1. France to end the year at number one
2. Ian Foster to be replaced as All Blacks head coach
3. Racing 92 to finally end their European hoodoo
4. Wales’ woes to continue in 2021
5. Blues to halt Crusaders’ dominance in New Zealand
6. Northampton Saints to finish bottom but get a reprieve
7. Sevens the sport to particularly suffer in age of coronavirus

I think
1. yes. Especially if they don't travel south, but the south travels north. See also 2.
2. no. Hope so, but fear not. NZR will stand by their man.
3. yes
4. yes
5. no. Don't think so. Go Hurricanes.
6. yes
7. yes
Ted.

Re: PR's 7 Rugby Predictions for 2021

Post by Ted. »

No brainers, mostly.

I don't think the Canes have a shot show in hell. There recruitment has been terrible.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Ted. wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:39 pm No brainers, mostly.

I don't think the Canes have a shot show in hell. There recruitment has been terrible.
Well, hope springs eternal... But the point is there are 3 other teams that might have a say in that, including a Chiefs team with a point to prove, Retallick and a better coach. 8)

So I think at least 2 of their predictions will be wrong, there will probably be 1 surprise (Racing or Northampton). And, of course, the All Blacks play France in France at the end of the year which may decide #1 if both have good years.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

PR does issue some rubbish ... especially Jake.

1. For France to be first SA has to 1) play games and 2) lose a lot - given regular weighting SA, and that i don't think France are playing SA, i don't think they can be first (not enough points). SA gain / lose no points on Lions.
2. Foster will survive to end of year (if only it will take longer to replace him - 2022 at earliest)
3. No idea
4. Agree
5. Saders to win, again.
6. No idea if Saints - but yes, a reprieve.
7. Sevens will suffer - i'd like to think they may get some 'regional' comps running - e.g. NZ / AUS / Fiji / Samoa / Tonga - and/or maybe Japan / HK etc (even if they could set up camp in Aus /NZ for a couple of months and have a few rounds)
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:57 am PR does issue some rubbish ... especially Jake.

1. For France to be first SA has to 1) play games and 2) lose a lot - given regular weighting SA, and that i don't think France are playing SA, i don't think they can be first (not enough points). SA gain / lose no points on Lions.
2. Foster will survive to end of year (if only it will take longer to replace him - 2022 at earliest)
3. No idea
4. Agree
5. Saders to win, again.
6. No idea if Saints - but yes, a reprieve.
7. Sevens will suffer - i'd like to think they may get some 'regional' comps running - e.g. NZ / AUS / Fiji / Samoa / Tonga - and/or maybe Japan / HK etc (even if they could set up camp in Aus /NZ for a couple of months and have a few rounds)
It's not as bad as their 2020 World XV, but I think 3/7 WNB.

It will be interesting to see if SA's teams playing in the PRO14 will affect the performance of the national team. I suspect they may be slow starters.