Pablo’s tweets

All things Rugby
Bindi

Pablo’s tweets

Post by Bindi »

Probably red rebel, but it seems Pablo Matera is quite the racist. Understandably sacked from the Argie captaincy.
Thomas

Re: Pablo’s tweets

Post by Thomas »

Haven't we all, at some time, posted nasty racist things on social media though...
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Everyone loved his “I play for my country” crap against NZ, but wised up to the hypocrite after he pulled the useless Wallaby hookers hair the very next game.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Matera has taken the tweets down, but according to leading Argentina newspaper La Nación, one relates to a previous tour of South Africa.

According to the newspaper, the tweet read: ‘SUDAFRICA BABY! Por fin me voy de este país Ileno de negros. OUCH!’

This translates into: ‘South Africa baby! I’m finally leaving this country full of blacks. Ouch!’

This could be related to when Matera was part of the Pampas XV squad that participated in the Vodacom Cup between 2010 and 2013, while he was also involved in the Argentina U20 side that played in South Africa in 2012.

Another translation of a racist tweet from 2012 is believed to have read: ‘Nice morning to go out in the car to tread over blacks’, while he made xenophobic comments about Bolivians and Paraguayans.
https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/matera-twitter/
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I see there were also comments about maids- are they Argentinian posh boys?
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

mr bungle wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:36 am Everyone loved his “I play for my country” crap against NZ, but wised up to the hypocrite after he pulled the useless Wallaby hookers hair the very next game.
Umm how does that make him a hypocrite?

Seems like he's just a patriot and a bit of a prick.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:10 am I see there were also comments about maids- are they Argentinian posh boys?
Probably just Argentinians.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

How old are the tweets? Has he given the 'I was young and stupid' excuse yet?
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Similarly to the Cavini case, negro or negrito is as a synonym for “mate” or “buddy” in South American countries. I have plenty of mates over there that would call each other that regularly. Depends on the context of the conversation.

He should be given the opportunity to provide that context (if there was any or maybe he is just a big massive racist) before he is crucified by social media. He won’t be afforded that of course.
Last edited by Jim Lahey on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:22 am How old are the tweets? Has he given the 'I was young and stupid' excuse yet?
The ones I saw were from 2011 and 2012. He would have been 18-19.

You gotta love these people that apparently spend all day looking for juicy decade old tweets. The real heroes. :thumbup:
Wendigo7

Post by Wendigo7 »

2011 tweets.

Pathetic. The world needs a hard, hard look at itself.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:11 am
mr bungle wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:36 am Everyone loved his “I play for my country” crap against NZ, but wised up to the hypocrite after he pulled the useless Wallaby hookers hair the very next game.

He took the high ground responding to opposition fisticuffs. But he’s just a lowly hair puller.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Wendigo7 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:36 am 2011 tweets.

Pathetic. The world needs a hard, hard look at itself.
Was mentioned somewhere else that some Maradona fans weren't happy with lack of acknowledgement of his death so went trawling
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:30 am Similarly to the Cavini case, negro or negrito is as a synonym for “mate” or “buddy” in South American countries. I have plenty of mates over there that would call each other that regularly. Depends on the context of the conversation.

He should be given the opportunity to provide that context (if there was any or maybe he is just a big massive racist) before he is crucified by social media. He won’t be afforded that of course.
You haven’t read them?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:35 am
Jeff the Bear wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:22 am How old are the tweets? Has he given the 'I was young and stupid' excuse yet?
The ones I saw were from 2011 and 2012. He would have been 18-19.

You gotta love these people that apparently spend all day looking for juicy decade old tweets. The real heroes. :thumbup:
It's because they didn't do anything for maradona, and were slammed by the Argie twirrerati.

In many ways, the All Blacks caused this.
Luciano

Post by Luciano »

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:30 am Similarly to the Cavini case, negro or negrito is as a synonym for “mate” or “buddy” in South American countries. I have plenty of mates over there that would call each other that regularly. Depends on the context of the conversation.

You are correct, in the sense that sometimes the word is used in Argentina in an amicable or even tender way. However, having read the tweets, sadly it is not the case.

So, in consequence Matera was stripped of the captaincy, and the 3 players suspended until there is a final decision. Some are calling them to be banned from the national team. Coverage:(Spanish) https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/ru ... nid2525864

The players have apologized, stated that they don't think like that anymore and erased the posts, https://www.lanacion.com.ar/deportes/ru ... nid2525969 .
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 am

You haven’t read them?
I’ve read the spanish version of the tweet about SA and think he should explain the context. He is either being racist or he is saying the South Africans are a great bunch of lads/tough rugby players. Framed in its current context by bloodthirsty woke journos it looks like the former but the man deserves a chance to explain himself. I don’t know why he’d be saying South Africa Baby (ala Vegas baby) then going on to be racist about the whole country.
I’ve seen the English translation of the other one posted above which doesn’t have the original text therefore he’s been hung drawn and quartered before anyone has had a chance to take a proper view on it.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:52 am
DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 am

You haven’t read them?
I’ve read the spanish version of the tweet about SA and think he should explain the context. He is either being racist or he is saying the South Africans are a great bunch of lads/tough rugby players. Framed in its current context by bloodthirsty woke journos it looks like the former but the man deserves a chance to explain himself. I don’t know why he’d be saying South Africa Baby (ala Vegas baby) then going on to be racist about the whole country.
I’ve seen the English translation of the other one posted above which doesn’t have the original text therefore he’s been hung drawn and quartered before anyone has had a chance to take a proper view on it.
You are far too calm and logical to post on Planet Hysteria
The proper reaction is to want him burnt at the stake
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

The translation I read:

“Nice morning to go out in the car and run over black people.”

Doesn’t seem ambiguous?
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

I think resigning as quick as he did indicates it was dodge. Negro isn't as Jim notes but the other words seem to be.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Eh? You're wrong or mistaken. His tweets I read clearly make him an unquestioned racist. Not in the "our word is misunderstood/cultural differences" debatable way. He literally said he was glad to out of a country full of blacks. There's no way to take justify that unless the translations I saw are inaccurate.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:43 am The translation I read:

“Nice morning to go out in the car and run over black people.”

Doesn’t seem ambiguous?
It doesn't at all. It's pretty bloody nasty. About as directly racist as you get. I don't think a translation can "correct" that in anyway.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

mr bungle wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:43 am

He took the high ground responding to opposition fisticuffs. But he’s just a lowly hair puller.
Ah I see. Thought the quote had something to do with the victory over the ABs.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:50 am

Eh? You're wrong or mistaken. His tweets I read clearly make him an unquestioned racist. Not in the "our word is misunderstood/cultural differences" debatable way. He literally said he was glad to out of a country full of blacks. There's no way to take justify that unless the translations I saw are inaccurate.
I was just talking about the things Mr B referenced.

Re the tweets though, yeah they're racist. I have no doubt about it, never believed it was a misunderstanding or whatever. But I'm more inclined to think it's just the sort of shit teenage edgelords put out there because they think it's funny to be transgressive, rather than indicative of some sort of actual hatred. It's not like he's sharing racial IQ charts or Richard Spenser tweets. Apologize, sit the next game out, do an anti racism PSA with a black guy, move on.
Masterji

Post by Masterji »

Too much is made of tweets when people are young. Young people say and do stupid things.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:19 am
eldanielfire wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:50 am

I was just talking about the things Mr B referenced.
Fair enough, I enter after the tweets had become a thing and I obviously conflated the comments.

Re the tweets though, yeah they're racist. I have no doubt about it, never believed it was a misunderstanding or whatever. But I'm more inclined to think it's just the sort of shit teenage edgelords put out there because they think it's funny to be transgressive, rather than indicative of some sort of actual hatred. It's not like he's sharing racial IQ charts or Richard Spenser tweets. Apologize, sit the next game out, do an anti racism PSA with a black guy, move on.
It could be edge lord stuff, but it's pretty vicious and racist edgelord stuff and the context isn't there to suggest it's a joke. It's pretty direct.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Perhaps it would be wise to ask him to provide said context before painting him as a racist then?

I’m not arguing that he is or he isn’t, but assuming he is or he isn’t without understanding the context is pretty f**king stupid given people are translating a different language in a literal sense when that doesn’t usually work in practical terms.

Edit. I see he has come out and said he is ashamed of his tweets. As you were then, string him up!
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Dunno, is that not a valid excuse for saying dumb shit in your world?
TQoET

Post by TQoET »

RuggaBugga wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:06 am
That’s a lousy excuse. 18 / 19 is old enough to know better. If you’re a racist at 18, you probably still are 10 years later.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

RuggaBugga wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:06 am
Oh it very much is, I was just wondering if that is what he was going to go with. I tend to agree with the sentiment uttered above that it's just as likely that he was a teenage idiot looking for attention.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

I freely admit to telling racist jokes in my teens in the 70s. I am ashamed about it now, and no record exists of them, but I would be a hypocrite to deny it. The large number of multiethnic friends I have made in my medical career as well as in general life must be aware that most people my age went through this in the 70s, and I assume are OK about it because I don't behave that way now. It seems that the existence of evidence which can be repeatedly regurgitated makes this whole thing more acute and intense.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

#boycottgwenno trending on twitter atm.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

very strange this.

It is a stretch not to read racism into these remarks.

Matera campaigned for the Pampas XV during 2012 - 2013

From Wiki:
Pampas XV
Pampas XV was an Argentine rugby union team that was based in South Africa when they participated in the South African second domestic competition, the Vodacom Cup between 2010 and 2013.[1] The team was established in 2010 and was composed almost entirely by members of the High Performance Plan of the UAR. It was an unofficial third national team, below the Senior squad (Los Pumas) and Argentina XV,[2] although it has been described as the second team as well.[3]
During their short existence, Pampas XV won one Vodacom Cup and two Pacific Rugby Cup titles.

History[edit]
The team played in the Southern Section of the Vodacom Cup. In 2010, these teams had to play against other teams in the Southern Section, so the Pampas XV were based in the Stellenbosch area. Their first season was average though, winning 3 matches and losing as many whilst drawing one match. They finished fifth in their conference and failed to qualify for the knockout rounds. However, in 2011 all the teams in the Southern Section had to play against teams in the Northern Section, so they relocated to Olën Park, Potchefstroom.
The first title for Pampas XV came in 2011 when the team won the Vodacom Cup beating Blue Bulls at the final. The squad also went through the season undefeated, passing 40 points in 5 of their 11 matches. Juan Imhoff finished the season as the tournament's top try scorer. That achievement was also the first title won by an Argentine team in a professional competition.[4]
During the 2012 and 2013 competitions, the Pampas XV played at the A.F. Markötter Stadium at Paul Roos Gymnasium in Stellenbosch.
Here we essentially gave them an opportunity to blood young players and campaign as a team where there was no alternative competition available. On top of all that they were based and accommodated at Stellenbosch - SA rugby's spiritual home - with a fantastic facilities and access to the University's sport science facilities which are top notch. Forget that it is a university town with all the fun and games that happens there. I can guarantee you they were feted there.

Then Matera was part of the Argentine 2012 IRB Junior world cup squad hosted in SA - where they did very well only to be crunched by the Baby Boks in the semi [Score: 35 - 3]

I would expect a "cheers and thanks for the time" to be the right reaction from the man.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

Never trust a man with eyes that close together.
PourSomeRuggerOnMe

Post by PourSomeRuggerOnMe »

eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Monk Zombie wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:34 am very strange this.

It is a stretch not to read racism into these remarks.
Indeed. I'm not sure why he's being defended here. There are pretty straight forward racism. Even if it's edgelord stuff, it's still racist. And I'm one who genuinely debates against the thought police types who sees racism in basically anything they dislike (Politics, Immigration, cultural differences, brexit, discussion of racial trends etc). But these comments are pretty straight forward racism unless some quite game changing revelation of the context or situation is revealed it is a fair call to say they are racist tweets.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The Pumas players have long been excused and protected by Rugby fans and the media. They are a dirty team who goad opposing players with foul play and milk penalties with simulation, but for some reason their behaviour is always passed off and excused as being 'Latin' and 'passionate'. Matera's comments are disgraceful and he will forever be known as a racist. A pathetic racist. He is his nation's captain ffs, Argentines should expect much more from their test leader. He's a grub of a player and now he'll permanently be known as a grub of a human being.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:59 am The Pumas players have long been excused and protected by Rugby fans and the media. They are a dirty team who goad opposing players with foul play and milk penalties with simulation, but for some reason their behaviour is always passed off and excused as being 'Latin' and 'passionate'.
this of course is also a strange comment
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:59 am The Pumas players have long been excused and protected by Rugby fans and the media. They are a dirty team who goad opposing players with foul play and milk penalties with simulation, but for some reason their behaviour is always passed off and excused as being 'Latin' and 'passionate'. Matera's comments are disgraceful and he will forever be known as a racist. A pathetic racist. He is his nation's captain ffs, Argentines should expect much more from their test leader. He's a grub of a player and now he'll permanently be known as a grub of a human being.
:lol:

Classic AC hyperbolic trolling.
Were they racist tweets, sure looks like they were. They also look to be 8-9 years old, now that’s not to excuse him entirely, however is it not more reasonable to judge him on current behaviour rather than condemn him now for shitty behaviour nearly a decade old?
Stand him down for a few games and let him issue an apology and let the twitter storm blow through.
I’m sure glad my youthful stupidity wasn’t documented on social media.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Harveys wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:34 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:59 am The Pumas players have long been excused and protected by Rugby fans and the media. They are a dirty team who goad opposing players with foul play and milk penalties with simulation, but for some reason their behaviour is always passed off and excused as being 'Latin' and 'passionate'. Matera's comments are disgraceful and he will forever be known as a racist. A pathetic racist. He is his nation's captain ffs, Argentines should expect much more from their test leader. He's a grub of a player and now he'll permanently be known as a grub of a human being.
:lol:

Classic AC hyperbolic trolling.
Were they racist tweets, sure looks like they were. They also look to be 8-9 years old, now that’s not to excuse him entirely, however is it not more reasonable to judge him on current behaviour rather than condemn him now for shitty behaviour nearly a decade old?
Stand him down for a few games and let him issue an apology and let the twitter storm blow through.
I’m sure glad my youthful stupidity wasn’t documented on social media.
Another honest person.