Is there still no Trans-Tasman comp in place?

All things Rugby
CrazyIslander

Is there still no Trans-Tasman comp in place?

Post by CrazyIslander »

Just reading about JOC being denied going to the Chiefs. It seems SR Aotearoa is set to be played again.

Incredible that they haven't worked out a solution especially with the vaccine availability next year and low covid numbers.
JB1981

Re: Is there still no Trans-Tasman comp in place?

Post by JB1981 »

It’s been worked out. The trans-Tasman competition follows Super Rugby Australia and Aotearoa.

This was from a few days ago:
The Sky Super Rugby Trans-Tasman 2021 draw has been finalised with the five-week competition kicking off in Dunedin where the Highlanders will host the Queensland Reds at Forsyth Barr Stadium on Friday, 14 May.

The Highlanders and Crusaders will be at home in Round 1 with the Hurricanes, Blues and Chiefs heading across the Tasman for the start of a tournament that will see New Zealand’s five Super Rugby clubs square off against the Reds, Waratahs, Brumbies, Rebels and Force.

All 25 regular season matches will be live and exclusive on Sky including weekly Friday night double-headers at 7.05pm and 9.45pm and three matches every Saturday.

The final between the two top-placed teams on the combined competition table is scheduled for Saturday, 19 June.

The draw also includes two family-friendly 4.35pm afternoon matches in New Zealand with the Blues hosting the Waratahs at Eden Park in Round 2, and the Chiefs playing the Rebels at FMG Stadium Waikato in Round 4.

As previously announced, Round 3 will feature a Super Round with all matches being played at one venue. NZR and Rugby Australia will announce venues and other details for the Super Round in due course.

NZR General Manager Professional Rugby & Performance Chris Lendrum said it was great to have certainty around venue and kick off times heading into Christmas.

“When you see the weekly match ups you realise how compelling the competition will be and I think it’s something that will capture the imagination of fans and players on both sides of the Tasman.

“We’ll get a chance to see all the teams in action in Sky Super Rugby Aotearoa and Super Rugby AU and there will be a lot of intrigue in how they measure up to each other when Sky Super Rugby Trans-Tasman kicks off.”

Tex Teixeira, Sky Chief Content Officer said:

“Sky is rugby’s number one fan and we’re grateful to be alongside the team putting together a competition we know will be keenly appreciated by New Zealanders. Following on from Sky Super Rugby Aotearoa and, all things going to plan, having international fixtures for the All Blacks and domestic competitions as well, the calendar is looking very impressive.”
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Good job guys :thumbup:
My opinion on RA and NZR has increased immensely.
towny

Post by towny »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:11 am Good job guys :thumbup:
As we said all along, The Hammer would sort it out.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

towny wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:44 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 7:11 am Good job guys :thumbup:
As we said all along, The Hammer would sort it out.
I was a bit disappointed with Hammer for not arranging the Bledisloe refs and venue in the Wallabies favour.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Any news on the proposed Trans Tasman comp?

There is zero chance of a travel bubble commencing between Australia and NZ in the medium term. But New Zealanders can travel to NSW and QLD without needing to quarantine. So I can't see how this comp could work in 2021 unless the NZ teams move over to Australia and play all their games on Australian soil.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:38 am Any news on the proposed Trans Tasman comp?

There is zero chance of a travel bubble commencing between Australia and NZ in the medium term. But New Zealanders can travel to NSW and QLD without needing to quarantine. So I can't see how this comp could work in 2021 unless the NZ teams move over to Australia and play all their games on Australian soil.
I thought Jacinda was making an announcement about the trans-Tasman bubble this very Tuesday.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:38 am Any news on the proposed Trans Tasman comp?

There is zero chance of a travel bubble commencing between Australia and NZ in the medium term.
There's an announcement from Jacinda Ardern due in two days... she has said that's when she will announce details of the travel bubble including the starting date.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Fingers crossed that a bubble is created.

As an aside, how is the vaccination process going over in NZ?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/dis ... et-vaccine
The rollout at a glance

We're rolling out the vaccine in stages. We’ve created four groups that everyone in the country aged 16 and over will fall under.
From February From March From May From July

Group 1 –
Border and MIQ workers and the people they live with
Underway and on track

Group 2 –
High-risk frontline workers and people living in high-risk places
Underway – we'll provide more details soon

Group 3 –
People who are at risk of getting very sick from COVID-19
You don't need to do anything just yet

Group 4 –
General population
You don't need to do anything just yet
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Think about July they looking at doing us old buggers.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

As of midnight Sunday the 18th April, a travel bubble with no isolation requirements will be in place between NZ and Australia.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

guy smiley wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:06 am

As of midnight Sunday the 18th April, a travel bubble with no isolation requirements will be in place between NZ and Australia.
Well at this stage it Aus except for Qld, but that will probably be sorted next week.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Dan54. wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:36 am

Well at this stage it Aus except for Qld, but that will probably be sorted next week.
All Aus except Western Aus who are not yet accepting Kiwis, Qld is all good
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

jambanja wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:31 am
Dan54. wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:36 am

All Aus except Western Aus who are not yet accepting Kiwis, Qld is all good
Ok Jacinda said yesterdy Qld had to be signed off by NZ as they had an outbreak last week. But seemd to sound just a formaality.
So is Western Force still not certain for home games?
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Super Rugby’s Trans-Tasman competition is all systems go, with the only major change to original planning being the abandonment of the intention to stage the entire third round at a single destination.

New Zealand Rugby’s head of the professional game Chris Lendrum confirmed on a call to reporters on Wednesday that Tuesday’s government decision to open the trans-Tasman travel bubble between New Zealand and Australia from April 19 essentially green-lighted the proposed new cross-border competition.

He also said it now firmed the likelihood that the 2021 Rugby Championship would be played out across both Australia and New Zealand, though discussions on that competition had yet to open up post the new border regulations.

So Super Rugby Trans-Tasman, a single-round, six-week competition with a final, to be staged from May 14 to June 19, would now take place as per the original draw. That will allow Super Rugby Aotearoa, and its Australian equivalent, Super Rugby AU, to wrap up as scheduled after two full rounds and their own finals on May 8.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

So if the TRC happens Arg and SA (maybe) will have to be here.

SA are playing Lions (maybe) July and August - so even if come here and do two weeks quarantine it is Oct at earliest for games. Depending on format but timing wise this isn’t an international window (not sure there would be SH to NH tours in flight) but could be domestic SA and Arg players only.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:30 am So if the TRC happens Arg and SA (maybe) will have to be here.

SA are playing Lions (maybe) July and August - so even if come here and do two weeks quarantine it is Oct at earliest for games. Depending on format but timing wise this isn’t an international window (not sure there would be SH to NH tours in flight) but could be domestic SA and Arg players only.
Which would be utterly pointless and completely devalue test match rugby.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Think last year partly worked as Arg overseas players used November window - so maybe TRC then. It might be weird for NZ and AU players - might have to play NRC/mitre 10 etc to bridge the gap from June/July tours...

I suspect SA will make up an excuse, again.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:54 am Think last year partly worked as Arg overseas players used November window - so maybe TRC then. It might be weird for NZ and AU players - might have to play NRC/mitre 10 etc to bridge the gap from June/July tours...

South Africa won't play in the Rugby Championship because they have no control over their players, who are now mainly playing in the NH. Test windows don't work with quarantine requirements, and the NH clubs understandably won't release players to spend weeks quarantining. As you say, they'll come up with an excuse like they did last year but the reality is that they wont ever play against NZ and Australia again until the pandemic settles down and international travel re-opens.
Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:54 am Think last year partly worked as Arg overseas players used November window - so maybe TRC then. It might be weird for NZ and AU players - might have to play NRC/mitre 10 etc to bridge the gap from June/July tours...

Then we should look at inviting Japan.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

I must try and get to the Crusaders vs Reds game on May 22.

As an aside, is the final of this comp between the top NZ and Australian teams? Because if not who wants to watch two NZ teams compete? That's what SR Aotearoa is for.
towny

Post by towny »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:13 am Image
Who is that in the Waratah’s jersey?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

towny wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:10 am
Dicky McDickface. Absolutely no relation at all of Richard McDickface, NSWRU heavyweight and prominent equity fund manager.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Not sure, but if you google searched 'punchable private school boy face' he'd no doubt appear prominently.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Btw I'm looking forward to some Trans Tasman banter in the lead up to this comp. The intra-NZ matches just don't have the same level of spite.
towny

Post by towny »

He looks like the kind of bloke that sleeps until 4pm and spends the night in a Toyota Supra dropping baggies around town.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

towny wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:29 am He looks like the kind of bloke that sleeps until 4pm and spends the night in a Toyota Supra dropping baggies around town.
And Matt Toomua looks like he's an actual zombie. A middle aged zombie at that. How the f**k did he end up with Ellyse Perry? She's just wonderful. Apparently Toomua's nickname in the dressing room is Horse.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:26 am
Not sure, but if you google searched 'punchable private school boy face' he'd no doubt appear prominently.
Aren’t you a private school boy?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:44 am Aren’t you a private school boy?
Nope, but even if I was my comment would still be valid.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:32 am
towny wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:29 am He looks like the kind of bloke that sleeps until 4pm and spends the night in a Toyota Supra dropping baggies around town.
And Matt Toomua looks like he's an actual zombie. A middle aged zombie at that. How the f**k did he end up with Ellyse Perry? She's just wonderful. Apparently Toomua's nickname in the dressing room is Horse.
Seems she likes a bit of afakasi - in an alternate timelien you could have been in!
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

UncleFB wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:46 am
Seems she likes a bit of afakasi - in an alternate timelien you could have been in!
:lol: I'll save that thought for my next sneak-wank.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:45 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:19 am I went to a GPS school in Sydney and none of my 1st XV teammates played club Rugby. We were all fully focused on school rugby. One teammate had permission to play junior rep Rugby League and his life was training and recovery 7 days per week, an extreme workload which I doubt any of the rest of us could have managed. In saying that he went on to play 260 NRL games, a dozen state of origin games, 17 tests for the Kangaroos and a dozen international Rugby tests, so he clearly had a work ethic far above the rest of us.
Which GPS school isn’t private?
mojo

Post by mojo »

White and whoever the Force guy is aren't much better. Luckily JOC's there to raise the standard.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:55 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:45 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:19 am I went to a GPS school in Sydney and none of my 1st XV teammates played club Rugby. We were all fully focused on school rugby. One teammate had permission to play junior rep Rugby League and his life was training and recovery 7 days per week, an extreme workload which I doubt any of the rest of us could have managed. In saying that he went on to play 260 NRL games, a dozen state of origin games, 17 tests for the Kangaroos and a dozen international Rugby tests, so he clearly had a work ethic far above the rest of us.
Which GPS school isn’t private?
Ffs KG, do your own sleuth work mate.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Well I’m now wondering it you and Ella went to the same school - like some kind of diversity selection.

By definition they’re all Public in the British sense, so all private/selective/fee paying schools.

And this group of schools is part of the root cause of problems in NSW and Australian rugby.

Didn’t pick that from you.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:08 am Well I’m now wondering it you and Ella went to the same school - like some kind of diversity selection.

By definition they’re all Public in the British sense, so all private/selective/fee paying schools.

And this group of schools is part of the root cause of problems in NSW and Australian rugby.

Didn’t pick that from you.
I'd actually argue that if it wasn't for the GPS schools, Rugby in Australia would be only a fraction of what it is today. It would be like lacrosse or American Football, played and enjoyed by only a tiny portion of the populace.

Don't get me wrong, the way the GPS schools monopolise elite junior rugby in NSW and QLD is problematic. But the GPS schools are also the greatest assets that RA will ever have.
towny

Post by towny »

Toomua started off pretty handsome. But the 10/12 channel can take its toll.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

towny wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:24 am
Toomua started off pretty handsome.
He's still handsome. Just not Elyse Perry. Unfortunately Polynesian men tend not to age like a fine red.