Why are ozzies such porkers?

All things Rugby
Jim Lahey

Re: Why are ozzies such porkers?

Post by Jim Lahey »

I find it hard to believe the UK is so far down that list.
In NI anyway it must be higher. I’d say 60-70% of women aged 30+ are porkers, and probably 50-60% for blokes.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Jim Lahey wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:57 am I find it hard to believe the UK is so far down that list.
In NI anyway it must be higher. I’d say 60-70% of women aged 30+ are porkers, and probably 50-60% for blokes.
London seems to be a quite skinny city, must offset it somewhat
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Zakar wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:21 pm
Gavin Duffy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:11 pm I grew up watching home and away and ozzie athletes performing above and beyond what their per capita clout should have earned. All bronzed, athletic demi-gods and such like.

So why is such a large percentage of the population absolute porkers? It seems so contradictory to how people perceive the place?
Obesity is the new class divide.

Go to Sydney, and you will barely spot a single overweight person (under 50 or so)in the east or north.
That's the same across the Western World. Wealthy people generally have more access to healthy food, more access to healthcare and health infrastructure and more leisure time for exercise.

Given how urbanised and relatively wealthy Australia is though, why is obesity worsening? Especially when as a society we are getting more wealthy, not less?
flaggETERNAL

Post by flaggETERNAL »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:44 am You can eat healthily quite easily for not much money.

It's all about education, not cost.
It's not just a money thing though is it? Making a fresh, healthy meal from scratch probably takes way more time and energy. Most people, especially in the working class are probably too tired at the end of the day. Maybe that's why there's more obesity in that segment of society?
PCPhil

Post by PCPhil »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:56 am
Thomas wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:00 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:44 am You can eat healthily quite easily for not much money.

It's also about availability. I spent a week in Biloela a few years ago. Supermarket was basically empty and had fark all fresh fruit or vegies.

KFC and McDonalds had lines out the drive through and down the road.
True -but also demand. If people are not educated to eat healthily, what are they going to choose? Especially when towns like Tamworth have just opened their 3rd Maccas...... :|

Tamworth 2030:

We also have 3 costa within 1 minute walk of each other. Not our fault. It’s all the porkers from Brum going shopping then having to absorb sugar and fat to enable them to drive home.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:06 am
Given how urbanised and relatively wealthy Australia is though, why is obesity worsening? Especially when as a society we are getting more wealthy, not less?
Urbanised is really shorthand for drive everywhere.

Coupled with long work hours and commutes in most cities in Oz and it's a recipe for disaster
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

flaggETERNAL wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:17 am

It's not just a money thing though is it? Making a fresh, healthy meal from scratch probably takes way more time and energy. Most people, especially in the working class are probably too tired at the end of the day. Maybe that's why there's more obesity in that segment of society?
We didn't have the luxury of fast foods as a kid. Both my parents worked full time.

I worked extremely long hours in the past but still cooked. It doesn't take long really - every night doesn't need to be a banquet.

Besides, Macca's is bloody expensive nowadays. It isn't cheap
towny

Post by towny »

Zico wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:40 am Towny might know this one but Trans on Newcastle St. in Perth were ahead of their time. :)
I lived a few hundred metres from there for years.
Fark I miss Perth.... 😔
handyman

Post by handyman »

If people want to stuff their faces and be fat, let them. Not everyone likes healthy food and exercise.
Heymans

Post by Heymans »

Its cultural. Most of the anglosphere doesn't care about food. Price, availability etc are just excuses.
How long is the lunch break in schools in Oz?
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

booji boy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:56 am

Agreed which it why it is pointless trying to tax sugar and fast food.
Well you can use the extra tax revenue to use on education, health initiatives and health care.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

Long hours and commutes are just excuses. You can commute a lot and work long hours in wealthy areas, more so often in professional jobs.

I think it is more to do with a generation who grew up on fast food, processed food and generally lower priced food that developed bad habits. Education got many out of it but not for people who lived week to week & didn't have access to the early fitness craze. They have passed that down to their kids but being fit is now given such importance on social media that most in society should have come out of this by the time Gen Zers are parents.
Luckycharmer

Post by Luckycharmer »

Is Zambrero the mexican chain getting bigger over there? My cousin has the franchise over here.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:58 pm
booji boy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:56 am

Agreed which it why it is pointless trying to tax sugar and fast food.
Well you can use the extra tax revenue to use on education, health initiatives and health care.
Yes I'm sure the tax would be set aside and used wisely and specifically for that.

Is all the tax on alcohol used for education, health initiatives and health care?
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

It's very sad.

In World War I, the British were amazed at how healthy and strapping the young Dominion troops were. They had to order larger uniforms to fit them. The young Aussies weren't fat but rather tall, strong, healthy, and muscled. Bronzed, rippling torsos fed by lots of meat and fresh food. Big farm lads out of rural New South Wales and Canterbury answering the Mother Country's call and giving the Hun a good dishing with their super-sized physiques. They looked like Adonises next to the stunted progeny of Britain's industrial cities.

Now, a century later, the descendants of these physical specimens have turned into fat, lardy layabouts whose only experience of manly physical pursuits is watching sport on television while cramming Doritos into their mouths.

The rise and fall of a civilisation in a mere century.

:thumbdown:
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

MrDominator wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:46 pm It's very sad.

In World War I, the British were amazed at how healthy and strapping the young Dominion troops were. They had to order larger uniforms to fit them. The young Aussies weren't fat but rather tall, strong, healthy, and muscled. Bronzed, rippling torsos fed by lots of meat and fresh food. Big farm lads out of rural New South Wales and Canterbury answering the Mother Country's call and giving the Hun a good dishing with their super-sized physiques. They looked like Adonises next to the stunted progeny of Britain's industrial cities.

Now, a century later, the descendants of these physical specimens have turned into fat, lardy layabouts whose only experience of manly physical pursuits is watching sport on television while cramming Doritos into their mouths.

The rise and fall of a civilisation in a mere century.

:thumbdown:
Not sure i'd call Australia a civilisation but i can see from your perspective how it looked like one.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

flaggETERNAL wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:17 am

Energy maybe, time no. Protein + carb + a veg can all be done under half an hour once you get it down.

If you're tired you can just bang a frozen chicken breast in the oven (granted that's about 45 min) then come back in half an hour and boil some pasta in one pot and some broccoli in the other. Done.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Heymans wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:49 pm Its cultural. Most of the anglosphere doesn't care about food. Price, availability etc are just excuses.
You're probably going to get shat on for saying this but there's something to this. Eating is just something you have to do for many of us -- the obsession with healthy eating and diets is the other side of the same coin. It never really occurred to me that it was something to be celebrated and enjoyed until I met m'lady, who comes from a culture where every meal is a main event.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:37 pm
Heymans wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:49 pm Its cultural. Most of the anglosphere doesn't care about food. Price, availability etc are just excuses.
You're probably going to get shat on for saying this but there's something to this. Eating is just something you have to do for many of us -- the obsession with healthy eating and diets is the other side of the same coin. It never really occurred to me that it was something to be celebrated and enjoyed until I met m'lady, who comes from a culture where every meal is a main event.
Meh, they're are plenty of porkers in France these days as well.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:39 pm
fonzeee wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:37 pm
Meh, they're are plenty of porkers in France these days as well.
I have no data to back this up but I imagine many the world over are living a more sedentary lifestyle. I'd think that's part of it too.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Good food is an obsession in Australia, but only one held by higher socio economic areas.

Lunch breaks depend on the school but are 45mins to an hour.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Zakar wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:15 pm
Good food is an obsession in Australia, but only one held by higher socio economic areas.

By "good food" do you mean more healthy or more tasty?
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:05 pm

They aim for both-ish if the few episodes of 'my kitchen rules' I've watched are anything to go by.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Zakar wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:21 pmObesity is the new class divide.

Go to Sydney, and you will barely spot a single overweight person (under 50 or so)in the east or north.
Somewhat true but not quite correct.

The visual perception of what is overweight has shifted over the last 40 or so years. For adult males, the higher socioeconomic groups are also on average overweight... yes, even in Sydney.

Where your point does hit home is with children. It's a shameful failure for Australia.

link

Having said that, as your data list showed, we aren't alone there in the anglosphere or even the west more generally.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Both.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

Zakar wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:33 pm

Both.
Well sure nobody wants to eat bland-tasting shit if they can avoid it, I just meant which of those two wins out.

But in any case the fact that healthiness is considered an important factor at all suggests that there is a more utilitarian approach to eating that might go some way to explaining why people might ask so little of their meal that they really don't see a difference between a lovely home cooked meal and a trip to McDonald's.

I can't speak for the Aussies but I definitely think this applies to us.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Is it just inherent laziness? I mean, we all know you need to eat healthy food but fast food is...like...right there.

I often find myself openly staring at obese kids. As someone who only started to put on the pounds in my mid-30s and who has two young boys who have about 3% body fat, I see rotund children like some sort of circus exhibit. Our kids eat fast food from time to time (maybe once a week if they are lucky) and their diets could be better but they have an understanding of what's good food and what's bad food.

Letting your kids become obese is a form of child abuse.
Bindi

Post by Bindi »

Thomas wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:08 am Is it just inherent laziness? I mean, we all know you need to eat healthy food but fast food is...like...right there.

I often find myself openly staring at obese kids. As someone who only started to put on the pounds in my mid-30s and who has two young boys who have about 3% body fat, I see rotund children like some sort of circus exhibit. Our kids eat fast food from time to time (maybe once a week if they are lucky) and their diets could be better but they have an understanding of what's good food and what's bad food.

Yes and no; my kids both eat the same thing. The lad is skinny to the point of looking anorexic, and my daughter is built like a prop. He has endurance, she has power. She's not obese or even really overweight, but obviously processes food differently. The only difference other than sex is the different mix of genes from mum and dad.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

fonzeee wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:48 pm
Zakar wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:33 pm

Both.
Well sure nobody wants to eat bland-tasting shit if they can avoid it, I just meant which of those two wins out.

But in any case the fact that healthiness is considered an important factor at all suggests that there is a more utilitarian approach to eating that might go some way to explaining why people might ask so little of their meal that they really don't see a difference between a lovely home cooked meal and a trip to McDonald's.

I can't speak for the Aussies but I definitely think this applies to us.
It's not an either/or approach. I guess everyone has their internal threshold - I won't eat a meal of plain spinach but the obviously unhealthy is very unappealing.

When I say- "good food" I mean high quality, whether at home or from restaurants.

I don't know anyone that eats mcdonalds unless they are 1. On a road trip or 2. Hungover as fudge

I've never heard of people using it as a substitute for a family meal. If we're feeling too lazy to cook we'll order Vietnamese, Thai or charcoal Charlie's.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

I don't know the Aussie chains of choice but McDonalds, Taco Bell, Chic-Fil-A, KFC, Subway, Jack in the Box etc are perfectly suitable "hey I'm on the way home, what do you want me to get" options here if that's how you roll. Bar Chic-Fil-A I haven't had any of those (sober) in years, but I discovered in college that there are people who live this way 4-5 days of the week (and always have) and see nothing wrong with it. And the other days they're heating up TV dinners. It's purely about sustenance.

I actively dislike going out to eat -- waste of money plus at home is almost always better with even mediocre ingredients (not that I'm a great chef, I just steal it all from the internet). If I'm eating out I'm purely doing it to appease the lady. Unless it's sushi which I obviously just can't recreate.
Last edited by fonzeee on Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Bindi wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:25 am
Thomas wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:08 am Is it just inherent laziness? I mean, we all know you need to eat healthy food but fast food is...like...right there.

Yes and no; my kids both eat the same thing. The lad is skinny to the point of looking anorexic, and my daughter is built like a prop. He has endurance, she has power. She's not obese or even really overweight, but obviously processes food differently. The only difference other than sex is the different mix of genes from mum and dad.
Oh totally. But I'm talking about those kids that are as wide as they are tall at age 4. Like, massively obese.

I'm in the same boat as you with my two kids. The eldest is lean and bony and all elbows and knees and can run all day. My youngest is lean but has more muscle mass and is built for sprinting and hurting kids on the rugby field. They are 4 years apart but there's only 2kgs difference.
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

waste of money
Ha. Guess I'm part of the problem. That's a non-food/taste/enjoyment reason right there now that I think about it.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 pm Long hours and commutes are just excuses. You can commute a lot and work long hours in wealthy areas, more so often in professional jobs.
Sydney is up there with LA for horrific commutes - here, as Zakar states, East of the Inner West :D , the commute time can be up to 90 minutes each way.

BTW, re timing - an Omelette can be cooked in <10mins

Not sure what is hard about that.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:37 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:22 pm Long hours and commutes are just excuses. You can commute a lot and work long hours in wealthy areas, more so often in professional jobs.
Sydney is up there with LA for horrific commutes - here, as Zakar states, East of the Inner West :D , the commute time can be up to 90 minutes each way.

90 minutes is f*cked. I don't know how anyone could do that.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:39 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:37 am

90 minutes is f*cked. I don't know how anyone could do that.
And they get lumped with multiple Toll routes from the healthy people in the Eastern suburbs

I had colleagues paying $28 a day in tolls to get to and from work :|
Last edited by Pat the Ex Mat on Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Colleagues of mine in Manila would do 3 hrs each way for their commute. Its a privilege that few of us realise to have a short commute.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Farva wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:27 am Colleagues of mine in Manila would do 3 hrs each way for their commute. Its a privilege that few of us realise to have a short commute.
Half of my office commute from the Gold Coast to Brisbane. 90 minutes each way would be a good day.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Farva wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:27 am Colleagues of mine in Manila would do 3 hrs each way for their commute. Its a privilege that few of us realise to have a short commute.
Definitely, I moved to Glebe and only take jobs where I can walk or hop on a bus for 10 minutes

I'm lucky
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Definitely, I moved to Glebe and only take jobs where I can walk or hop on a bus for 10 minutes

I'm lucky
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

fonzeee wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:42 am

I actively dislike going out to eat -- waste of money plus at home is almost always better with even mediocre ingredients (not that I'm a great chef, I just steal it all from the internet). If I'm eating out I'm purely doing it to appease the lady. Unless it's sushi which I obviously just can't recreate.
Damn, I'm 100% the opposite, plus I hate cooking. But luckily for me I can easily eat plain/same food every day normally then eat out on weekends. For dinners I steam vegetables and bake fish pretty much every night, takes 20 minutes. Lunches I'll stir fry up frozen veges and tuna and take them into work.
Thomas wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:52 am
Bindi wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:25 am

Oh totally. But I'm talking about those kids that are as wide as they are tall at age 4. Like, massively obese.

I'm in the same boat as you with my two kids. The eldest is lean and bony and all elbows and knees and can run all day. My youngest is lean but has more muscle mass and is built for sprinting and hurting kids on the rugby field. They are 4 years apart but there's only 2kgs difference.
I wasn't obese as a kid but I was a fat fudger, you would have scowled at my parents :lol: . But I used to eat pretty much the exact same food as my sister (same dinner, exact same packed lunches, same one or two biscuits after school) and she was skinny as a rake. But by the time I started high school most of the fat had just naturally melted away.