Sydney.... fvcked

All things Rugby
Pat the Ex Mat

Re: Sydney.... fvcked

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:06 am Apparently private security guards who work in Sydney's Hotel Quarantine program have not had to wear masks up until this morning, after a picture of a mask-less security guard was leaked to the media. Gold standard?
A good point, I noticed this yesterday when I walked past one of them nearby - It didn't click until now
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:59 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:18 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:13 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:29 am Gladys Berejiklian repeatedly boasting today that NSW has the best COVID-19 processes in the nation. Why does she always feel compelled to troll the other states?

Probably because she can (on this matter).

Edit - 1 in ICU - first for while.
Sure, Victoria had a bad 2nd wave. But you're not seriously saying that NSW has done better than QLD or WA are you? Both economically and in terms of health outcomes. That's not even up for debate.
No, and don't think she is either.

But she can - and does - point to:
- dealing with the majority of overseas travellers into Australia and doing a good job of it
- not knee jerk closing borders without considering risk etc

And she's probably ScoMos pet at National Cabinet - so she gets to shit on them a little.

Plus being the premier of the most populous and economically strong state mean's she got a bit more power than the other states.

And she's politically very strong ... her biggest political pain is her own coalition partner (Jonny B) and herself. And the media on both sides love her.

(Clearly there is a bunch of negatives - Ruby P on her watch etc, sleeping with a criminal... but she's played it all well).
😂😂😂
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:58 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:06 am Apparently private security guards who work in Sydney's Hotel Quarantine program have not had to wear masks up until this morning, after a picture of a mask-less security guard was leaked to the media. Gold standard?
A good point, I noticed this yesterday when I walked past one of them nearby - It didn't click until now
Just crazy - of all the people shirley security guards should have been covered in the contract from day 1...

Gold Standard (needing a rub)
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

As I mentioned previously, the Covid Testing QR code is incompatible withe Service NSW's app :?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

NSW virus strategy holds the country hostage

Australia's official policy is aggressive suppression, but in practice every jurisdiction bar NSW is practising elimination.

When will NSW join Australia's elimination club?

Australia's official policy is aggressive suppression, but in practice every jurisdiction bar the premier state is practising elimination.

COVID-19 has brutally reminded the political community that all politics is local and the locals in the virus-free states have definitely spoken. They have strongly backed tough and early interventions, with only minor protest.

Consistent with its historical free-market approach to most things, NSW has opted out of this approach, avoiding across-the-board lockdowns since it largely snuffed out the first wave, by successfully running down outbreaks.

This may have worked for the 5 million people in the Emerald City, but it has exposed the other seven jurisdictions to infection risk.

This means that every time there is a consequential outbreak in Sydney, the rest of Australia – including businesses outside of NSW – invokes an increasingly convoluted set of rapidly changing public health measures, border restrictions and COVID-safe protocols to protect their communities from the COVID-19 virus.

This response upsets the NSW government and its media allies, but we know from bitter local and international experience how quickly the virus infects.

And predictably the virus is mutating to become even more contagious. The latest variant to hit our shores has a reproduction number of 4 compared with about 2.5 for earlier versions.
Infectious international travellers

Forgetting the labels used by national cabinet, Australia has in practice been running a successful elimination strategy, with no community transmission other than from returning travellers.

Indeed, every outbreak of COVID-19 since the first wave ended in May has come from breaches of hotel quarantine from returning international travellers.

NSW rightly points that it is taking the vast majority of international travellers – including many who then travel home to other states.

But the point of difference is that NSW has chosen to fight these outbreaks with conventional contact tracing, focused contact isolation based on an almost endless list of exposure sites.

While this has been successful, on almost any measure the virus remains active in the Sydney community, leaving the rest of the country hostage to NSW's ongoing outbreaks.

Each outbreak is different, but there have now been 207 cases of local transmission in the 24 days since the northern beaches outbreak began, with a breach of quarantine infecting a resident.

The virus doesn't respect borders

Since then the rest of Australia has had to dance around a variety of increasingly complex border restrictions, amid concerns the virus pays little respect to borders. This was most notable in Victoria when borders were dramatically shut on New Year's Day after 28 cases were found in south-eastern Melbourne, all linked to the Sydney cluster.

NSW is "mopping up" this latest cluster but it will be another 14 days before public health authorities in other states will be satisfied the infection risk is eliminated.

The chaos this has caused holidaymakers, airlines and tourism towns around the country has been demonstrable, leaving travellers wary about booking any interstate travel.

The typically blunt Western Australian Premier Mark McGowan was unequivocal about what this means for the rest of Australia on Tuesday.

"It would be, I think, advisable if New South Wales eliminated the virus from Sydney and that would, of course, mean that we could rest a lot easier across Australia," Mr McGowan said on Monday.

"There's five states and two territories doing one thing, and one state doing something different.

"I go with the majority. The states and territories that want to eliminate the virus, I think, have the right approach.

"The idea that you tick along with the virus and somehow that is a better model is wrong.

"And I just urge the New South Wales government and people in New South Wales to look outside of New South Wales and see what other states and territories are doing in order to crush and kill the virus.

"That's a better approach," Mr McGowan said.

The 20 million Australians who don't live in Greater Sydney might agree.

Source - The Australian Financial Review and Tom Burton
les@mooloolaba

Post by les@mooloolaba »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:17 am
NSW virus strategy holds the country hostage

Australia's official policy is aggressive suppression, but in practice every jurisdiction bar NSW is practising elimination.

When will NSW join Australia's elimination club?

Australia's official policy is aggressive suppression, but in practice every jurisdiction bar the premier state is practising elimination.

COVID-19 has brutally reminded the political community that all politics is local and the locals in the virus-free states have definitely spoken. They have strongly backed tough and early interventions, with only minor protest.

Consistent with its historical free-market approach to most things, NSW has opted out of this approach, avoiding across-the-board lockdowns since it largely snuffed out the first wave, by successfully running down outbreaks.

This may have worked for the 5 million people in the Emerald City, but it has exposed the other seven jurisdictions to infection risk.

This means that every time there is a consequential outbreak in Sydney, the rest of Australia – including businesses outside of NSW – invokes an increasingly convoluted set of rapidly changing public health measures, border restrictions and COVID-safe protocols to protect their communities from the COVID-19 virus.

This response upsets the NSW government and its media allies, but we know from bitter local and international experience how quickly the virus infects.

And predictably the virus is mutating to become even more contagious. The latest variant to hit our shores has a reproduction number of 4 compared with about 2.5 for earlier versions.
Infectious international travellers

Forgetting the labels used by national cabinet, Australia has in practice been running a successful elimination strategy, with no community transmission other than from returning travellers.

Indeed, every outbreak of COVID-19 since the first wave ended in May has come from breaches of hotel quarantine from returning international travellers.

NSW rightly points that it is taking the vast majority of international travellers – including many who then travel home to other states.

But the point of difference is that NSW has chosen to fight these outbreaks with conventional contact tracing, focused contact isolation based on an almost endless list of exposure sites.

While this has been successful, on almost any measure the virus remains active in the Sydney community, leaving the rest of the country hostage to NSW's ongoing outbreaks.

Each outbreak is different, but there have now been 207 cases of local transmission in the 24 days since the northern beaches outbreak began, with a breach of quarantine infecting a resident.

The virus doesn't respect borders

Since then the rest of Australia has had to dance around a variety of increasingly complex border restrictions, amid concerns the virus pays little respect to borders. This was most notable in Victoria when borders were dramatically shut on New Year's Day after 28 cases were found in south-eastern Melbourne, all linked to the Sydney cluster.

NSW is "mopping up" this latest cluster but it will be another 14 days before public health authorities in other states will be satisfied the infection risk is eliminated.

The chaos this has caused holidaymakers, airlines and tourism towns around the country has been demonstrable, leaving travellers wary about booking any interstate travel.

The typically blunt Western Australian Premier Mark McGowan was unequivocal about what this means for the rest of Australia on Tuesday.

"It would be, I think, advisable if New South Wales eliminated the virus from Sydney and that would, of course, mean that we could rest a lot easier across Australia," Mr McGowan said on Monday.

"There's five states and two territories doing one thing, and one state doing something different.

"I go with the majority. The states and territories that want to eliminate the virus, I think, have the right approach.

"The idea that you tick along with the virus and somehow that is a better model is wrong.

"And I just urge the New South Wales government and people in New South Wales to look outside of New South Wales and see what other states and territories are doing in order to crush and kill the virus.

"That's a better approach," Mr McGowan said.

The 20 million Australians who don't live in Greater Sydney might agree.

Source - The Australian Financial Review and Tom Burton
Spot on.

Gladys is a dick.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Interesting from Tom Burton that he doesn’t call out two items:

1. If elimination is the strategy why is this not pushed explicitly at the National Cabinet and by the Fed government?
2. Is Burton recommending border closure to all including returning Australians? And /or with point 1 a national centre - Christmas Island maybe - to channel people through for all of Australia?

The absence of these questions for me raises questions over the intent of Burton’s opinion piece.

Also the last sentence is a big crap - NSW this, NSW that - but then has a Sydney moan. There 2.5m outside Sydney - of whixh the majority support Gladys.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

There’s a damn sight more than 2.5 million outside of Sydney Greg... and the vast majority do not support Gladys.
shanky

Post by shanky »

She’s got an approval rating of 64%
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Gosh.

Errr...

Golly.
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

shanky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:24 am She’s got an approval rating of 64%
Apparently people from outside NSW know better than us what's happening here.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Not at all. The opposite, in fact. Australians outside NSW know what’s going on.

Sydney, as usual, is carrying on as if there is no rest of Australia. There’s quite a lot of us out here, looking at you lot wondering when you might actually get it together, as opposed to clapping yourselves on the back and spreading the virus around the other states.
shanky

Post by shanky »

He who has the GST, makes the rules

- Old Yiddish maxim
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:56 am He who has the GST, makes the rules

- Old Yiddish maxim
Not really. He can stamp his little foot and try to withhold funding but he can’t cross a closed state border.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I have to admit I initially thought that this link from the NSW state govt promoting 'mutual masturbation' to stay COVID-19 safe was fake.

https://playsafe.health.nsw.gov.au/2020 ... jeLNwk75Hk
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:54 pm I have to admit I initially thought that this link from the NSW state govt promoting 'mutual masturbation' to stay COVID-19 safe was fake.

There's enough mutual masturbation in this thread from you lot.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Zakar wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:53 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:54 pm I have to admit I initially thought that this link from the NSW state govt promoting 'mutual masturbation' to stay COVID-19 safe was fake.

There's enough mutual masturbation in this thread from you lot.
PINk JiZZ!
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

A shitfight has kicked off between NSW and the rest of the states. Western Australia's Mark McGowan in particular seems to be taking the fight up to NSW.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

5 new locally acquired cases in NSW overnight.

One case is linked to the Berala cluster. Two cases are in the Northern area of the Northern Beaches and two others are in Western Sydney and are under investigation.

The Gold Standard is struggling to get on top of this outbreak.

Berejiklian being lobbed loving Dorothy Dixers by the hand picked media who are attending her press conference. "Tell us why NSW is the best state and the Gold Standard Gladys?"

jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:06 am 5 new locally acquired cases in NSW overnight.

One case is linked to the Berala cluster. Two cases are in the Northern area of the Northern Beaches and two others are in Western Sydney and are under investigation.

The Gold Standard is struggling to get on top of this outbreak.

Berejiklian being lobbed loving Dorothy Dixers by the hand picked media who are attending her press conference. "Tell us why NSW is the best state and the Gold Standard Gladys?"

:lol: News Ltd is a joke and anyone still working for that bastard empire should hang their heads in shame.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Interesting data set I just saw on Twitter.

kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

where is that from AC - any more context?
Tis interesting.

The number via NT (repatriation flights) is an interesting one going back to the Q about whether Aus could/should have an elimination approach - where any arrival is to a remote location. The numbers into the main centres would indicate that would be a fcuking nightmare...
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:18 am There’s a damn sight more than 2.5 million outside of Sydney Greg... and the vast majority do not support Gladys.
My comment related to Sydney vs. NSW as that is what the author weirdly wrote about in the last section. Just check ABS - they have NSW at 8.2m - so it's more like 3m.
shanky

Post by shanky »

I have no idea why NSW is accepting arrivals on behalf of other states

Ahh, that was novel, dipping my toe in the pool of internecine strife-making that our woke thought-leadership has virtuously created.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Some more interesting data I came across on Twitter. This appears to be accurate up to 12.1.2021

Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:36 pm I have no idea why NSW is accepting arrivals on behalf of other states

Ahh, that was novel, dipping my toe in the pool of internecine strife-making that our woke thought-leadership has virtuously created.
I guess my only response to that is that Sydney receives the bulk of all international arrivals. Why would this change now? Moreover, are you suggesting that airlines 'sort' returning Aussies into states during the ticketing process?

But yes, it does seem that NSW is taking the Lion's share of arrivals, but below the NT per capita.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:26 pm where is that from AC - any more context?
Tis interesting.
From this twitter page mate. It's usually very accurate and aligns to the various state Covid-19 daily press releases.

https://mobile.twitter.com/covidliveau
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:51 pm
shanky wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:36 pm I have no idea why NSW is accepting arrivals on behalf of other states

I guess my only response to that is that Sydney receives the bulk of all international arrivals. Why would this change now? Moreover, are you suggesting that airlines 'sort' returning Aussies into states during the ticketing process?

But yes, it does seem that NSW is taking the Lion's share of arrivals, but below the NT per capita.
The potential inoculation of new cases arises from overseas travellers

Maybe we should follow Anna P’s logic and only think of our own, because votes-over-country, right?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:53 pm

Maybe we should follow Anna P’s logic and only think of our own, because votes-over-country, right?
And yet QLD Health services all of northern NSW because your state has consistently and deliberately chosen to strip health funding to this area, knowing that QLD will fill the void. Why build a hospital on the North Coast of NSW when they can travel to Brisbane?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Victoria was in total lockdown for over three of those months and didn’t accept any arrivals. Other than that Sydney has been the main arrival port for internationals for years and carries a lot more hotel rooms than the other centres...

the interesting aspect is the claim that NSW is working on behalf of the other states. That is the line propagated by the Libs. It’s a shame that shoulder to the wheel ideal doesn’t extend to actually stopping the spread of COVID-19 for the sake of the country but there you go.
shanky

Post by shanky »

I agree

The best thing we can do is eliminate the risk by reducing arrivals destined for other states

I mean, if Anna P can stop a terminally ill man from seeing his children one last time, then we should be similarly firm.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:58 pm
shanky wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:53 pm

And yet QLD Health services all of northern NSW because your state has consistently and deliberately chosen to strip health funding to this area, knowing that QLD will fill the void. Why build a hospital on the North Coast of NSW when they can travel to Brisbane?
Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that Brisbane is a major city close to the border and so building a major hospital (with intensive care) near the border would, as a common sense matter, make no sense

But that was before we were going for the new endorsed approach of local petty interests over the common good.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:07 pm Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that Brisbane is a major city close to the border and so building a major hospital (with intensive care) near the border would, as a common sense matter, make no sense

But that was before we were going for the new endorsed approach of local petty interests over the common good.
You're the one trolling Premier Palaszczuk, implying that she only looks after Queenslanders. The reality is that half the geographic area of NSW is serviced by QLD hospitals.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:09 pm
shanky wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:07 pm Of course, this has nothing to do with the fact that Brisbane is a major city close to the border and so building a major hospital (with intensive care) near the border would, as a common sense matter, make no sense

You're the one trolling Premier Palaszczuk, implying that she only looks after Queenslanders. The reality is that half the geographic area of NSW is serviced by QLD hospitals.
Come now, you just made that up didn’t you.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:05 pm I agree

The best thing we can do is eliminate the risk by reducing arrivals destined for other states

I mean, if Anna P can stop a terminally ill man from seeing his children one last time, then we should be similarly firm.
Do the NSW police strip search all arrivals as part of the HQ process, or just the teenagers?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:10 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:09 pm

Come now, you just made that up didn’t you.
Nope, if it's closer to drive or fly to QLD than Sydney, people in NSW seeking medical care go to QLD. Vast areas of NSW are serviced by QLD health. My daughter spent some time in a Brisbane hospital a few weeks ago, and the other three patients in her ward were all from NSW.
Last edited by Ali's Choice on Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:11 pm
shanky wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:05 pm I agree

Do the NSW police strip search all arrivals as part of the HQ process, or just the teenagers?
If that’s the best counter you can come up with, then I’ll move on.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Fourteen COVID-19 cases in NSW still unlinked, one month after Avalon outbreak discovered

Fourteen coronavirus cases detected in NSW in the past month are still yet to be linked to a cluster as health authorities urge more testing.

Four weeks on from discovering the Northern Beaches outbreak, NSW Health is still trying to link 14 recent coronavirus cases to known clusters.

Five locally-acquired coronavirus cases were reported on Tuesday in NSW from just under 15,000 tests.

The origins of two new cases - one on the Northern Beaches and one in Blacktown - are so far unknown.

All up, 12 cases found since 16 December are still being investigated by NSW contact tracers, including three detected before Christmas.

A further two cases - from the Canterbury-Bankstown and Lane Cove council areas - have been fully investigated without any link found.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said it was unlikely any restrictions in Greater Sydney would be eased this week, and mandatory mask usage would not change in the near future.

"We're still seeing community transmission," she told reporters on Tuesday.

"Even though in most instances, (they are) household contacts or people already in isolation, but we have had a couple of examples where they're still unlinked, and that's always a concern."

She again backed her state's contact tracing teams, saying their work enabled the government to make decisions that didn't place "unnecessary burdens" on residents, such as keeping interstate borders open.

She also said the search to identify the case that sparked the Northern Beaches outbreak would not cease.

"We never give up the hunt in NSW," she said.

"Sometimes it might take us hours, sometimes days, or sometimes weeks, but we always get to the bottom of what we think happened, and I'm confident we'll get there.

"But we also have to give our experts time to make those connections."

Testing numbers reported on Tuesday were again below that of the day before, concerning NSW officials.

Daily testing figures fell as low as 6173 before the Northern Beaches outbreak was discovered.

"We need 25,000-plus tests a day and we particularly need to see testing in places such as the northern beaches, such as western Sydney where we've seen cases recently," NSW Health's Jeremy McAnulty said.

NSW has more than 200 active coronavirus cases, including one person who is in hospital in intensive care.

Alerts remain out for dozens of hotspots, including a shopping centre in Warriewood, a post office in Hurlstone Park and a workers club in Blacktown.
A casual-contact alert was on Tuesday evening also issued for The Groomsmen Barber Shop on 6 January, which is inside the Warriewood shopping centre already subject to health alerts.

Meanwhile, the ACT and Northern Territory have lifted travel restrictions for the Central Coast, Wollongong and some parts of Greater Sydney.

Source AAP
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

One new locally acquired case in NSW.

The steady stream of positive cases in HQ, from overseas returned travellers, just shows how vital our Hotel Quarantine processes are to our management of the virus. Take that away, and we'd potentially have as many cases as the UK/Europe.

Farva

Post by Farva »

Easiest way to get over this state bickering is for the federal health department to take back the responsibility of quarantine, as per their remit, and have the quarantine done in detention facilities and military bases, away from the cities. The result, a massively reduced risk of transfer, no arguments over private security firms, and no bickering over who does what.