New Zealand...fvcked

All things Rugby
Duff Paddy

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Duff Paddy »

terangi48 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:52 am Inveitable that we'll have to open up the border eventually......agree with 85-90% to give kiwis the best shot of avoiding serious illness and hospitalisations.......prepare for an upsurge next year, by ordering boosters now, upgrade the hospitals with the necessary gear. Kiwis themselves can work out the rest (mask wearing or not, immunisations) though because of an awareness of health issues for employees, and those whom they serve, I wouldnt be surprised if businesses/services require employees to be vaccinated - double jabbed.

There will be implications for travel too.....Qantas kicked off the likelyhood that travellers will need to be double jabbed as well.
Doubt any country will get to 90% of the entire population - too many ethical issues regarding vaccination of young children for a disease that currently is not a significant threat to them. We have been doing the 12-16 year olds for the past 3 weeks and even for that age group it is an ethical grey area. That might change if a new variant starts affecting children more, and there are reports from the states that delta is doing that, but it’s not causing serious illness in any significant numbers
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

terangi48 wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:52 am Inveitable that we'll have to open up the border eventually......agree with 85-90% to give kiwis the best shot of avoiding serious illness and hospitalisations.......prepare for an upsurge next year, by ordering boosters now, upgrade the hospitals with the necessary gear. Kiwis themselves can work out the rest (mask wearing or not, immunisations) though because of an awareness of health issues for employees, and those whom they serve, I wouldnt be surprised if businesses/services require employees to be vaccinated - double jabbed.

There will be implications for travel too.....Qantas kicked off the likelyhood that travellers will need to be double jabbed as well.
To get near 90% you'd need to vaccinate all the children too?

Edit. Beaten to it by Duff
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:37 am That might change if a new variant starts affecting children more, and there are reports from the states that delta is doing that, but it’s not causing serious illness in any significant numbers
The current Sydney delta outbreak has 11% of hospitalisations aged 0-17 years. Around 98 cases
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

JPNZ wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:50 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 9:37 am That might change if a new variant starts affecting children more, and there are reports from the states that delta is doing that, but it’s not causing serious illness in any significant numbers
The current Sydney delta outbreak has 11% of hospitalisations aged 0-17 years. Around 98 cases
That’s high. Hopefully they all go on to make a full recovery. The stats from here and Europe are encouraging. What’s the breakdown for the under 12’s in hospital there
obelixtim

Post by obelixtim »

sonic_attack wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:08 am I do wonder re the end of it all though. Israel and Brazil already into their second round of booster hits.

My own personal feeling is we give everyone the chance to take the shots, then let it in and take whatever hit Covid hits us with. That might seem cruel or indifferent but I figured that was the path we were on or had to ultimately face anyway.

Does anyone else feel that way?
Yep, it will be good to see the outspoken anti vaxxers experience a bit of karma. And they should be at the end of the line for hospital care. No sympathy for them. They can keep pumping the horse pills into themselves.
JPNZ

Post by JPNZ »

Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:10 am
That’s high. Hopefully they all go on to make a full recovery. The stats from here and Europe are encouraging. What’s the breakdown for the under 12’s in hospital there
0-11 years is 6%.

Although not hospitalised out of the 868 positive delta cases in NZ currently, 121 are aged under 12.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Hospitalisations in children need context. Could be in for a night for observation as they err on side of caution. I'd be surprised if many were for long stays.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

JPNZ wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:06 am
Duff Paddy wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:10 am
0-11 years is 6%.

Although not hospitalised out of the 868 positive delta cases in NZ currently, 121 are aged under 12.
Well that’s not particularly concerning, we know they still get it it’s just that it doesn’t seem to cause serious disease in the vast majority. Hospitalisations are key, but Statto makes a good point there in fairness.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Looking at our figures it's 9.9% of all hospitalisations from the last two weeks are under 18 but the children's hospitals barely have any in them on any given night, the guy who I follow that tracks this noticed 11 one night in one hospital and assumed it was an error, even if it wasn't it was down to 1 the next night so I stand by my point above.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Given the vulnerable South Auckland community cluster bring the biggest cluster, I’m gobsmacked nobody has died from this outbreak in Auckland yet. Well, I saw one 91yo died but she had other health complications as well.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Just a hunch but I wouldn’t be surprised if children are next in the firing line next year. Last year we thought it would only get older people but now it’s any adult. As vaccination rates in adults goes up, it may force mutations that will go after children next - the only large group left unvaccinated. Hope I’m completely wrong though.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I think some countries are already vaccinating quite young children. Saw something in passing on a news clip, but can't remember the details.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Auckman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:02 pm Given the vulnerable South Auckland community cluster bring the biggest cluster, I’m gobsmacked nobody has died from this outbreak in Auckland yet. Well, I saw one 91yo died but she had other health complications as well.
Might explain the relatively high number of children in the figures as well. Generally larger families, with more children as potential household contacts.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

Another middlemore walk in testing positive after no covid symptoms.

Not sure how the heck they can get enough surveillance testing done to be confident of moving to level 3
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

11 new cases, all in Auckland. Trending in the right direction. :thumbup:
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Monkey Magic wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 11:07 pm Another middlemore walk in testing positive after no covid symptoms.

Not sure how the heck they can get enough surveillance testing done to be confident of moving to level 3
How many people has he infected in the last few days I wonder.
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

Auckman wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 3:05 pm Just a hunch but I wouldn’t be surprised if children are next in the firing line next year. Last year we thought it would only get older people but now it’s any adult. As vaccination rates in adults goes up, it may force mutations that will go after children next - the only large group left unvaccinated. Hope I’m completely wrong though.
This is a misstatement of cause and effect.
The vaccination rate going up cannot force mutations that go after children.
A single virus does not hunt around from host falling on the most susceptible.
It simply lands on a host and is capable of infecting it or not.

The reverse is in fact true, the more non vaccinated adult hosts, the more copies of the virus exist, and hence (because the mutation rate is constant) the more likelihood of a mutation that easily infects children.
Auckman

Post by Auckman »

Cheers :thumbup:
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

Trying to identify the origin of where the 4 unknown origin cases in Auckland likely received COVID must be real detective work for the people involved.

On another note, one thing that I observed during the recent lock down period was a lot of children under 12 years of old playing together in local playgrounds. I don't know what the science says about transmission between children, but I did wonder whether that's another potential source of community transmission.
AD345

Post by AD345 »

Got my 2nd jab today at the airport drive in centre (this is where they moved the mass vaccination event).

It was very very slick, a logistical triumph.

In fact, I would trust these people to lay out a production line for me - and that's the highest praise I can give.
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

Auckman wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:26 am Cheers :thumbup:
Just quietly, I'm not 100% sure I'm right.
Might have to think about it some more. :lol:
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

So I went to the local Countdown in Katikati yesterday to get a jar of mustard, as I was walking in the guy on the door stopped me and said I needed a trolley if I wanted to go into the store, I told him I was just getting mustard and he quite rudely told me no trolley no entry, so being a good citizen I got my trolley and in I went
While I was heading down the isle to get said mustard, about three or four people would have passed me going the other way and there would have been 50cm - 1meter between us, but there I am pushing a fuckkaking trolley to help maintain social distancing :x which kind of fuckwitt comes up with policies like this

We certainly don’t have to do this at my normal Supermarket, are there others out the making people do this, fuckking madness
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

We don’t have mandated trolleying at our local Countdown.

Did you put the mustard in the trolley or manage holding it and the handle to stroll to the checkout empty-trolleyed?
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

JB1981 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:15 pm We don’t have mandated trolleying at our local Countdown.

Did you put the mustard in the trolley or manage holding it and the handle to stroll to the checkout empty-trolleyed?
I went for the empty trolley option, it was my attempt at highlighting the absurdity of the situation, as I was leaving the store trolley still in hand, mustard in the other, with me shaking my head, another trollied up punter almost bumped into me going the other way, I spun around and gestured to the staffer on the door, muttering about stupid policies, before realising it wasn’t his fault he was just enforcing stupid policies because he’s paid to
I did however push my trolley into the trolley rack rather forcefully, which made me feel a little better
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Tough times in Tauranga. Keep well, boomers.
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

mr bungle wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:38 pm Tough times in Tauranga. Keep well, boomers.
It’s funny the little things that trigger you in times like these, oh and boomer :x I’ll have you know I’m far too young to be a boomer
Ghost-Of-Nepia

Post by Ghost-Of-Nepia »

jambanja wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:45 pm
mr bungle wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:38 pm Tough times in Tauranga. Keep well, boomers.
It’s funny the little things that trigger you in times like these, oh and boomer :x I’ll have you know I’m far too young to be a boomer
It appears you're boomer-adjacent enough to act like one though, Karenbanja. :D
jambanja

Post by jambanja »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:47 pm
:lol: It’s a fair cop guv :blush:
Muttonbirds

Post by Muttonbirds »

jambanja wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:06 pm So I went to the local Countdown in Katikati yesterday to get a jar of mustard, as I was walking in the guy on the door stopped me and said I needed a trolley if I wanted to go into the store, I told him I was just getting mustard and he quite rudely told me no trolley no entry, so being a good citizen I got my trolley and in I went
While I was heading down the isle to get said mustard, about three or four people would have passed me going the other way and there would have been 50cm - 1meter between us, but there I am pushing a fuckkaking trolley to help maintain social distancing :x which kind of fuckwitt comes up with policies like this

We certainly don’t have to do this at my normal Supermarket, are there others out the making people do this, fuckking madness
You poor dear.
Muttonbirds wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:40 am Meh. Tāmaki Makaurau doing the mahi. Discipline is everything. Give a nod, wave, and thanks to the people working. The people who help us operate under and respect Level 4. We're in this together. :thumbup:
Level 4 here still. All stuck at home. Kids stressing about exams. Sports tournaments cancelled. No work, and no idea when it will return.

But, trollies at level 2. :roll:
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Ghost-Of-Nepia wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:47 pm
:lol: :lol:

I live pretty close to the Cameron Road PakNSave so that's my easy shopping option... same trolley policy there.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Does the trolley policy actually make it easier to maintain social distancing or just block everything and end up jamming people closer together for longer? Especially those who may be going in the opposite direction to each other?
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

JB1981 wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:15 pm We don’t have mandated trolleying at our local Countdown.
It's the first time I've heard about a rule like this too. It's silly.

I find the the best way to make people stay out of your bubble is to wear gang paraphernalia, and to ask people "how the F* are you?'. Works like a charm.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:32 am Does the trolley policy actually make it easier to maintain social distancing or just block everything and end up jamming people closer together for longer? Especially those who may be going in the opposite direction to each other?
It creates space.

The first day of level 2 was fuckakking bedlam in there. Jammed and people trying to go against the general flow all over the joint.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

guy smiley wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:55 am
Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:32 am Does the trolley policy actually make it easier to maintain social distancing or just block everything and end up jamming people closer together for longer? Especially those who may be going in the opposite direction to each other?
It creates space.

The first day of level 2 was fuckakking bedlam in there. Jammed and people trying to go against the general flow all over the joint.
Do they have a one way policy in the lanes? I can imagine it working with that, but having been stuck in plenty if trolly jams just during normal times I can picture people actually being stuck next to each other if they are going in opposite directions. Or even of it is flowing still being less than a meter apart as they pass each other.

Maybe countered to some extent by not letting as many people in?
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

Tehui wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:38 am

I find the the best way to make people stay out of your bubble is to wear gang paraphernalia, and to ask people "how the F* are you?'. Works like a charm.
If that doesn’t work you could go fully menacing and pull out a fake cough.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Fat Old Git wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:04 am
guy smiley wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:55 am
It creates space.

Do they have a one way policy in the lanes? I can imagine it working with that, but having been stuck in plenty if trolly jams just during normal times I can picture people actually being stuck next to each other if they are going in opposite directions. Or even of it is flowing still being less than a meter apart as they pass each other.

Maybe countered to some extent by not letting as many people in?
No one way policy. It made sense at L4 as they were counting people in and out and limiting numbers. I dunno why they kept the policy on beyond that.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Three MMMs on your forehead works well, until you wander in a supermarket in a Black Power area.

This supermarket discussion does remind me that in lockdown 1 in Sydney people did stick to a left and right down the aisles and made very effort to keep social distancing. Lockdown 2, nope, it's like a demolition derby.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

UncleFB wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 1:36 am

Three MMMs on your forehead works well, until you wander in a supermarket in a Black Power area.
:thumbup: :lol:

And dropping a hot fart in a crowded shopping area is a good room clearer too. :P
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

23 cases today. A bit of a step up from the last couple of days but hopefully just a blip.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

While we're on the subject of daily stats, 33% of the target population is now fully vaccinated.