New Zealand...fvcked

All things Rugby
Grandpa

Re: New Zealand...fvcked

Post by Grandpa »

Delta is the problem... vaccines don't seem to stop spread at all..

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/englan ... 021-08-06/
CM11

Post by CM11 »

CDC on the topic.
Fully vaccinated people with Delta variant breakthrough infections can spread the virus to others. However, vaccinated people appear to spread the virus for a shorter time: For prior variants, lower amounts of viral genetic material were found in samples taken from fully vaccinated people who had breakthrough infections than from unvaccinated people with COVID-19. For people infected with the Delta variant, similar amounts of viral genetic material have been found among both unvaccinated and fully vaccinated people. However, like prior variants, the amount of viral genetic material may go down faster in fully vaccinated people when compared to unvaccinated people. This means fully vaccinated people will likely spread the virus for less time than unvaccinated people.
Re. the UK, likely not comparing like with like. Given that they're fully open and not seeing covid explode. It's a similar trajectory of cases to their last extended wave but this time around everyone is mixing and the variant is 2-4 times more tranmissable.

It's like saying lockdowns no longer work in NZ because you haven't suppressed your current wave of cases like before. The reality is that it would be far worse without your restrictions and actually you're doing a remarkable job keeping cases so low.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Grandpa wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:25 pm
Fat Old Git wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:21 pm
Grandpa wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:07 pm
Fat Old Git wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:39 am It's the people whom can't get vaccinated or for whom it has no effect due to other medical conditions I feel for. They'll be the innocent victims of the self entitled pro plague mob.
Though don't forget... being vaxxed doesn't reduce your ability to spread the disease. The only way non vaxxed people affect others is by using up valuable hospital space. Which I agree is bad enough.
I'm pretty sure that's not correct. While the vaccinated can still catch and spread it, many don't. And those that do have far milder symptoms. And given that those symptoms (coughing, runny noses etc) are the main vector for getting the virus out of an infected person, you would expect the risk of them spreading it to be lower.

There are figures out there showing that greater numbers of vaccinated people are now catching the virus, but those are misleading and mainly reflect the fact that there are now a lot more vaccinated people.
Well just look at the UK. High vacinnated population and cases higher than ever. They have given up on herd immunity because vaccines aren't stopping spread in the real world. See my previous post.
Except their cases aren't higher than ever:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

Their last peak was with a vaccine half as contagious with significant restrictions in place. And was higher.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

CM11 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:37 pm CDC on the topic.
Fully vaccinated people with Delta variant breakthrough infections can spread the virus to others. However, vaccinated people appear to spread the virus for a shorter time: For prior variants, lower amounts of viral genetic material were found in samples taken from fully vaccinated people who had breakthrough infections than from unvaccinated people with COVID-19. For people infected with the Delta variant, similar amounts of viral genetic material have been found among both unvaccinated and fully vaccinated people. However, like prior variants, the amount of viral genetic material may go down faster in fully vaccinated people when compared to unvaccinated people. This means fully vaccinated people will likely spread the virus for less time than unvaccinated people.
Re. the UK, likely not comparing like with like. Given that they're fully open and not seeing covid explode. It's a similar trajectory of cases to their last extended wave but this time around everyone is mixing and the variant is 2-4 times more tranmissable.

It's like saying lockdowns no longer work in NZ because you haven't suppressed your current wave of cases like before. The reality is that it would be far worse without your restrictions and actually you're doing a remarkable job keeping cases so low.
You need to compare to this time last year... and we did have a period of openness last summer. But cases are far higher now than then.

The argument was that non vaxxers are being selfish.. which they would be if vaccines stop transmission which they don't... may not be contagious for so long, but still spreading as much. But they are endangering themselves moreso than others... It's not like they are preventing herd immunity.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Grandpa, you need to read the answers you've been given.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

CM11 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:42 pm
Fat Old Git wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:39 am It's the people whom can't get vaccinated or for whom it has no effect due to other medical conditions I feel for. They'll be the innocent victims of the self entitled pro plague mob.
Though don't forget... being vaxxed doesn't reduce your ability to spread the disease. The only way non vaxxed people affect others is by using up valuable hospital space. Which I agree is bad enough.
I'm pretty sure that's not correct. While the vaccinated can still catch and spread it, many don't. And those that do have far milder symptoms. And given that those symptoms (coughing, runny noses etc) are the main vector for getting the virus out of an infected person, you would expect the risk of them spreading it to be lower.

There are figures out there showing that greater numbers of vaccinated people are now catching the virus, but those are misleading and mainly reflect the fact that there are now a lot more vaccinated people.
Well just look at the UK. High vacinnated population and cases higher than ever. They have given up on herd immunity because vaccines aren't stopping spread in the real world. See my previous post.

Their last peak was with a vaccine half as contagious with significant restrictions in place. And was higher.
They are higher than ever relative to time of year. Almost as high as the midwinter peak...
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Fat Old Git wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:48 pm Grandpa, you need to read the answers you've been given.
I have. They don't contradict me at all I stand by what I have said. And is why we will likely face another lockdown in the UK.
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Let's see in a few months. That'll be more telling. Both cases and severity.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

CM11 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:52 pm Let's see in a few months. That'll be more telling. Both cases and severity.
I agree. If the UK can avoid another winter lockdown it's a boon for the rest of the world. NZ included.

All that is assuming we don't get another variant even more severe than delta...
CM11

Post by CM11 »

Grandpa wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:48 pm

They are higher than ever relative to time of year. Almost as high as the midwinter peak...
Delta doesn't even seem to care about outdoors. And you're not comparing like with like. The variant this time last year was 4 times less contagious, at least.

I can only assume that UK vaccinated people are acting similar to here, and that's getting on with their lives and not living in fear. Restrictions or not, this time last year the majority were keeping their distance and not going wild at all.

Anyway, as I said, let's see how the next few months go.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

CM11 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:56 pm
Grandpa wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:48 pm

Delta doesn't even seem to care about outdoors. And you're not comparing like with like. The variant this time last year was 4 times less contagious, at least.

I can only assume that UK vaccinated people are acting similar to here, and that's getting on with their lives and not living in fear. Restrictions or not, this time last year the majority were keeping their distance and not going wild at all.

Anyway, as I said, let's see how the next few months go.
You are correct about a more contagious variant now. But cases are exponentially higher than last summer. And hospital cases are getting close to danger levels again. That is the factor which will lead to lockdown again... and I will be surprised if we don't cross the threshold in the next couple of months.. hence the govt warning last week.

We still have social distancing and face masks on shops etc. More by choice than rules... though mainly the over 50s are doing it.

To counteract variants I wonder if we will need to develop vaccines that do stop transmission... to give us a chance of herd immunity? Else each new variant will lead to new lockdowns?

By the way. Not trying to be argumentative... Just trying to offer insights into what the UK is facing... and being about six months ahead of NZ, it might give an indication of what's to come...
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

I'd suggest the general feeling in New Zealand is we're holding the spread off in order to get as many vaxed as we can, simply so we're not eating Covid raw with no level of protection.

The greatly reduced chance of severe illness being quite a step higher than standing there taking it with no protections. Death and severe illness being the hallmarks to avoid, so the less of us that succumb we will have done all we can or at least put ourselves in the best position we probably could relative to most other countries that couldn't achieve what we have thusfar.

I don't think there's ever been a time when New Zealand thought we'd get out of this scot-free. Ideally, we'd have been able to hold the whole gig off another 2-3 months when all the willing had had both jabs of the vaccine.

We're a population of obese people, 2nd (per capita) behind the USA. And we know that fat unfit people are most susceptible. There's 600K asthmatics in New Zealand, Diabetes is rife, and massive population of Pacific Island folk who're more at risk of severe illness as a result of infection.

I don't know if there was any other decision or choice to make but the route we took. I guess we will find out around Christmas time.
merlin the happy pig

Post by merlin the happy pig »

Grandpa wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:32 pm Delta is the problem... vaccines don't seem to stop spread at all..

This paper contradicts that finding:
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101 ... 21262798v1
Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

See they caught the self entitled twat who decided to use his essential work exemption to pop down to Christchurch to pick up a caravan. Makes you wonder how may actually slip through.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

merlin the happy pig wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:12 am
Grandpa wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:32 pm Delta is the problem... vaccines don't seem to stop spread at all..

In Israel. So US and UK is different? Different vaccines?

Though isn't Israel struggling with high case numbers again?

Real world data is showing in the UK that cases are still very high. That's not a study... it's real world data and it's on the news every day. its a problem....

From what I understand, herd immunity won't happen anywhere... unless we find a vaccine which stops transmission?
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Grandpa wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:39 pm
merlin the happy pig wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:17 pm
I would be surprised if this were true, I would have thought the vaccinated would have a lower viral load and hence less likely to transmit it, but I did see a paper suggest the viral load is similar, and heard from another source that it is much lower in the vaccinated.
So I remain confused on this point.
The evidence is in the pudding. Look at the UK... Boris warning on Friday that we may have to go into lockdown again as cases are almost as high as the peak... and a lot higher than they were this time last year. And hospital admissions are starting to get near the danger threshold again... and we are barely in autumn.

The vaccines have greatly reduced severe illness and deaths.. but case numbers seem almost unaffected.
It's not correct.

Being vaccinated reduces the incidence of catching the virus. If you are the unlucky recipient of a "break-though" infection, being vaccinated greatly reduces the likelihood of the illness being severe and also reduces, but does not eliminate, the ability of passing on the virus.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Flockwitt wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:27 am See they caught the self entitled twat who decided to use his essential work exemption to pop down to Christchurch to pick up a caravan. Makes you wonder how may actually slip through.
:thumbup:

Fines and penalities are also going to increase.
merlin the happy pig

Grandpa wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:36 am
merlin the happy pig wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:12 am

In Israel. So US and UK is different? Different vaccines?

Though isn't Israel struggling with high case numbers again?

Real world data is showing in the UK that cases are still very high. That's not a study... it's real world data and it's on the news every day. its a problem....

From what I understand, herd immunity won't happen anywhere... unless we find a vaccine which stops transmission?
1. Pfizer vaccine.
2. Cases still high, and reduced chance of passing it on are completely compatible
3. Her immunity requires a higher percentage vaccinated because the vaccine only slows rather than stops transmission
CM11

Post by CM11 »

The US aren't highly vaccinated.

In Ireland our experience is currently showing case and hospital reductions as we hit very high vaccination levels. The main driver for our case numbers now is u12s.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Fat Old Git wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:48 pm Grandpa, you need to read the answers you've been given.
This is PR. Wash your mouth out with gin
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Ted. wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:03 am
I would be surprised if this were true, I would have thought the vaccinated would have a lower viral load and hence less likely to transmit it, but I did see a paper suggest the viral load is similar, and heard from another source that it is much lower in the vaccinated.
The evidence is in the pudding. Look at the UK... Boris warning on Friday that we may have to go into lockdown again as cases are almost as high as the peak... and a lot higher than they were this time last year. And hospital admissions are starting to get near the danger threshold again... and we are barely in autumn.

The vaccines have greatly reduced severe illness and deaths.. but case numbers seem almost unaffected.
It's not correct.

Being vaccinated reduces the incidence of catching the virus. If you are the unlucky recipient of a "break-though" infection, being vaccinated greatly reduces the likelihood of the illness being severe and also reduces, but does not eliminate, the ability of passing on the virus.
Not sure what you are referring to as "Not correct" you pretty much replicated my post? Apart from case numbers being high... so are you saying UK case numbers are not high?

The chances of herd immunity are nigh on impossible for two reasons... getting high enough levels of vaccinated people is difficult... and unfortunately vaccines are not reducing transmission enough to stop the spread.

As CM11 says, lets see what happens in a couple of months. But the pessimist in me thinks the UK will need further lockdowns this winter to protect hospital admissions... because the current vaccines alone won't be enough.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

As CM11 says, lets see what happens in a couple of months. But the pessimist in me thinks the UK will need further lockdowns this winter to protect hospital admissions... because the current vaccines alone won't be enough
I’d be surprised if we have more lockdowns. Our hospitals have been over capacity every flu season and we haven’t decided to close down the whole country to deal with it. This is what living with the virus means, difficult decisions that mean that we live with a certain number of people dying from Covid every year. Lockdowns are not free, they come at a very high cost.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:08 am
As CM11 says, lets see what happens in a couple of months. But the pessimist in me thinks the UK will need further lockdowns this winter to protect hospital admissions... because the current vaccines alone won't be enough
I’d be surprised if we have more lockdowns. Our hospitals have been over capacity every flu season and we haven’t decided to close down the whole country to deal with it. This is what living with the virus means, difficult decisions that mean that we live with a certain number of people dying from Covid every year. Lockdowns are not free, they come at a very high cost.
I don't think Boris would have issued that warning on Friday if there wasn't a good chance? That was a politician's way of preparing us for it happening... rather than it coming out of the blue... don't you think? I think 60-40 it will happen. And that's assuming no new variants worse than Delta...
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

Grandpa wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:11 am
I don't think Boris would have issued that warning on Friday if there wasn't a good chance? That was a politician's way of preparing us for it happening... rather than it coming out of the blue... don't you think? I think 60-40 it will happen. And that's assuming no new variants worse than Delta...
The politicians will certainly threaten it to ensure that the population don’t go mad, and it’s an option that they can never rule out in case things go completely tits up, but honestly at this stage I think they’d have a much harder time to sell it to the population.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:15 am
Grandpa wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:11 am
The politicians will certainly threaten it to ensure that the population don’t go mad, and it’s an option that they can never rule out in case things go completely tits up, but honestly at this stage I think they’d have a much harder time to sell it to the population.
They'll do it be stealth... one small bit at a time... probably geographically like they did last year,...
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Grandpa wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:03 am

It's not correct.

Not sure what you are referring to as "Not correct" you pretty much replicated my post? Apart from case numbers being high... so are you saying UK case numbers are not high?

The chances of herd immunity are nigh on impossible for two reasons... getting high enough levels of vaccinated people is difficult... and unfortunately vaccines are not reducing transmission enough to stop the spread.

As CM11 says, lets see what happens in a couple of months. But the pessimist in me thinks the UK will need further lockdowns this winter to protect hospital admissions... because the current vaccines alone won't be enough.
This statement:
Is not correct.
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

Ted. wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:23 pm
Grandpa wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:03 am

It's not correct.

This statement:
Is not correct.
Fair enough.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Watching the daily presser and Chris Hipkins has just told us we've managed 75% of the population 12 and above with a first dose of vaccine and 40% with the second...

that's a pretty impressive achievement considering the timeline and underlines the competence of the government in carrying this out...

certain posters were claiming something quite different not so long ago.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:12 am Watching the daily presser and Chris Hipkins has just told us we've managed 75% of the population 12 and above with a first dose of vaccine and 40% with the second...

that's a pretty impressive achievement considering the timeline and underlines the competence of the government in carrying this out...

:roll: You don't think things might have panned out better if we'd had 75% of the population fully vaccinated prior to this latest outbreak?
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

I think the whole hoopla was because we weren’t first in-line and had immediate priority. Or somehow we were supposed to have received full allocation of vaccines to administer at exactly the same time as Europe, UK, USA etc.

All the Mike Hoskins fanboys getting all bent out of shape because privilege and the expectation we were going to throw an infinite amount of cash to somehow buy our privilege, and it was all a life ending failure how we just turned out to be regular normal folk that had to wait our turn.

There will still be something totally wrong with the process that makes the whole achievement pointless and wrong though to the self absorbed infinitely entitled folk though.
sonic_attack

Post by sonic_attack »

booji boy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:27 am
guy smiley wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:12 am Watching the daily presser and Chris Hipkins has just told us we've managed 75% of the population 12 and above with a first dose of vaccine and 40% with the second...

:roll: You don't think things might have panned out better if we'd had 75% of the population fully vaccinated prior to this latest outbreak?
Exhibit A.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

This outbreak has certainly acted as a good incentive for many to get out and get the jab.

Of course, it's unlikely to convince those who while ​quite happy to snort, inject, or smoke mystery substances obtained on a street corner from a fine upstanding member of the community know as "Mr Jiggy", think something manufactured in a highly regulated and safety focused environment is likely to be poison.

Or those concerned about it having tracking technology who have never thought about the fact that they have a mobile phone in their pocket and use a credit card everywhere...

Or are happy to take a variety of largely unregulated "natural" substances...
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

booji boy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:27 am

F**king hell Chompy, give me an hour to relax after I throw the bait out FFS
merlin the happy pig

Went out for a walk and saw exactly the same behavior amongst construction workers as I saw in level 3 last time.
2 guys inside a vehicle unmasked,
2 guys outside the vehicle with their heads in the window, unmasked. Having a good old chinwag.

Team of 5 million my fvcking arse. x(
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

NZ eligible population vaccinated:

First dose - 75% (total population 63%)
Second dose - 40%. (total population 33%)

I see some interesting demographic and regional disparities in the vaccination statistics.
Dozy

Post by Dozy »

You only got the memo
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

merlin the happy pig wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:59 am Went out for a walk and saw exactly the same behavior amongst construction workers as I saw in level 3 last time.
2 guys inside a vehicle unmasked,
2 guys outside the vehicle with their heads in the window, unmasked. Having a good old chinwag.

Team of 5 million my fvcking arse. x(
Well, at least they're not out protesting with the hard right over in NZ.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Tehui wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:05 am NZ eligible population vaccinated:

I see some interesting demographic and regional disparities in the vaccination statistics.
Not much different from the census. My brother worked in management of the last one. Southland had over 90% compliance. Oamaru not far behind. Places like Northland less than 50%.
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

mr bungle wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:19 am

Not much different from the census. My brother worked in management of the last one. Southland had over 90% compliance. Oamaru not far behind. Places like Northland less than 50%.
Yep, the hard to reach communities.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

:blush:
Tehui wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:35 am
mr bungle wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:19 am

Yep, the hard to reach communities.
Hopefully the Mr Vaxxy wagons will help reach them.