Drunken Brits - we're glad to be rid of them

All things Rugby
lilyw

Drunken Brits - we're glad to be rid of them

Post by lilyw »

England & Scotland have the highest proportion of people getting drunk per year & among the lowest proportion of people who don't get drunk at all. (These figures pre-date the pandemic). On balance I think that the EU are well rid of them.

(Thank God that the Aussies are on the other side of the world.)

Jim Lahey

Re: Drunken Brits - we're glad to be rid of them

Post by Jim Lahey »

I’d say I was drunk maybe 5 or 6 times in 2020, which is down from probably 10-15 in a normal year. Having said that I was having a glass of wine most nights which I normally wouldn’t have done.
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Define ‘drunk’...
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:33 pm Define ‘drunk’...
having drunk so much that your physical and mental faculties are impaired to the point where your balance / speech was affected, you were unable to focus clearly on things and that your conversation and behaviours were very obviously different to people who know you
Short Man Syndrome

Post by Short Man Syndrome »

Ah, phew! I’m rarely that drunk!

Usually unable to drive, mind...
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Short Man Syndrome wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:40 pm Ah, phew! I’m rarely that drunk!

:lol:
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

eldanielfire wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:42 pm
Short Man Syndrome wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:40 pm Ah, phew! I’m rarely that drunk!

:lol:
:lol: :thumbup:
backrow

Post by backrow »

Sounds like another made up stat that ‘proves’ somehow that other countries are better than the uk.

The only 2 cities where I’ve seen plattoons of pissheads begging and pissing their pants and generally being hammered when it’s not a big sports event, neither of the cities were in the uk.

It says mean times drunk - so presumably if someone goes on a 4 day bender it just counts as one ?
Last edited by backrow on Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backrow

Post by backrow »

Some better stats are here , moldova seems to be the highest in litres per person

https://ourworldindata.org/alcohol-consumption
nardol

Post by nardol »

the one thing tje brits brought to the table... ignoring the weatherspoons yocal
nardol

Post by nardol »

backrow wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:53 pm Some better stats are here , moldova seems to be the highest in litres per person

I see a very good way of getting the muslim centric part of the world to get a bit more chillax
backrow

Post by backrow »

nardol wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:20 pm
backrow wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:53 pm Some better stats are here , moldova seems to be the highest in litres per person

I see a very good way of getting the muslim centric part of the world to get a bit more chillax
So much this, get them drunk, let them shag women who probably should stay covered up, and then they would be as relaxed as kiwis ey so bro.

Not one head would be cut off if their nutsack had been emptied by some Fatima the night before down the Red-back. Nobody sane would want 52 virgins in the afterlife when you can have filthly slags in the here and now.
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

That will be self declared. The only thing that proves is that we're more truthful when asked the question.
backrow

Post by backrow »

message #2527204 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:48 pm That will be self declared. The only thing that proves is that we're more truthful when asked the question.
A lot of those countries would be too fûcked to answer properly:

Aidan: how many times have ye been drunk this year, Podraig ?
Podraig: Ah now, basically I’ve only been drunk once, that was January 28th...
Aidan: Ah that not to bad now ..

Podraig: ....until St Pats day
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

backrow wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:42 pm
message #2527204 wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:48 pm That will be self declared. The only thing that proves is that we're more truthful when asked the question.
A lot of those countries would be too fûcked to answer properly:

Aidan: how many times have ye been drunk this year, Podraig ?
Podraig: Ah now, basically I’ve only been drunk once, that was January 28th...
Aidan: Ah that not to bad now ..

Podraig: ....until St Pats day
Have you ever considered getting some lessons in written English?
earl the beaver

Post by earl the beaver »

lilyw wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:25 pm England & Scotland have the highest proportion of people getting drunk per year & among the lowest proportion of people who don't get drunk at all. (These figures pre-date the pandemic). On balance I think that the EU are well rid of them.

lilyw

Post by lilyw »

Must be orgasmic for you to find a stat that reflects badly on Moldovans. You can take the man out of Romania but......

They are almost entirely unrelated stats in any case - total alcohol consumption vs being drunk (binge drinking in other words).
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

earl the beaver wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:53 pm
lilyw wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:25 pm England & Scotland have the highest proportion of people getting drunk per year & among the lowest proportion of people who don't get drunk at all. (These figures pre-date the pandemic). On balance I think that the EU are well rid of them.

I have absolutely no idea what that gif is supposed to mean.
earl the beaver

lilyw wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:33 pm

I have absolutely no idea what that gif is supposed to mean.
That your images are so small I can't make them out on my screen.
DAC_

Post by DAC_ »

I saw this thread and thought of the countless bars in Spain, Portugal, France, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Gib, Malta and I wept for them.
backrow

Post by backrow »

lilyw wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:32 pm

Must be orgasmic for you to find a stat that reflects badly on Moldovans. You can take the man out of Romania but......

They are almost entirely unrelated stats in any case - total alcohol consumption vs being drunk (binge drinking in other words).
Moldovans are mostly Russian descent now so unrelated to my lot (who before maps were redrawn 100 years ago, were Hungarian anyways - nice try though)

Oh , and there are binge drinking stats there too, ireland has half the people binge , UK has a third.

So you’ve had a double whammy of being wrong liken cûnt there, chief
backrow

Post by backrow »

DAC_ wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:38 pm I saw this thread and thought of the countless bars in Spain, Portugal, France, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus, Gib, Malta and I wept for them.
Gib is dodgy, they give you change in out of date banknotes :(

Luckily I was able to dispose of these out of date / not legal tender any more notes later on that night in a Spanish brothel for some beers.
iarmhiman

Post by iarmhiman »

backrow wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:39 pm

Moldovans are mostly Russian descent now so unrelated to my lot (who before maps were redrawn 100 years ago, were Hungarian anyways - nice try though)

Oh , and there are binge drinking stats there too, ireland has half the people binge , UK has a third.

I thought Moldovans were mainly Romanian ethnicity except for the areas of Transnistria across the Dnister river where they are ethnic Russian majority.

I work with a Moldovan. His first name is Russian but his second name is 100% Romanian.
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

iarmhiman wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:46 pm

I thought Moldovans were mainly Romanian ethnicity except for the areas of Transnistria across the Dnister river where they are ethnic Russian majority.

I work with a Moldovan. His first name is Russian but his second name is 100% Romanian.
Russian 100%Romanian is not too happy about being doxxed!
backrow

Post by backrow »

iarmhiman wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:46 pm

Can be a bit blurry depending on who you speak to.
Perhaps a better way of seeing it, is that it’s a long way away from where my family are from , and it’s seen as a different country that is more Russian and (even more !) backward by them. I have no way of knowing if this is the prevalient National view, nor do I care to be honest - but that part of the world has just as much self identity differences as N.Ireland does with Protestants & catholics, with similar past virtual caste system of who got the jobs and where they lived.
I wouldn’t read too much into the names any more than Irish & English & Scots descent names in the modern world.

But anyways , my lot were iirc mostly Hungarian who romanised their names back when Bucharest was the ‘Paris of the east’ and was kind of leading the way in certain field so such as oil , medicines & aeronautics.

A quick wiki shows 7% of moldovans see themselves as romanian , so they are far less clingy about their more recent past than Irish & Englsih & french Joe Biden.
quarter2four

Post by quarter2four »

A quick wiki shows 7% of moldovans see themselves as romanian , so they are far less clingy about their more recent past than Irish & Englsih & french Joe Biden.
A little knowledge and all that :roll: Such Bullshit :lol:

75% of them identify as Moldovan which is ethnically/linguistically/culturally the same as Romanian. They are overwhelmengingly Romanian that ended up separated from the country of Romania.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

The big shopping mall in Moldova is called Malldova. It's like one big dad-joke.

And their Snickers bars have sunflower seeds instead of peanuts.

I think they have bigger concerns than their ethnic origins!
message #2527204

Post by message #2527204 »

Talking of getting pissed... air do slàinte to our freinds north of the border on this snowy Burn's night, and a big fudge right off to Krankie and our SNP enemies.
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
BlackMac

Post by BlackMac »

Yeah, possibly not what every bar and restaurant around the med are thinking.
backrow

Post by backrow »

quarter2four wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:55 pm

75% of them identify as Moldovan which is ethnically/linguistically/culturally the same as Romanian. They are overwhelmengingly Romanian that ended up separated from the country of Romania.
You are wrong, it was only part of Romania for a couple of decades in 19th C and between the world wars. Nice try though. They share the language in the same way UK and Ireland share a language. Are you saying Irish are ethnically/ linguistically / culturally the same as British ?

If they felt romanian surely there would be more than 7% who identify as such, instead of saying they were Moldovan and not romanian ?
Anyhows, it is not really important or relevant to me or this thread.

Moldova 15.2 litres per person
Ireland 13.0
Romania 12.6
UK 11.4 litres

It would seem part of Moldovan culture at least, has more in common with ireland than Romania.
backrow

Post by backrow »

As for heavy drinking habits (from that data, the % of adults who had over 60mg alchogol blood in last 30 days)

Ireland 48.2%
Moldova 48.6%
Romania 11.1%
UK 33.4%

O’Mldova !
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Amazed that New Zealand isn't up there with the Brits and Aussies.

Good to see the young'ins cutting back.
quarter2four

Post by quarter2four »

backrow wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:26 pm

You are wrong, it was only part of Romania for a couple of decades in 19th C and between the world wars. Nice try though. They share the language in the same way UK and Ireland share a language. Are you saying Irish are ethnically/ linguistically / culturally the same as British ?

If they felt romanian surely there would be more than 7% who identify as such, instead of saying they were Moldovan and not romanian ?

Ireland 13.0
Romania 12.6
UK 11.4 litres

It would seem part of Moldovan culture at least, has more in common with ireland than Romania.
They are Romanians who were separated from the rest of Romania and brainwashed by the Soviets into believing that Moldovan was a national identity instead of a provincial Romanian one. The comparison with Ireland and GB is ridiculous.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

quarter2four wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:15 am

Ireland 13.0
Romania 12.6
UK 11.4 litres

They are Romanians who were separated from the rest of Romania and brainwashed by the Soviets into believing that Moldovan was a national identity instead of a provincial Romanian one. The comparison with Ireland and GB is ridiculous.
Another reason being that they are subject to discrimination by Romanians.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

Any way - this thread was started so that we could all laugh at Brits.

Don't let Backrow's ancestral prejudices against Molodovans divert us from that worthy goal.
backrow

Post by backrow »

quarter2four wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:15 am

Ireland 13.0
Romania 12.6
UK 11.4 litres

You are wrong, Soviet Union didn’t even exist when ottomans ceded it to Russia, 50’years ornso before Romania even existed. It was only Romanian 1859-78 and 1918-40’approx.
UK ruled Ireland for significantly longer period of time, than Romania ruled moldova, the comparison is valid and just one you don’t seem to like. romania isn’t just one country historically , like the Uk it was several old kingdoms and people’s that eventually became a single country. To say that it was purely soviet brainwashing , is idiotic, it’s been part of Russia in one form or another for far longer than part of Romania.
backrow

Post by backrow »

lilyw wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:37 am Any way - this thread was started so that we could all laugh at Brits.

Don't let Backrow's ancestral prejudices against Molodovans divert us from that worthy goal.
this thread has followed the usual trend of Irish trying to mock brits, ireland then gets found out to have a far worse problem with alchohol, Irish choose to whataboutery the facts and get yet more stuff wrong about a country unrelated to any of my ancestors. It’s quite sad just how often certain irishers see the need to start anti UK threads, and quite funny how often they swiftly get proved factually incorrect : this thread re the booze, mullet about MasterCard yesterday - don’t you ever get tired of consistently being proven wrong and punching yourself in the face?
99% of the Uk posts on these threads are just defending UK getting attacked in some way, yet apparently it’s us that are obsessed ?? :lol:
You are a small man with a small penis from a small country, desperately trying to win and not seeing any contradiction at all through your Guinness tinted glasses.

If moldavains are romanian as you claim, then you are british. Simple.
lilyw

Post by lilyw »

backrow wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:50 am
lilyw wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:37 am Any way - this thread was started so that we could all laugh at Brits.

this thread has followed the usual trend of Irish trying to mock brits, ireland then gets found out to have a far worse problem with alchohol, Irish choose to whataboutery the facts and get yet more stuff wrong about a country unrelated to any of my ancestors.

If moldavains are romanian as you claim, then you are british. Simple.
I never claimed that Moldovans are Romanian; I simply said that Romanians are very prejudiced against them (in that regard the analogy with British attitudes to Ireland is very close).

This thread seems to have struck a nerve with you - you just can't seem to accept the fact that the Friday/Saturday night High Street vomitarium that defines your towns is a completely accurate picture.

No amount of throwing dirt at other countries, or indulging in hereditary xenophopia, will get away from that.
earl the beaver

No one is laughing at the "Brits" here though, if this was an intended troll thread then it's one of the worst I've seen.