed during this time in Los Pumas, the Argentine Rugby Union condemn any expression of hatred and we consider it unacceptable that those who express them represent our country,’
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

message #2527204 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:30 pm
francisco wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:26 pm

I don;t thnk he'll be playing for argnetina any more... nor the other two.
‘Although the messages were expressed between 2011 and 2013 and do not represent the integrity as people that the three showed during this time in Los Pumas, the Argentine Rugby Union condemn any expression of hatred and we consider it unacceptable that those who express them represent our country,’
Which will be shame as he is an outstanding player
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

FFS.

We are all human beings and everybody makes mistakes.
Let him apologise and then everybody just delete/ban fûcking twitter and all the woke twats that are on it.

Then everybody just shut the fûck up.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

18 or 19 was he? What a great time to be alive.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

18 or 19 years old.

https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclop ... entID=3051

“ Understanding the Teen Brain

It doesn’t matter how smart teens are or how well they scored on the SAT or ACT. Good judgment isn’t something they can excel in, at least not yet.

The rational part of a teen’s brain isn’t fully developed and won’t be until age 25 or so.

In fact, recent research has found that adult and teen brains work differently. Adults think with the prefrontal cortex, the brain’s rational part. This is the part of the brain that responds to situations with good judgment and an awareness of long-term consequences. Teens process information with the amygdala. This is the emotional part.

In teen’s brains, the connections between the emotional part of the brain and the decision-making center are still developing—and not always at the same rate. That’s why when teens have overwhelming emotional input, they can’t explain later what they were thinking. They weren’t thinking as much as they were feeling.”
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

message #2527204 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:30 pm I don;t thnk he'll be playing for argnetina any more... nor the other two.
We'll see about that...