Queensland fvcked...

All things Rugby
Bindi

Re: Queensland fvcked...

Post by Bindi »

An it's over.............................................

Beer time.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Bindi wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:06 am An it's over.............................................

Beer time.
Glad you reminded me. I may have a Coopers Sparkling Ale.

And when I say 'may have' I'm being a tad disingenuous since the can is already opened and neither is it the first.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Sky News has launched war on the QLD state govt this morning, blaming Premier Palaszczuk for a decline in tourism revenue in North QLD. This is despite the fact that this decline is due to the lack of international visitors.

Sky also interviewed right wing lunatic Matt Canavan, who launched an ideological tirade against Palaszczuk, Labor, lockdowns, masks and vaccines.

Looks like Sky News has decided that the way to respond to the Washington DC insurrection is to lurch violently to the right.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

One new locally acquired case in QLD, the partner of the cleaner whose positive infection resulted in a Brisbane-wide lockdown.

Last edited by Ali's Choice on Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:20 am One new locally acquired case in QLD, the partner of the cleaner whose positive infection resulted in a Brisbane-wide lockdown.
I would assume/hope that person had been self-isolating anyway?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:39 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:20 am One new locally acquired case in QLD, the partner of the cleaner whose positive infection resulted in a Brisbane-wide lockdown.
Apparently there was a few days when he was out and about in the community, when he may have been infectious but before his partner tested positive.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:39 am
Reportedly, he had been in isolation since 7 January, that being the day Qld's chief medical officer publicly announced his partner's movements in the days prior.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

ABC using emotive wording.... bit weird (not sure what's she's defending against whom). Interesting comment on length of lockdown needed to provide a circuit break - i think they're talking about different things/have a different agenda.
Queensland Chief Health Officer Jeannette Young defends Brisbane COVID-19 lockdown as three new cases recorded
By state political reporter Rachel Riga
Posted 3hhours ago, updated 1hhour ago

Dr Young said the lockdown was needed to immediately and quickly manage the potential spread of the highly contagious UK variant.

It came into force at 6:00pm on January 8 for residents in Brisbane, Ipswich, Logan, Moreton Bay and the Redlands after a hotel quarantine cleaner tested positive to the UK strain of COVID-19.

Dr Young said the response to the lockdown was "absolutely brilliant" and rejected a suggestion by one medical expert that short lockdowns were not effective when managing a potential outbreak.

"We had to go and do something immediately, do it quickly and just get it managed," Dr Young said.

"I think that three-day circuit-breaker — is what I am calling it — just sets the framework, and the response here in Greater Brisbane was absolutely brilliant.

"I went out, people were wearing masks, people were socially distancing, people weren't going out. It was fantastic and that happened immediately.

"I do realise the absolute imposition, I understand the difficulties for businesses, but I think it has been enormously successful.

"We will now see the outcomes from it."

However, Australian National University infectious diseases expert Peter Collignon told ABC News Brisbane's short lockdown would not advantage health authorities.

"We've got to be careful with really hard lockdowns when you don't have many cases, when the track record in Australia is you can keep it under control," Professor Collignon said.

"The average incubation period is five days, and mostly it can go out to 12 or even 14 days.

"If you're going to do a lockdown to stop spread, you usually have to do it for at least 10, probably 14 days and maybe 28 days, and I don't think that would have been justified."

The hotel quarantine cleaner's partner was one of the three new cases of COVID-19 recorded in Queensland.

Health authorities confirmed the man tested positive for the virus on Monday but said the case would be included in today's count.

The man has been in quarantine since January 7, and Queensland Health has issued alerts for locations in Sunnybank Hills and Acacia Ridge.

The two other cases are a father and daughter who travelled from Lebanon in the Middle East and are in hotel quarantine.

Further tests are underway to determine if these three cases have the UK strain of the virus....
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-12/ ... e/13048732
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

What’s your problem with any of that, Greg? It seems pretty straightforward. Who’s defending what from whom, exactly?
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

guy smiley wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:18 am What’s your problem with any of that, Greg? It seems pretty straightforward. Who’s defending what from whom, exactly?
Young is arguing, contra Collignon of ANU, that the length of the lockdown was sufficient for the intended purpose.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

MungoMan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:57 am
guy smiley wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:18 am What’s your problem with any of that, Greg? It seems pretty straightforward. Who’s defending what from whom, exactly?
Young is arguing, contra Collignon of ANU, that the length of the lockdown was sufficient for the intended purpose.

Yeah, I get that. I’m just not sure about all that other stuff Greg referred to.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Everyone still wearing masks today. Most people outside are, even though it is no longer a requirement. The lockdown definitely had the desired effect.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

guy smiley wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:00 am
MungoMan wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:57 am

Yeah, I get that. I’m just not sure about all that other stuff Greg referred to.
hm... and im not sure what you're asking. Between your comment and Mungo's mine were covered.

To Mungo's point, in my view the intent of the lockdown from Young is different from the intent described by Collignon. The Q government principle appears to be hard and fast with actions to minimise infection/spread - but one of being extra cautious /risk adverse (e.g. masks in cars initially). The 3 day lockdown was consistent with this approach but for the exceptionally low number of cases (1) meant it didn't require a multi week lockdown (even in risk adverse Q).
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Just heard a news report on the ABC to the effect that it appears that cleaners at The Grand Chancellor Hotel have been a bit slack when it comes to wearing face masks.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

0 new locally acquired cases in QLD.

kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

New news from Queensland? Six cases - UK variant - quarantine hotel evacuated?

Or is this old?

At least the Indians have somewhere nice to stay..
Salient

Post by Salient »

Bindi wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:43 am Everyone still wearing masks today. Most people outside are, even though it is no longer a requirement. The lockdown definitely had the desired effect.
Aren't people meant to wear masks out in public till the 24th, give or take a day?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Salient wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:26 am
Bindi wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:43 am Everyone still wearing masks today. Most people outside are, even though it is no longer a requirement. The lockdown definitely had the desired effect.
Aren't people meant to wear masks out in public till the 24th, give or take a day?
Only in certain situations.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

0 new locally acquired cases in QLD. 4 new cases in HQ.

Really interesting that Palaszczuk has today said that the QLD govt is looking to stop HQ in Brisbane, and investigating using remote mining camps to house people who are being quarantined. Seems like a safer option to me.

MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:11 am 0 new locally acquired cases in QLD. 4 new cases in HQ.

Really interesting that Palaszczuk has today said that the QLD govt is looking to stop HQ in Brisbane, and investigating using remote mining camps to house people who are being quarantined. Seems like a safer option to me.

The ABC is suggesting, altho' without confirmation from the Qld Premier, that a large workforce accomodation facility (1,392 rooms) at Calliope is in scope.

At about 20 km from Gladstone, it's not really the back of beyond.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

MungoMan wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:46 am The ABC is suggesting, altho' without confirmation from the Qld Premier, that a large workforce accomodation facility (1,392 rooms) at Calliope is in scope.

At about 20 km from Gladstone, it's not really the back of beyond.
That would be an ideal location. Lots of access to airports/hospitals etc but much less risk than housing these returned travellers in the middle of Brisbane. I know shanky has taken immense delight in trolling this idea, boasting about NSW's HQ setup in the process, but I think this will allow QLD to increase the numbers of people we can bring back from overseas.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

0 new locally acquired cases in QLD overnight.

Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

The Yartz in Qld - alive and kicking.

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/humans- ... t-rapping/