6N Rd. 2 - Ireland v France. Feb 14th, KO @ 3pm

All things Rugby
ovalball

Re: 6N Rd. 2 - Ireland v France. Feb 14th, KO @ 3pm

Post by ovalball »

Gwenno wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:57 am
ovalball wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:00 am Ireland looked pretty decent with only 14 men v Wales. They were very good at keeping possession and gradually working their way upfield. Should be a good test of the French patience and discipline.

You can't tell much from the French dismantling of the Italians - they looked sharp but Italy were very disorganised. Opportunities will be far less against an experienced Ireland.

The 6 day turnaround will work against Ireland, especially after playing most of the game with 14.

My prediction - both sets of supporters will whinge incessantly about the officials - France will edge the whinge fest while Ireland will edge the score on the pitch - Ireland by 5.
Isn’t it another Sunday game?
Ahh - my mistake - good point. In that case, Ireland by 7.

Should be a good game - looking forward to it more than I am to watching another borefest from England.
Zico

Post by Zico »

Valentine's Day massacre coming. :uhoh:
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

How are you all feeling Frenchies?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Flametop wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:43 pm How are you all feeling Frenchies?
Very tense... The tension of expectations mixed with the knots of anxiety.

For someone who played his rugby at a time when France would make up for a poor game against any other nation by scoring 20pts past Ireland, and who watched Ireland getting their act together and becoming the best or one of the best European team who kept on beating us even if not by a big margin, I fear another of these frustrating matches, where your forwards ability to spoil our rucks, coupled with excellent kicking by Sexton and ill discipline from our forwards would mean another of these narrow defeats...

Yet, it is necessary for this young French team to deliver a message to themselves first, and to the world next, that they are really on the ascent and that they have the means to win the 6N consistently again, like it was the case 20 years ago, and Sunday's match is the first step in that direction.

There is a lot at stakes, here, for both teams. Ireland have to bounce back and what better way to get their 6N back on track than beating a hyped France. France need to confirm that they deserve the tag of tournament favorites, and this starts in Ireland.

In some ways, France are lucky they had a warm up game against Italy. Now, they have 4 big games to become champions. Can they finally deliver?
Ulsters Red Hand

Post by Ulsters Red Hand »

franch fan wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:48 am
DOB wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:05 pm
Trostan wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:38 pm Couple of years ago, when we recycled and spread quick ball across the midfield, French organisation would fail and holes would appear.
That's gone now with Edwards there.
Have to kick them back and hope for penalties and errors, because we won't win the collisions.
Worried if Lowe is defending Thomas.
Would like to see Hendo and Ryan starting.
Glad POM won't be there, Dupont too quick
Italy showed that there are holes in the French defense, you just need composure and execution to fill it out.
You more crucially need halfbacks with pace and creativity, two things Italy's young halfbacks definitely had and which i'm not sure the likes of Murray and Sexton have anymore...
Is Cooney in the Irish squad?
No, but don't worry as the Leinsterites have told us he is a busted flush
Trostan

Post by Trostan »

Looks like Ireland did the Scots a few favours last Sunday, given the Welsh injury count.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Trostan wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:13 pm Looks like Ireland did the Scots a few favours last Sunday, given the Welsh injury count.
I'd love Scotland to win that game. The team is progressing well and have beaten France, England and Wales recently. They had 3 wins in the last tournament. They are becoming the team to fear in the tournament.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Ulsters Red Hand wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:50 pm
franch fan wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:48 am
Trostan wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:38 pm Couple of years ago, when we recycled and spread quick ball across the midfield, French organisation would fail and holes would appear.
Have to kick them back and hope for penalties and errors, because we won't win the collisions.
Italy showed that there are holes in the French defense, you just need composure and execution to fill it out.
You more crucially need halfbacks with pace and creativity, two things Italy's young halfbacks definitely had and which i'm not sure the likes of Murray and Sexton have anymore...
Is Cooney in the Irish squad?
No, but don't worry as the Leinsterites have told us he is a busted flush
Which Leinsterites are these? The majority of Leinster fans big up Cooney on a regular basis. Others like Conspicuous would say the hype is unjustified (I don't agree) without inferring anything too negative either.
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

franch fan wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:58 pm

I’d be worried about Lowe defending Thomas too, but then again, Thomas is defending Lowe so it could all balance out.
Don't think so as I think Thomas is far better than Lowe attacking wise (one of the very best in the world actually in that aspect)
And one of the worst defending......
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

So, after our 70min training run, who are we picking at 7 to take DuPont out?
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

The Sun God wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:23 pm

I’d be worried about Lowe defending Thomas too, but then again, Thomas is defending Lowe so it could all balance out.
Don't think so as I think Thomas is far better than Lowe attacking wise (one of the very best in the world actually in that aspect)
I think Thomas will be busy trying to field high ball under pressure all afternoon...
hermie

Post by hermie »

Flametop wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:24 pm So, after our 70min training run, who are we picking at 7 to take DuPont out?
I think you need more of an Itoje-type character giving him hassle all day in and around the ruck (but not over-committing and getting caught out). But to answer your question Josh every day of the week. Not afraid of a high-tempo game if it comes to that.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

hermie wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:34 pm
Flametop wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:24 pm So, after our 70min training run, who are we picking at 7 to take DuPont out?
I think you need more of an Itoje-type character giving him hassle all day in and around the ruck (but not over-committing and getting caught out). But to answer your question Josh every day of the week. Not afraid of a high-tempo game if it comes to that.
A good old chicken wing in the face at ruck time and that could sort things out. :thumbup:
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

I guess he’s the one with the pace. What about Connors if he gets on to chop him?
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

TheFrog wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:36 pm
A good old chicken wing in the face at ruck time and that could sort things out. :thumbup:
It’s known colloquially as un poulet de Bresse in these cultured parts.
hermie

Post by hermie »

:lol: Just throw a boot him!
hermie

Post by hermie »

Flametop wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:36 pm
I guess he’s the one with the pace. What about Connors if he gets on to chop him?
Connors off the bench to be chopping the likes of Taofifenua
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Flametop wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:38 pm
It’s known colloquially as un poulet de Bresse in these cultured parts.
Where I live these days they call it Buffalo Wings.
DOB

Post by DOB »

I remember one of our Cardiff wins in the 90s, the Irish coaching team made the astute observation that Rob Howley was one of their biggest threats, and decided that it would be crucial to have the guard at every ruck make sure to tackle him if he moved. Paddy Johns ended up nailing him 4 times. It’s not about giving the job to one guy, it’s about making sure there’s always someone there to do the job.

Of course, with DuPont it’s not just about stopping him at the breakdown, he’s a serious threat from open play too, so it’ll have to be a many moving parts strategy.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

hermie wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:43 pm
Flametop wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:36 pm
Connors off the bench to be chopping the likes of Taofifenua
Tao is a bit of a useless lump. I wouldn't worry much about him. Our South African locks pairing, on the other hand, has improved a lot and does the dark work well. They are not shinny and fancy, but we've employed them to do what immigrants do.. the less attractive tasks... :D
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

DOB wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:45 pm
I remember one of our Cardiff wins in the 90s, the Irish coaching team made the astute observation that Rob Howley was one of their biggest threats, and decided that it would be crucial to have the guard at every ruck make sure to tackle him if he moved. Paddy Johns ended up nailing him 4 times. It’s not about giving the job to one guy, it’s about making sure there’s always someone there to do the job.

Of course, with DuPont it’s not just about stopping him at the breakdown, he’s a serious threat from open play too, so it’ll have to be a many moving parts strategy.
What you want is to bring him down and hold onto him a bit at the breakdown so that he is no available in open play.
DOB

Post by DOB »

TheFrog wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:47 pm

What you want is to bring him down and hold onto him a bit at the breakdown so that he is no available in open play.
Well we’ve seen at least a couple of occasions over the past 12 months where he hasn’t even been at the breakdown, but showed up in midfield/out wide and tore a team apart for a score. So he can be a threat from everywhere.
Flametop

Post by Flametop »

DOB wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Well we’ve seen at least a couple of occasions over the past 12 months where he hasn’t even been at the breakdown, but showed up in midfield/out wide and tore a team apart for a score. So he can be a threat from everywhere.
That won’t be a problem for us as Murray won’t be at the breakdown either.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Flametop wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:55 pm

That won’t be a problem for us as Murray won’t be at the breakdown either.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

What I mean is that who ever gets hold of him would do well to hold onto him for as long as the ref tolerates.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

Seems that this may not be happening. Rumor is that Penaud will start instead of Thomas.

That being said, I found Penaud decidively unimpressive when he came on in the center against Italy. Didn't commit in the tacklers and fluffed around. I hope he will show more determination if he is called to start against Ireland.

Jelonch's bulk may be preferred to Cretin's aerial prowesses too.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

TheFrog wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:02 pm

Seems that this may not be happening. Rumor is that Penaud will start instead of Thomas.

That being said, I found Penaud decidively unimpressive when he came on in the center against Italy. Didn't commit in the tacklers and fluffed around. I hope he will show more determination if he is called to start against Ireland.

Jelonch's bulk may be preferred to Cretin's aerial prowesses too.
Agree with your comments on Thomas and Penaud. The latter is actually very good under the high ball, imo. I've not seen so much of Villiere yet. Although a tad diminutive, he seems strong. Might he be a weak link under the high ball, if selected?
HighKingLeinster

Post by HighKingLeinster »

Irish team announced

Congrats on your win Frenchies :thumbup:
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Irish back line is not a position of strength
Da iawn diolch

Post by Da iawn diolch »

Big ask of 9 and 10 here.

If Burns shits the bed again, how many players do you think will be tweeting "Walk a mile in his shoes"?
Bogbunny

Post by Bogbunny »

Willie Falloon wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:18 pm Irish back line is not a position of strength
TBF only Ringers is arguably first choice in his position.
cfm93

Post by cfm93 »

Bogbunny wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:04 pm
Willie Falloon wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:18 pm Irish back line is not a position of strength
Henshaw definitely is, and Keenan probably is now.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

cfm93 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:06 pm
Bogbunny wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:04 pm
Henshaw definitely is, and Keenan probably is now.
Stockdale on one wing, who is on the other. Larmour hasn’t really had a breakthrough in green yet, too often when under pressure he has tunnel vision and that’s why he sits on the bench
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Is there any way back for Olding and Jackson or are they 100% done? Jackson in particular is better than Burns.
feckwanker

Post by feckwanker »

mdaclarke wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:37 pm Is there any way back for Olding and Jackson or are they 100% done? Jackson in particular is better than Burns.
No there isn't.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

feckwanker wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:41 pm
mdaclarke wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:37 pm Is there any way back for Olding and Jackson or are they 100% done? Jackson in particular is better than Burns.
No there isn't.
Thanks I just saw this which makes it 100% clear

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1 ... 0327171072
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:56 pm Agent Farrell has to stick with agent Burns
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
The Sun God

Post by The Sun God »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:47 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:56 pm Agent Farrell has to stick with agent Burns
:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Both of them should be f**ked out.
TheFrog

Post by TheFrog »

New faces with nothing to lose. Dangerous. And honestly, Sexton is past his best and it is time to blood new players.
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

feckwanker wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:41 pm
No there isn't.
I'd never write off Jackson.

He's the type of lad who doesn't take no for an answer.