Boris Johnson resignation

All things Rugby
Gospel

Re: Boris Johnson resignation

Post by Gospel »

mdaclarke wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:36 pm I think it depends on Carrie. If Carrie starts pushing her Woke agenda too much then the Tory MPs will get rid of him and put Sunak in.

Also if they feel the Coronavirus restrictions have gone on too long and are damaging the economy too much they will get rid of him and put Sunak in.

The Tory party is ruthless when it comes to getting rid of its leader
I think the anti-lockdown brigade were a big driving force behind Johnson's stubborn insistence to push ahead with Christmas - then the overwhelming science argument finally forced his hand. He's bouncing between two walls and and failing everyone.
Openside

Post by Openside »

C69 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:20 am
EverReady wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:19 am Patel
That wouldn't be pretty
it certainly would be Priti :lol:
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

mdaclarke wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:36 pm I think it depends on Carrie. If Carrie starts pushing her Woke agenda too much then the Tory MPs will get rid of him and put Sunak in.

Also if they feel the Coronavirus restrictions have gone on too long and are damaging the economy too much they will get rid of him and put Sunak in.

Sez the man who lectures Remainers about "democracy" :roll:
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Openside wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:56 pm
C69 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:20 am
EverReady wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:19 am Patel
That wouldn't be pretty
it certainly would be Priti :lol:
Didn’t think you could find anyone worse than Boris but Thatcher Lite fair play that would be hilarious
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Love that bojo is hammered for the U-turn but all the other devolved parliaments are fine
C69

Post by C69 »

RodneyRegis wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:13 pm Love that bojo is hammered for the U-turn but all the other devolved parliaments are fine
Care to look at his comments to Starmer on Wednesday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDOdaK5Zqj0

That said we are fecked
Gospel

Post by Gospel »

RodneyRegis wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:13 pm Love that bojo is hammered for the U-turn but all the other devolved parliaments are fine
That's largely been the story of Covid from the start.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Fruit and Nutt wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:29 pm People have consistently underestimated Johnson. I'm not saying he's a good PM or even a competent one but it's difficult to argue that he doesn't know how to play the political game.
Nah.......Gove pulling the strings
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

You'd imagine Sunak is next in line. He has been a very impressive, calming voice during this pandemic. :thumbup:
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:40 pm

You'd imagine Sunak is next in line. He has been a very impressive, calming voice during this pandemic. :thumbup:
Being mega rich probably helps with the stress in fairness
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

SaintK wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:25 pm
Fruit and Nutt wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:29 pm People have consistently underestimated Johnson. I'm not saying he's a good PM or even a competent one but it's difficult to argue that he doesn't know how to play the political game.
I suppose Johnson knows how to use his popularity and knows to have the right sort of smart people around him to get things done.
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:45 pm
I suppose Johnson knows how to use his popularity and knows to have the right sort of smart people around him to get things done.
His popularity is on the wane by the looks both inside and outside his party
His "strength" is playing to a live audience either in the house, at party functions or on the stump when he can get a reaction to his nblustering, bombastic style
So far his choice of the "right people" has been very poor
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

SaintK wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:56 pm
His "strength" is playing to a live audience either in the house, at party functions or on the stump when he can get a reaction to his nblustering, bombastic style
I'd say Cummings was a good choice. He helped get him into power on a popular platford. Certainly some of Cummings colleagues did (As despite things Cumminsg didn't run the election campaign in 2019). Regardless of what you think of him, he was brilliant at his jobs until the COVID crisis. Likewise, Johnson has a fair new others who are effective in politics.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Suppose you'd prefer some of the trashy people in the Labour party, no doubt you're an admirer of McDonnell, Rayner and Long-Bailey.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:05 pm
Suppose you'd prefer some of the trashy people in the Labour party, no doubt you're an admirer of McDonnell, Rayner and Long-Bailey.
Nah.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:40 pm

Puppet on a string
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:05 pm
I'd say Cummings was a good choice. He helped get him into power on a popular platford. Certainly some of Cummings colleagues did (As despite things Cumminsg didn't run the election campaign in 2019). Regardless of what you think of him, he was brilliant at his jobs until the COVID crisis. Likewise, Johnson has a fair new others who are effective in politics.
Cummings was always Gove's man, gave him his first major job in government when he was at Education and was the one who bought him in to the Leave campaign.
"Brilliant" is not a word I would ascribe to anyone in government at present
SaintK

Post by SaintK »

Willie Falloon wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:05 pm
No, do you?
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Of course it is. Half the population think we should never have gone down lockdown and erosion of liberty route, the other think we should never go out again and Boris has blood on his hands. Nobody is going to be happy. when it comes to the crunch, people will weigh up whether they would prefer him or a labour candidate and go for him. The Tories may be ruthless but he gave them a massive majority which nobody else would have delivered. I'm not sure Rishi will want the chalice, I'd give him a month before everybody turned on him.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Labour will have ripped itself apart again by election time.

I can't think of another politician who could have ridden covid and brexit, and all the shit that a temporarily united Labour party has thrown, and still not have hos party behind in the polls.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

RodneyRegis wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:19 pm

Of course it is. Half the population think we should never have gone down lockdown and erosion of liberty route, the other think we should never go out again and Boris has blood on his hands. Nobody is going to be happy. when it comes to the crunch, people will weigh up whether they would prefer him or a labour candidate and go for him. The Tories may be ruthless but he gave them a massive majority which nobody else would have delivered. I'm not sure Rishi will want the chalice, I'd give him a month before everybody turned on him.
This is a good point. It's what I was referring to when I spoke about COVID divisions and how other countries have more compliant populations.

I think also it's more like a 3/4 of the population to 1/4 according to this poll, most people support the Tier 4 measures:

Interesting that it is Labour voters who are slightly less supportive of it. It suggests the 'libertarian anti lockdown' voices who tend to appear in the Tory media are over represented there.
Last edited by eldanielfire on Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
message #2527204

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:26 pm
This is a good point. It's what I was referring to when I spoke about COVID divisions and how other countries have more compliant populations.

I think also it's more like a 3/4 of the population to 1/4 according to this poll, most people support the Tier 4 measures:

What's the spread regionally? Do londoners support it as much as the Scots?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

The right wing press always hammered lockdown but poll after poll showed strong public support for lockdown. Not this bogus 50% you suggest.
YOYO

Post by YOYO »

Liz Truss is the man for the job.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

message #2527204 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:28 pm
No idea. I imagine it was a quickly commissioned poll rather than a comprehensive opinion study. It can be found here:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... _4_support
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:19 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:08 am He was always going when Brexit is resolved- I’d imagine he was originally off with Cummings in January , now he’ll probably have to stay until the vaccine rolls out.
Really? I thought he had a lifetime of want to be PM. I doubt he'll quit after a year.
I doubt it’s lived up to his expectations, he was always going to ‘get Brexit done’ and leave a hero before it got tricky. The gods clearly hate him.

Labour won’t win the next election, people outside twitter haven’t really turned on Boris- most understand he’s got a shit hand. Labour will tear itself to pieces within the next 4 years, and the tories haven’t made an effort to ‘go for them’ yet.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:30 pm
The right wing press always hammered lockdown but poll after poll showed strong public support for lockdown. Not this bogus 50% you suggest.
To be fair I don't think he means literally 50%. He means more that they is a significant number in both camps and the polls support that. Even with 70% supportive, 30% of the UK is a lot of people.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:32 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:08 am He was always going when Brexit is resolved- I’d imagine he was originally off with Cummings in January , now he’ll probably have to stay until the vaccine rolls out.
Really? I thought he had a lifetime of want to be PM. I doubt he'll quit after a year.
I doubt it’s lived up to his expectations, he was always going to ‘get Brexit done’ and leave a hero before it got tricky. The gods clearly hate him.

Labour won’t win the next election, people outside twitter haven’t really turned on Boris- most understand he’s got a shit hand. Labour will tear itself to pieces within the next 4 years, and the tories haven’t made an effort to ‘go for them’ yet.
Yeah, while online opinion is sharper, most feel Boris/any leader has had a hard time in COVID. I suspect Boris will want to see out his PM era with his promises on the North being put into action. Likewise he probably just wants COVID to be gone and thinks the rest of his time in Number 10 can only get easier.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:35 pm
DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:32 pm

Yeah, while online opinion is sharper, most feel Boris/any leader has had a hard time in COVID. I suspect Boris will want to see out his PM era with his promises on the North being put into action. Likewise he probably just wants COVID to be gone and thinks the rest of his time in Number 10 can only get easier.
How could it get worse? :lol: He’s no lucky general this time. If the vaccine rolls out he may get a huge “dead pensioner bounce”. Who knows.
message #2527204

eldanielfire wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:31 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:28 pm
No idea. I imagine it was a quickly commissioned poll rather than a comprehensive opinion study. It can be found here:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/ar ... _4_support
Yougov do daily polls of hundreds of thousands through their app., as well as the commissioned ones. This one apppeared on the app last night after tier 4 was announced.
The scot mainly either support or don't care.
Fruit and Nutt

Post by Fruit and Nutt »

I don't think any UK PM regardless of party, appearance, background or gender would get through 2020 without attracting loads of personal criticism and political opprobrium.

If we're being honest with ourselves, the UK public haven't exactly covered themselves in glory either. Blaming somebody else is simply easier than taking personal responsibility.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Fruit and Nutt wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:47 pm

I don't think any UK PM regardless of party, appearance, background or gender would get through 2020 without attracting loads of personal criticism and political opprobrium.

If we're being honest with ourselves, the UK public haven't exactly covered themselves in glory either. Blaming somebody else is simply easier than taking personal responsibility.
I agree. As I said even Merkel and the German government are now constantly being slammed for Corona Virus failings. And we considered their response to be a good one. All/most european governments are getting it in the shitter for the pandemic even though many factors are out of their control. And the biggest factor at the moment is a lack of population adherence in Europe.

As even vocal Government media critics Kay Burley and Beth Rigby show, we always think it's fine to not comply when it's something we want or desire.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

I didn't suggest 50%, half and half here was not supposed to be statistical.

If 75% support the measures then why would Boris resign? Yes Twitter are up in arms, but they would be wouldn't they?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

RodneyRegis wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 4:58 pm

I didn't suggest 50%, half and half here was not supposed to be statistical.

If 75% support the measures then why would Boris resign? Yes Twitter are up in arms, but they would be wouldn't they?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:27 pm :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bravo
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

RodneyRegis wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:28 pm
Bravo
When you say half the population obviously you mean around 50%. You are only changing your tune because you got challenged on the bogus figure you plucked out of your arse.
C69

Post by C69 »

Why would twitter be up in arms?
I don't have Twitter btw.

And yeah you do know that half is 50%.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

C69 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:32 pm Why would twitter be up in arms?
I don't have Twitter btw
Because it's a lefty stronghold.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:32 pm
RodneyRegis wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:28 pm
Bravo
When you say half the population obviously you mean around 50%. You are only changing your tune because you got challenged on the bogus figure you plucked out of your arse.
You can snigger all you want, but in the comments above you got mansplained.
C69

Post by C69 »

RodneyRegis wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:34 pm
C69 wrote: Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:32 pm Why would twitter be up in arms?
I don't have Twitter btw
Because it's a lefty stronghold.
Is it?
Tbh on here I've not seen any left wing posters froth as much as you and EDF et al do about twitter.