Australia poking the Chinese bear

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

Australia poking the Chinese bear

Post by Ali's Choice »

China is Australia's largest and most important trading partner. Yet the relationship between the two nations is at its lowest point in decades.

It all started months ago when Australia, after being encouraged by the Trump administration, attempted to lead a global push to allow independent inspectors into China to study the origins of COVID-19. The Morrison government was emboldened by the USA to repeatedly and gleefully humiliate China on the international stage. Of course no inspections ever eventuated.

Since then China has slapped bans on a number of key imports from Australia, including coal, barley, wheat and more recently wine. At this moment $700 million worth of Australian coal sits idle on freight ships off the Chinese coast, unable to be delivered to port. Ironically, these products will now be largely imported into China from the USA, the nation whose bidding Australia was doing in the first place. Australia has taken concerns to the WTO, an organisation that has ironically been delegitimised and weakened by the Trump administration.

This week a Chinese official has re-tweeted a doctored image of an Australia soldier executing an Afghani child. This is in response to recent allegations of Australian troops murdering and torturing civilians and prisoners in the Afghan war for pleasure. The Australian PM and his ministers were suitably annoyed at this tweet.

What started as Australia throwing its political weight around to curry favour with Donald Trump, is now a fully blown political crisis. And it appears that the real losers will be Australian exporters. Has Australia bitten off more than it can chew?
Ali's Choice

Re: Australia poking the Chinese bear

Post by Ali's Choice »

Chinese embassy accuses Australia of 'rage and roar' over tweet
By Eryk Bagshaw and Anthony Galloway
December 1, 2020 — 5.38pm

China's embassy has reignited its dispute with Australia hours after Prime Minister Scott Morrison called for calm, accusing the Australian government of stoking nationalism through its attacks on China's foreign ministry.

In another breach of diplomatic protocol, the Chinese embassy on Tuesday revealed details of a private call between Department of Foreign Affairs secretary Frances Adamson and Ambassador Cheng Jingye.

The embassy said Australia's top diplomat had made "absolutely unacceptable" allegations over a tweet issued by Beijing's Foreign Affairs spokesman Zhao Lijian, which used a fabricated image to accuse Australian soldiers of murdering Afghan children.

The Australian government on Tuesday escalated its concerns over the tweet to Twitter's San Francisco headquarters, after the company's local office ignored its pleas to take the image down.

"We would like to further stress the following: the rage and roar of some Australian politicians and media is nothing but misreading of and overreaction to Mr Zhao's tweet," an embassy spokesman said.

"The accusations made are simply to serve two purposes. One is to deflect public attention from the horrible atrocities by certain Australian soldiers. The other is to blame China for the worsening of bilateral ties. There may be another attempt to stoke domestic nationalism."

Diplomats from the Australian embassy in Beijing on Tuesday afternoon met with officials from China's Foreign Affairs Ministry to discuss their concerns about the post.

The Australian-government initiated Brereton inquiry released in November found up to 39 Afghans had been murdered by Australian soldiers. In response to the report, Prime Minister Scott Morrison has appointed a Special Investigator to refer briefs to the Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecutions.

The Chinese Communist Party has been criticised by dozens of countries for its record on human rights in Xinjiang, Tibet and Hong Kong, where it has imposed re-education programs, covered up forced labour camps, disappeared political opponents and imprisoned dissidents.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Monday labelled the image in the tweet "repugnant" and demanded China issue an apology, but he has now called for calm among Coalition MPs, telling the party room on Tuesday the issue needed no further amplification.

But tensions are set to rise further in the coming days as the Morrison government and Labor finalise an agreement on new laws giving it the power to scrap agreements struck by states, local councils and universities with foreign governments.

Tensions are rising after a senior Chinese official posted a fake and violent image on Twitter of an Australian soldier appearing to slit the throat of a child while kneeling on the Australian flag. Prime Minister Scott Morrison has demanded Ch...

The laws, which will pass before the end of the week, will likely allow the federal government to tear up Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews' Belt and Road agreement with the Chinese government.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern on Tuesday said she had raised concerns with Chinese authorities about Beijing's use of the fabricated image as international pressure mounts on China's Foreign Ministry.

"In this case an image has been used that is not factually correct, that is not a genuine image. So we have raised that directly with Chinese authorities."

The intervention from Ardern is a sign of a broader international response to China's increasingly assertive diplomacy. New Zealand has been careful to maintain its economic relationship with its largest trading partner and has largely avoided making separate statements on China's conduct to date.

The French Foreign Ministry said it did not "consider the tweet in question to be worthy of the methods one would expect from the diplomacy of a country like China".

The image purports to show an Australian special forces soldier slitting the throat of a small Afghan child wrapped in an Australian flag.

Veterans Affairs Minister Darren Chester criticised Twitter on Tuesday for failing to take down "offensive, fake" post.

The Australian government has been frustrated by its negotiations with Twitter over the past 48-hours.

The government brought in Australian eSafety commissioner Julie Inman Grant to negotiate the image's removal but discussions between Canberra and its local arm went nowhere before it was escalated to San Francisco.

A Twitter spokeswoman confirmed on Tuesday the company had rebuffed the government's demands because foreign policy comments by political leaders were generally not in violation of the Twitter rules

"The image contained within the tweet in question has been marked as sensitive media," she said.

China has been ramping up its criticism of Australia's human rights record as it simultaneously hits half-a-dozen Australian industries with trade strikes covering up to $20 billion in exports, blocking coal, seafood, wine, barley and cotton shipments. The embassy in November warned unless Australia changed its foreign policy positions on Huawei, foreign interference and a dozen other issues it would continue to face trade threats.

The Morrison Government looks set to call in the world trade umpire as China extends its war on Australian imports.

"We have got to recognise what is going at the moment is a pressure play. It is about bullying and intimidation," he told a McGrathNicol event.

"Indignation from the Chinese Communist Party is thoroughly instrumental and the purpose is compliance."

The Chinese embassy said it was up to Australia to solve the diplomatic impasse that has severed ministerial between the trading partners.

"We also urge the Australian side face up to the crux of the current setback of bilateral relationship and take constructive practical steps to help bring it back to the right track," the spokesman said.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

I think the Chinese are trolling.

Mind you it's not hard to get a moron like Morrison all whipped up and angry.

The image is obviously fake and what's more I don't think it's even intended to be real. So it's pretty stupid to keep calling it a "doctored" picture like they are in the media. It seems to me to be a purposefully staged photograph that is designed to make a statement about dubious actions by Australian troops, actions that we all know ocurred (because it's already been reported). I don't think the Chinese even made the picture, probably some artist wanting to make a statement made it. Possibly even an Australian.

Morisson is just a moron. That and/or he knew getting all shouty and outraged about it would appeal to the moron voting demograph in Australia who are just bursting at the seams to take offence and get outraged about anything to do with "the troops".
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

I think I speak for all right thinking folk when I say well done Ozzie for sticking the boot in. The CCP are a pack of cunts.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Australia is screwed. China is ratcheting this up. The current Aus govt are in way over their heads and there’ll be no let up until they grovel.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

fudge 'em - CCP don't get called out nearly enough.

Fortunately markets are international - as prices of Saffa wine go up due to Chinese demand for example, we can just sell into the markets they've vacated.
dam0

Post by dam0 »

This is why strengthening organisations like the WTO are important.

Otherwise the big nations can just do what they like with no consequences.

That is essentially what Trump and China want. Australia was foolish to get involved.

Having said that, the behaviour from China is reprehensible. Obtaining power through threats of retribution is concerning.

It will make other countries think twice before making any comments about China's human rights abuses - which I think is the aim.
Mog The Almighty

Bindi wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 am fudge 'em - CCP don't get called out nearly enough.
Called out for what exactly?

... I mean ... it's a matter of record that the Australian troops were guilty of doing wrong shit, right?

So what are we "calling out" the CCP for? Acknowledging that or...?
Mog The Almighty

P.S. I think what China is doing is childish and silly ... I also think Morrisson's response is childish and silly ... but I'm not getting how it's an "outrage" or how we're "sticking the boot into them" by feigning outrage and getting shouty about it ... (especially since they were actually guilty ... or am I mistaken?) ... Genuine question there. Maybe I'm missing something here...
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

dam0 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 am It will make other countries think twice before making any comments about China's human rights abuses - which I think is the aim.
This spat had nothing to do with Australia commenting on China's human rights record. It started with Morrison visiting the USA and then coming home and demanding that China allow US experts full access to check to see in which wet market COVID-19 originated.

Morrison is utterly desperate to impress Donald Trump, and this entire spat is the result of Australia being played by the USA. Ironically much of the vacuum caused by Chinese bans on Australian goods will be filled by American imports.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:52 am P.S. I think what China is doing is childish and silly ... I also think Morrisson's response is childish and silly ... but I'm not getting how it's an "outrage" or how we're "sticking the boot into them" by feigning outrage and getting shouty about it ... (especially since they were actually guilty ... or am I mistaken?) ... Genuine question there. Maybe I'm missing something here...
Having a senior govt figure retweet an offensive image about another nation isn’t really the done thing, old chap.

China is being openly provocative and deliberately insulting. That’s where the game is at right now... they are openly shitting on Australia. I’d call that cause for concern.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

China suck. The shit they spout and now tweet via official channels...

I know some Kiwi crayfisherman now doing an even bigger haul of pricey fish to send off to China due to Aussies being frozen out of the market. $10mil of fish rotted on Sydney docks recently so they told me. They are very conscious of how reliant they are on the fine line of diplomacy.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:39 am I think I speak for all right thinking folk when I say well done Ozzie for sticking the boot in. The CCP are a pack of cunts.
Yes they certainly are but while the international community are patting Australia on the back and saying 'jolly good show chaps' they are beavering away trying to fill the gaps in the market that the Chinese embargo has created....

not the smartest thing Australia has ever done.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:50 am
Bindi wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 am fudge 'em - CCP don't get called out nearly enough.

... I mean ... it's a matter of record that the Australian troops were guilty of doing wrong shit, right?

You think this is about Australian troops? How cute.
naki111

Post by naki111 »

The Morrison government was emboldened by the USA to repeatedly and gleefully humiliate China on the international stage.
Are you fucking stupid, or just back on the booze?

They humiliate themselves with the actions they take. They don't give a fuck about Australia no matter how hard they use 'win-win' rhetoric and are lucky to have useful idiots like you fight their propaganda battles on the internet for free.
dam0

Post by dam0 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:53 am
dam0 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:45 am It will make other countries think twice before making any comments about China's human rights abuses - which I think is the aim.
This spat had nothing to do with Australia commenting on China's human rights record. It started with Morrison visiting the USA and then coming home and demanding that China allow US experts full access to check to see in which wet market COVID-19 originated.

Morrison is utterly desperate to impress Donald Trump, and this entire spat is the result of Australia being played by the USA. Ironically much of the vacuum caused by Chinese bans on Australian goods will be filled by American imports.
Sure this might not have been about human rights, but it's a criticism of China nonetheless.

The message is the same. Don't fuck with China or your trade will suffer.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

naki111 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:00 am
The Morrison government was emboldened by the USA to repeatedly and gleefully humiliate China on the international stage.
Are you fucking stupid, or just back on the booze?

They humiliate themselves with the actions they take. They don't give a fuck about Australia no matter how hard they use 'win-win' rhetoric and are lucky to have useful idiots like you fight their propaganda battles on the internet for free.

You seem upset... RUOK?
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

dam0 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:01 am

Sure this might not have been about human rights, but it's a criticism of China nonetheless.

In a nutshell.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

AC is talking out his arse. There's lots of things that have contributed to this. The Chinese government nicely released a list:
The dossier of 14 disputes was handed over by the Chinese embassy in Canberra to Nine News, The Sydney Morning Herald and The Age in a diplomatic play that appears aimed at pressuring the Morrison government to reverse Australia's position on key policies.

The list of grievances also includes: government funding for "anti-China" research at the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, raids on Chinese journalists and academic visa cancellations, "spearheading a crusade" in multilateral forums on China's affairs in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Xinjiang, calling for an independent investigation into the origins of COVID-19, banning Huawei from the 5G network in 2018 and blocking 10 Chinese foreign investment deals across infrastructure, agriculture and animal husbandry sectors.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

The Sun God wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:03 am

In a nutshell.
I think it’s a bit heavier than that. This is an open escalation of hostility. We’ve not seen that from China. Previously it’s been the whole steel fist in a velvet glove routine. This is open scorn and hostility.

Morrison’s f**ked.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The Chinese response is entirely predictable. Australia repeatedly tried to humiliate China about COVID-19, to help Donald Trump shift the blame for his own mis-management of the pandemic. The only thing surprising is that Morrison thought he could attack China and not suffer a reprisal.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

guy smiley wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:05 am
The Sun God wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:03 am

In a nutshell.
I think it’s a bit heavier than that. This is an open escalation of hostility. We’ve not seen that from China. Previously it’s been the whole steel fist in a velvet glove routine. This is open scorn and hostility.

Morrison’s f**ked.
Why?
dam0

Post by dam0 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:06 am

The Chinese response is entirely predictable. Australia repeatedly tried to humiliate China about COVID-19, to help Donald Trump shift the blame for his own mis-management of the pandemic. The only thing surprising is that Morrison thought he could attack China and not suffer a reprisal.
I don't follow Aussie politics much.

Can you tell me why the PM of Australia thought it would be a good idea to associate himself with Trump? Is Trump popular over there or something? Surely polite platitudes towards Trump like every other sane world leader was the way to go.
Mog The Almighty

Bindi wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:00 am

Only superficially of course. What I'm questioning is what leg does Morrisson have to stand on in "condemning" the picture? Whatever it's about behind the thin veil, I don't see how he has any leg to stand on in demanding they do anything at all. That's my point.

I certainly don't get how were "sticking the boot into them" by getting shouty and outraged about it.
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

He and the rest of his govt are in way over their heads. Collectively they lack a shred of nous on how to best deal with this diplomatically, let alone with a view to winning or minimising the damage. Morrison’s posturing sparked this latest bout and now there’s an avalanche of carefully harboured grievances to be slung his way. It will be a long slow burn. He’s not cut out for that. He’s a slogan guy. A bloke making cubby houses for his daughter in front of a camera.

He’s f**ked here.
naki111

Post by naki111 »

I just read through this whole thread, wow. Pretty disappointing how few posters seem to care about values and 'tegridy when there's dollaz to be made and boots to lick.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:26 am
What started as Australia throwing its political weight around to curry favour with Donald Trump, is now a fully blown political crisis. And it appears that the real losers will be Australian exporters. Has Australia bitten off more than it can chew?
A bit of me is slightly pleased. Oz's record on carbon emissions is horrific and holding it back for any reason is slightly a good thing in that context. Also learning not to depend on China for a ton of your business should be morally a good thing. No country is ethically perfect, but no doubt China's humans rights abuses and aggression for power is beyond egregious.

But like most diplomatic relationships when money s to be made, they will eventually pretend all this never happened in a few years.
Last edited by eldanielfire on Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:15 am

Only superficially of course. What I'm questioning is what leg does Morrisson have to stand on in "condemning" the picture? Whatever it's about behind the thin veil, I don't see how he has any leg to stand on in demanding they do anything at all. That's my point.

I certainly don't get how were "sticking the boot into them" by getting shouty and outraged about it.
See the list posted above. That is what this is about.
Mog The Almighty

guy smiley wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:16 am He and the rest of his govt are in way over their heads. Collectively they lack a shred of nous on how to best deal with this diplomatically, let alone with a view to winning or minimising the damage. Morrison’s posturing sparked this latest bout and now there’s an avalanche of carefully harboured grievances to be slung his way. It will be a long slow burn. He’s not cut out for that. He’s a slogan guy. A bloke making cubby houses for his daughter in front of a camera.

He’s f**ked here.
He's coming across like a petulant whiny little bitch that the big boys needle for a bit of a laugh.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:39 am I think I speak for all right thinking folk when I say well done Ozzie for sticking the boot in. The CCP are a pack of cunts.
:thumbup:
Mog The Almighty

Bindi wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:18 am
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:15 am

See the list posted above. That is what this is about.
... I don't think you're understanding me here. I'm not questioning what it's about and never was. I'm sorry to inform you, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that it's a superficial charade motivated by other political, trade and foreign-affairs greivances and alliances. Whatever those things are, it's not my point.

My point is that Morrisson doesn't even have any leg to stand on here in even participating in the charade. His smartest course of action would seem to have been to completely ignore it, not make it front-page news and start making "demmands". What justification has he got? Didn't we just finish our own investigation that concluded that yes, unfortunately some Australia soliders are guilty of crimes in Afghanastan? Whatever it's about behind the scenes, Morrisson doesn't even have any pieces on the board. What's he hoping to achieve getting publically outraged about someone else acknowledging something that his own government has more or less confirmed?
Last edited by Mog The Almighty on Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mog The Almighty

CrazyIslander wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:24 am
How are we "sticking the boot in?". Someone?

Acting like falsely-outraged whiny bitches just doesn't cut the mustard as far as my definition of "sticking the boot in" goes.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:25 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:24 am
How are we "sticking the boot in?". Someone?

Acting like falsely-outraged whiny bitches just doesn't cut the mustard as far as my definition of "sticking the boot in" goes.
Not really but any form of defiance is better than none. China unleashed Covid on the world and expects no criticism.
naki111

Post by naki111 »

For all the apologists on the thread AC, Guy Smiley etc - what exactly should Australia have done, then? Continued to say nothing while Australian IP was regularly stolen? Go along with the 'nothing to see here' origins of Covid 19 that the CCP are so desperate to perpetuate? Refuse to question China's blatant violation of the 'one country two systems' guarantees after the HK handover? Jerk them off and say well done for trying to undermine liberal democracies everywhere??
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

So I take it Scott Morrison has not bent down and slapped his own face in front of the gates of Kabul yet?
naki111

Post by naki111 »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:39 am The CCP are a pack of cunts.
You can't say that, bro. It's racist. 1.4 billion Chinese peoples' feelings will be hurt, mark my words.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

naki111 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 am For all the apologists on the thread AC, Guy Smiley etc - what exactly should Australia have done, then? Continued to say nothing while Australian IP was regularly stolen? Go along with the 'nothing to see here' origins of Covid 19 that the CCP are so desperate to perpetuate? Refuse to question China's blatant violation of the 'one country two systems' guarantees after the HK handover? Jerk them off and say well done for trying to undermine liberal democracies everywhere??
I’m not an apologist for China. I’m openly scornful of the shit show that is the national Australian govt and have been for years. Stumbling into this the way they have has been laughably inept.it’s been years of cosying up and enabling trade at all costs while everyone on the world stage treats human rights as a sort of point scoring commodity.

As to how to deal with China? I’m not versed in international affairs so my response will be simplistic and naive in a sense, but I’d be working like a hamster on a wheel to set up a major trading bloc including India and regional SE Asia with strong military ties and fronting right up to China as hard as that bloc would enable. That and employing an army of clued up tech geeks to wage a war of embarrassment against China on the same scale they are waging against us. Cause a loss of face. Undermine The Communist Party at home. Cause doubt. Appeal to the middle class aspirations of greater China.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

naki111 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:45 am For all the apologists on the thread AC, Guy Smiley etc - what exactly should Australia have done, then? Continued to say nothing while Australian IP was regularly stolen? Go along with the 'nothing to see here' origins of Covid 19 that the CCP are so desperate to perpetuate? Refuse to question China's blatant violation of the 'one country two systems' guarantees after the HK handover? Jerk them off and say well done for trying to undermine liberal democracies everywhere??
Apologists? I've been watching this unfold for months in awe at the stupidity of my own govt. Morrison has behaved like an idiot and its Australian companies and taxpayers that will suffer as a result. Just because you lived in China once doesn't make you the forum's undisputed expert on Australia/China relations.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:57 am
Apologists? I've been watching this unfold for months in awe at the stupidity of my own govt. Morrison has behaved like an idiot and its Australian companies and taxpayers that will suffer as a result. Just because you lived in China once doesn't make you the forum's undisputed expert on Australia/China relations.

Whoa whoa whoa... the dude’s in his 20s man. He knows shit.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:26 am China is Australia's largest and most important trading partner. Yet the relationship between the two nations is at its lowest point in decades.

It all started months ago when Australia, after being encouraged by the Trump administration, attempted to lead a global push to allow independent inspectors into China to study the origins of COVID-19. The Morrison government was emboldened by the USA to repeatedly and gleefully humiliate China on the international stage. Of course no inspections ever eventuated.

Since then China has slapped bans on a number of key imports from Australia, including coal, barley, wheat and more recently wine. At this moment $700 million worth of Australian coal sits idle on freight ships off the Chinese coast, unable to be delivered to port. Ironically, these products will now be largely imported into China from the USA, the nation whose bidding Australia was doing in the first place. Australia has taken concerns to the WTO, an organisation that has ironically been delegitimised and weakened by the Trump administration.

This week a Chinese official has re-tweeted a doctored image of an Australia soldier executing an Afghani child. This is in response to recent allegations of Australian troops murdering and torturing civilians and prisoners in the Afghan war for pleasure. The Australian PM and his ministers were suitably annoyed at this tweet.

Dont think the CCP could written that better. Wanting a job with the Global Times AC?