The Rainbow Cup (Pro16) 2021

All things Rugby
Jensrsa

The Rainbow Cup (Pro16) 2021

Post by Jensrsa »

The name for the new, expanded, competition that South Africa’s franchises will play in has been revealed.

The four SA teams – Bulls, Lions, Sharks and Stormers – will join 12 clubs from Ireland, Wales, Scotland and Italy in the Rainbow Cup.

Each South African team will make a three-match tour to Europe in the Rainbow Cup, while all 12 Guinness PRO14 clubs will play in South Africa.

The Rainbow Cup will kick off on 17 April and conclude with a final on 19 June.
The 16 teams will be divided into two pools of eight, made up of two Irish, two South African, two Welsh, one Italian and one Scottish club. Each team will play one game against each pool opponent and the sides that finish top of their pools will face off in a final on June 19.
https://rugby365.com/tournaments/pro14/ ... inbow-cup/

Seems to be an interim competition before the 2021/22 season starts.
feckwanker

Re: The Rainbow Cup (Pro16) 2021

Post by feckwanker »

Ffs
EverReady

Post by EverReady »

First, let's talk about the Final Chapter of Guinness PRO14.

The current Guinness PRO14 campaign will end in March allowing South Africa’s four ‘Super’ teams - the Vodacom Bulls; Emirates Lions; Cell C Sharks and DHL Stormers - and our existing clubs to finish the season with a 16-team “Rainbow Cup” competition ahead of the British & Irish Lions tour.

After consulting with key PRO14 stakeholders, the Guinness PRO14 Rainbow Cup was chosen as the best pathway to finish up the current campaign and introduce the four South African teams. This decision also allows our European-based sides to earn qualification for European Professional Club Rugby (EPCR) tournaments in 2021/22 in a fair and equitable manner.
Cool. I like rugby
Zico

Post by Zico »

Are they playing 7s? :uhoh:
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

The league is a farce.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Zico wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:53 pm
Are they playing 7s? :uhoh:
One round (2 conferences) plus final - 7 games plus final
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Who the hell is going to watch this? It is a watered down Super Rugby
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Big Nipper wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:59 pm Who the hell is going to watch this? It is a watered down Super Rugby
Should have a good viewership. In SA at least. Saffer teams haven't played elite rugby since SR 2020 (not the fake SRU), fans will be hungry for rugby and they will want to see how good SA teams compare to the top Pro14 teams
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

It will pave the way for the B + I Lions
Last edited by ZuluBoy on Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Jensrsa wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:03 pm
Big Nipper wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:59 pm Who the hell is going to watch this? It is a watered down Super Rugby
Should have a good viewership. In SA at least. Saffer teams haven't played elite rugby since SR 2020 (not the fake SRU), fans will be hungry for rugby and they will want to see how good SA teams compare to the top Pro14 teams
The top Pro 14 teams are on par with the Rebels and the Highlanders ffs. It is going to be shite
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Big Nipper wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:12 pm
The top Pro 14 teams are on par with the Rebels and the Highlanders ffs. It is going to be shite
Why do Irish teams often win the Heineken Cup? Is that also a weak competition?

Just asking as I don't watch NH rugby
Big Nipper

Post by Big Nipper »

Jensrsa wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:21 pm
Big Nipper wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:12 pm
Why do Irish teams often win the Heineken Cup? Is that also a weak competition?

Just asking as I don't watch NH rugby
I started watching when the Cheetahs were introduced, but the rugby is so boring and dire I quit halfway through the season
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

One don't have to watch all the games, only watch your team/s
Last edited by ZuluBoy on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Theflier

Post by Theflier »

So the Pro N is in its first block, Leinster and Munster are already unattainable, and the play offs will be between the two leaders? So the leagues already over?

What is the purpose of playing?
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

ZuluBoy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:25 pm One don't have to watch all the games
I stopped watching the Auckland Blues and Sunwolves for last couple years for instance. They were both bottom of the log teams the last couple years but used to watch our teams play them though
and sa teams can also finish bottom, remember the Kings, they were on their way bottom thereabouts before they left
Actually.

The Kings finished 11th in SR 2017, the Cheetahs 13th and the Bulls 15th. And then got kicked out.
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

Your'e right, they were doing well before they left.
I like the name Rainbow PRO16 Cup. Pro16 is NH and Rainbow is SA
Last edited by ZuluBoy on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

Theflier wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:27 pm So the Pro N is in its first block, Leinster and Munster are already unattainable, and the play offs will be between the two leaders? So the leagues already over?

It's a new competition for 2021 as i see it ?
Last edited by ZuluBoy on Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Just a mess.
I find the current Pro14 impossible to follow with it's pools or conferences or whatever.

It also just makes the organisers look tacky, desperate for any and all teams to join.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

ZuluBoy wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:50 pm
Theflier wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:27 pm So the Pro N is in its first block, Leinster and Munster are already unattainable, and the play offs will be between the two leaders? So the leagues already over?

It's a new competition for 2021 as i see it ?
Seems the current ProN season will end in March
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

When the Cheetahs and Kings joined the ProN Supersport added £500k to each team's tv monies. I wonder how much they will add this time
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

Supersport has 18 million viewers on the premium channel where the rugby is shown. Viewers in Africa and South America each pay a little less than a R1000 a month. Roughly estimated R18 billion per month tv monies income. They introduced the additional 24 hr rugby, the 211 and they are part of the larger super rich Naspers group, the Jaap Bekker owned co. that bought the Chinese gaming gaint a couple years back. If Cheetahs and Kings earned R9 mil or £500k tv monies each, Supersport will generate even more tv monies for 4 of SA teams and for the Pro16 organizers aswell.
Pro14 didn't strike a too shabby deal by expanding to Pro16
Last edited by ZuluBoy on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

Derwyn wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:50 pm The league is a farce.
Here's a suggestion, a%$hole.
If you think its a farce, ignore it, don't watch it and like the majority of the Welsh, don't go along and support it.
Dont comment on it, don't come on here and refer to it.
Go and sukk sh1t somewhere else.
No-one will miss you.
Frodder

Post by Frodder »

Well it's a lovely name for sure 👍
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

If you think its a farce, ignore it, don't watch it and like the majority of the Welsh, don't go along and support it.
Go off somewhere else
No-one will miss you.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

Trostan wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:20 pm
Go off somewhere else
No-one will miss you.
Get fućked, Spud.
Derwyn

Post by Derwyn »

The representatives of the Regions know this league is not viable. I know from my source that the PRB are actively pursuing the English.

The Celtic League was just about okay. But the move to invite every Tom, Dick and Luigi has cemented the demise of this competition. The sooner, the better.
Last edited by Derwyn on Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Trostan wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:20 pm
Go off somewhere else
No-one will miss you.
Wait what?!?? Criticisms and different opinion are not allowed on Planet Rugby forum now? Isn't this the primary point of a Rugby discussion forum? Or else it might as well be a fan website

The fact is the saffer teams joining the Pro-14 has been damaging to it. Most fans just don't give a shit anymore. Now it will be worse with even more pointless tribs to South Africa that fans aren't interested in. This acceptance of regular illogical expansion is exactly what has helped damage Super Rugby.
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Floppykid wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:00 pm Just a mess.
I find the current Pro14 impossible to follow with it's pools or conferences or whatever.

It also just makes the organisers look tacky, desperate for any and all teams to join.
This!

Tradition is underrated in sport. But it is one of the primary reasons why sporting competitions become prestigious and thus gain fan interest and attention. Constant revamping with ideas that fans aren't interested in is no way to solves the long term problems.
Jensrsa

Post by Jensrsa »

Derwyn wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:47 pm The representatives of the Regions know this league is not viable. I know from my source that the PRB are actively pursuing the English.

The Celtic League was just about okay. But the move to invite every Tom, Dick and Pablo has cemented the demise of this competition. The sooner, the better.
There are too many weak teams in the competition and the Cheetahs and Kings didn't live up to expectations. Now they hope the top SA teams will add to it at the top end.

This "Rainbow Cup" is something of a trial run it seems
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Derwyn wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:47 pm The representatives of the Regions know this league is not viable. I know from my source that the PRB are actively pursuing the English.

The Celtic League was just about okay. But the move to invite every Tom, Dick and Luigi has cemented the demise of this competition. The sooner, the better.
I agree re-the Celtic league being a distinct and better product, but I'm skeptical the English would want/need the Welsh teams.
diarm

Post by diarm »

The Welsh: "We hate the Celtic League. The standard is shit, nobody cares about it and we just want to play with the English".

The English: "We don't want you".

The Irish and Scots: "Ok, let's look to develop the league by inviting the Italians in".

The Welsh: We hate the Pro12. The standard is shit, including the shit Italian sides has devalued the tradition and history of the Celtic League and now nobody cares about it. We just want to play with the English.

The English: "We still don't want you".

The Irish, Scots and Italians: "Ok, let's look to develop the league by inviting some South Africans in".

The Welsh: "We hate the Pro14. The standard is shit, by including the smaller South African sides we've devalued the tournament and now nobody cares about it. We just want to play with the English.

The Irish, Scots, Italians and South Africans: ""Ok, let's look to develop the league by bringing in the top four South African sides and raising the standard of the league beyond question".

The Welsh: "We hate the Pro16. Inviting all these good teams has destroyed the tradition and history of the old tournaments that we also hated. The regions that we also hate and don't support won't have the money to compete with more high quality sides and we just want to play with the English.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Floppykid wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:56 pm

I agree re-the Celtic league being a distinct and better product, but I'm skeptical the English would want/need the Welsh teams.
Not this welsh delusional shite again that kids grew up in England dreaming of playing against the likes of Neath and Swansea
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

diarm wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:06 am The Welsh: "We hate the Celtic League. The standard is shit, nobody cares about it and we just want to play with the English".

The Irish and Scots: "Ok, let's look to develop the league by inviting the Italians in".

The Welsh: We hate the Pro12. The standard is shit, including the shit Italian sides has devalued the tradition and history of the Celtic League and now nobody cares about it. We just want to play with the English.

The Irish, Scots and Italians: "Ok, let's look to develop the league by inviting some South Africans in".

The Welsh: "We hate the Pro14. The standard is shit, by including the smaller South African sides we've devalued the tournament and now nobody cares about it. We just want to play with the English.

The Irish, Scots, Italians and South Africans: ""Ok, let's look to develop the league by bringing in the top four South African sides and raising the standard of the league beyond question".

The Welsh: "We hate the Pro16. Inviting all these good teams has destroyed the tradition and history of the old tournaments that we also hated. The regions that we also hate and don't support won't have the money to compete with more high quality sides and we just want to play with the English.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Surely it will be a good thing to have Vermeulen, Kitshoff, Kolisi , Du Toit and others playing down Rodney Parade.
Inch high hogs eye

Post by Inch high hogs eye »

Frodder wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:17 pm Well it's a lovely name for sure 👍
I think the marketeers have really bungled this one...
BokJock

Post by BokJock »

diarm wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:06 am The Welsh: "We hate the Celtic League. The standard is shit, nobody cares about it and we just want to play with the English".

:lol:

Great post
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :lol: :lol:

For me the ideal would be that Welsh would quit moaning and try a bit harder in the league. Everyone needs to take a reality check and realise that if we have a small number of teams supplying a national team (which pays the way of other rugby), then the league is going to have a significant number of games without the 'stars'. You can go the France/England route and spread them over more teams (so the hit from the international games is on average lower per side) and/or fill with SH retirees, journeymen, Pacific Islanders and the occasional marquee Saffer.

I wasn't crazy about the idea of the Italians joining from an identify perspective (tradition would have suggested something with the French would have made sense), but they needed a rugby outlet and I supported the greater good. To be fair to them, given their resources I think they've made a decent stab at things - when you look at where their international team is, I'd argue their club sides are arguably better.

The Cheetahs and Kings joining always looked opportunistic to me, but if it was a necessary precursor to a meaningful engagement with the best SA sides now, then I'll suck that up.

Also, anything this season has to be filtered through the lens of the pandemic, so I'd cut them some slack. Excluding fixture backlogs the sides still have another 8 games to play, plus another 2 rounds of HEC action. There are 14 weeks from now till the end of march, during which there are the above 10 games to play plus 5 6N games, plus the final of the (curtailed) Pro 12, so we're going to see some significant fixture overlap. In fact I'm not sure how many more Pro 12 games the top players are going to play, probably only 2 or 3 I'd guess.
As we move into the new competition in April, there will be 4 weekends set aside for the HEC, plus this new competition. Again, the top players will have played probably close to 20 games (maybe more) by the time it kicks off - I can't see them playing too many more games with a Lions tour on the horizon. Am I correct in thinking that the Saffa-based players won't have played at all until this competition starts? Hardly ideal preparation for them leading into a Lions tour!
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

It is entirely appropriate that the post of the year should come this late in the year. :thumbup:
ZuluBoy

Post by ZuluBoy »

DeDoc wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:44 am [quote="diarm
Am I correct in thinking that the Saffa-based players won't have played at all until this competition starts?
Perhaps other Saffers can answer you better but I know the Currie Cup final is the 23 rd of January
That leave Saffer teams with Feb and Mar but seeing the restrictions on flights and quaranteen requirements I foresee some SA teams might go over to Europe before the competition starts
Last edited by ZuluBoy on Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nardol

Post by nardol »

I think the Welsh should play the English.

Defeating Ealing and Jersey would be a huge achievement.
DeDoc

Post by DeDoc »

nardol wrote: Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:37 pm I think the Welsh should play the English.

Defeating Ealing and Jersey would be a huge achievement.
One step at a time. Focus on the likes of London Scottish before taking on the might of a whole island with its parliament and everything. :nod: