Queensland fvcked...

All things Rugby
Ali's Choice

Re: Queensland fvcked...

Post by Ali's Choice »

Thomas wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:19 am
wamberal wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:15 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:03 am 0 new cases in QLD overnight.
It would be extraordinary if there are no other cases sooner or later.
Either that or extremely lucky.
Extraordinarily lucky?
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

Here's hoping. The economic damage of these lockdowns is immense. We had booked a couple of nights at the Emporium in South Bank, and would have spent close to a couple of grand all up. Cancelled.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

wamberal wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:14 am
Here's hoping. The economic damage of these lockdowns is immense. We had booked a couple of nights at the Emporium in South Bank, and would have spent close to a couple of grand all up. Cancelled.
Have to disagree with you on that Wambers, you’ve been inconvenienced, sure... but lockdowns haven’t hurt the economy in NZ or wider Australia at all with overall economic performance improving markedly. The cost of not locking down is potentially much greater and a look at the UK’s current situation, with the health system approaching collapse should underline that point.

It’s a dud argument not bourne out by experience.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:19 am
Yes it would be. I can't see how that would be possible given we had someone with the UK variant out and about in the community for 5 days before she realised that she was infected.

Ass an aside, testing rates seem pretty good. Just under 20K tests, which is pretty good considering our relatively low population.

The UK variant is able to spread more easily through a population. Doesn't mean every person who gets it is more infectious. Some people just don't shed a lot of virus particles. Looks like the hotel worker is one of those.

In more important news, the smoker has been fired up and I'm preparing a maple syrup based marinade for the short ribs. Will decant an extra heavy duty Noon Eclipse soon. It's about the only thing I have that will be able to tame those flavours.
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

guy smiley wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:39 am
Have to disagree with you on that Wambers, you’ve been inconvenienced, sure... but lockdowns haven’t hurt the economy in NZ or wider Australia at all with overall economic performance improving markedly. The cost of not locking down is potentially much greater and a look at the UK’s current situation, with the health system approaching collapse should underline that point.

I was not making an argument against lockdowns. I was simply making what seems to me to be an obvious point, for what it is worth. I am deeply concerned about the long-term economic effects of this pandemic, and was reluctant to cancel this little holiday because there are people whose jobs rely on people like us spending money.

It is easy for us to stay hunkered down, but it does get on my conscience a bit. Strange, eh?
massive_field_goal

Post by massive_field_goal »

wamberal wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:34 am

I was not making an argument against lockdowns. I was simply making what seems to me to be an obvious point, for what it is worth. I am deeply concerned about the long-term economic effects of this pandemic, and was reluctant to cancel this little holiday because there are people whose jobs rely on people like us spending money.

It is easy for us to stay hunkered down, but it does get on my conscience a bit. Strange, eh?
out of interest, what is that money now earmarked for?
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Almost 44 hours into lockdown. Meat temperature is approaching 70C. Foil wrap and basting to begin in the next hour.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Bindi wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:50 am Almost 44 hours into lockdown. Meat temperature is approaching 70C. Foil wrap and basting to begin in the next hour.
Mmmm ribs.

I can hear your arteries hardening from here. You magnificent beast!
Salient

Post by Salient »

So all those cafes that haven't re-opened and stores with for lease signs in their windows are just figments of people's imaginations. Not to count the extra people out of work. Our company for one has seen a drop of over 30% since the first lock down. Could you provide the proof of what you are claiming, or are you regurgitating Liberal statements again.

Since we are on the subject how many national retail companies are no longer trading, or don't they count in your distorted world view.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Salient wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:28 pm

So all those cafes that haven't re-opened and stores with for lease signs in their windows are just figments of people's imaginations. Not to count the extra people out of work. Our company for one has seen a drop of over 30% since the first lock down. Could you provide the proof of what you are claiming, or are you regurgitating Liberal statements again.

Since we are on the subject how many national retail companies are no longer trading, or don't they count in your distorted world view.
Look, I admit and am deeply sorry for all those years I’ve spent in here regurgitating Liberal statements. I accept I’ve been little better than a simple shill for Liberal policy since before the days of Menzies in this forum.

There, I said it. You got me Salient. You sharp bastard.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Come on Guy, lockdown has had a huge effect on business. Many are closed, many more are struggling. The entertainment industry is still not back to running, cafes, restaurants and bars are not allowed back to full capacity, the travel industry is dead in the water.
Jobkeeper still accounts for a huge percentage of peoples salary.

We fell in to a deep hole in the June quarter. In September and December we bounced, but we are not back to where we were. We are behind significantly on where we were as an economy.

Covid probably accelerated some industries failing (travel agencies for instance had a limited shelf life, the idea of remote working was picking up so CBD office space was not a long term good idea. But there are real people involved in these industries that are out of work now.

The argument as to what would have happened had we not shut down is a different one. Its almost certain that containment of the virus has meant we have a much stronger economy than if we did not contain the virus. The lockdowns are vital to a stronger economy during the pandemic.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

Salient wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:28 pm

Sssh. You really don't want to point out that guy smiley is making a remarkable argument. Almost as if he is advocating that we should all lock down indefinitely because that is what is good for the economy. Lockdowns build economies. Who knew?

Also remarkable that anyone could put forward such a case.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

wamberal wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:34 am

Guy needs to lie and pretend there are no tradeoffs.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

0 new cases in QLD.

That means that there have been zero locally acquired case in the Greater Brisbane for the duration of this 3 day lockdown.

However, for people who live in Brisbane they will need to continue to wear masks in shopping centres, supermarkets, retail shops, hospitals, gyms, public transport, taxis/ubers etc.

Last edited by Ali's Choice on Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Gotta say, today's restrictions are somewhat complicated. Varied rules for different areas and different sized businesses. Wearing of masks mandatory in Brisbane in certain areas. QLD Health has done a great job, but I worry that complexity is the enemy of implementation.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Day 4. Hungover. The end is however in sight.

Going to go nuts at 6pm and watch some TV or something.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Farva wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:04 pm Come on Guy, lockdown has had a huge effect on business. Many are closed, many more are struggling. The entertainment industry is still not back to running, cafes, restaurants and bars are not allowed back to full capacity, the travel industry is dead in the water.
Jobkeeper still accounts for a huge percentage of peoples salary.

We fell in to a deep hole in the June quarter. In September and December we bounced, but we are not back to where we were. We are behind significantly on where we were as an economy.

Covid probably accelerated some industries failing (travel agencies for instance had a limited shelf life, the idea of remote working was picking up so CBD office space was not a long term good idea. But there are real people involved in these industries that are out of work now.

The argument as to what would have happened had we not shut down is a different one. Its almost certain that containment of the virus has meant we have a much stronger economy than if we did not contain the virus. The lockdowns are vital to a stronger economy during the pandemic.
I didn’t say lockdown had no effect. I said the economies of NZ and Aus had shown improvement. It’s a subtle point I know, but there you go.

As for individual businesses failing, I think we’re on a similar heading there. Many were borderline without the added stress of a lockdown. Personal experience tells me many hospitality outlets run on a wafer thin margin. The reasons for that are varied of course but a major factor is oversubscription. Retail has struggled for years.

I’m not without sympathy for people facing their loss of livelihood. This is a brutal time for everyone. My faith in the efficacy of lockdowns and managed isolation policies isn’t swayed by that. I don’t see that we have much choice, to be honest.... if we want to control the spread of this virus to a point of local elimination, of course.

The alternative is obvious. Open slather and collapsing health systems.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Of course. The alternative of strict lockdowns is open slather

How silly of me.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:41 am Of course. The alternative of strict lockdowns is open slather

How silly of me.

There have been two opposing arguments over the handling of Covid here in Australia. Lockdowns, as per WA, Vic, Tas and the rest or open up and business as usual as argued by Morrison and Gladys. The open up model is fairly well represented in the UK and US where travel has continued without restriction until very recently along with normal trading.

Considering the rate of both hospital admission and the mortality in those jurisdictions alone, how would you prefer I label that other than open slather?
shanky

Post by shanky »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:54 am
shanky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:41 am Of course. The alternative of strict lockdowns is open slather

How silly of me.

There have been two opposing arguments over the handling of Covid here in Australia. Lockdowns, as per WA, Vic, Tas and the rest or open up and business as usual as argued by Morrison and Gladys. The open up model is fairly well represented in the UK and US where travel has continued without restriction until very recently along with normal trading.

Considering the rate of both hospital admission and the mortality in those jurisdictions alone, how would you prefer I label that other than open slather?
Christ, it’s a strawman-athon

Give yourself an uppercut
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Eh?

I’m advocating the use of lockdowns to control this virus. What the bloody hell are you on about Shanky?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:19 am Eh?

I’m advocating the use of lockdowns to control this virus. What the bloody hell are you on about Shanky?
He seems to be arguing against lockdowns, but he's doing so in such an obtuse way that I can't really tell.
shanky

Post by shanky »

You said the alternative to lockdowns was open slather
That’s a strawman argument
You then tried to suggest that using the US and UK as examples of what would happen if one didn’t do these lockdown approaches
Another strawman argument

Especially when there’s a perfectly serviceable example (NSW) of what happens if you have a proportionate response
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:23 am You said the alternative to lockdowns was open slather
You then tried to suggest that using the US and UK as examples of what would happen if one didn’t do these lockdown approaches

Especially when there’s a perfectly serviceable example (NSW) of what happens if you have a proportionate response
The lockdowns in the Northern Beaches were much stricter than the lockdowns imposed on Brisbane. So NSW is actually an example of how strict lockdowns can result in successful outcomes.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:26 am
shanky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:23 am You said the alternative to lockdowns was open slather

The lockdowns in the Northern Beaches were much stricter than the lockdowns imposed on Brisbane. So NSW is actually an example of how strict lockdowns can result in successful outcomes.
Correct, a proportionate response. Well done Gladys
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:27 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:26 am

So you agree with Guy Smiley? Why are you being so argumentative this morning?

Correct, a proportionate response. Well done Gladys
shanky

Post by shanky »

There was a time when he was accused of being your fluffer

Now it seems the roles are reversed

A promotion for both you, methinks :thumbup:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:33 am There was a time when he was accused of being your fluffer

I expect personal insults from you. Next you'll be making fun of my name, right? Right?

But the reality is you're completely agreeing with Guy, You just conceded that the strictest of lockdowns on the Northern Beaches was "proportionate" and the correct thing to do.
shanky

Post by shanky »

I thought it was quite funny actually

But then, I’m a witty guy.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:33 am There was a time when he was accused of being your fluffer

Wait... is this a strawmanathon?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

shanky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:37 am I thought it was quite funny actually

You are witty. And you also support lockdowns, despite initially arguing against lockdowns.
shanky

Post by shanky »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:37 am

I was originally going for a ‘logical-fallacy-athon’, which had the virtue of being more technically correct - but somewhat less snappy
shanky

Post by shanky »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:38 am

You are witty. And you also support lockdowns, despite initially arguing against lockdowns.
I support LNP lockdowns, the effective kind

Not those Greens or ALP type ones
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:38 am

I was originally going for a ‘logical-fallacy-athon’, which had the virtue of being more technically correct - but somewhat less snappy
Your sidestep reminds me of Quade Cooper.

In the later stages of his career.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:40 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:38 am

I support LNP lockdowns, the effective kind

Not those Greens or ALP type ones
Ah... like Tasmania and SA?

Hard lockdowns :thumbup:

Not your namby pamby NSW style. Good oh, we’re in agreement then.
shanky

Post by shanky »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:42 am
shanky wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:38 am

Your sidestep reminds me of Quade Cooper.

In the later stages of his career.
https://punditarena.com/rugby/smcmahon/ ... s-mud-nrc/

/thread
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Challenged about sidestepping.

Produces evidence of completely unrelated tactic.

:lol: :lol:

Sidesteps again.
shanky

Post by shanky »

They both involved use of the feet
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

shanky

Post by shanky »