Re: Bloody weather

Post by fatman »

Boobs not Moobs

Post by Boobs not Moobs »

fatman wrote:and about to get worse..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weath ... hours.html
I just spotted that and was about to C&P the first part. :P
Forecasters said “power showers” hammered many parts over the weekend, with lightning and mid-air tornadoes – narrow funnel clouds stretching below thunderstorms – reported in Lincolnshire and East Anglia.

The Met Office forecast heavy rain today and torrential downpours and gales on Wednesday and Thursday.

There were warnings of localised flooding in the south and more than an inch of rain today, with close to an inch on Wednesday. Parts face two inches’ rain, their usual total for the whole of April, in just 72 hours.

The Environment Agency will consider flood warnings, but said downpours have no impact on the drought. Experts say rain has been sucked up by thirsty plants, evaporated or run off rock-hard soil.

April, set to be the wettest since 2000, has already seen 55mm of rain – more than the 54mm average for the whole month.
theo

Post by theo »

And they expect us to comply with a hosepipe ban. (not that you need to use your hose at the moment).
fatman

Post by fatman »

then snow in may

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weath ... edict.html

I miss global warming it was much nicer than climate change
Petros

Post by Petros »

April showers!

just because we have had summer in April for the past 2 years.
easyray

Post by easyray »

Petros wrote:April showers!

just because we have had summer in April for the past 2 years.
We got it in March this year, so it's now pissing down in our new summertime of April.

Broke weather :(
Boobs not Moobs

Warning for Londoners if it isn't raining where you are I'm sorry but I'm heading outside now and I can guarantee within 5mins it's going to start pissing it down. Sorry.
Poephol

Post by Poephol »

i received an email from tesco, subject was 'get ready for the great british summer, dvd's £5'. inadvertant, but i laughed.
Red Chopper

Post by Red Chopper »

fatman wrote:then snow in may

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weath ... edict.html

I miss global warming it was much nicer than climate change
Yeh right, two words - ''BBQ Summer'' . They struggle to get the forecast right for 48hrs in advance. Any further is a complete lottery and they're wrong as often as they're right. :roll:
Glaston

Post by Glaston »

Had a cracking day yesterday down nr Shoreham, bit windy for a BBQ but otherwise pretty good.
Perfect start to the day on Saturday too, horizon to horizon blue sky in the Westcountry.

Bit of rain during the week is fine.
The Mute

Post by The Mute »

theo wrote:

And they expect us to comply with a hosepipe ban. (not that you need to use your hose at the moment).
Do you actually understand how drought works? A week or two of rain will not offset the ridiculously dry autumn, winter and spring we had.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

The Mute wrote:
theo wrote:

Do you actually understand how drought works? A week or two of rain will not offset the ridiculously dry autumn, winter and spring we had.

Well quite dry anyway.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Just getting light in the east and I see it is going to be another cloudless, windless day. Ho hum.
Boobs not Moobs

After a days break the weather is back to pissing it down all day. :(
Insane_Homer

Post by Insane_Homer »

Forecasters said “power showers” hammered many parts over the weekend, with lightning and mid-air tornadoes – narrow funnel clouds stretching below thunderstorms – reported in Lincolnshire and East Anglia.

The Met Office forecast heavy rain today and torrential downpours and gales on Wednesday and Thursday.

There were warnings of localised flooding in the south and more than an inch of rain today, with close to an inch on Wednesday. Parts face two inches’ rain, their usual total for the whole of April, in just 72 hours.

The Environment Agency will consider flood warnings, but said downpours have no impact on the drought. Experts say rain has been sucked up by thirsty plants, evaporated or run off rock-hard soil.

April, set to be the wettest since 2000, has already seen 55mm of rain – more than the 54mm average for the whole month.
Worst drought ever, FACT!
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

I love the rain :P

Especially when it rains at night. It's really good to sleep to :D
croyals

Post by croyals »

I am really pissed off. This weather is just awful and I honestly can't see how I'll get in a cricket match before mid-May.
Bill

Post by Bill »

The metoffice 3 month forecast :lol:
SUMMARY - PRECIPITATION:

The forecast for average UK rainfall slightly favours drier-than-average conditions for April-May-June as a whole, and also slightly favours April being the driest of the 3 months.

With this forecast, the water resources situation in southern, eastern and central England is likely to deteriorate further during the April-May-June period.

The probability that UK precipitation for April-May-June will fall into the driest of our five categories is 20-25% whilst the probability that it will fall into the wettest of our five categories is 10-15% (the 1971-2000 climatological probability for each of these categories is 20%).
croyals

Post by croyals »

Bill wrote:The metoffice 3 month forecast :lol:
SUMMARY - PRECIPITATION:

The forecast for average UK rainfall slightly favours drier-than-average conditions for April-May-June as a whole, and also slightly favours April being the driest of the 3 months.

With this forecast, the water resources situation in southern, eastern and central England is likely to deteriorate further during the April-May-June period.

The probability that UK precipitation for April-May-June will fall into the driest of our five categories is 20-25% whilst the probability that it will fall into the wettest of our five categories is 10-15% (the 1971-2000 climatological probability for each of these categories is 20%).
:lol:

Well I guess that gives me hope that the current long term forecast is wrong, though if the Met Office is correct once it will be when the forecast is miserable
TranceNRG

Post by TranceNRG »

SUMMARY - PRECIPITATION:

They alway seem to get the long term forecasts wrong.
fisgard792

Post by fisgard792 »

every day of rain for you mouthies = less you will have to pay the jocks for their water
The Man Without Fear

Post by The Man Without Fear »

The Times said today even with all the rain we've had we've still only "filled" 7% of the shortfall.
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:Image
Pfff, not only is the weather shite in Dalston but some f**king Hackney council organised music 'event' (mostly dub, karaoke and dub karaoke) has been making the floor vibrate since 11am. We're on the 4th floor.

Wankers.
jammy donut

Post by jammy donut »

well, i had sun in edinburgh yesterday and even today at 6am. not a drop in sight.......
suonish

Post by suonish »

TranceNRG wrote:
SUMMARY - PRECIPITATION:

They alway seem to get the long term forecasts wrong.
You can't predict long term weather with a million supercomputers, way too many variables. I ignore anything longer than ten days, and am highly suspicious of anything over three. That said, my Grandad could accurately predict a whole season in advance, pity he's not around anymore.

I'm waiting for the water companies to tell us it was 'the wrong kind of rain to fill reservoirs' that it 'ran off the dry ground too quickly' or something. This wet period must be ruining their plans.
Boobs not Moobs

jammy donut wrote:well, i had sun in edinburgh yesterday and even today at 6am. not a drop in sight.......
Hello Jammy, been lurking?

Went out in the end, needed some fresh air. Got wet, didn't stop raining for a mo. Came home bedgraggled despite brolly. Saw people out and about it flipflops. I had my supersnug merrell winter boots on.
suonish

Post by suonish »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:
jammy donut wrote:well, i had sun in edinburgh yesterday and even today at 6am. not a drop in sight.......

Went out in the end, needed some fresh air. Got wet, didn't stop raining for a mo. Came home bedgraggled despite brolly. Saw people out and about it flipflops. I had my supersnug merrell winter boots on.
Cool, I also have Merrell winter boots, I never see anyone else wearing them. Can't understand why, as they're as comfortable as a pair of runners. £50 as well, IIRC.
Clanger

Post by Clanger »

After a week of torrential rain, tomorrow is forecast to be the wettest day of the year so far :uhoh:
Boobs not Moobs

suonish wrote:
Boobs not Moobs wrote:

Cool, I also have Merrell winter boots, I never see anyone else wearing them. Can't understand why, as they're as comfortable as a pair of runners. £50 as well, IIRC.
Got these ones. Paid about £45 as they were ex display but in perfect condition. http://www.merrell.com/UK/en-GB/Product ... mensions=0
jammy donut

Post by jammy donut »

Boobs not Moobs wrote:

been on the scotland tour with my boy, back this morning. fantastic time was had by all. nice to be back in scottie-land after all these years. bit miffed that half of princes street is cut off due to the tram works, bit ugly right now,but all good.
musefreek

Post by musefreek »

it's even worse today. oh dear.
troglodiet

Post by troglodiet »

Just got back from the Eastern Freestate, where it can get, and has been these last 3 days, rather cold at times.

Was pleasantly surprised when I got home to a nice, cloudless 28°C autumn day. :smug:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

We've had so little rain for over a year yet any time it rains a bit you guys/richards bitch and moan like it's flooding of biblical proportions
London Pride

Post by London Pride »

Sodding weather indeed, rather curtailing my plans to walk Edale to Marsden yesterday - made it over the hills, but bailed off the Penine Way about four miles early and headed for a pub in my valley for a pint and a toast of my aching feet in front of the roaring fire. Have experienced sideways rain, diagonal rain, and the odd vertical downpour - and the wind was so bad over 500 metres in a couple of places that it knocked me off my feet.

Still, a full day on the tops is no bad thing, I guess.

Presumably it's still snowing on high ground in the Lake District? Both Skiddaw and Scafell Pike had snow on them when I was there the other week - the former to the extent that finding a spot to sit down for lunch was rather problematic.
musefreek

Post by musefreek »

Anonymous. wrote:
We've had so little rain for over a year yet any time it rains a bit you guys/richards bitch and moan like it's flooding of biblical proportions
"rains a bit"

lol. he's a funny one guys.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

musefreek wrote:
Anonymous. wrote:
"rains a bit"

lol. he's a funny one guys.
London suffering through worst drought since 1884
April 5, 2012 – LONDON – The city of London has an undeserved reputation as a rainy city, with “things to do” when the U.K. capital is wet a popular topic of conversation among tourists. But this year could see that image shattered in dramatic fashion, with much of southeast England gripped by a serious drought currently affecting about 20 million people. Restrictions on the use of water were imposed Thursday from the southeast coast to the River Humber in the north and almost as far west as Wales. By the time the Olympics comes to London in July, further controls could be introduced that will prevent aircraft, London’s famous double-decker buses and other vehicles from being washed. Other restrictions are also likely. Those arriving for the greatest show on Earth, may find a parched, somewhat grubby city. The event itself, however, will be exempt, so rest assured there will be water in the diving pool, the rowers will not in find themselves marooned and the smiles of the synchronized swimmers will remain fixed. “We have now received below-average rainfall across our region for 20 of the past 25 months, making it the driest two-year period since records began in 1884,” Martin Baggs, chief executive of Thames Water, said in a statement. “Imposing restrictions on the use of [hoses], although regrettable, is the most sensible and responsible next step in encouraging everyone to use less water so we can maintain supplies for as long as it stays dry, and reduce the risk of more serious restrictions later in the year,” he added.
musefreek

Post by musefreek »

it's been raining constantly for the past month.

"rains a bit". lol.
Clanger

Post by Clanger »

Stopped raining west of London, brightening up.