Australian Posters, what is this Yahoo search bullshit? Have Google gone Nuclear?

All things Rugby
The Optimist

Re: Australian Posters, what is this Yahoo search bullshit? Have Google gone Nuclear?

Post by The Optimist »

Another Aussie googler. :roll:
kiap

Re: Australian Posters, what is this Yahoo search bullshit? Have Google gone Nuclear?

Post by kiap »

^Pony-tailed nazi? ... Anyway, the process moves on. From the AFR:

Google desperate for deals in effort to avoid code

Miranda Ward
Feb 15, 2021 – 12.00am

... A Senate committee recommended the passage of the legislation on Friday afternoon, saying it was “confident” the bill would deliver on its intended outcome of levelling the playing field between news producers and digital giants despite concerns raised by the latter and smaller publishers.

... <snip> ...

Prime Minister Scott Morrison and Treasurer Josh Frydenberg, who met with Google global boss Sundar Pichai this month, have been encouraging quick deals. It was initially understood they would then consider Google’s requests for amendments to the code, however it is now believed an agreement may have been reached on how and if Google would be designated under the code.

Publishing sources, however, said Google’s proposals were not financially attractive and were understood to include not paying publishers for news stories that appear in search results. The tactic may be an effort by Google to paint publishers as unwilling to negotiate in good faith.

Publishing sources are also concerned that if Google does sign a deal with one publisher, it will be proof enough for the Treasurer that the search giant does not need the code to force business negotiations, suggesting the Silicon Valley-based company may be looking to divide and conquer Australia’s news publishers.

This would leave publishers without a deal and unable to access the code’s arbitration backstop as a means to get commercial deals in place with the search giant.

... <snip> ...

The Greens are expected to use the passage of the legislation to push for the establishment of a permanent Public Interest News Gathering Trust and for public funding to be provided to the Australian Associated Press.

The legislation is being watched around the world. Canadian news publishers have urged its parliament to adopt a similar model and Microsoft broke with US technology companies, pushing for the Biden Administration to consider something similar.

https://www.afr.com/companies/media-and ... 214-p572cv
kiap

Post by kiap »

From SMH today:

Seven West Media inks $30 million-a-year Google deal

By Zoe Samios and Lisa Visentin
February 15, 2021 — 10.30am

... The Kerry Stokes-controlled media company announced to the stock exchange on Monday that it had agreed to a “long-term partnership” with Google to provide news content to its Google News Showcase product.

The announcement did not state the monetary value of the deal but Seven sources said it was worth more than $30 million a year.

... <snip> ...

Parliament is set to debate the Morrison government’s proposed news media bargaining code this week, which could become law by the end of the sitting fortnight.

The code uses the threat of mandatory arbitration to force the digital platforms to broker commercial deals with Australian media companies for the value they obtain from having news content in news feeds and search results. It will also force them to comply with a number of strict regulatory provisions, including giving media companies 14 days’ notice of major algorithm changes.

... <snip> ...

Seven West Media chief executive James Warburton would not comment directly on the cost of the deal but said the money would be used to invest in journalism. “It will improve the business, there’s no doubt about that”

... Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/business/compani ... 572iv.html
Taranaki Snapper

Post by Taranaki Snapper »

Healthy debate notwithstanding, turns out my OP issue was some malware in an equaliser app that was redirecting my google searches to yahoo...
As Rupert Murdoch works to dismantle the internet, why are other media outlets helping him?
Australia's news media bargaining code will set a dangerous precedent for the future of the net.
I love The Guardian. It has long been my most trusted news source worldwide. I have been honoured to write for and work with this grand institution. So I am sorely disappointed that it’s dancing with the devil, Rupert Murdoch, in backing Australia’s news media bargaining code.

The code is built on a series of fallacies. First is the idea that Google and Facebook should owe publishers so much as a farthing for linking to their content, sending them audience, giving them marketing. In any rational market, publishers would owe platforms for this free marketing, except that Google at its founding decided not to sell links outside of advertisements. The headlines and snippets the platforms quote are necessary to link to them, and if the publishers don’t want to be included, it is easy for them to opt out.

Second, the major media companies of Australia — Murdoch’s News Corp, Nine and, yes, The Guardian — are not beggars in Oliver Twist’s poor house as they would have us believe. They will survive.

Third, no matter what happens in this political drama, Murdoch — as ever — wins. Either he gets paid by Google and Facebook, or, as threatened, Facebook bans news from its newsfeed and Google pulls out of Australia. Since Murdoch and Nine own almost all the biggest media brands in the nation, they’ll be fine. Any media start-up that dreams of competing with Australia’s media oligopoly will be unable to find a hold in the market. Small companies in many sectors will suffer. Users will suffer.

I predict that the politicians who made this happen at Murdoch’s behest will suffer once citizens realise what they must do without. But Murdoch won’t.

What worries me most is what the code would do to the internet, worldwide. As The Guardian reported, Sir Tim Berners-Lee himself, the man who invented the web, said the code would break it. The precedent of having to pay for the privilege of linking to someone is antithetical to the core ethic of the web: that the edges finally win over the power at the centre.

In the United States, where I work, it is only because of the web and its architecture of the link — as well as social media and its hashtags — that we have finally heard the stories of #BlackLivesMatter and #LivingWhileBlack and #MeToo from voices too long excluded from mass media, run by old, white men (who look like me). The net challenges the old mens’ hegemony.

No wonder Murdoch does everything he can to cripple the internet and its proprietors, cashing in his political capital — conflict of interest be damned — to buy protectionist legislation favouring his companies against his competitors.

In beginning to pay publishers for their articles, Google and Facebook are playing into his hand — and I’m unhappy with them, too, for setting a precedent I consider dangerous for the future of the net.

You may ask why I’m so vitriolic about your native son, Australia. (In disclosure, I once worked for Murdoch as TV critic for America’s TV Guide. Also, the school where I teach has raised funds from Facebook and Google, but I receive nothing from them.)

My animus toward Murdoch comes from seeing his media company damage my family and my nation. Fox News brainwashed parents across the country. Donald Trump was the Frankenstein’s monster of Murdoch’s network. The January 6 riot at the US Capitol might as well have been Murdoch’s garden party.

Rupert Murdoch is the single most malign influence in democracy across the English-speaking world — and his influence spreads even wider now, as even formerly sensible Canada and the European Union are considering following Australia’s lead in killing the web with carbon copies of the code.

If Murdoch is the devil, The Guardian was the guardian angel come to battle him. That’s why I’m so disappointed. I’m equally concerned that The Guardian, as well as most news media lately, have turned dystopian in their coverage of the internet and technology. I am old enough to remember when they were optimistic, even utopian. But that is a discussion for another day, another beer.

I say this at the risk of my relationship with The Guardian, an affection that goes back many years. But as much as I love The Guardian, I love the internet even more.

Jeff Jarvis is professor of journalism at the City University of New York.
https://www.crikey.com.au/2021/02/15/ru ... ning-code/
kiap

Post by kiap »

Taranaki Snapper wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:13 pm Jeff Jarvis is professor of journalism at the City University of New York.
He's also -- I kid you not -- the irony-free author of "What would Google do?"

What would Jesus do, I ask you, as he admiringly shills his arse off for them? Everyone knows that Jarvis is a tool, and that’s why he is regularly satirised by comedic writers.

He is incapable of civic discussion on Big Tech.

The day Jeff Jarvis quit journalism -- Andreas Ekstrom:

... For the sake of the discussion, and for balance, Jeff Jarvis often takes a role that seems a bit odd for a journalist. He calls himself a ”Google fanboy”, and is very passionate about his basic ideas on what the internet is and should be. He is always ready to turn the discussion and present a heated defence for Big Tech when Stacey Higginbotham (because it is mostly her) highlights the risks of new technology. Which she does in a very mild and precise manner.

The episode last week, however, number 513, made me sort of lose it.

Jeff Jarvis wouldn’t even listen to the basic facts, the very foundation for the discussion, when Leo Laporte ventured on a discussion about Libra, the new Facebook crypto currency. Jarvis just cut him off, and immediately took measures to make sure tech companies would look better ...
Ellafan

Post by Ellafan »

You could have also quoted the below parts. This bloke's objectivity is fatally compromised, it seems because he projects his domestic-political gnerated hate for Fox onto all media that questions google.
Jarvis waves away one legitimate question after another, at unprecedented speed. He won’t even let his discussion partners finish what they are saying, because he becomes so… I don’t know, personally offended?

...He speaks against himself, and he doesn’t even notice. He can say that a company like Google doesn’t hurt media companies at ALL – and in the next sentence, he claims that the best news outlet in the world, The New York Times, reports with a conflict of interest when they describe and question Google...Really? So which is it? ...If Google doesn’t hurt the media industry, then there can be no conflict of interest.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Murdoch would be proud of a character assassination like that.

How about discussing the points he made, as opposed to trying to deflect onto ad hominem attacks.

This is why I can’t be arsed with this thread or this place most of the time... material isn’t discussed. Shit is flung instead, clothed in pearly language to try and make it seem reasonable or authoritative.
kiap

Post by kiap »

guy smiley wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:21 am This is why I can’t be arsed with this thread or this place most of the time... material isn’t discussed.
Oh contraire. Questions were answered. Then you didn't return.
kiap wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:34 am
guy smiley wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:23 am For those arguing in favour, a question...

why does the policy being floated not include support extending to the public broadcaster here?
They are included (see below, & note the amp link):

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... ition-says

ABC was originally excluded largely because under its charter it is limited in terms of commercially sourced funding.

Now I'm sure that was also convenient for any ABC-hating, Rupe-sucking faction within the coalition ;) ... but said support for public news content is now within the conversation.

Obviously the whole process still has a way to travel so what the outcome ends up looking like is yet unknown.
guy smiley wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:23 am Why does it only include a handful of large corporates... Nine/Fairfax and News primarily? Why does the policy allow one side to dictate terms?
Both these questions are falsely premised.
Surely you now know this involves large and small organisations as well as public-funded content?

Own what you say.
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

Australian news pages goooooooooooooooone from Facebook...

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-n ... ws-content
grievous

Post by grievous »

Its a vile platform that shouldnt be anywhere news, good riddance. Go back to being known as Stalkbook
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

grievous wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:57 pm Its a vile platform that shouldnt be anywhere news, good riddance. Go back to being known as Stalkbook
Weird... :?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Slim 293 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:56 pm Australian news pages goooooooooooooooone from Facebook...

Betoota Advocate’s page is empty :(

A great victory, of course, for the Australian govt and those who support this legislation. No more free linking to news outlets.

Fantastic. Great job. Well done.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Slim 293 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:06 pm
grievous wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:57 pm Its a vile platform that shouldnt be anywhere news, good riddance. Go back to being known as Stalkbook
Obviously your online bible, sucks to be you.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kiap, Ellafan and grievous will be thrilled that Facebook is no longer stealing News Ltd's content. Stop the steal! Stop the steal! This is a great day for Australian news sites, right fellas?
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

grievous wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:26 pm

Doubling down...
grievous

Post by grievous »

Slim 293 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:40 pm

Doubling down...
:lol: on what?
Have you ever bought a newspaper? Do you know how or does it get in the way of Facebook feed telling you what to wear that day?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Scott Morrison promised us that once Facebook and Google are forced ton stop stealing Australian news content content, the advertising revenue for News Ltd, Nine Media and Seven will soar. This is a great day for Australian media :thumbup:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

BOM page gone as well as the ABC so no weather or bushfire alerts.

This is a great day for Australian news. Fantastic that the Aus govt really took it up to the big guys and showed em.

ScoMo... getting shit done :thumbup:
Slim 293

Post by Slim 293 »

grievous wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:42 pm

Doubling down...
Have you ever bought a newspaper? Do you know how or does it get in the way of Facebook feed telling you what to wear that day?

Has Mick hacked grievy’s account?
grievous

Post by grievous »

Fryo and Zuckerface were talking, things were being resolved...then Zucks got the shits and turned off the switch in his bedroom.
Big business good, government bad.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Slim 293 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:46 pm

Doubling down...

Youre such a child.
Leave you 3 to circle jerk on each others faces.
Enjoy
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

grievous wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:49 pm
Slim 293 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:46 pm

Doubling down...

Youre such a child.
Leave you 3 to circle jerk on each others faces.
Enjoy

Your’re
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

The funniest part is that the Morrison govt have been caught completely off guard. They genuinely thought that Facebook, one of the biggest tech companies on Earth, would simply lie down and allow itself to get milked by failing Australian news organisations until the end of time, paying whatever these news companies demanded for allowing consumers to access news stories.
kiap

Post by kiap »

Facebook (and all their associated properties) were a by-catch here. Rightly so, but by-catch nonetheless.

But, hey! I think I might ... just maybe ... find a way to live with this.
guy smiley wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:23 am :lol:

Good luck with trying to extort one of the biggest companies on the planet :lol:

I agree with the idea of curbing the excessive influence companies like Google, Facebook and the rest have gathered for themselves but this is not the way to go about it.
Good luck indeed :!:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kiap has been the biggest supporter of the govt's media bill. He must be very proud today that he has stopped the steal, and saved the failing Australian media giants.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

State health dept pages also blanked.

The thing that escapes some of the simpler internet users is that you can tailor your feed and exercise some degree of control over just how much vile content you’re exposed to, or even how vile your vile is. A shed load of people have come to rely on Facebook as a sort of one stop shop for a wide range of content exposure and a lot of that content is genuinely useful community information...

Well played, Australia.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Has it occurred to the Federal govt, and the Morrison fanboys on this site, that Facebook's predictable actions will result in drastically fewer people accessing Australian news content online, resulting in less revenue, not more?
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Maybe, I don't and have never used Facebook for news

Unless it's Betoota of course :lol:
kiap

Post by kiap »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:44 pm BOM page gone as well as the ABC so no weather or bushfire alerts.

This is a great day for Australian news. Fantastic that the Aus govt really took it up to the big guys and showed em.

Fantastic. Be sure to thank your pal Zuck for all he's done. :thumbup:

Then go to the actual ABC and BOM sites.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:02 am Maybe, I don't and have never used Facebook for news

You tag yourself into training every week, mate.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:02 am Maybe, I don't and have never used Facebook for news

I get most of my random news off Twitter - which wasn't part of Morrison's new bill for some reason. Still subscribe to the SMH and The Age as well.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

What am I missing. I don’t use Facebook.

The fact that it does carry ABC or BOM seems weird - why wouldn’t I go straight to BOM or ABC? Or go straight to the Betrota A if I want.

What am I missing?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiap wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:04 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:44 pm BOM page gone as well as the ABC so no weather or bushfire alerts.

Fantastic. Be sure to thank your pal Zuck for all he's done. :thumbup:

Then go to the actual ABC and BOM sites.
Kiap, since you have been by far the biggest supporter of this media bill on this forum, can you please explain how FB blocking all Australian news sites is a positive outcome for our news organisations?
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

While I sometimes use Messenger because I have to, I'm no fan of Facebook's pervasive influence, active data-gathering, and terrible interface. But this episode highlights Australia's increasing nationalistic belligerence.

Australia's new tough guy approach under the Hillsong hillbilly and friends is also illustrated by their recent ulta-hardline immigration policies where they seek to wash their hands of both their domestic and international failures.

While many other countries look to be decent global citizens, Australia appears to be going the other way. :(
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:21 pm
Slim 293 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:56 pm Australian news pages goooooooooooooooone from Facebook...

A great victory, of course, for the Australian govt and those who support this legislation. No more free linking to news outlets.

Damn, that's the only Australian news source I read.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

guy smiley wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:04 am

You tag yourself into training every week, mate.
How is that news? :roll:
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Zakar wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:12 am

Why don’t you go direct to their site?
I really don’t understand this hysteria from GS and AC...
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:20 am

I've replaced it with Craig Kelly Member for Cooked as Fuck
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:20 am Why don’t you go direct to their site?
I'm not being hysterical. I'm simply asking Kiap and others who passionately advocated for this new media bill how Facebook banning access to Australian news content is a positive outcome for our news organisations. Morrison promised us that this bill would save Australian news, but I'm struggling to see how that's going to happen.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:20 am

Yes, hysteria...

I outlined my sentiments about this above Greg. For all its evils, FB has become a sort of one stop shop for media outlets. Mass exposure mate... you can understand the appeal of that, yeah? A feed that allows your site the capacity to have a personalised page that links to all your business, for free.