Peleton alternatives

All things Rugby
inactionman

Peleton alternatives

Post by inactionman »

We stopped by sister in laws and she's got the fulfat peleton exercise kit, and whilst I'm impressed and quite tempted to get a bike I don't want to part with over £2k and still need to pony up for a subscription at £39 a month - especially if we're going to keep our David Lloyd subscription post lock down.

We're hopefully on way to being parents so some form of housebound exercise - which isn't based around chasing infants - is looking increasingly attractive.

Has anyone tried any of the less extortionate alternatives, like nordic or zwift? Happy to look at things other than bikes but really not a fan of treadmills.

Any insights greatly appreciated
carlos_c

Re: Peleton alternatives

Post by carlos_c »

you can use an apple watch and use applel fit - although you don't get the live competative option

just get a road bike and a trainer and away you go

https://www.forbes.com/sites/andrewwill ... l-peloton/
Pole

Post by Pole »

Get an Assault Bike... Fucken Devil of Cardio!
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Had this conversation with my brother on Xmas day.

I got a turbo and Zwift in September. Absolutely love it, cracking piece of kit. Not the same as being out in the real world obviously but great for wet-weather training. I would be out on my bike for a couple of hours from 5am in the summer to avoid traffic and to get back before work etc., but obviously can’t do that in the winter. I really enjoy the social side of it as well. Have a few mates also on it and we’d do long races every Saturday and work as a team to pick off other riders.

I think it boils down to whether or not you are actually into cycling or if you are into gym classes. Zwift if you are cyclist and Peleton if you prefer gym classes.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

I mostly cycle in the summer and run in the winter. The idea of indoors cardio seems like hell on earth to me
DOB

Post by DOB »

I’ve told quite a few peloton-adopting friends now that a road bike + smart trainer + Zwift subscription is about the same price as a peloton, plus you then actually have a bike that you can ride to the shops.

Kudos to peloton, though. They’ve put together an updated version of the old exercise bike, and built a whole social media infrastructure with it. It’s a very 21st century business model and they appear to be making it work. Even if only a small number of the peloton riders actually ever ride a real bike on the road, it’ll be a good thing overall for us cyclists.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I now have a Second hand spin bike and do YouTube spin classes. They even have some fanny to look at.

I did have a concept rower then a ski erg, just couldn’t get on with either.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:22 pm I mostly cycle in the summer and run in the winter. The idea of indoors cardio seems like hell on earth to me
I have the turbo trainer set up on the back deck. The “winters” here are mild enough that even my “indoor” riding can take place outside. At least 2 local gyms do their spin classes outside now for social distancing (they have their spin bikes a little too close together for my comfort, but it’s good to at least see people exercising).

My main reason for riding the turbo is not having time between kids and work to actually ride much during daylight hours.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

Turbo trainer + bike + Zwift (£12.99 pm)
You then end up with a useable bike as well.

Peloton is a replacement for a spin class, Zwift is a replacement for a bike ride.
Seez

Post by Seez »

There are other apps if you want to use a turbo but aren’t bothered by the virtual reality side of zwift. Sufferfest and TrainerRoad for example. The latter is probably still the best for structured training plans and puts a data bar at the bottom of the screen so you can watch Netflix etc while training. i was a beta tester on TrainerRoad and Zwift and am still using TrainerRoad 9 years later. Only letting yourself watch episodes of something while training is a good incentive.

You don’t need an expensive smart turbo for TrainerRoad, just a turbo or rollers they have the power curve for and a speed sensor that can connect to your computer / phone / tablet.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

dinsdale wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:08 pm Turbo trainer + bike + Zwift (£12.99 pm)

Peloton is a replacement for a spin class, Zwift is a replacement for a bike ride.
The power zone stuff on Peloton isn't really what you describe at all.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

goeagles wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:02 pm
dinsdale wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:08 pm Turbo trainer + bike + Zwift (£12.99 pm)

No but ftp/zone based workouts are pretty straightforward and all the main cycling/training apps (trainerroad, zwift, sufferfest) do it much better if you have a smart trainer.

Peloton is a really good spin bike and if you like spin classes then it's great to be able to do them at home - I know plenty of people who use them. However if you actually like cycling, zwift (or similar) with a smart trainer and a decent bike is a lot better value.
towny

Post by towny »

Pfft. I don't know how anyone can fall for these fads. I don't worry about any of this crap and just focus on old school calisthenics, an ab-roller and copious amounts of creatine.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Ta all for comments.

Anything to look out for feature wise from turbo trainer? Conscious I'm not a gym bunny so don't need top end kit, but would prefer to avoid having to upgrade if I go too basic

Stupid question perhaps, but can you use mountain bikes on turbo trainer? I ask as my road bike is in storage and both my wife and I have mountain bikes in shed - I can pick up my road bike once covid nonsense behind us, but think I'd have to change cassettes to go from road to mtb? It would be cheaper than peleton to get my wife a road bike (perhaps may go cyclo-cross) and a turbo trainer but i'll not be able to collect my road bike until summer

Also, I've seen YouTube clips where the cycling app is up on a TV, how us this done? Is it just casting from phone/tablet? Missus in particular can only get motivated if can watch a show whilst exercising, not sure if better to get a stand for tablet for exercise and just watch TV. Not really that important but useful to know.
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

dinsdale wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:42 am

No but ftp/zone based workouts are pretty straightforward and all the main cycling/training apps (trainerroad, zwift, sufferfest) do it much better if you have a smart trainer.

Peloton is a really good spin bike and if you like spin classes then it's great to be able to do them at home - I know plenty of people who use them. However if you actually like cycling, zwift (or similar) with a smart trainer and a decent bike is a lot better value.
I’ve got a peloton bike. I’ve had it for 14 or so months. Absolutely loving it. I’ve missed probably less than 10 days of doing something on it since I got it. I’d never ever go to a gym and do a spin class. I have a mountain bike that I’ve not touched for ages. I’ve done 530 odd rides mostly doing the FTP rides. I got it after giving the running away because of a bung knee.

Wife uses it all the time and is now quite keen on getting the tread that they’ve released.

The thought of a proper bike on a roller and a you tube video doesn’t appeal. For me the ability to keep a history, progress, different types of classes, different instructors makes it worthwhile for me.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:36 pm

I’ve got a peloton bike. I’ve had it for 14 or so months. Absolutely loving it. I’ve missed probably less than 10 days of doing something on it since I got it. I’d never ever go to a gym and do a spin class. I have a mountain bike that I’ve not touched for ages. I’ve done 530 odd rides mostly doing the FTP rides. I got it after giving the running away because of a bung knee.

Wife uses it all the time and is now quite keen on getting the tread that they’ve released.

The thought of a proper bike on a roller and a you tube video doesn’t appeal. For me the ability to keep a history, progress, different types of classes, different instructors makes it worthwhile for me.
I thought you could do that though the various apps for turbo trainers anyway?

There is something attractive about having a off-the-shelf system like peloton, but its quite bulky and seems pricey for what it is.
dinsdale

Post by dinsdale »

inactionman wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:26 pm Ta all for comments.

Anything to look out for feature wise from turbo trainer? Conscious I'm not a gym bunny so don't need top end kit, but would prefer to avoid having to upgrade if I go too basic
Depends on budget but an interactive trainer is the thing to look for. Wheel off are better than wheel on but more expensive. The 'interactive' bit means that cycling apps such as Zwift can control the resistance of the trainer to simulate going up/down hills. Beyond that, the differences are mostly what gradient they can simulate, how accurate they are and how much power they can handle.
inactionman wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:26 pm Stupid question perhaps, but can you use mountain bikes on turbo trainer? I ask as my road bike is in storage and both my wife and I have mountain bikes in shed - I can pick up my road bike once covid nonsense behind us, but think I'd have to change cassettes to go from road to mtb? It would be cheaper than peleton to get my wife a road bike (perhaps may go cyclo-cross) and a turbo trainer but i'll not be able to collect my road bike until summer
On a wheel off trainer - maybe. They are usually designed for specific numbers of gears on the cassette. On a wheel on trainer probably yes, just change the tyre - also check supported wheel sizes.
inactionman wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:26 pm Also, I've seen YouTube clips where the cycling app is up on a TV, how us this done? Is it just casting from phone/tablet? Missus in particular can only get motivated if can watch a show whilst exercising, not sure if better to get a stand for tablet for exercise and just watch TV. Not really that important but useful to know.
Apple TV seems to be the most common (cheapest) platform for running Zwift but yes, just cast to a TV or plug in to the device you are using. Personally I just have an iPad on the handlebars. I may add a bigger screen one day.

I don't watch shows while riding - I listen to music and chat to other people I am riding with on Zwift. I have found group rides very motivating and sociable.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

Just for info, I spoke to a colleague who played rugby to a decent standard and he recommended a wattbike.

It ain't cheap, but cheaper than Peloton, UK made and used by all sorts of professional athletes. Lead time is, sod's law, about 1/4 year.

His view was the peloton bike itself is worth maybe £500 and it's really the brand, connectivity and community you're paying for. I hate people so happy to avoid that cost. To be fair, his view on the quality of peloton may be a little bit reactionary, and I'm not exactly a discerning professional athlete myself.

Still not bitten the bullet, I was a bit seduced by the wattbike but not huge point buying a lockdown exercise machine if it will <tempts fate> only be delivered after lockdown.
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:36 pm

530 is impressive, especially after only 14 months; I'm an early adopter (had one for maybe 4 years) and have done about 350 (but in my defence I work[ed] away from home 4 days/ week and try to get to the gym 3-4 times/ week for exercise too). About to move out of my apartment and into a new house with lots of space, so will start doing some floor classes too
DOB

Post by DOB »

Does Peloton count your warm-up and cool-down as individual rides? My Strava would be a lot more impressive if I counted the traffic-dodging to and from the City Limits as separate from the actual riding up and down hills and dales once out in the country.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

DOB wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:03 pm Does Peloton count your warm-up and cool-down as individual rides? My Strava would be a lot more impressive if I counted the traffic-dodging to and from the City Limits as separate from the actual riding up and down hills and dales once out in the country.
Who knows and who cares. What it does do is provide lots of funny moments on strava with titles like “30minute hard ride with Randy”
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Just for info, I spoke to a colleague who played rugby to a decent standard and he recommended a wattbike.
Yeah we use these to compliment rowing training when not on an erg.

That said, a Concept 2 will cost about £850
Azlan Roar

Post by Azlan Roar »

inactionman wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:43 pm Peleton alternatives?
Beer and burgers.
goeagles

Post by goeagles »

DOB wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:03 pm Does Peloton count your warm-up and cool-down as individual rides? My Strava would be a lot more impressive if I counted the traffic-dodging to and from the City Limits as separate from the actual riding up and down hills and dales once out in the country.
Depends how you define warm up and cool down. They have specific warm up and cool down rides that would be individual rides but then all of the actual workouts on peloton have built in warm up and cool down periods too, that do count as part of the ride. A 45 minute power zone class might be structured something like 12 min warm up, 32 min work, 1 min cool down.
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:21 am Who knows and who cares. What it does do is provide lots of funny moments on strava with titles like “30minute hard ride with Randy”
:lol:
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

goeagles wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:10 pm
Depends how you define warm up and cool down. They have specific warm up and cool down rides that would be individual rides but then all of the actual workouts on peloton have built in warm up and cool down periods too, that do count as part of the ride. A 45 minute power zone class might be structured something like 12 min warm up, 32 min work, 1 min cool down.
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:21 am Who knows and who cares. What it does do is provide lots of funny moments on strava with titles like “30minute hard ride with Randy”
They always say that the 1 minute cool down isn’t enough and you should do the additional 5 or 10 minute specific cool down rides. I tend to do a cool down ride and/or stretch if I’ve done > 30m rides. 90 minute ones I’ll almost always do a 10 minute cool down afterwards.

I’m on the bike doing a 30 minute minimum ride 6 days out of seven and then usually do something light on that rest day. Works for me. I’m delighted with it and given the choice, even with the cost, would buy it again.
Balls Out!

Post by Balls Out! »

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:40 pm
goeagles wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:10 pm
They always say that the 1 minute cool down isn’t enough and you should do the additional 5 or 10 minute specific cool down rides. I tend to do a cool down ride and/or stretch if I’ve done > 30m rides. 90 minute ones I’ll almost always do a 10 minute cool down afterwards.

I’m on the bike doing a 30 minute minimum ride 6 days out of seven and then usually do something light on that rest day. Works for me. I’m delighted with it and given the choice, even with the cost, would buy it again.
Speaking as a far less disciplined user - I too am delighted with it and would buy again. It was already great for somewhere like here in Boston which can be snowbound and the last thing you want to do is go outside to exercise. Now with gyms mostly closed, and being super time poor and deskbound because of zoom calls morning, noon, and night - it's a godsend
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Going to pick up a Wahoo Kickr Core today. Brisbane heat is killing me at the moment and I couldn't be bothered getting up at 5am. The idea of doing Zwift training/racing in aircon appeals to me.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Nearly vomited after a Zwift sprint training session today. I'm addicted already.
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

After umming and ahhing I'm pretty set of the wattbike - the missus has shown progressively stiffer opposition to the thought of wheeling muddy bikes onto a turbo trainer in front of the TV.

The one bugger is the wait list is 15 weeks, but pretty much any decent bike or trainer is out of stock.

Zwift looks good fun, can't wait to give it a go.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

We bought a Keiser M3i Spin bike at the start of lockdown. I wouldn't have effort done much spinning but figured it was a good idea with lockdown and our Peloton is in the States. You aren't able to get them to Ireland so decided on this as an alternative, casting the Pelo to a screen. Ended up using it a lot more than I had thought, it's a godsend having some free weights at home along with this, particularly in lockdown in January.
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

Bought a Tunturi spin bike in Nov. Can't be linked to anything bar my lardarse. Have come up with spotify playlists to suit various cadences and built a solid routine of one day on, one day off, session varying from 30-45-60 minute spins. 15 minute segments, with sprints incorporated.

Over Feb/Mar the intention is to bump the minimum spin up to 45', the intermediate to 1'15" and the long one to 1'45". Feeling all the better for it. Pleasing how relatively easy the early gains are, but fully aware of the folly of delusion. Low bar and all that...

The carrot at end of stick is that if I've stuck to the routine by June; then I'll look at something with a direct drive and online linking. Or look at adding a Concept II erg and taking exercise to daily (the latter more likely, as young lad is a rower and we can both use).

IF.
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

RGT is a good alternative to Zwift and you get a lot of features for free
inactionman

Post by inactionman »

I'll just leave this here:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/19/us/p ... e=Homepage

Glad to see it's got a user community amongst geriatric Irishmen.