NRL legend Roger Tuivasa Sheck to join the All Blacks

All things Rugby
Salient

Re: NRL legend Roger Tuivasa Sheck to join the All Blacks

Post by Salient »

And the freaking Aucks are all over him, wonder if a couple of current players will weigh up their options and this blows up in the Blues faces.
tubbyj

Post by tubbyj »

He actually stands a decent chance of making it. All Black outside back not as strong as previous generations if Jordie Barrett is able to command a position.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

He'll never make it to the ABs if the Blues coaches get their hands on him
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

He should have come over this year or last year to give himself more time.

The Warriors are basically an Australian side with a few token Kiwis now, I wonder if that influenced his decision?
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

This does seem to come up every year

Although might be possibility of third year playing out of Australia too much
Salient

Post by Salient »

Enzedder wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:21 pm He'll never make it to the ABs if the Blues coaches get their hands on him
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ... actually correct, and I believe, from good sources i.e. some dude on the train yesterday, that he want's to sign with the Lions/Canes :nod: Anyone disagreeing is spreading false news, thanks for the tactic Mick/Donald
Dark

Post by Dark »

It's official
Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck confirms code switch, heading to rugby in 2022

Warriors captain Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is heading to rugby in 2022.

The star fullback and face of the Kiwi NRL club held a press conference on Saturday confirming reports that he will switch codes to pursue his dream of playing for the All Blacks, with the Warriors agreeing to release him from the final year of his contract.

Tuivasa-Sheck will play out this season with the Warriors, who will be based in Australia for at least the opening month of the competition, before joining New Zealand Rugby, with the Blues frontrunners to secure his services.

“Today is all about confirming that this year will be my last year with the Warriors and, yes, I will be moving to New Zealand Rugby next year,” Tuivasa-Sheck said.

“The club has been supportive with the request and the options for me to explore and I'm so grateful for them. 2021 my focus is here, with this club and these players. I'm excited about this year and so should Warriors and NRL fans.

“Rugby is down the line and all that stuff will happen later in the year but right now my focus is with the Warriors.”

A former New Zealand rugby schoolboy representative, Tuivasa-Sheck has regularly been linked with a return to the 15-man code.

After nearly a decade in the NRL, which began with the Sydney Roosters before he joined the Warriors in 2016, the 27-year-old has finally decided to make the leap.

He refused to go into details about next year’s code switch but is expected to play fullback or wing in rugby, and will have 18 months to crack the All Blacks squad ahead of the 2023 Rugby World Cup.

The news is a huge blow to not only the Warriors but New Zealand rugby league in general.

The skipper has been an inspiration for the club, particularly during last year's Covid-19 affected campaign as he continued to lead from the front, despite spending the entire season away from his family while the team was based in Australia.

The squad returned to Australia in early January and will play at least the first four rounds across the Tasman. A return to Mt Smart has been pencilled in against Manly on April 9, however, that is dependent on a trans-Tasman bubble being in place.

While coach Nathan Brown will be focusing on how to get the best out of Tuivasa-Sheck in his first and only season with the dynamic fullback, Brown, Warriors chief executive Cameron George and recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan will be busy trying to find a suitable replacement for next year and beyond.

“This ain't a bombshell for the club,” George said.

“Peter O'Sullivan, myself, (Tuivasa-Sheck's manager) Bruce Sharrock and Roger have been discussing this for a number of weeks now so the important thing for us was to respectfully explore the options with Roger, understand what his desires were and, at the end of the day, Roger's earned the respect from the club to come forward and sit with us and determine the decision we have come to.

“We wish Roger all the best in 2022 and beyond. However, the important thing for us, our fans, our members, our commercial partners and, particularly Roger, is that 2021 is our focus.”

One of the most dynamic players in the NRL, Tuivasa-sheck will leave league with little left to prove.

He won a premiership with the Roosters in 2013 and was awarded the Dally M Medal as the competition's best player in 2018. The following year he won the International Rugby League Golden Boot award and has played 20 tests for New Zealand.

It’s unclear if he will be available for the Kiwis’ Rugby League World Cup campaign at the end of the year, where he was expected to play a leading role.

But what is clear is that he has one last season to capture the Holy Grail for New Zealand league fans by delivering the Warriors a maiden NRL premiership.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

RTS is a very talented athlete, and if he switches to NZ Rugby I have no doubt he'll do well and be in contention for the AB's. He was a standout junior Rugby player so the transition should be easier than if he'd never played our game.

However, whether RTS is playing Rugby or not is simply a distraction. We have huge selection challenges ahead. The AB's haven't had a settled backrow, midfield or back three for nearly 6 years (since the 2015 RWC) and our coach still doesn't know who his preferred no.10 is.
trapper

Post by trapper »

I’d imagine he’ll pretty much get straight into the ABs after 1 season. You can’t leave quality like him playing park footy when he could be in camp learning the ropes.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

trapper wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:53 am I’d imagine he’ll pretty much get straight into the ABs after 1 season. You can’t leave quality like him playing park footy when he could be in camp learning the ropes.
Yeah it's a tough choice between him or Jordie Barrett.
Dark

Post by Dark »

trapper wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:53 am I’d imagine he’ll pretty much get straight into the ABs after 1 season. You can’t leave quality like him playing park footy when he could be in camp learning the ropes.
Apparently he was on about 1.1 mill playing league, so doubt he would take the pay cut to move unless there was some kind of arrangement for this in the background.

Bit like SBW
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

I haven't followed League for years. What's his best position(s) in rugby?
BBB

Post by BBB »

Tehui wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:01 am I haven't followed League for years. What's his best position(s) in rugby?
I’d put him on the wing to start with then centre permanently.
Couch

Post by Couch »

RTS should play for the Canes, he'll get every opportunity to shine down here
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

He will earn instant respect at Twickenham with his double barrelled surname.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

BBB wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:05 am
Tehui wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:01 am I haven't followed League for years. What's his best position(s) in rugby?
I’d put him on the wing to start with then centre permanently.
He's the fullback/wing hybrid that the All Blacks have used ala Cory Jane/Ben Smith.

I really can't see him as a union centre.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

His level of professionalism/mental fortitude in a culture as rotten as the Warriors is one of the most impressive things I have seen in sport. It must be far harder to maintain standards when the external environment is shite - anyone could look great playing for Melbourne. If he was involved in a team culture like the 2015 All Blacks he would be absolutely terrifying.

Mentally he is the love child of Steve Waugh and Richie McCaw.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

A Richard Kahui-style right wing, perhaps?

It's worked before. Primarily for Richard Kahui.
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Jerome Manning wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:28 am His level of professionalism/mental fortitude in a culture as rotten as the Warriors is one of the most impressive things I have seen in sport. It must be far harder to maintain standards when the external environment is shite - anyone could look great playing for Melbourne. If he was involved in a team culture like the 2015 All Blacks he would be absolutely terrifying.

Mentally he is the love child of Steve Waugh and Richie McCaw.
2005 called, and it wants it Warriors stereotypes back. They haven't had a "rotten culture" for many years.

The Warriors have been a very well run organisation for ages now. Sure, they haven't been one of the elite teams in the comp, but they are not the hard partying team of two decades ago. Travelling to Australia every fortnight is extremely challenging, and of course being on the road last year for most of the season was also tough.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

I reckon Kalyn Ponga will head over too.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Flockwitt

Post by Flockwitt »

Soup squads are all full at this point. Are they realistically going to fit him in somewhere?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Flockwitt wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:33 pm Soup squads are all full at this point. Are they realistically going to fit him in somewhere?
They aren't full for 2022, which is when he intends to switch to Rugby.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

jdogscoop wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:39 am A Richard Kahui-style right wing, perhaps?

It's worked before. Primarily for Richard Kahui.
Tips me lid :thumbup: :lol:
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Be interesting to see where he fits in best.

Amazing talent for sure and will almost certainly start on the wing or FB but the reality these days is the wingers need to be very good under the high ball, especially in contestable situations and have a decent long kicking game and for all his obvious strengths I don't see these as being two of them.

Where did he play at junior rugby level?
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

Magpie26 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:15 am Be interesting to see where he fits in best.

Amazing talent for sure and will almost certainly start on the wing or FB but the reality these days is the wingers need to be very good under the high ball, especially in contestable situations and have a decent long kicking game and for all his obvious strengths I don't see these as being two of them.

He is rock solid under the high ball. Never seen any kicking game from him.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

Jerome Manning wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:27 pm
Magpie26 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:15 am Be interesting to see where he fits in best.

Under contestable high ball....where he has had to come forward to take the ball in the air....well he didn't look like a Ben Smith to me in some of the situations I have seen but TBF i only watch him very occasionally.
One thing that did surprise me was his short kicking game, a number of times on the wing he put in some pretty decent centering kicks.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Magpie26 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:49 pm
Jerome Manning wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:27 pm

Under contestable high ball....where he has had to come forward to take the ball in the air....well he didn't look like a Ben Smith to me in some of the situations I have seen but TBF i only watch him very occasionally.
One thing that did surprise me was his short kicking game, a number of times on the wing he put in some pretty decent centering kicks.
I’d suggest he’s taken more contestable high balls in his league career than anyone currently playing in NZ rugby. It’s not an issue. I’ve got no idea how far he can pump the ball downfield though.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

trapper wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:03 pm
I’d suggest he’s taken more contestable high balls in his league career than anyone currently playing in NZ rugby...
That's my view as well. The amount of contestable 'put your body on the line' high balls that league fullbacks need to take absolutely dwarfs rugby. If the worst criticism is "he's not quite Ben Smith", well, that's pretty bloody good.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Will see the shuffle of BB to 10, for ABs and Auckland.
Kahu

Post by Kahu »

Benji 2.0
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Enzedder wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:21 pm He'll never make it to the ABs if the Blues coaches get their hands on him
Aotea Rugby 2020

Blues played 7 won 5 lost 2
Chiefs played 8 won 0 lost 8

Head to head Blues vs Chiefs
Played 2
Blues won 2
Chiefs won 0 lost 2

As long as he steers clear of Gatland he'll be fine.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

He hasn't signed on for the Chiefs though, so that's a given.

You've been reading AC's posts for too long.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Enzedder wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:08 am He hasn't signed on for the Chiefs though, so that's a given.

You've been reading AC's posts for too long.
:lol: :nod:
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

In all seriousness though I don't think a move to the Blues under the tutelage of former All Black fullback Leon McDonald would be that bad for RTS. In the past yes a move to the Blues was the death knell for any young promising player but I think they have finally righted the ship with Leon at the helm. The 2020 results in pre covid Super Rugby then Super Rugby Aotearoa were our best results in years. I assume RTS wants to stay in Auckland.
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

booji boy wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:02 am
Aotea Rugby 2020

Blues played 7 won 5 lost 2
Chiefs played 8 won 0 lost 8

Head to head Blues vs Chiefs
Played 2
Blues won 2
Chiefs won 0 lost 2

As long as he steers clear of Gatland he'll be fine.
Here he is stuffing the Chiefs already :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmHbO4R8wOo

Seems he was on the wing as a youngster......looks like Reece / McKenzie / Jordie might have a job keeping their AB place....
Foot Up

Post by Foot Up »

I dont watch NRL so never heard of this guy before the other day. Looks very good. Bit like Milner Skudder I think. Is he a wing in union?