The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

All things Rugby
Bogbunny

The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Bogbunny »

After the most successful and musically greatest rock album by three of the best singer/songwriters ever (Christine/Stevie/Lindsey) .... go for it.

Mr. Very Popular

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Pearl Jam. Ten.
Nirvana. Nevermind.
The Clash. London calling.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Spent yesterday evening, after the Leinster match, down the BBC 4 Bowie rabbit hole.

And I've got to say that "Hunky Dory" is up there as one of the best rock/pop albums ever; certainly his best ahead of the Ziggy albums.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

camroc1 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:15 am Spent yesterday evening, after the Leinster match, down the BBC 4 Bowie rabbit hole.

And I've got to say that "Hunky Dory" is up there as one of the best rock/pop albums ever; certainly his best ahead of the Ziggy albums.
Tim Burgess is doing a Twitter listening party of it Tomorrow, I have a fresh new vinyl for it, hasn't even been out of the sleeve yet.
Winnie

Post by Winnie »

Guns n Roses - Appetite for destruction
Pearl Jam - ten
Tesla - Mechanical resonance
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Television - Marquee Moon
The Band - Music from Big Pink
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Tool - Ænima
Pearl Jam - Ten
Soundgarden - Superunknown
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

In no particular order

Hendrix - Electric Ladyland
Led Zep - Led Zep II, IV
The Who - Live at Leeds
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall
Van Halen - Van Halen, 1984
AC/DC - Powerade, Back in Black
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Petal Jam - Ten
Deep Purple - Machine Head, Made in Japan
Black Sabbath- Paranoid
Metallica - Black Album
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Rush - Moving Pictures
The Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St
The Beatles - Revolver, Sgt Peppers, The White Album
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
towny

Post by towny »

To clarify, I am including any genre of pop music.

Beatles: Sgt Peppers, Rubber Soul, Revolver, White Album, Abbey Road
The Clash: London Calling
Rolling Stones: Exile on Main Street
Radiohead: Kid A, Okay Computer (rock?)
Nirvana: Never Mind
Kanye West: My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Phil Spector: A Christmas Gift For You (this saved my life at Xmas - may want to change in a few weeks)
Marvin Gaye: What’s Going On
Jimmy Hendrix: Are You Experienced
Beachboys: Pet Sounds
Michael Jackson: Thriller
Bob Dylan: Blonde on Blonde
Nas: Illuminati
Dr Dre: Chronic
Bruce Springsteen: Born to Run
Fleetwood Mac: Rumours
Eminem: Marshall Mathers LP
U2: Joshua Tree 😳
2Pac: All Eyes on Me
The Ramones: The Ramones
Black Sabbath: Black Sabbath
Aretha Franklin: I Never Loved A Man The Way I love You
Led Zeppelin: Led Zeppelin III, Led Zeppelin IV
Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

no love for Patti Smith - Horses?
Harveys

Post by Harveys »

New Kids on the block – Hanging tough
Mili Vanilli – Girl you know it’s true
Vengaboys – We like to Party
Kris Kross - Totally Krossed out
wamberal

Post by wamberal »

The Beatles - Abbey Road (B side)
towny

Post by towny »

Monk Zombie wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:16 am no love for Patti Smith - Horses?
I like music but there’s plenty of amazing stuff i either can’t appreciate or haven’t really heard. There must be heaps of more-worthy. I’ve missed plenty of heavy metal, blues and country. No Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, James Brown....

I seem to be limited and maybe even a little racist. I’m sure a genuine music buff would be unimpressed with my effort.

Guy Smiley will be along soon with his pompous demands for Lou Reed and Tom Waits or some shit no one’s heard of.
towny

Post by towny »

wamberal wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:36 am The Beatles - Abbey Road (B side)
You just went up 2 points with me. It’s worth saying, the A side of Abby Road is also fantastic; however i reckon they could have swapped out Maxwell Silverhammer for something else and had a better record. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not an awful song but it’s the only one that feels like a filler, and having a comedy song and a kids song (Octapus’s Garden) close to each other undermines the punch of what is a serious challenger to the greatest album of all time.

I f*cking love that album.
DOB

Post by DOB »

Winnie wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:50 am Guns n Roses - Appetite for destruction
Pearl Jam - ten
Tesla - Mechanical resonance
Just a week or 2 ago I queued up Appetite and A Day at the Races by Queen back to back.

If it had been a rugby match, Queen had the bonus point by half time. For songwriting, creativity, performance, and sheer musical invention, Freddie and his big-haired guitaritst knocked Axl and his big-haired guitarist out for the count.

GnR never, ever, rocked as hard as Tie Your Mother Down. https://youtu.be/LvB2MnIIdMw
towny

Post by towny »

Why have the English had such utter dominance when it’s come to rock bands? Plenty of countries have produced great acts, but if you had to list the greatest 20 rock bands, I would be shocked if the English didn’t have 15+ in the list. I don’t even know if the
US would have one to crack it?

Of course, individually the yanks are on top.
Sawtooth the Beaver

Post by Sawtooth the Beaver »

L&D
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

towny wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:19 am Why have the English had such utter dominance when it’s come to rock bands? Plenty of countries have produced great acts, but if you had to list the greatest 20 rock bands, I would be shocked if the English didn’t have 15+ in the list. I don’t even know if the

Ummm ... not really. You obviously favour and prefer the English bands but the US would comfortably fill at least 10 slots in a top 20 list based on sales.
towny

Post by towny »

vh5150 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:28 am
towny wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:19 am Why have the English had such utter dominance when it’s come to rock bands? Plenty of countries have produced great acts, but if you had to list the greatest 20 rock bands, I would be shocked if the English didn’t have 15+ in the list. I don’t even know if the

Ummm ... not really. You obviously favour and prefer the English bands but the US would comfortably fill at least 10 slots in a top 20 list based on sales.
Sales? Sure. They likely sell more hotdogs than the English do pies, but that’s not a great metric of quality or influence. When we are talking about ‘greatness’, what US bands would crack the top 20?

I reckon you will come up with 10+ Pom bands before the first US contender is allowed in the discussion.
vh5150

Post by vh5150 »

If you want to talk influence the IS win hands down. They introduced the Brits to the Blues after all and that led to explosion of the British Blues Boom in the 60s.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

vh5150 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:41 am If you want to talk influence the IS win hands down. They introduced the Brits to the Blues after all and that led to explosion of the British Blues Boom in the 60s.

the IS?
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

vh5150 wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:41 am If you want to talk influence the IS win hands down. They introduced the Brits to the Blues after all and that led to explosion of the British Blues Boom in the 60s.
This
towny

Post by towny »

If we want to talk ‘influence’ at that granularity we will end up with Beethoven and Bach.

I’ve no doubt the great influences for rock came out of the US Blues and then the first rock gods like Chuck Berry, but what bands would we be promoting as the greatest? That was the question.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:56 am
This
who or what is IS?
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

towny wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:32 am

Sales? Sure. They likely sell more hotdogs than the English do pies, but that’s not a great metric of quality or influence. When we are talking about ‘greatness’, what US bands would crack the top 20?

I reckon you will come up with 10+ Pom bands before the first US contender is allowed in the discussion.
There's a Mr Presley on the line for you.
towny

Post by towny »

lilyw wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:47 pm

Is that a band?

Elvis’ influence was massive. No doubt. But where are the US bands?
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

towny wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:54 pm

Is that a band?

Beach Boys (even influenced the Beatles), the Ramones, Nirvana, Pixies, Velvet Underground, The Comets, Sonny & Cher (as a proxy for Phil Spector), Grateful Dead, Eagles, Allman Brothers, The Band, CSNY, Byrds, The JH experience, Janis Joplin, ........

What's rock in any case? How much crossover between "rock" & Funk, Motown, Soul, Hip-hop? The latter being completely US dominated genres but have heavily influenced rock (e.g. Bobby Womack wrote "It's all over now" for the Stones).
towny

Post by towny »

lilyw wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:19 pm
towny wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:54 pm

Is that a band?

Beach Boys (even influenced the Beatles), the Ramones, Nirvana, Pixies, Velvet Underground, The Comets, Sonny & Cher (as a proxy for Phil Spector), Grateful Dead, Eagles, Allman Brothers, The Band, CSNY, Byrds, The JH experience, Janis Joplin, ........

What's rock in any case? How much crossover between "rock" & Funk, Motown, Soul, Hip-hop? The latter being completely US dominated genres but have heavily influenced rock (e.g. Bobby Womack wrote "It's all over now" for the Stones).
All good, but surely you know you’ve lost when you throw up Sonny & Cher as one of the great bands?

Out of the list you gave I would say The Beach Boys would crack a Top 20 rock/pop bands. Not sure why Phil Spector needs a proxy either..... is that a way to get an American into the conversation?
towny

Post by towny »

I’ll try and answer my own question - greatest US bands:
- Beach Boys
- Metallica
- CCR
- The Doors
- Buddy Holly & the Crickets
- Rage Against the Machine
- Nirvana
- Jimi Hendrix Experience
- Pearl Jam
- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
- The Ramones
- NWA
- Run DMC
- Outkast
- Fleetwood Mac*
- The Pixies

Not a bad list and I’m sure I’ve missed some, but would any crack at the Top 10? Beach Boys are a big shout. Nirvana and JHE would have if the Gits had stayed alive.

Poms In no order:
- Beatles
- Stones
- Led Zeppelin
- Black Sabbath
- Cream
- Radiohead
- Pink Floyd
- The Who
- The Kinks
- Queen
- The Smiths

Maybe the poms aren’t as overwhelmingly dominant as I claimed? Still, they know how to crank out bands somehow.
Phredd

Post by Phredd »

Fleetwood Mac originated in the UK, and has always had more UK than US members, so should be listed under UK, but with an asterisk.

Similarly the Jimmie Hendrix experience was 1 American and 2 Brits but, because the leader was American should be listed as USA, but with an asterisk.

Where should AC/DC be listed? Both Young brothers were born in Scotland, and the singer, for most of their existence, was born in England.
Puma

Post by Puma »

towny wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:55 pm Poms In no order:
- Beatles
- Stones
- Led Zeppelin
- Black Sabbath
- Cream
- Radiohead
- Pink Floyd
- The Who
- The Kinks
- Queen
- The Smiths
I'd add Genesis and Jethro Tull to that list...
towny

Post by towny »

Phredd wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:26 pm Fleetwood Mac originated in the UK, and has always had more UK than US members, so should be listed under UK, but with an asterisk.

Similarly the Jimmie Hendrix experience was 1 American and 2 Brits but, because the leader was American should be listed as USA, but with an asterisk.

Where should AC/DC be listed? Both Young brothers were born in Scotland, and the singer, for most of their existence, was born in England.
I gave it an asterisk 😎

AC/DC is Australian ffs. Their singer is dead and they’ve got some other bloke holding the fort.
The BeeGees, I’ll give you.
Mick Mannock

Post by Mick Mannock »

Monk Zombie wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:29 pm
Mick Mannock wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:56 am
This
who or what is IS?
I assumed it was meant to be US.

There were sufficient clues.

In fact you knew anyway.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

U2 only have three good albums

Auchtung Baby, Zooropa and Pop.

All their goodie goodie shit before Auchtung baby is overrated.

As for the utter rubbish that came after Pop. Awful
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

towny wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:37 am
I like music but there’s plenty of amazing stuff i either can’t appreciate or haven’t really heard. There must be heaps of more-worthy. I’ve missed plenty of heavy metal, blues and country. No Stevie Wonder, Ray Charles, Chuck Berry, James Brown....

I seem to be limited and maybe even a little racist. I’m sure a genuine music buff would be unimpressed with my effort.

Guy Smiley will be along soon with his pompous demands for Lou Reed and Tom Waits or some shit no one’s heard of.

Yeah... nah.

I don’t give a flying fat rat’s clacker.

I like what I like. You like what you like. The rest is just arguing. Who gives a f**k anyway.

David Bowie’s death was announced 5 years ago today, by the way.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

iarmhiman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:29 pm U2 only have three good albums

Seriously? You don't rate an album like The Joshua Tree?

Most U2 fans I know can't stand them from Auchtung Baby onwards. I personally think All That You Can't Leve Behind wasn't bad.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

towny wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:55 pm I’ll try and answer my own question - greatest US bands:
- Beach Boys
- Metallica
- CCR
- The Doors
- Buddy Holly & the Crickets
- Rage Against the Machine
- Nirvana
- Jimi Hendrix Experience
- Pearl Jam
- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
- The Ramones
- NWA
- Run DMC
- Outkast
- Fleetwood Mac*
- The Pixies

Not a bad list and I’m sure I’ve missed some, but would any crack at the Top 10? Beach Boys are a big shout. Nirvana and JHE would have if the Gits had stayed alive.

Poms In no order:
- Beatles
- Stones
- Led Zeppelin
- Black Sabbath
- Cream
- Radiohead
- Pink Floyd
- The Who
- The Kinks
- Queen
- The Smiths

Maybe the poms aren’t as overwhelmingly dominant as I claimed? Still, they know how to crank out bands somehow.
In the US list you forgot Iggy Pop and The Stooges.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

booji boy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:18 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:29 pm U2 only have three good albums

Seriously? You don't rate an album like The Joshua Tree?

Most U2 fans I know can't stand them from Auchtung Baby onwards. I personally think All That You Can't Leve Behind wasn't bad.
I didn't like the earnest version of U2.

U2 changed their style after Rattle and Hum. It was ingenious. They went on to create the two greatest tours I've ever seen: Zoo Tv and Popmart
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

guy smiley wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:30 pm
towny wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 8:37 am

Yeah... nah.

I don’t give a flying fat rat’s clacker.

I like what I like. You like what you like. The rest is just arguing. Who gives a f**k anyway.

David Bowie’s death was announced 5 years ago today, by the way.
Five years? Wow that time has flown by.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

The reason British blues/pop/guitar bands broke the US is the racist nature of the US music industry in the 50s. White kids never got to hear actual black musicians, bar the likes of Louis Armstrong hamming it up in Hollywood films. So when Presley came along, white, but steeped in blues and gospel, he was a shock. Similarly when the Beatles went to the US and sang black influenced music to white kids, whose nearest encounter would have been Pat Boone crooning anodyne versions of Little Richard et al, they were an utter sensation.