New Zealand...fvcked

All things Rugby
koroke hangareka

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by koroke hangareka »

bimboman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:04 pm
koroke hangareka wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:56 am Ah well, bimbo, surely nobody could accuse you of absolute certainty. Your hesitancy and equivocation on any topic are a marvel to behold.

I leave most of my posts regarding Covid as questions to be discussed or thought about.
Ah.
RuggaBugga

Post by RuggaBugga »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:00 pm
Why not try playing the ball for once?
Because you're both idiots piping up with non-sequiters and irrelevancies in a thread in which you have precious little context in regard to the posts being made.

In additiion to that, the fact that you're a proven idiot with a tendency to pick the ball up, run the wrong way gurning like a champ and slam it behind your own goal line.
Blackrock Bullet

Post by Blackrock Bullet »

bimboman wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:35 am
RuggaBugga wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:00 am Anyway, looking like we might have dodged yet another bullet for now. Tomorrow will be the acid test.

Luck must be about to run out soon though, the new variants are genuinely scary. I genuinely don't see how vaccines are going to have any long term efficacy either given the sheer number of cases/mutations.

“Tomorrow “

You’ve for years of this game to play over there. :thumbup:
If all the fear mongering over vaccines being ineffective against variants materialises, certainly.

Otherwise I think they should be okay. Seems their vaccine rollout is slow but they will keep the borders tightly restricted. Cases will keep getting through but they are a bit of time away from their major respiratory season where any breakouts could seriously mushroom. By the time they do come into it, you would think that incidence of returning travellers with Covid will have declined a lot anyway, with Europe and North America hitting their spring and the vaccine kicking in. I could see one of the major cities over there ending up with a decentish lockdown again as something breaks through, but on the whole you'd think they will be grand. :thumbup:
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Two more community cases which are close contacts of the original 3 cases. Both new cases are students.

Goodbye to the chances of Auckland being out of level 3 tomorrow
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Hmmm, Super Rugby not going to be in full stadia? Bugger (possible)
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

I imagine this is the end of any TT comp this year. Bit of a bugger but that's the way I think it will go.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Any of you poor JAFAs need toilet paper or bread?
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Blackrock Bullet wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:42 pm
RuggaBugga wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:00 am Anyway, looking like we might have dodged yet another bullet for now. Tomorrow will be the acid test.

Luck must be about to run out soon though, the new variants are genuinely scary. I genuinely don't see how vaccines are going to have any long term efficacy either given the sheer number of cases/mutations.

“Tomorrow “

If all the fear mongering over vaccines being ineffective against variants materialises, certainly.

Otherwise I think they should be okay. Seems their vaccine rollout is slow but they will keep the borders tightly restricted. Cases will keep getting through but they are a bit of time away from their major respiratory season where any breakouts could seriously mushroom. By the time they do come into it, you would think that incidence of returning travellers with Covid will have declined a lot anyway, with Europe and North America hitting their spring and the vaccine kicking in. I could see one of the major cities over there ending up with a decentish lockdown again as something breaks through, but on the whole you'd think they will be grand. :thumbup:
Pretty much it.

I'll add that the very fact that transmission of the sporadic cases that do show up are atypical should be a pointer that we are doing something pretty much right. Not that I expect Mog or Bimbo to have any awareness of that sort of thing.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

I don't agree with Thomas Coughlan all the time, but on this subject I happen to agree with a fair bit of what the bloke is saying in the following article (extract):

On balance, this is no doubt a good thing. Governments around the world can and routinely do make terrible decisions that aren’t just unscientific – they’re anti-scientific.

Multi-credentialed scientists Siouxsie Wiles, Shaun Hendy, Michael Baker, and David Skegg have each furnished advice and opinion from their own fields.

But the prime minister has never said that she’ll blindly follow the scientific consensus no matter where it leads (and consensus is fairly fluid in the midst of a fast-moving pandemic).

There’s good reason for this. A government’s job is always to balance the competing interests laid before it, working out which are the most important and acting on them. In a pandemic, heath science and epidemiology clearly take precedence, but they’re not the only interests.

Policy guided by science must be bound by the law, particularly human rights law. Bad, out-of-date laws can be changed if they’re no longer fit for purpose. The Government showed some willingness to do this in the litigation over the first lockdown. But our rights, expressed in New Zealand’s Bill of Rights, are something else entirely.

When health officials recommended the border be shut completely last year, the Government rightly threw the suggestion out.

Further restrictions at the border, beyond the pre-flight tests that were rolled out this summer, could make coming home so difficult that it breaches the Bill of Rights. New Zealanders overseas have a right to come home; that right must be balanced against the risk their return represents to the health of others – but it can’t be stripped away entirely.

There’s a naive tendency among some observers to assume that the perfect policy can be arrived at almost by algorithm: enter the science here, input the budget there, adjust for risk appetite, and out pops the perfect policy. Such a tendency is as common in Covid policy as it is in areas like climate change, where businesses expect the government to arrive at economically perfect policy guided by to-the-decimal-point modelling.

This is a fallacy – but an understandable one in an age in which we consciously and subconsciously outsource ever more thinking to algorithms.

Perfect scientific policy doesn’t exist; a policy based on the science of epidemiology has to be balanced against the policy that comes from other sciences: behavioural science and mental health to name but two. And even if some perfect scientific policy did exist – one that were able to aggregate all possible scientific advice – there’s no guarantee it would be ethical.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... ot-like-it
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

For sale - heaps of toilet paper.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Enzedder wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:50 am For sale - heaps of toilet paper.
Pre-Loved?
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

After two (or three) new cases were detected, I'm surprised that the government chose to reduce the alert levels for both Auckland and rest of NZ. I would have kept the same levels going for a few more days at least.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Tehui wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:05 am After two (or three) new cases were detected, I'm surprised that the government chose to reduce the alert levels for both Auckland and rest of NZ. I would have kept the same levels going for a few more days at least.
They feel it's contained, and that they're ahead of the spread. Thankfully. Locking down at 3/2 for longer, while appreciating how bad an outbreak would devastate what we've sacrificed, is devastating in itself when the risk is so low.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Great news that Auckland is moving to level 2 and the rest of the country back to level 1. The only flaw in the system is there's nothing stopping Aucklanders from leaving level 2 Auckland and enjoying level 1 conditions elsewhere.

Seems to somewhat defeat the purpose of keeping Auckland at level 2. :?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Double post
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

The problem of Aucklanders infesting the rest of the country is hardly a new one or limited to Covid related restrictions.

The cnuts pop up everywhere.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:44 am The problem of Aucklanders infesting the rest of the country is hardly a new one or limited to Covid related restrictions.

:lol:

Although I'm sure their tourist $$$ would be welcome most places at the moment.
Hareaway

Post by Hareaway »

Muttonbirds wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:02 am RuggaBogan is very aggressive online. Probably because he drinks when posting. That's all fine but he should expect to be challenged on it.

I was the same once but have modified my behaviour in recent years.
You are both Cvnts , Rugga is a good cvnt and you .... well
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

booji boy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:22 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:44 am The problem of Aucklanders infesting the rest of the country is hardly a new one or limited to Covid related restrictions.

Yeah, a lot of tourist places are doing it hard. We went to the Hobbiton movie set. It was great for us as there were only 20 people in hour tour group so we almost felt like we had it to ourselves.

Not so good for the business though. From the number of buses parked up and the size of the car parks, they used to get 100s of people going through at a time. Guide told us they used to gave around 250 staff, and are now down to 26.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Fat Old Git wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:20 am
booji boy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:22 am

Yeah, a lot of tourist places are doing it hard. We went to the Hobbiton movie set. It was great for us as there were only 20 people in hour tour group so we almost felt like we had it to ourselves.

Not so good for the business though. From the number of buses parked up and the size of the car parks, they used to get 100s of people going through at a time. Guide told us they used to gave around 250 staff, and are now down to 26.
And that is in central Waikato only a 90 minute drive from Auckland. I was thinking more of Queenstown, Te Anau, the West Coast etc. :(

I went to Hobbiton in 2019 with an Aussie family. Thet were enthralled and the mother at one point exclaimed "It's just like being on a movie set!" :roll: Ahem
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

booji boy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:14 pm I went to Hobbiton in 2019 with an Aussie family. Thet were enthralled and the mother at one point exclaimed "It's just like being on a movie set!" :roll: Ahem
I can just imagine your reaction.

Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

That was me - almost exactly. :lol:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Tehui wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:39 am
booji boy wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:14 pm I went to Hobbiton in 2019 with an Aussie family. Thet were enthralled and the mother at one point exclaimed "It's just like being on a movie set!" :roll: Ahem
I can just imagine your reaction.

Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

Auckman wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:21 am Happy campers in Twizel

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/sport/o ... nal-champs
Good to see. Great for those kids.

I've always found adult complaining about not being able to go to the pub selfish and hollow. Children deprived of their activities is way harder.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Irish people in NZ (interviewed by Irish media) thanking their lucky stars that they're stuck in NZ.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1576528919403695
JamesJames

Post by JamesJames »

Ted. wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:55 am
Blackrock Bullet wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:42 pm

“Tomorrow “

Pretty much it.

I'll add that the very fact that transmission of the sporadic cases that do show up are atypical should be a pointer that we are doing something pretty much right. Not that I expect Mog or Bimbo to have any awareness of that sort of thing.
Not sure the weather or temps specifically has much effect on this sucker. We've just had a second wave rip through right in the middle of a steaming summer. Tropical parts of Africa seem not to have escaped though. So maybe the extra few degrees is what does it.
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Ted. wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:06 am I don't agree with Thomas Coughlan all the time, but on this subject I happen to agree with a fair bit of what the bloke is saying in the following article (extract):

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/politi ... ot-like-it
Agree with this. But it only works if the government is genuinely attempting to act in good faith as to what is the best balance between the various factors of an issue, and the public at least accepts they're trying to act in good faith. Nobody is ever going to get a perfect balance there, there is no such thing - the issue is sorting out the nitpickers from the genuine concerns.
Enzedder

Post by Enzedder »

Auckland back into Level 3 and the rest of the country Level 2 from 6am tomorrow.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... -announced
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Level 3 for a week this time rather than three days only.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Seems some sibling of a Papatoetoe student has had muscle weakness and loss of taste symptoms and decided to head to work for the week.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

I read some idiot took a test and then went to the gym instead of going home. He later returned a positive.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Feeling unwell, go to your GP, get a test, go to the gym :lol:
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Jerome Manning wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:56 am Feeling unwell, go to your GP, get a test, go to the gym :lol:
Sweat it out :?
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Wtf is wrong with people. PM apparently not wanting to blame anyone, but ffs.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Here we go again. It's like traveling on Auckland's roads. Stop. Start. Stop. Start. Stop.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

JB1981 wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:57 am
Jerome Manning wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:56 am Feeling unwell, go to your GP, get a test, go to the gym :lol:
Sweat it out :?
"That would not be my expectation. I would expect them to do the right thing." /#jacinda #chrishipkins #bekind
deadduck

Post by deadduck »

This is getting tiresome.

Can we just cancel Auckland

Put up a fence or something and check back in in 28 days
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Health officials' focus remains on KFC in the Auckland suburb of Botany. A family member of one of the Papatoetoe High School students who tested positive had been told to stay home and isolate, but instead went to work at the fast-food restaurant on Monday
wtf did I just read :?

From the main article on the herald.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Health officials' focus remains on KFC in the Auckland suburb of Botany. A family member of one of the Papatoetoe High School students who tested positive had been told to stay home and isolate, but instead went to work at the fast-food restaurant on Monday

Is there financial support for someone in this situation