New Zealand...fvcked

All things Rugby
Tehui

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Tehui »

booji boy wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:09 am
    Tehui wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:00 pm Back to the subject at hand - if no new community-based cases are found between now and decision making time today, what decision should the government make pertaining to level restrictions? I support the decision to keep the status quo for another week before reviewing it again (i.e. L3 Auckland, L2 elsewhere).
    Wow that is a very conservative line to take. I thought the question would be more like "Do we come out of lockdown early (like say midnight tonight) since there have been zero cases or just complete the current 7 day lockdown?"

With zero new cases I can't imagine anyone believes we should extend this current lockdown.
    Yep, I admit that I favour a conservative approach when it comes managing risk in these situations. I also acknowledge that I'm probably in the minority with that view. If people were infected by the plonker who visited the gym, when can we expect to see those test results come through?
    Dark

Post by Dark »

Far out Ardern has brought milking the situation for political/personal gain to a new level of embarrassing.

Lose the sleaze chick.
    UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

mr bungle wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:05 am
    Tehui wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:37 am
    jambanja wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:41 am
    Tehui wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:00 pm Back to the subject at hand - if no new community-based cases are found between now and decision making time today, what decision should the government make pertaining to level restrictions? I support the decision to keep the status quo for another week before reviewing it again (i.e. L3 Auckland, L2 elsewhere).
    That's a very very expensive status quo, lockdown is costing the country roughly $240 million a week
    I understand the economic argument. I just value lives more, and I'm not convinced this latest outbreak has been put out.
    It's such a fine line. I value lives more too, it's just so hard to justify the very real economic pain and subsequent human toll with continued zero cases.

Tourism worldwide is going to take many years to bounce back. But I am told suicides in the Central Lakes area have seen a significant jump. That is the human toll.
    But, don't you think a movement off zero cases is likely to cause as much, if not more real economic pain and subsequent human toll. Especially as you note that tourism worldwide is going to take many years to bounce back.

Be interesting if you could find those suicide stats as I think in many areas the expected jump in suicides has been unfounded (which might change the longer the pandemic goes on).
    mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

UncleFB wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:16 am
    That's a very very expensive status quo, lockdown is costing the country roughly $240 million a week
    I understand the economic argument. I just value lives more, and I'm not convinced this latest outbreak has been put out.
    It's such a fine line. I value lives more too, it's just so hard to justify the very real economic pain and subsequent human toll with continued zero cases.

Tourism worldwide is going to take many years to bounce back. But I am told suicides in the Central Lakes area have seen a significant jump. That is the human toll.
    But, don't you think a movement off zero cases is likely to cause as much, if not more real economic pain and subsequent human toll. Especially as you note that tourism worldwide is going to take many years to bounce back.

Be interesting if you could find those suicide stats as I think in many areas the expected jump in suicides has been unfounded (which might change the longer the pandemic goes on).
    Tehui was favouring another week as is, even with no movement in cases. I said that would be an extremely hard sell, even to those in favour of our Covid management so far.

We did downgrade last time even though a few more community cases reared their head.

My anecdote re: Central suicides comes directly from a southern psychiatrist involved in the area.
    Dark

Post by Dark »

She didn't say "team of 5 million" or "be kind"

I feel almost raped in the lack of empathy
    jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Auckland goes to level 2 from Sunday morning. Seems sensible.
    UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

mr bungle wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:22 am

Tehui was favouring another week as is, even with no movement in cases. I said that would be an extremely hard sell, even to those in favour of our Covid management so far.

We did downgrade last time even though a few more community cases reared their head.

My anecdote re: Central suicides comes directly from a southern psychiatrist involved in the area.
    Ah, fair enough, I was interpreting it in a more generalist line. I'm conservative too but if there's no new cases then I'm in the move out of the levels camp.
    Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

Simone is doing the rounds down south? :shock:
    Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

That’s Dr Simone to you ...

( and no it’s not as she’s now a forensic psychiatrist)
    mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

UncleFB wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:28 am

Ah, fair enough, I was interpreting it in a more generalist line. I'm conservative too but if there's no new cases then I'm in the move out of the levels camp.
    I think Tehui would be thinking along the lines of there having been significant exposure, more positives must be looming in the next few days. It is surprising there hasn’t been any. A gym must be about one of the worst places someone infected could go.
    Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Tehui wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:26 am
      Wow that is a very conservative line to take. I thought the question would be more like "Do we come out of lockdown early (like say midnight tonight) since there have been zero cases or just complete the current 7 day lockdown?"

With zero new cases I can't imagine anyone believes we should extend this current lockdown.
      Yep, I admit that I favour a conservative approach when it comes managing risk in these situations. I also acknowledge that I'm probably in the minority with that view. If people were infected by the plonker who visited the gym, when can we expect to see those test results come through?
      Those contacts should all have been identified by now and be isolating if the system is working properly. And you would hope the last week or so would have put "don't be a plonker" firmly on their to do list.
      Dark

Post by Dark »

Fat Old Git wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:55 am
      Tehui wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:26 am

Those contacts should all have been identified by now and be isolating if the system is working properly. And you would hope the last week or so would have put "don't be a plonker" firmly on their to do list.

Bit harsh

Personally think we should be more worried about holding hands and clinging to our isolation, while taking strength from our team of 5 million while bathing in the emotional tidal wave of our group kindness, even if our PM has chosen to give up on our societal bonding.

Personally I love every kiwi on here. You are frankly my inspiration, no matter how much Ardern has now disowned you,

I love you guys.And unlike her I have not given up on my team of 5 million,
        booji boy

Post by booji boy »

terangi48 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:17 am Do the full seven days as planned.....experts agree the virus strain takes longer to incubate.

Jeepers......what next......had a terrorist attack, earthquake, volcanic eruption, floods, water shortage, and now a tidal wave alert! The odds for some plain sailing and good fortune must be stacking up at the TAB!....surely.
        Don't forget the climate emergency!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video ... land-video
        Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Ted. wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:32 am
        Flockwitt wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:40 am
        Ted. wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:19 am
        Flockwitt wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:45 am
        brat wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:17 am @jeff

I think the point is this won’t be the last time this type of facility will be needed - there will be other viral outbreaks

Also we have no idea how long COVID isolation facilities will be needed long term- it will probably drag on for years

It’s not sustainable to have quarantine facilities in hotels..especially in the middle of our biggest city..something needs to be done long term
        It is something that needs to be done with the longer plan in mind if it's to be done. The question is what happens when we open up the borders and let people move freely again. There is going to be what, 1 in 20, that the vaccines don't take for? And Covid's not going to be eradicated. There's going to be new strains that have different effects. What do we do when Covid does transmit through a vaccinated population? Sure it's limited numbers but we need to ready for when there's going to be some deaths like there is every year with flu for the very unfortunate.

Perhaps a couple of purpose built facilities to specialize in ongoing Covid issues, with accommodation and treatment capabilities? As has been rightly said, we can't continue to pay hotels to do this job, at some point they need to return to being hotels. A Covid facility could give us more flexibility as to our reactions to different potential scenarios.

Just putting it out there.
        That idea has some merit, for the long term rather than chucking up hurried, temporary facility. I guess it could be a multi purpose facility in that, if it had theatres, labs and such like, is could be used to respond to other types of emergency as well.
        The problem is how long is going to take in reality? There's always some officious busybody from Wellington worried about building codes, sign off and the like.
        The only people concerned about building codes, sign off, etc, are the various design professionals, the project managers, the contractors and the local building consent authority. Of course the local DHB will also want a say on design, unless it is deemed a national facility to be run by, who? Not the MOH IMO, who should stick to policy.
        I may not have been entirely serious Ted :P
        The Optimist

Post by The Optimist »

Watching TV... NZ border control refusing Taiwanese twins entry into NZ because they suspect they could engage in sex work. WTF?! How are ugly kiwis going to have sex?!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
        Farva

Post by Farva »

terangi48 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:17 am Do the full seven days as planned.....experts agree the virus strain takes longer to incubate.

Jeepers......what next......had a terrorist attack, earthquake, volcanic eruption, floods, water shortage, and now a tidal wave alert! The odds for some plain sailing and good fortune must be stacking up at the TAB!....surely.
        I’m hoping for an All Blacks loss at Eden Park to be the next disaster to befall NZ.
        koroke hangareka

Post by koroke hangareka »

The Optimist wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:57 am Watching TV... NZ border control refusing Taiwanese twins entry into NZ because they suspect they could engage in sex work. WTF?! How are ugly kiwis going to have sex?!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

By paying Taiwanese sex workers of course. How thick are you?
        MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Farva wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:55 am

I’m hoping for an All Blacks loss at Eden Park to be the next disaster to befall NZ.
        Get it right. 'Shattering, record-breaking loss', thank you very much.
        Ogre

Post by Ogre »

MungoMan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:11 pm

Only France has that kind of power. your mob is more likely to sneak a win in Wellington.
        Enzedder
        Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

I am surprised that this hasn't happened more often
        An Air New Zealand crew member has tested positive for Covid-19 - and the Auckland Airport Countdown supermarket has been identified as an early "location of interest".

The crew member arrived in Auckland on a flight from Tokyo on February 28 - they tested negative after a Covid test that day, but positive after a routine test on Saturday.

They have been moved to the Auckland quarantine facility at Jet Park. The individual's three household family members have already been tested on Sunday and the results were all negative, says the Ministry of Health.

Fourteen other air crew on the same flight as the latest case were being contacted, isolated and retested, the ministry said on Sunday night.
        https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/covid-19- ... OON3BFSZE/
        Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

MungoMan wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:11 pm

That and the sex workers would be the final straw, we'd just need to tip the whole country back into the ocean
        Ted.

Post by Ted. »

jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Fair enough, it's a pretty tough decision I guess and where to draw the line is really hard
        jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Ted. wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:15 pm Image
        :lol: :lol:
        booji boy

Post by booji boy »

The Optimist wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:57 am Watching TV... NZ border control refusing Taiwanese twins entry into NZ because they suspect they could engage in sex work. WTF?! How are ugly kiwis going to have sex?!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
        Well presumably they were coming in on a visitors visa not a work visa.
        booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Such low life scum.
        UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

booji boy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:26 am
        Such low life scum.
        I’m going to be the grinch here, I don’t like it, I don’t want those fvckwits associated with that movie.
        booji boy

Post by booji boy »

UncleFB wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:59 am
        booji boy wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:26 am
        Such low life scum.
        I’m going to be the grinch here, I don’t like it, I don’t want those fvckwits associated with that movie.
        Actually on second look I hadn't noticed the other three characters being Wiles, Bloomfield and Hipkins. :lol:
        jambanja

Post by jambanja »

They've now come out and blamed the media for causing the earthquake and tsunami warning

Total nut jobs who prey on weak minded people

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/destiny-c ... RFLCC4MBY/
        Ted.

Post by Ted. »

jambanja wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:07 am They've now come out and blamed the media for causing the earthquake and tsunami warning

Creepy nutjobs at that.
        MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Ted. wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:52 am
        jambanja wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:07 am They've now come out and blamed the media for causing the earthquake and tsunami warning

Creepy nutjobs at that.
        Gee, it would be an awful shame if they were pelted with dogshit every time they ventured out.
        Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

MungoMan wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:33 am

Creepy nutjobs at that.
        Gee, it would be an awful shame if they were pelted with dogshit every time they ventured out.
        Yep. Dogshit is too good for them.
        Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Flockwitt wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:54 am
        MungoMan wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:33 am

Creepy nutjobs at that.
        Yep. Dogshit is too good for them.
        It's a start though.
        guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Flew into Auckland yesterday, surrounded by babies and small kids on the plane. I wish I’d bothered to pack my noise cancelling cans. Damn.

Once we’d landed we were asked to wait while police prepared for our arrival. An officer duly announced over the PA the outline for the disembarking process... everything quite relaxed but also quite firm :lol:

We made our way to the usual immigration desk, produced vouchers and the now quite detailed card, from there on to bag claim and customs. Flight crew were kept seperate for processing and passengers waited until they were all well clear of each area. Bags were x rayed as usual and we were directed through to coaches waiting to deliver us to the MIQ hotel. All very fuss free and seamless.

I’ve struck it lucky staying only an hour or so away from my own front door. Unfortunately, I’m in Rotorua :lol: I’m keeping the window closed for now.

It’s f’king eerie going through an international airport in this neck of the woods at the moment. I flew Adelaide - Sydney yesterday morning. Domestic was almost as busy as it used to be last year. I hung around there as I had almost 4 hours between flights. Once over at International it was like a ghost town... same in Auckland. Nothing open. Just a skeleton crew there.

Can’t begin to describe the feeling of sheer relief at being back. The sight of green rolling hills is a joy, brief lungful or two of fresh cool air.... after the bleak, relentless desolation of the SA desert and the washed out parchment colours of Australia away from the South East corner, it’s salve for the soul.

Anyway... calm, professional, efficient handling by the MIQ people running the process. I mentioned to the coordinator that it was a shame they felt the need to stress the need for some respect and manners for their staff from arrivals... apparently there’s been some pretty average behaviour from some.

Glad to be back. NZ is not f**ked.
        Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

guy smiley wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:56 pm Flew into Auckland yesterday, surrounded by babies and small kids on the plane. I wish I’d bothered to pack my noise cancelling cans. Damn.

Once we’d landed we were asked to wait while police prepared for our arrival. An officer duly announced over the PA the outline for the disembarking process... everything quite relaxed but also quite firm :lol:

We made our way to the usual immigration desk, produced vouchers and the now quite detailed card, from there on to bag claim and customs. Flight crew were kept seperate for processing and passengers waited until they were all well clear of each area. Bags were x rayed as usual and we were directed through to coaches waiting to deliver us to the MIQ hotel. All very fuss free and seamless.

I’ve struck it lucky staying only an hour or so away from my own front door. Unfortunately, I’m in Rotorua :lol: I’m keeping the window closed for now.

It’s f’king eerie going through an international airport in this neck of the woods at the moment. I flew Adelaide - Sydney yesterday morning. Domestic was almost as busy as it used to be last year. I hung around there as I had almost 4 hours between flights. Once over at International it was like a ghost town... same in Auckland. Nothing open. Just a skeleton crew there.

Can’t begin to describe the feeling of sheer relief at being back. The sight of green rolling hills is a joy, brief lungful or two of fresh cool air.... after the bleak, relentless desolation of the SA desert and the washed out parchment colours of Australia away from the South East corner, it’s salve for the soul.

Anyway... calm, professional, efficient handling by the MIQ people running the process. I mentioned to the coordinator that it was a shame they felt the need to stress the need for some respect and manners for their staff from arrivals... apparently there’s been some pretty average behaviour from some.

Highlights major border failings, not one official told you fck off we're full? I blame jacinda
        booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Welcome home Guy. I spent three nights in Rotorua staying right next door to that MIQ facility a couple of weeks ago. Shame about the timing. We could have had an MIQ cabal with you waving out the window to me. :D

Anyway welcome home and I hope your stay is bearable. I imagine you'll have plenty of time on PR to get your post count average back up in the next 14 days. 8)
        booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Monkey Magic wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:23 pm
        guy smiley wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:56 pm Flew into Auckland yesterday, surrounded by babies and small kids on the plane. I wish I’d bothered to pack my noise cancelling cans. Damn.

Highlights major border failings, not one official told you fck off we're full? I blame jacinda
        1. We can't turn away NZ citizens, not even naturalized Ausse ones.
        2. Jacinda would never turn away her biggest fan.
        Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

A guy I know has just returned from 3-1/2 months travelling around Central America and Europe. Just in case he doesn't get picked up for a bill by the MIQ processes (he left well after the cut off time for no charge), I've screenshotted his Instagram stories of him returning and some of his travel pics so I can nark, Nark, NARK!
        Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Welcome home guy. I was in Rotorua a few weeks back so have had a recent reminder of the need to keep the window closed. Although tbf we got used to that within a couple of hours.

I hope the wine list holds out for your stay. The hotel might need to place an emergency restock order...
        guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:34 pm A guy I know has just returned from 3-1/2 months travelling around Central America and Europe. Just in case he doesn't get picked up for a bill by the MIQ processes (he left well after the cut off time for no charge), I've screenshotted his Instagram stories of him returning and some of his travel pics so I can nark, Nark, NARK!
        I guess I’ve been conditioned by the Australian government’s total travel ban. I find news of people travelling confounding right now. My initial reaction is to say ‘what a complete test’ but I guess there might be mitigating circumstances at play.

Like being a complete twat, or something.