6N Support Group

All things Rugby
Jim Lahey

Re: 6N Support Group

Post by Jim Lahey »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:46 am Insert your fist into the TV screen moment:

Scotland beat us in 2013 in Murrayfield. ROG in his own 22 or just outside it, tries a really stupid grubber across the field like completely flat 90 degrees to direction of play intercepted by the Scots.
Ah tbf it was pretty funny in a sad kinda way watching a ligind playing like an absolute spacker.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:07 pm
iarmhiman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:46 am Insert your fist into the TV screen moment:

Scotland beat us in 2013 in Murrayfield. ROG in his own 22 or just outside it, tries a really stupid grubber across the field like completely flat 90 degrees to direction of play intercepted by the Scots.
Ah tbf it was pretty funny in a sad kinda way watching a ligind playing like an absolute spacker.
I think that may have been his last game, or was it the Italy game which we also lost?
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

First memory - My father inviting what seemed like his entire rugby club to the house and at 6 years old employing me as chief beer delivery boy and getting yelled at by a dozen hairy arsed forwards if stepped in front of the screen.

Happiest memory - Not for the game but the atmosphere after an Ireland game in Rome where all the fans were drinking outside stadium in the spring sunshine having the craic and generally getting on like a house on fire.

Worst memory - Clerc’s try, I was in a bar in Nice at the time and the only green shirt in a sea of French fans going mental. That was a low moment

That will fukken teach you bastards memory - England game 2000, a few years after Jerry Guscott forecast that a England or France would put 100 points past a Celtic side.

Empathetic memory - At Murrayfield 2015 for that mental Super Saturday day where Wales first spanked Italy, Ireland beat Scotland and then there was that bizarre ding dong game between England and France that ended 55 -35. Turned out Sean O'Brien dislodging the ball in a try line tackle against Hogg was the difference between Ireland winning the championship on points difference
danny_fitz

Post by danny_fitz »

Worst memory - England taking us to bloody pieces in 03. By end of second half every tryscorer had a broad grin on their faces, especially Luger.
Actually I did not feel too bad. Ireland did actually show up but England put in one of the finest 80 mins of rugby I had seen and all you could do was respect what was unfolding.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

Yer Man wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:06 pm
feckwanker wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:58 am

Scotland beat us in 2013 in Murrayfield. ROG in his own 22 or just outside it, tries a really stupid grubber across the field like completely flat 90 degrees to direct of play intercepted by the Scots.
I still go into a 1000 yard stare mode when I think of that.
Yeah.

Before that moment people were questioning why we'd started Paddy Jackson instead of ROG.
After that moment, we weren't.
Was that the game where Luke Marshall threw an intercept?
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

danny_fitz wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:15 pm
Worst memory - England taking us to bloody pieces in 03. By end of second half every tryscorer had a broad grin on their faces, especially Luger.
Actually I did not feel too bad. Ireland did actually show up but England put in one of the finest 80 mins of rugby I had seen and all you could do was respect what was unfolding.
Same here. I got over that one very fast. That England team was the best side in the world and we were an up and coming team .
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

My memories of losing to that England team were a tedious grind, not because they were playing boring rugby but they were always just inevitably putting the points on the bored to get the win with little suspense.
Last edited by AND-y on Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Can we add a "greatest relief moment"

Greatest relief moment was beating in Croke Park 2007. That was one game in that stadium we couldn't lose. That fear drove on our lads to beat the shite out of them.

That must be how the All Blacks feel before every game. The fear of losing drives them.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

AND-y wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:21 pm My memories of losing to that England team were a tedious grind, not because they were playing boring rugby but they were always just inevitably putting the points on the bored to get the win with little suspense.
That's why I put the Gibbs try in Wembley as my empathetic moment. That result just wasn't expected. England were just kicking the shit out of teams bar France back then. Also the noise when he went over. Wembley full of Welsh. And Jenkins kick at the end.
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:24 pm
AND-y wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:21 pm My memories of losing to that England team were a tedious grind, not because they were playing boring rugby but they were always just inevitably putting the points on the bored to get the win with little suspense.
That's why I put the Gibbs try in Wembley as my empathetic moment. That result just wasn't expected. England were just kicking the shit out of teams bar France back then. Also the noise when he went over. Wembley full of Welsh. And Jenkins kick at the end.
As I said earlier for me that moment would be Ieuan Evans in the 10-9 win. It is my first full memory of a wales england game where i was aware of most of the laws etc, I was at the game and Wales won. I'd have to wait a while before seeing them do so again!
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

First memory - Being in the Schoolboys enclosure at Murrayfield in 1969 watching Barry John taking a drop goal and missing. I'd been going to Murrayfield for about 5 years at that point but that is the first thing game related I specifically remember.

Happiest memory - 1990.

Worst memory - Scotland losing to England 61-21 in 2017. First away trip to an international with my son.

Empathetic memory - Italy beating France in the snow, can't remember when.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

Player you hated seeing on the opposition teamsheet.
- Jason Robinson. Little bastard was just too hot to handle. Honourable mention to Martyn Williams, you just knew you'd be in for a tough day at the breakdown.

Opposition player that you could never understand why they were an international.
-Can't believe Rob Dewey had 16 caps for Scotland.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:53 pm Player you hated seeing on the opposition teamsheet.
- Jason Robinson. Little bastard was just too hot to handle. Honourable mention to Martyn Williams, you just knew you'd be in for a tough day at the breakdown.

Opposition player that you could never understand why they were an international.

- Jonathan Davies in his prime was a pain in the hole to Ireland

- Also a Scottish player. Simon Danielli
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:28 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:53 pm Player you hated seeing on the opposition teamsheet.

- Jonathan Davies in his prime was a pain in the hole to Ireland

- Also a Scottish player. Simon Danielli

Because Ulster could then boast an international signing.

Big Rob was mince, but Danielli was a decent signing TBF.
ZappaMan

Post by ZappaMan »

First memory - Ireland getting tanked at the Parc des Princes some time in the late 80's. I have a vague memory of Sella, Lagisquet, Blanco, Camberabero playing rugby as if sent from heaven.

Happiest memory - Ireland's 2009 Grand Slam from a rugby perspective - otherwise the many nights out in Rome/Paris/Cardiff etc.

Worst memory - Yep, Clerc’s try.

Empathetic memory - Gibbs' late try at Wembley in '99.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

First memory - standing outside the Dun Laoghaire shopping centre one Saturday morning with my dad and a bus with French flags attached to it came whizzing down George's Street. Turned out it was the French team on their way from the Killiney Castle Hotel on the way to Lansdowne Road. Must have been very early 80s.

Happiest memory - 2009. Absolutely tanked that weekend on my stag in Galway. And then Bernard Dunne became world champion that night. I was hungover for most of the following week.

Worst memory - Wales in 2005. Was in Cardiff with Corky and Bobcock for that match and watched us get taken apart. Thought at the time that would be the end of the good times for another decade or so. Apart from that - the late 80s and all of the 90s. x(

That'll teach 'em memory - 1993 v England. Completely unexpected

Empathetic memory - Italy beating France for the first time
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

Frodder wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 am First memory - 1976 Wales beating France. Back then all the other games were guaranteed wins
Happiest memory - 2005 grand slam (it was a long wait)
Worst memory - the 90's (just about all of it)
That will teach you - 2010, that game
Empathetic memory - 2008 v's France (our perfect 6N)

Not far off mine
First memory - 1976 Wales beating France.
Happiest memory - 2005 grand slam (it was a long wait)
Worst memory - the 90's (specifically not being able to beat Ireland in Cardiff) and humpings from the saes
That will teach you - England failing to Ire, Sco, Wal and maybe France too in the last game for Grand Slam success
Empathetic memory - either already written off Sco beating Eng in 1999 with the Stanger try, or Ireland winning the GS in 2009 - first in 60 years LOL
redderneck

Post by redderneck »

First memory - of attending a game without my Dad - Ireland beating England in Lansdowne in 1979. Was supposed to have gone to the opening home game v France but the school made a bollocks of the ticket allocation. Earlier than that, of watching Ireland play Wales from mid 70s onwards. Other opponents, not so much.

Happiest memory - the away trips to Edinburgh as a teenager and into early twenties, with teammates/pals. Just epic, epic, skites, in which the rugby was largely incidental. Which is how amateur rugby should be.

Worst Memory: March 1986, on a frozen pitch in Twickenham, in a game that should have been called off; watching Dean Richards score a hattrick of tries off the base of the scrum on his debut against us. Once you had momentum against you, no way to keep your footing. On a day we scored three tries in the backs against England - 20 points in all, which back in those days would have been enough to win most matches; watching the scrum sliding around was depressing as fcuk. Lost 25-20. I don think the bastard had to even break off the back; they were two fall-on-the-balls and a peno try. Did meet a delightful trainee (cadet?) female PC from Birmingham who offered wonderful elocution lessons. The beauty of the away trip. Even when it goes to shit, it never really goes to shit if the company is good...

That will fukken teach you bastards memory - Croke Park. England. Nuf said.

Empathetic memory - Croke Park. England. Nuf said. And, in fairness the empathy came many, many days later.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

AND-y wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:44 am
Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 am New cateogry; Your “insert your fist into the tv screen” moment.

For me it has to be the Mike Phillips “try” that should never have been.
That was awesome :lol: For it to be Irelands favourite Welshman, Phillips of all people too
I pissed myself laughing when it was given by the ref after the discussion with the linesman. POC and BOD were livid. :lol: My favourite try against the Irish though would be either of JD's in the 2011 RWC when they waved him through or after North blasted his way over the Irish centre (forgotten name) in 2012.
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

I've been watching 5/6N since the 60's.
The biggest dissapointments were losing to the welsh in the Arms Park during the 60's & 70's.
Jocks beating England in 1990 was a great memory.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

As so humourously stated by Scottie Q.
https://youtu.be/AVxkYxA-6WI?t=238
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:40 pm
Has the delivery of a born stand up :thumbup:

His try against France was another great 5N moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSzBZqhMu_I

Warning despite the good try the personnel may bring on flashbacks of 90's Wales.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

First memory - Ieuan Evans rounding Underwood to score in 93. I must have watched games before that, but that is the first time something momentous enough happened to stick in the mind.

Happiest memory - Equal between Gibbsy splitting the English defence in the last minute in 99, and beating Ireland in 2005 for the Grandslam

Worst memory - Nothing specific, but the general shiteness of the 90's still burns (Wales have either been average to shit, or they win. As such, because they've never really be 'nearly men', there's not really one singular memory that sticks out)

That will fukken teach you bastards memory - Wembly 99 again, and England refusing to take penalty kicks when they are on top, and ultimately losing because of it.

Empathetic memory - Whenever Italy win.
Yer Man

Post by Yer Man »

iarmhiman wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:12 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:07 pm

I think that may have been his last game, or was it the Italy game which we also lost?
Last game - Maddog replaced him the following week.
That was Feb 2013.

His last ever start was that RWF Q/F in Oct'11.
lemonhead

Post by lemonhead »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ytZ77KaFU

Still haven't a fucken clue what he was thinking or why to execute it right then off bad ball. The kick was supposed go to hand but he skewed that as well, then ballsed up the clearance.

Ma always said they come in threes.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

LandOTurk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 pm
Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:24 am New cateogry; Your “insert your fist into the tv screen” moment.

That was awesome :lol: For it to be Irelands favourite Welshman, Phillips of all people too
I pissed myself laughing when it was given by the ref after the discussion with the linesman. POC and BOD were livid. :lol: My favourite try against the Irish though would be either of JD's in the 2011 RWC when they waved him through or after North blasted his way over the Irish centre (forgotten name) in 2012.
It was a winger Fergus McFadden.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

feckwanker wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:18 am
LandOTurk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 pm

It was a winger Fergus McFadden.
Winger / centre (more the former) that's right. He played 13 that day.
LandOTurk

Post by LandOTurk »

AND-y wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:41 pm
LandOTurk wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:40 pm
Has the delivery of a born stand up :thumbup:

His try against France was another great 5N moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSzBZqhMu_I

Warning despite the good try the personnel may bring on flashbacks of 90's Wales.
Watched that in our local in Llanelli with my old man. The place erupted when he scored. His 5N debut, I believe, but not his first cap.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

They're not really going to cancel the whole 6N because the Frogs are trying to dodge their most likely losses, are they?
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

Rugby2023 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:43 am They're not really going to cancel the whole 6N because the Frogs are trying to dodge their most likely losses, are they?
Yes, yes they are.

The team that beat England and Ireland last year would rather avoid the risk of defeat and are simply hiding behind the fact there is a global pandemic and that England and Ireland are current hotspots.

:roll:
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

I was in Murrayfield for that Scotland match, and Rome for that Italy match. I've forgotten much about what happened on the field, but had a great time in both cities.
Rugby2023

Post by Rugby2023 »

clementinfrance wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:19 pm
Rugby2023 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:43 am They're not really going to cancel the whole 6N because the Frogs are trying to dodge their most likely losses, are they?
Yes, yes they are.

The team that beat England and Ireland last year would rather avoid the risk of defeat and are simply hiding behind the fact there is a global pandemic and that England and Ireland are current hotspots.
You have to go back as far as 2005 and 2011 to find French 6N wins in those away fixtures.

They shouldn't bother with France at all this year if they're going to play silly buggers, replace them with Georgia, or keep it to 5N. They can't be allowed to ruin the tournament.
Laurent

Post by Laurent »

Rugby2023 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:58 pm
Yes, yes they are.

You have to go back as far as 2005 and 2011 to find French 6N wins in those away fixtures.

They shouldn't bother with France at all this year if they're going to play silly buggers, replace them with Georgia, or keep it to 5N. They can't be allowed to ruin the tournament.
Quick reminder the Magnificent ENGERLAND scrapped by France Under 20's at home in extra time with a little ref assistance.

English Clubs in the not the H cup have been acting as super spreaders in France Whilst most French Clubs had been Corona free for months.

So please fudge off.
clementinfrance

Post by clementinfrance »

Rugby2023 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:58 pm
Yes, yes they are.

"Ruining the tournament". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dude, please, get your head out of your arse. You may find there are valid reasons for the decisions announced by the French Minister for Sports, like the fact we are at the centre of a FÜCKING GLOBAL PANDEMIC.
Jim Lahey

Post by Jim Lahey »

F**K OFF THIS THREAD YOU KARNTS.
This is a thread of solidarity.
Remembering great moments like ROG’s crossfield kick against Scotland or the ref shafting James Hook by blowing the whistle after confirming there was time for the lineout.
camroc1

Post by camroc1 »

Jim Lahey wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:29 pm F**K OFF THIS THREAD YOU KARNTS.
This is a thread of solidarity.
Remembering great moments like ROG’s crossfield kick against Scotland or the ref shafting James Hook by blowing the whistle after confirming there was time for the lineout.
:lol:

Nearly makes up for the Philips try.

Or the 20 mins after the 80 that the ref played until France scored a try to beat Wales ! :thumbup: