Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

All things Rugby
Post Reply
ZuluBoy
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by ZuluBoy »

Biggest losers from being kicked out of Super
Wish for things to normalize so they can join the Currie Cup first division again and they should have had a shot at the Currie Cup premier (sa top eight) by now after winning the first division.
Great though their A-team's win over nz in tri-nats
Go Jags!

https://rugby365.com/tournaments/super- ... rugby-cut/
Last edited by ZuluBoy on Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 29903
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Ali's Choice »

It's a shame that the Jaguares had to get booted out of SR. I wish them and their supporters all the best in the future. Their big issue is that their timezone doesn't really work for any major European or SH comp. Good on them if they can forge a future in the Americas :thumbup:
User avatar
JB1981
Posts: 7194
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:14 am
Location: NZ

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by JB1981 »

It’s a shame the Jaguares have missed out they brought some real spark to the South African conference.
User avatar
Rowdy
Posts: 2323
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Rowdy »

I've sometimes thought they could base themselves in Spain and compete in the 7/8N.
User avatar
Puma
Posts: 4025
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Puma »

Most of the Jaguares usual startin lineup, and several promising young players have emigrated to the English Premiership and the French Top 14...

The team UAR intends to insert into the SLA would be called Jaguares-XV, and would be essentially made up of some bench players and a few who were being brought up into the original squad.

The other SLA teams also include several Argentine players, from the Colombian Cafeteros, that have 13 argentine players in their squad to the Uruguayan Peñarol, with only 2...

But there's a down side to this: UAR had a 5-year contract with private investors for another team (called Ceibos, and based out of Cordoba in the centre of Argentina) to play in the SLA as the Argentine team. Last week UAR announced they were rescinding that contratc and booting Ceibos out of the SLA in order to introduce Jaguares-XV...

Ceibos' investors are already preparing to sue UAR, after sustaining the team players' contracts for an entire year during the COVID-19 interrupted season...

All of the sudden it's back to 2003 for Argentina's rugby.
User avatar
kiap
Posts: 20076
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by kiap »

Puma wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:32 pm But there's a down side to this: UAR had a 5-year contract with private investors for another team (called Ceibos, and based out of Cordoba in the centre of Argentina) to play in the SLA as the Argentine team. Last week UAR announced they were rescinding that contratc and booting Ceibos out of the SLA in order to introduce Jaguares-XV...

Ceibos' investors are already preparing to sue UAR, after sustaining the team players' contracts for an entire year during the COVID-19 interrupted season...

All of the sudden it's back to 2003 for Argentina's rugby.
¿Por qué no los dos?

7 team comp with a bye.
User avatar
Puma
Posts: 4025
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Puma »

kiap wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:57 pm
Puma wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:32 pm But there's a down side to this: UAR had a 5-year contract with private investors for another team (called Ceibos, and based out of Cordoba in the centre of Argentina) to play in the SLA as the Argentine team. Last week UAR announced they were rescinding that contratc and booting Ceibos out of the SLA in order to introduce Jaguares-XV...

Ceibos' investors are already preparing to sue UAR, after sustaining the team players' contracts for an entire year during the COVID-19 interrupted season...

All of the sudden it's back to 2003 for Argentina's rugby.
¿Por qué no los dos?

7 team comp with a bye.
Really don't know. UAR administrators have a proud history of wrong decission-making.

One chance is that it would change the financial equation of the other teams, having to travel to Argentina twice (which could've been solved by "mini tours"). The other is that probably they never even thought about that possibility.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 40439
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Rowdy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:13 pm I've sometimes thought they could base themselves in Spain and compete in the 7/8N.
the french and english clubs would never go for that
ZuluBoy
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by ZuluBoy »

a home and away promo/rele between the Jags XV and Ceibos would have been a solution
User avatar
LandOTurk
Posts: 13676
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by LandOTurk »

Rowdy wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:13 pm I've sometimes thought they could base themselves in Spain and compete in the 7/8N.
Indded. Makes perfect sense. :thumbup:

We would probably expand to a P18 to include them. :thumbdown:
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 29903
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Ali's Choice »

I'm surprised there was no interest in integrating the Jaguaes into a European club comp? They are better than any of the South African franchises. I guess the travel and time zones aren't as compatible as the South African teams?
User avatar
Luciano
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Luciano »

kiap wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:57 pm ¿Por qué no los dos?

7 team comp with a bye.
Who knows which kind of economic and legal factors UAR is considering. :?

I feel pity for the businessman that was passionate (or crazy) enough to invest in Ceibos.

I would also have preferred to keep both teams, and spread the talent pool so that there is not a sole Argentinian team that steamrolls over the weak competition. And I say this even taking into account that some of the other teams have a big lot of Argentineans inside their ranks.
User avatar
Luciano
Posts: 570
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:43 pm

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Luciano »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:18 am I'm surprised there was no interest in integrating the Jaguaes into a European club comp? They are better than any of the South African franchises. I guess the travel and time zones aren't as compatible as the South African teams?
Playing the SA teams is already quite a logistical challenge. Adding Jaguares is even more complex. Quoting some former Jaguares: "You cannot live in on a plane!" Actually, I am surprised that SR lasted as much as it did with the insanely demanding calendar.

Time zones are not terrible though: 4 or 5 hours max time zone difference.
User avatar
dam0
Posts: 2125
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:52 am
Location: Spiritual Guardian

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by dam0 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:00 am It's a shame that the Jaguares had to get booted out of SR. I wish them and their supporters all the best in the future. Their big issue is that their timezone doesn't really work for any major European or SH comp. Good on them if they can forge a future in the Americas :thumbup:
I kind of disagree with that. I used to enjoy watching rugby on a Sunday morning at about 10 or 11.
Midfieldmaestro
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:45 am

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Midfieldmaestro »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:00 am It's a shame that the Jaguares had to get booted out of SR. I wish them and their supporters all the best in the future. Their big issue is that their timezone doesn't really work for any major European or SH comp. Good on them if they can forge a future in the Americas :thumbup:
Not so sure on this one. When they toured nz in 2019 and played nz teams in Nz timezones they did rather well.They've beaten the Hurricanes 28-20 and the Chiefs 21-16 in nz's own timezone. They've also beaten the Auckland Blues in Argentina.. Lost to Crus. in the final 3-19
User avatar
Puma
Posts: 4025
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Puma »

Midfieldmaestro wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:28 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:00 am It's a shame that the Jaguares had to get booted out of SR. I wish them and their supporters all the best in the future. Their big issue is that their timezone doesn't really work for any major European or SH comp. Good on them if they can forge a future in the Americas :thumbup:
Not so sure on this one. When they toured nz in 2019 and played nz teams in Nz timezones they did rather well.They've beaten the Hurricanes 28-20 and the Chiefs 21-16 in nz's own timezone. They've also beaten the Auckland Blues in Argentina.. Lost to Crus. in the final 3-19
I think he's referring to match broadcasting times.

We're 4/5 hours behind Europe, meaning when European teams tour Argentina, games are scheduled in mid-afternoon, in order to be live at late afternoon in Europe. Same thing with SA teams...

With Oz and NZ the time difference is between 11 hours (Perth) and 14 hours (Auckland), so, with kickoff times at late evening in Buenos Aires, there were early morning kickoffs in the Antipodes, which seemed to suit some...

I think travel times and lack of decent connections (only 1/2 flights a week isn't much) hurt us the most. regarding NZ and OZ. In the end there weren't even direct flights to SA after SA Airways pulled out, and a trip to SA now takes as much as one to Europe because of the connections...
ZuluBoy
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by ZuluBoy »

Yous also had to travel forward in time whereas nz teams travelled backwards in time.
When travelling forward in time it means by the time you get there, time has moved on and less time for prep. Whereas the team travelling backwards in time had more time on hand for prep.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 29903
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Ali's Choice »

Puma wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:24 pm
Midfieldmaestro wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:28 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:00 am It's a shame that the Jaguares had to get booted out of SR. I wish them and their supporters all the best in the future. Their big issue is that their timezone doesn't really work for any major European or SH comp. Good on them if they can forge a future in the Americas :thumbup:
Not so sure on this one. When they toured nz in 2019 and played nz teams in Nz timezones they did rather well.They've beaten the Hurricanes 28-20 and the Chiefs 21-16 in nz's own timezone. They've also beaten the Auckland Blues in Argentina.. Lost to Crus. in the final 3-19
I think he's referring to match broadcasting times.
Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to.
Midfieldmaestro
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:45 am

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Midfieldmaestro »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:39 pm
Puma wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:24 pm
Midfieldmaestro wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:28 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:00 am It's a shame that the Jaguares had to get booted out of SR. I wish them and their supporters all the best in the future. Their big issue is that their timezone doesn't really work for any major European or SH comp. Good on them if they can forge a future in the Americas :thumbup:
Not so sure on this one. When they toured nz in 2019 and played nz teams in Nz timezones they did rather well.They've beaten the Hurricanes 28-20 and the Chiefs 21-16 in nz's own timezone. They've also beaten the Auckland Blues in Argentina.. Lost to Crus. in the final 3-19
I think he's referring to match broadcasting times.
Yes, that's exactly what I was referring to.
Ok. By us its something unheard of as with our 24 hour rugby chanmel we watch games from different timezones and from all over the globe whenever it suits one. They repeat the games and one can watch whenever you like
ZuluBoy
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by ZuluBoy »

Are the Brazilians in the SLA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOhPmWAtvpM
User avatar
Puma
Posts: 4025
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Puma »

ZuluBoy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:37 am Are the Brazilians in the SLA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOhPmWAtvpM
Yes,in the current form there are 6 teams from Brazil, Uruguay, Paraguay, Colombia, Chile and Argentina.

Last year's first edition was aborted after only two rounds due to COVID... Right now, with Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay's numbers still raising, it's uncertain whether it'll start.
ZuluBoy
Posts: 492
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by ZuluBoy »

Youv'e started with vaccination otherwise no chance
User avatar
Puma
Posts: 4025
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: Jaguares will come by with Americas comp.

Post by Puma »

ZuluBoy wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:53 pm Youv'e started with vaccination otherwise no chance
About 150K out of 44M have been vaccinated throughout the country so far... the only vaccine our enlightened government has managet to get their hands on is the Russian one, and only 300K doses of it...

They've promised that everyone will be vaccinated by the end of march. yeah, right... :roll:
Post Reply