The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

All things Rugby
User avatar
Duff Paddy
Posts: 37472
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Duff Paddy »

1. Songs for the deaf by QOTSA
User avatar
Clive
Posts: 3218
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Clive »

In terms of Sales Led Zeppelin lead the way with Their 4th album, think its the 5th best selling album of all-time.
Eagles better it but I would not class them as rock more soppy shit country.
As for the UK leading the way, you would have to say Sabbath Purple and Zeppelin had a huge influence on Hard rock, and bands like Floyd Genesis Yes King Crimson ELP stole the Progressive crown, But I would say MC5 were the first heavy hard rock band.
Mick Mannock
Posts: 23995
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Mick Mannock »

Probably not fashionable but I might add

Bachman Turner Overdrive- Not Fragile
Pat Travers - Crash and Burn
Humble Pie - Rockin' The Filmore
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 15713
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Gavin Duffy »

The Doors - The Doors
User avatar
wamberal
Posts: 1100
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by wamberal »

A bit more Grandad rock:

Cream - Disraeli Gears
Paul Simon - Here comes Rhymin' Simon
Gerry Rafferty - City to city
Eric Clapton - Slowhand
Don Henley - Building the perfect beast.
Don McLean - American Pie (maybe the greatest of its kind)

Apologies if any duplication.
User avatar
alliswell
Posts: 10419
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: location, location

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by alliswell »

Duff Paddy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:41 pm 1. Songs for the deaf by QOTSA
Listened to it in its entirety tonight which is something I never do anymore. It is as near perfect as these things get.
User avatar
vh5150
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by vh5150 »

Plenty of US bands that would at least share a top 20 of all time list with the POMs

In no particular order and listed for either influence or sales

Guns N Roses
Van Halen
Pearl Jam
Metallica
The Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
Aerosmith
The Beach Boys
CCR
Lynard Skynard
The Doors
Kiss
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
ZZ Top
The Ramones
Nirvana
RHCP
REM
Steely Dan
Rage Against the Machine
The Doobie Brothers
Talking heads
Eugenius
Posts: 427
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Eugenius »

Beach boys - Pet Sounds

Beatles Revolver

Velvet underground the

Eno Another Green World

Iggy and the Stooges , Fun House
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 19118
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by DOB »

vh5150 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:42 am Plenty of US bands that would at least share a top 20 of all time list with the POMs

In no particular order and listed for either influence or sales

Guns N Roses
Van Halen
Pearl Jam
Metallica
The Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
Aerosmith
The Beach Boys
CCR
Lynard Skynard
The Doors
Kiss
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
ZZ Top
The Ramones
Nirvana
RHCP
REM
Steely Dan
Rage Against the Machine
The Doobie Brothers
Talking heads
Your list of US acts looks a bit, ummmm, melanin-challenged?

Maybe understandable as most of the great black acts from the US have tended to be solo artists (Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Aretha Franklin), but there are still groups like the Temptations, Chic, the Supremes, Earth Wind &Fire, Sly & the Family Stone, Public Enemy, etc) who would all belong in the list. And above all, most of the white acts there would object if you left the black ones out.
User avatar
Gavin Duffy
Posts: 15713
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Gavin Duffy »

We're talking about rock bands though, not pop.
User avatar
vh5150
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by vh5150 »

Fair comment above the black musicians/bands. But rock in the 60s 70s and 80s was vastly a white mans world.

The 2 that do stand out for me would be Sly and Family Stone and the Jimi Hendrix Experience (although there is a fair case to give them to the English as that is where they made their name)
User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 16868
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA!

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Thomas »

London Calling - The Clash
Nevermind - Nirvana
Ten - Pearl Jam
Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones
Songs for the Deaf - QOTSA
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 33220
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by guy smiley »

Yeah...

I mean, Motown never happened.
towny
Posts: 19190
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by towny »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:33 am We're talking about rock bands though, not pop.
What’s the difference?
towny
Posts: 19190
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by towny »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:59 am Yeah...

I mean, Motown never happened.
For whatever reason many of the US greats were ’individual’ acts. I would have Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and Aretha on any list, but the bands? I’m stuck on The Temptations and Jackson 5.

fwiw, I once met the Jackson 5 on my honeymoon flying back from Europe
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 33220
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by guy smiley »

towny wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:08 am
guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:59 am Yeah...

I mean, Motown never happened.
For whatever reason many of the US greats were ’individual’ acts. I would have Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and Aretha on any list, but the bands? I’m stuck on The Temptations and Jackson 5.

fwiw, I once met the Jackson 5 on my honeymoon flying back from Europe
Meeting the Jackson 5 on your honeymoon rates... somehow, somewhere :lol: I have an image of a private performance in the nuptial suite :thumbup:

As for Motown, so many of their best were session musos, guns for hire. Just brilliant artists who could roll up and rock out, then go home for dinner.

Prince always had a shit hot band, frinstance.
towny
Posts: 19190
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by towny »

guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:13 am
towny wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:08 am
guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:59 am Yeah...

I mean, Motown never happened.
For whatever reason many of the US greats were ’individual’ acts. I would have Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and Aretha on any list, but the bands? I’m stuck on The Temptations and Jackson 5.

fwiw, I once met the Jackson 5 on my honeymoon flying back from Europe
Meeting the Jackson 5 on your honeymoon rates... somehow, somewhere :lol: I have an image of a private performance in the nuptial suite :thumbup:

As for Motown, so many of their best were session musos, guns for hire. Just brilliant artists who could roll up and rock out, then go home for dinner.

Prince always had a shit hot band, frinstance.
Sadly, they were just old men. Except Jermaine, who was still somehow 25 - he spent hours posing pics with anyone who’d ask. Still, I was cool. 😎

That’s the thing about the yanks - the great individuals often had kick-arse bands with them that weren’t part of the ‘name’. Prince’s band is a great shout, but you could go back to Elvis whose band had big influence in rock music, and it wasn’t all due to him. Dylan’s band - can’t remember their name - was good enough to gain recognition and even spin off and have success without the main man up front.

I feel this is cultural - something about the USA led to more ‘individual’ acts than England. I wasn’t saying that England was more influential - my point was that they had greater ‘bands’, which I don’t think is debatable.

You speak of the session musicians - there’s a decent doco around about the ‘Wrecking Crew’, which was the loose assortment of first-class musicians in LA. You’d have to think there were others on the other coast too. I reckon being a session musician like these people would have done me. You can go be the rockstar and let me hang here and pump out tunes for Spector and Quincy Jones. 😎
towny
Posts: 19190
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by towny »

*Still, it was cool 😎
That’s how it should have read. I didn’t edit it because it was funny the way it was
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 19118
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by DOB »

How did this “Albums” thread get sidetracked to being about bands vs solo artists anyway?

And the lines are pretty vague between rock, pop, r n b, folk etc etc. You can’t have a “50 best rock albums” discussion and not talk about Songs in the Key of Life, It Takes a Nation of Millions, Sign o’ the Times, and so on. If you disqualify the Jacksons for being pop, not rock, then you have to chuck out Dylan or Simon and Garfunkel for being too folky.
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 33220
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by guy smiley »

towny wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:41 am *Still, it was cool 😎
That’s how it should have read. I didn’t edit it because it was funny the way it was
I’m jiggy with that :thumbup: :lol:
Sonny Blount
Posts: 4366
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Sonny Blount »

towny wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:40 am
guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:13 am
towny wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:08 am
guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:59 am Yeah...

I mean, Motown never happened.
For whatever reason many of the US greats were ’individual’ acts. I would have Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and Aretha on any list, but the bands? I’m stuck on The Temptations and Jackson 5.

fwiw, I once met the Jackson 5 on my honeymoon flying back from Europe
Meeting the Jackson 5 on your honeymoon rates... somehow, somewhere :lol: I have an image of a private performance in the nuptial suite :thumbup:

As for Motown, so many of their best were session musos, guns for hire. Just brilliant artists who could roll up and rock out, then go home for dinner.

Prince always had a shit hot band, frinstance.
Sadly, they were just old men. Except Jermaine, who was still somehow 25 - he spent hours posing pics with anyone who’d ask. Still, I was cool. 😎

That’s the thing about the yanks - the great individuals often had kick-arse bands with them that weren’t part of the ‘name’. Prince’s band is a great shout, but you could go back to Elvis whose band had big influence in rock music, and it wasn’t all due to him. Dylan’s band - can’t remember their name - was good enough to gain recognition and even spin off and have success without the main man up front.
😎
The Band

And they were a hell of a lot more than Dylan's backing band both before and after working with him.

None of you cretins have them in your lists though.
towny
Posts: 19190
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by towny »

DOB wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:43 am How did this “Albums” thread get sidetracked to being about bands vs solo artists anyway?

And the lines are pretty vague between rock, pop, r n b, folk etc etc. You can’t have a “50 best rock albums” discussion and not talk about Songs in the Key of Life, It Takes a Nation of Millions, Sign o’ the Times, and so on. If you disqualify the Jacksons for being pop, not rock, then you have to chuck out Dylan or Simon and Garfunkel for being too folky.
I don’t think there is any difference between rock, pop, etc.
it’s all popular music. I will concede that jazz is different but that’s about it.
towny
Posts: 19190
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by towny »

Sonny Blount wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:10 am
towny wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:40 am
guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:13 am
towny wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:08 am
guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:59 am Yeah...

I mean, Motown never happened.
For whatever reason many of the US greats were ’individual’ acts. I would have Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and Aretha on any list, but the bands? I’m stuck on The Temptations and Jackson 5.

fwiw, I once met the Jackson 5 on my honeymoon flying back from Europe
Meeting the Jackson 5 on your honeymoon rates... somehow, somewhere :lol: I have an image of a private performance in the nuptial suite :thumbup:

As for Motown, so many of their best were session musos, guns for hire. Just brilliant artists who could roll up and rock out, then go home for dinner.

Prince always had a shit hot band, frinstance.
Sadly, they were just old men. Except Jermaine, who was still somehow 25 - he spent hours posing pics with anyone who’d ask. Still, I was cool. 😎

That’s the thing about the yanks - the great individuals often had kick-arse bands with them that weren’t part of the ‘name’. Prince’s band is a great shout, but you could go back to Elvis whose band had big influence in rock music, and it wasn’t all due to him. Dylan’s band - can’t remember their name - was good enough to gain recognition and even spin off and have success without the main man up front.
😎
The Band

And they were a hell of a lot more than Dylan's backing band both before and after working with him.

None of you cretins have them in your lists though.
Do I need to write my gags in crayon for you?
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 5856
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

towny wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:40 am

You speak of the session musicians - there’s a decent doco around about the ‘Wrecking Crew’, which was the loose assortment of first-class musicians in LA. You’d have to think there were others on the other coast too. I reckon being a session musician like these people would have done me. 😎
Glenn Campbell was a member of the Wrecking crew :nod:


The Swampers from Muscle Shoals on the East coast(ish)
User avatar
Slim 293
Posts: 5779
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Straya plum

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Slim 293 »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:37 am Glenn Campbell was a member of the Wrecking crew :nod:

Little known fact... so was Dr John for a time.
towny
Posts: 19190
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by towny »

booji boy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:20 pm
towny wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:55 pm I’ll try and answer my own question - greatest US bands:
- Beach Boys
- Metallica
- CCR
- The Doors
- Buddy Holly & the Crickets
- Rage Against the Machine
- Nirvana
- Jimi Hendrix Experience
- Pearl Jam
- Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
- The Ramones
- NWA
- Run DMC
- Outkast
- Fleetwood Mac*
- The Pixies


Not a bad list and I’m sure I’ve missed some, but would any crack at the Top 10? Beach Boys are a big shout. Nirvana and JHE would have if the Gits had stayed alive.

Poms In no order:
- Beatles
- Stones
- Led Zeppelin
- Black Sabbath
- Cream
- Radiohead
- Pink Floyd
- The Who
- The Kinks
- Queen
- The Smiths


Maybe the poms aren’t as overwhelmingly dominant as I claimed? Still, they know how to crank out bands somehow.
In the US list you forgot Iggy Pop and The Stooges.
If I include them, I’m going to be proposing Blur and Oasis for the poms. There has to be a cutoff somewhere.

Cue Guy Smiley in 5...4....3....
towny
Posts: 19190
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by towny »

The Wrecking Crew was really something else. Hard to measure their influence but their contribution is extraordinary

On a similar note, if you were a session muso for the Beatles you probably had some talent. Billy Preston was a bona fide star who got the most acclaim, even getting credited on a few songs. Eric Clapton didn’t do too bad on My Guitar Gently Weeps - even though this is Harrison’s song, Clapton’s lead guitar vs McCartney’s bass is what has made this song such an overplayed classic. Take those two out and it’s not nearly the same.
User avatar
Pat the Ex Mat
Posts: 5856
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:50 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Slim 293 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:48 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:37 am Glenn Campbell was a member of the Wrecking crew :nod:

Little known fact... so was Dr John for a time.
Leon Russell also
User avatar
Slim 293
Posts: 5779
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Straya plum

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Slim 293 »

I had a think about it, and here's 50 pretty, pretty, pretty... pretty good albums:

The B-52's - The B-52's
The Band - The Band
The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album)
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Boredoms - Pop Tatari
David Bowie - The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and The Spiders From Mars
Butthole Surfers - Locust Abortion Technician
Can - Ege Bamyasi
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Betty Davis - They Say I'm Different
Dead Kennedys - Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables
Devo - Are We Not Men? We are Devo!
Dr John - Gris-Gris
Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde
Faith No More - Angel Dust
The Fall - Hex Enduction Hour
Funkadelic - Maggot Brain
Fushitsusha - Double Live II
Serge Gainsbourg - Histoire de Melody Nelson
Gang of Four - Entertainment!
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
John Lee Hooker - Burnin'
The Jesus Lizard - Goat
Erkin Koray - Elektronik Türküler
Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
Joni Mitchell - Hejira
King Crimson - Discipline
Melvins - Houdini
Harry Nilsson - Nilsson Schmilsson
NoMeansNo - Wrong
Yoko Ono - Fly
Pere Ubu - The Modern Dance
Portishead - Portishead
Prince - Purple Rain
Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazlewood - Nancy & Lee
Slayer - Reign In Blood
Sly & The Family Stone - Stand!
Patti Smith - Horses
Sun City Girls - Sun City Girls
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
Talking Heads - Remain In Light
This Heat - Deceit
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
T Rex - The Slider
Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Frank Zappa - Hot Rats
ZZ Top - Eliminator
Monk Zombie
Posts: 4569
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Monk Zombie »

massive attack and bob marley sadly not rated
towny
Posts: 19190
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by towny »

Everyone rates it highly, but despite the obvious genius Of Brian Wilson, I just can’t get into Pet Sounds. Some good tracks but lots of..... I don’t know.
Sonny Blount
Posts: 4366
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Sonny Blount »

towny wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:34 am
Sonny Blount wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:10 am
towny wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:40 am
guy smiley wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:13 am
towny wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:08 am

For whatever reason many of the US greats were ’individual’ acts. I would have Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder and Aretha on any list, but the bands? I’m stuck on The Temptations and Jackson 5.

fwiw, I once met the Jackson 5 on my honeymoon flying back from Europe
Meeting the Jackson 5 on your honeymoon rates... somehow, somewhere :lol: I have an image of a private performance in the nuptial suite :thumbup:

As for Motown, so many of their best were session musos, guns for hire. Just brilliant artists who could roll up and rock out, then go home for dinner.

Prince always had a shit hot band, frinstance.
Sadly, they were just old men. Except Jermaine, who was still somehow 25 - he spent hours posing pics with anyone who’d ask. Still, I was cool. 😎

That’s the thing about the yanks - the great individuals often had kick-arse bands with them that weren’t part of the ‘name’. Prince’s band is a great shout, but you could go back to Elvis whose band had big influence in rock music, and it wasn’t all due to him. Dylan’s band - can’t remember their name - was good enough to gain recognition and even spin off and have success without the main man up front.
😎
The Band

And they were a hell of a lot more than Dylan's backing band both before and after working with him.

None of you cretins have them in your lists though.
Do I need to write my gags in crayon for you?
It would be helpful
User avatar
Sefton
Posts: 15761
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Sefton »

Thomas wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:57 am London Calling - The Clash
Nevermind - Nirvana
Ten - Pearl Jam
Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones
Songs for the Deaf - QOTSA
Good list except I’d take out Songs for the Deaf and replace it with Doolittle.
User avatar
DOB
Posts: 19118
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by DOB »

towny wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:46 pm Everyone rates it highly, but despite the obvious genius Of Brian Wilson, I just can’t get into Pet Sounds. Some good tracks but lots of..... I don’t know.
I love it, but it's a "Whole is greater than the sum of its part" experience for me. I wouldn't listen to Caroline No or I Just Wasn't... as standalone tracks, but as a combination with the rest, they work.

And it's a cliche, but it's an album with so many literal layers of harmonies and instruments, recorded one on top of the other, to it that you really can "find something new with every listen."
User avatar
Slim 293
Posts: 5779
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Straya plum

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Slim 293 »

vh5150 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:45 am Fair comment above the black musicians/bands. But rock in the 60s 70s and 80s was vastly a white mans world.
:?

You’re joking? :lol:
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 33220
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by guy smiley »

Slim 293 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:34 am
vh5150 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:45 am Fair comment above the black musicians/bands. But rock in the 60s 70s and 80s was vastly a white mans world.
:?

You’re joking? :lol:
:lol:

He’ll produce a spreadsheet listing the KPIs of black vs white artists soon proving his point.


I’d have Nick Cave in the 50 somewhere myself, for Dig Lazarus, Dig but only because you have to nominate an album, not all of the things.
User avatar
vh5150
Posts: 1240
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by vh5150 »

Slim 293 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:34 am
vh5150 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:45 am Fair comment above the black musicians/bands. But rock in the 60s 70s and 80s was vastly a white mans world.
:?

You’re joking? :lol:
... from a certain point of view and depending on a definition of “rock”
User avatar
Thomas
Posts: 16868
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: STRAYA!

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by Thomas »

Sefton wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:37 pm
Thomas wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 3:57 am London Calling - The Clash
Nevermind - Nirvana
Ten - Pearl Jam
Exile on Main Street - Rolling Stones
Songs for the Deaf - QOTSA
Good list except I’d take out Songs for the Deaf and replace it with Doolittle.
I'll allow it.
towny
Posts: 19190
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:53 pm
Location: Perth

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by towny »

It’s not relevant but this thread sent me into the YouTube rabbit hole and I came across this.

I fear I’m a bit of a Beatles’ tragic, but they were funny bastards. This is John and Paul being interviewed in 68 - 10 mins, where they discuss setting up an electronics company called ‘Apple’.

https://youtu.be/Qp0i90n0BP8
User avatar
mr bungle
Posts: 12708
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The greatest ever rock Albums 2-50

Post by mr bungle »

I love so much British music, Beatles would be my desert island discs, but the great American songbook, folk, blues, jazz, country, soul, R&B, rock, pop etc is simply unrivalled.
Post Reply