India v England T/20 series

All things Rugby
Post Reply
User avatar
dam0
Posts: 2178
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:52 am
Location: Spiritual Guardian

Re: India v England test series

Post by dam0 »

This had become demoralizing for England. India setting England 482 for victory.

That will make a hell of a song.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 31505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: India v England test series

Post by Ali's Choice »

dam0 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:12 am This had become demoralizing for England. India setting England 482 for victory.

That will make a hell of a song.
There is plenty of time left for England to score the runs, but it will obviously be very hard given the conditions.
User avatar
Kiwias
Posts: 41905
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by Kiwias »

Outstanding performance by Ashwin and Siraj to help him achieve the ton.
User avatar
Kiwias
Posts: 41905
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by Kiwias »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:16 am
dam0 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:12 am This had become demoralizing for England. India setting England 482 for victory.

That will make a hell of a song.
There is plenty of time left for England to score the runs, but it will obviously be very hard given the conditions.
Bit of an understatement, perhaps.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 31505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: India v England test series

Post by Ali's Choice »

Kiwias wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:19 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:16 am
dam0 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:12 am This had become demoralizing for England. India setting England 482 for victory.

That will make a hell of a song.
There is plenty of time left for England to score the runs, but it will obviously be very hard given the conditions.
Bit of an understatement, perhaps.
I think "very hard" is a fair summation. Perhaps a bit of an understatement. But definitely not impossible.
User avatar
A5D5E5
Posts: 11472
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: India v England test series

Post by A5D5E5 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:20 am
Kiwias wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:19 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:16 am
dam0 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:12 am This had become demoralizing for England. India setting England 482 for victory.

That will make a hell of a song.
There is plenty of time left for England to score the runs, but it will obviously be very hard given the conditions.
Bit of an understatement, perhaps.
I think "very hard" is a fair summation. Perhaps a bit of an understatement. But definitely not impossible.
As near impossible as makes no difference. How often have teams chased 480+ to win in the 4th innings on a pitch which was turning from day one?
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 31505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: India v England test series

Post by Ali's Choice »

A5D5E5 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:23 am As near impossible as makes no difference. How often have teams chased 480+ to win in the 4th innings on a pitch which was turning from day one?
I wouldn't have thought very many. But records are made to be broken and there is plenty if time if England bat well.
bimboman
Posts: 70006
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by bimboman »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:26 am
A5D5E5 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:23 am As near impossible as makes no difference. How often have teams chased 480+ to win in the 4th innings on a pitch which was turning from day one?
I wouldn't have thought very many. But records are made to be broken and there is plenty if time if England bat well.

https://twitter.com/henrymoeranBBC/stat ... 7157603330
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 31505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: India v England test series

Post by Ali's Choice »

Eng 17-1
C69
Posts: 41214
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: India v England test series

Post by C69 »

A5D5E5 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:23 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:20 am
Kiwias wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:19 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:16 am
dam0 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:12 am This had become demoralizing for England. India setting England 482 for victory.

That will make a hell of a song.
There is plenty of time left for England to score the runs, but it will obviously be very hard given the conditions.
Bit of an understatement, perhaps.
I think "very hard" is a fair summation. Perhaps a bit of an understatement. But definitely not impossible.
As near impossible as makes no difference. How often have teams chased 480+ to win in the 4th innings on a pitch which was turning from day one?
Highest 4th innings chase is about 390 iirc
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 31505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: India v England test series

Post by Ali's Choice »

49-2

That wicket was a shame because Burns looked extremely comfortable.
User avatar
A5D5E5
Posts: 11472
Joined: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Re: India v England test series

Post by A5D5E5 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:26 am
A5D5E5 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:23 am As near impossible as makes no difference. How often have teams chased 480+ to win in the 4th innings on a pitch which was turning from day one?
I wouldn't have thought very many. But records are made to be broken and there is plenty if time if England bat well.
We would have needed Jack Hobbs and Bert Sutcliffe to open and to have nationalised Bradman, Tendulkar, Dravid, Lara, Kallis and Sangakkara to get within 100 of the target.
shereblue
Posts: 4811
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by shereblue »

Another extraordinary third umpire cock up. This time in "our" favour. Root right back on his stumps. What is wrong with these guys?
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 31505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: India v England test series

Post by Ali's Choice »

That final DRS decision was simply unbelievable. I have no idea how that was given not out.
ovalball
Posts: 12924
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by ovalball »

shereblue wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:37 pm Another extraordinary third umpire cock up. This time in "our" favour. Root right back on his stumps. What is wrong with these guys?
It wasn't the TMO though - DRS showed the ball hitting the pad, as umpire's call. The TMO just followed the protocol. It was an odd one, for sure.

England have zero chance of even getting close to the target. The highest ever 4th innings score to win a test is 418 - and that wasn't on a bunsen like this.

Bowled poorly, especially in the 1st innings, and then batted poorly to compound the problem. Even if they'd won the toss, they'd have lost playing like that.

Our spinners haven't kept the pressure on enough, and they have, in general, bowled a little too slowly for this sort of surface.

I foresee another two bunsens to complete the series.

Found this interesting - clearly they wanted a curator that would doctor the pitch for them.

https://www.insidesport.co/ind-vs-eng-b ... nai-pitch/
obelixtim
Posts: 6267
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by obelixtim »

Injuns scored 600+ on this pitch. It can't be that bad. England press just looking for excuses.
User avatar
puku
Posts: 2520
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Saint Paul

Re: India v England test series

Post by puku »

obelixtim wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:57 pm Injuns scored 600+ on this pitch. It can't be that bad. England press just looking for excuses.
Really dude?
ovalball
Posts: 12924
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by ovalball »

obelixtim wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:57 pm Injuns scored 600+ on this pitch. It can't be that bad. England press just looking for excuses.
It's clearly a 'doctored' pitch - but that's what you have to expect in India. We'll see more of the sam now and we'll have to play much better if we want to get anything out of the series.

But, I've never heard of an English Groundsman being 'relieved of his duties' for not preparing a pitch that favoured England. Any Indian Curator, that values his job, will be producing bunsens from now on.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41634
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: India v England test series

Post by Anonymous 1 »

obelixtim wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:57 pm Injuns scored 600+ on this pitch. It can't be that bad. England press just looking for excuses.
They have better players of spin and better spin bowlers. That is why they very rarely lose at home. it's not rocket science
Last edited by Anonymous 1 on Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C69
Posts: 41214
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:44 pm
Location: For Wales the Welsh and aproppriate pronouns

Re: India v England test series

Post by C69 »

C69 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:24 am Bloody Hell I think India batting first will win them the test.
This pitch is going to be unplayable in a few days.
:frown: bollocks

Right again
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41634
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: India v England test series

Post by Anonymous 1 »

C69 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:58 pm
C69 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:24 am Bloody Hell I think India batting first will win them the test.
This pitch is going to be unplayable in a few days.
:frown: bollocks

Right again
whoever won the toss was always going to have an advantage
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 31505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: India v England test series

Post by Ali's Choice »

C69 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:58 pm
C69 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:24 am Bloody Hell I think India batting first will win them the test.
This pitch is going to be unplayable in a few days.
:frown: bollocks

Right again
Unplayable? India's no.8 batsman just scored a century, and their no.11 and genuine bunny Siraj was hitting the new ball around the park for fun.
ovalball
Posts: 12924
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by ovalball »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:11 pm
C69 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:58 pm
C69 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:24 am Bloody Hell I think India batting first will win them the test.
This pitch is going to be unplayable in a few days.
:frown: bollocks

Right again
Unplayable? India's no.8 batsman just scored a century, and their no.11 and genuine bunny Siraj was hitting the new ball around the park for fun.
Different game when you start your 2nd innings with already enough runs to win the match. Also a different game facing our spinners :blush: We did have them 100 odd for 6 though - and only Kohli of their batsmen scored runs - even against our spinners.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 31505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: India v England test series

Post by Ali's Choice »

ovalball wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:26 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:11 pm
C69 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:58 pm
C69 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:24 am Bloody Hell I think India batting first will win them the test.
This pitch is going to be unplayable in a few days.
:frown: bollocks

Right again
Unplayable? India's no.8 batsman just scored a century, and their no.11 and genuine bunny Siraj was hitting the new ball around the park for fun.
Different game when you start your 2nd innings with already enough runs to win the match. Also a different game facing our spinners :blush: We did have them 100 odd for 6 though - and only Kohli of their batsmen scored runs - even against our spinners.
I think you're underselling your spinners. They are great, the Black Caps would kill for either of the English spinners in this test.
ovalball
Posts: 12924
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by ovalball »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:42 pm
ovalball wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:26 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:11 pm
C69 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:58 pm
C69 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:24 am Bloody Hell I think India batting first will win them the test.
This pitch is going to be unplayable in a few days.
:frown: bollocks

Right again
Unplayable? India's no.8 batsman just scored a century, and their no.11 and genuine bunny Siraj was hitting the new ball around the park for fun.
Different game when you start your 2nd innings with already enough runs to win the match. Also a different game facing our spinners :blush: We did have them 100 odd for 6 though - and only Kohli of their batsmen scored runs - even against our spinners.
I think you're underselling your spinners. They are great, the Black Caps would kill for either of the English spinners in this test.
Trust me, I'm not. We just don't have alot to choose from - they really lack control and fail to really adapt to different pitches - They'll have good spells but rarely keep the pressure on - bowling far too many really loose balls as well as lots that don't really test the batsman. And both of them bowled too slowly on this pitch.
User avatar
jambanja
Posts: 5199
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: The other side of midnight

Re: India v England test series

Post by jambanja »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:42 pm
ovalball wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:26 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:11 pm
C69 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:58 pm
C69 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:24 am Bloody Hell I think India batting first will win them the test.
This pitch is going to be unplayable in a few days.
:frown: bollocks

Right again
Unplayable? India's no.8 batsman just scored a century, and their no.11 and genuine bunny Siraj was hitting the new ball around the park for fun.
Different game when you start your 2nd innings with already enough runs to win the match. Also a different game facing our spinners :blush: We did have them 100 odd for 6 though - and only Kohli of their batsmen scored runs - even against our spinners.
I think you're underselling your spinners. They are great, the Black Caps would kill for either of the English spinners in this test.
So first you say that the pitch is fine and illustrate it with no.8 scoring a ton and then you back that up by saying there is nothing wrong with the English spinners, they're great
Well which on is it, because you're contradicting yourself here
User avatar
jambanja
Posts: 5199
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: The other side of midnight

Re: India v England test series

Post by jambanja »

This may have already been asked but why are there crowds at this Test?
The last one was in an empty stadium, now there are big crowds...what’s up
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 31505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: India v England test series

Post by Ali's Choice »

jambanja wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 pm So first you say that the pitch is fine and illustrate it with no.8 scoring a ton and then you back that up by saying there is nothing wrong with the English spinners, they're great
Well which on is it, because you're contradicting yourself here
Strange comment. I'm not contradicting myself at all. The pitch was fine and the English spinners are high quality. The Indians just batted very well.
User avatar
not_english
Posts: 1828
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: London

Re: India v England test series

Post by not_english »

In a perverse way I think this result will make a lot of England fans happy. I don't think they have been very comfortable with England's extended winning run and many long for the batting collapses of the 1990s as a reassertion of the natural order of things.
User avatar
jambanja
Posts: 5199
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: The other side of midnight

Re: India v England test series

Post by jambanja »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:31 am
jambanja wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 pm So first you say that the pitch is fine and illustrate it with no.8 scoring a ton and then you back that up by saying there is nothing wrong with the English spinners, they're great
Well which on is it, because you're contradicting yourself here
Strange comment. I'm not contradicting myself at all. The pitch was fine and the English spinners are high quality. The Indians just batted very well.
:roll:
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 31505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: India v England test series

Post by Ali's Choice »

jambanja wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:41 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:31 am
jambanja wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 pm So first you say that the pitch is fine and illustrate it with no.8 scoring a ton and then you back that up by saying there is nothing wrong with the English spinners, they're great
Well which on is it, because you're contradicting yourself here
Strange comment. I'm not contradicting myself at all. The pitch was fine and the English spinners are high quality. The Indians just batted very well.
:roll:
Does sound logic confuse you?
User avatar
jambanja
Posts: 5199
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: The other side of midnight

Re: India v England test series

Post by jambanja »

Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:42 am
jambanja wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:41 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:31 am
jambanja wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:53 pm So first you say that the pitch is fine and illustrate it with no.8 scoring a ton and then you back that up by saying there is nothing wrong with the English spinners, they're great
Well which on is it, because you're contradicting yourself here
Strange comment. I'm not contradicting myself at all. The pitch was fine and the English spinners are high quality. The Indians just batted very well.
:roll:
Does sound logic confuse you?
As soon as I come across some I’ll let you know
brat
Posts: 4619
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by brat »

Shouldn’t be any excuses about the pitch.. both teams play on it -Indians too good

Toss was huge but that’s cricket- England got the luck last test -this time they didn’t

People should be talking about how incredible rohits innings was in context, English bowling wasn’t always accurate but 161 was a fantastic innings - and a match winner
ovalball
Posts: 12924
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by ovalball »

brat wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:56 am Shouldn’t be any excuses about the pitch.. both teams play on it -Indians too good

Toss was huge but that’s cricket- England got the luck last test -this time they didn’t

People should be talking about how incredible rohits innings was in context, English bowling wasn’t always accurate but 161 was a fantastic innings - and a match winner
I don't think the toss was that important. India wanted a pitch that spun from day one to prevent England from piling up a huge score if they won the toss. like they did in the 1st test. I doubt we'd have made 200+ on that pitch at any stage of the game.

We'll have to play out of our skins to get results on the pitches they'll prepare now. Bit of a chance in the day nighter - might give our quicks a bit of a chance, especially under the lights. But we should still expect a trial by spin on a dust bowl.

Our team may be a bit stronger for the 3rd test - whether that will be enough is doubtful - but this side has shown it can bounce back.

I know Ashwin got the MOM but, for me, it should still have gone to Sharma - his brilliance was what put the test beyond England. Without that innings we'd have still been in the game after the 1st innings and things could have been very different.
brat
Posts: 4619
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by brat »

ovalball wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:06 pm
brat wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:56 am Shouldn’t be any excuses about the pitch.. both teams play on it -Indians too good

Toss was huge but that’s cricket- England got the luck last test -this time they didn’t

People should be talking about how incredible rohits innings was in context, English bowling wasn’t always accurate but 161 was a fantastic innings - and a match winner
I don't think the toss was that important. India wanted a pitch that spun from day one to prevent England from piling up a huge score if they won the toss. like they did in the 1st test. I doubt we'd have made 200+ on that pitch at any stage of the game.

We'll have to play out of our skins to get results on the pitches they'll prepare now. Bit of a chance in the day nighter - might give our quicks a bit of a chance, especially under the lights. But we should still expect a trial by spin on a dust bowl.

Our team may be a bit stronger for the 3rd test - whether that will be enough is doubtful - but this side has shown it can bounce back.

I know Ashwin got the MOM but, for me, it should still have gone to Sharma - his brilliance was what put the test beyond England. Without that innings we'd have still been in the game after the 1st innings and things could have been very different.
Agree that England would’ve struggled anyway, but it definitely deteriorated during the game so the toss was significant imho - even in a psychological sense

Yep rohits innings was exceptional- he’s an incredible talent but just can’t seem to replicate it outside India in test cricket
User avatar
Tehui
Posts: 16488
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by Tehui »

Damn, England got throttled in the second test. What should we expect in the third test?
User avatar
dam0
Posts: 2178
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:52 am
Location: Spiritual Guardian

Re: India v England test series

Post by dam0 »

The first test pitch was worse than this one.

In the first test, the pitch was a road to bat on for a day and a half then deteriorated over days 3 and 4 to be virtually unplayable on day 5. Team batting first had by far the biggest advantage by being able to bat when conditions were excellent for batting and bowl when excellent for bowling.

The second pitch was dreadful from the start but didn't really deteriorate all that much. India scored only a little less in their second innings and England scored a fraction more in their second dig.

India would have won the second test regardless of the toss, whereas the toss was all important in the first test.
User avatar
kiap
Posts: 20279
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: India v England test series

Post by kiap »

Ali's Choice wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 11:00 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:40 am After winning 6 away tests in a row I suppose I shouldn't be to downhearted
Image
Image
User avatar
dam0
Posts: 2178
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:52 am
Location: Spiritual Guardian

Re: India v England test series

Post by dam0 »

I am not liking this day/night business.

Means the game starts 10pm my time instead of the very reasonable 5pm. Last 2 tests I have enjoyed watching when I come home from work. This one will barely see any of.

I suspect I am not the target audience.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 31505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: India v England test series

Post by Ali's Choice »

England 81-4 at Lunch after winning the toss and batting first.

Both Ravichandrin Ashwin and Axar Patel are bowling well and are looking unplayable at times. In the first session of Day 1. Pant's throat will be sore from laughing/taunting. Could be a long few days for the England batsmen.
Post Reply