Mike Tindall - dodges tax better than he dodged defenders.

All things Rugby
shereblue

Re: Mike Tindall - dodges tax better than he dodged defenders.

Post by shereblue »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:03 pm
shereblue wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:43 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:36 pm
shereblue wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:26 pm Typical Planet Rugby clickbait.

Nothing to do with Tindall. His accountants arrange his taxes like they do for any sensible person and claim benefits on offer. No hint of an artificial tax avoidance scheme in sight.

There's been no bribery or corruption or "donation" or even risk-taking greed. Let alone off shore planning or evasion.
But no one has claimed this at all.

Interesting to see some Tory types who've licked the arses of Dyson, Ratcliffe, Martin and the like now suddenly showing themselves to be envious lefties and so woke thay would apparently decline non-means-tested handouts such as child benefit, formerly free TV licences, winter fuel allowances, disability benefit etc, etc.

They like Tory nationalism though, oh yes and putting the boot into the genuinely poor. Questions to Sunak.
What Tories here has licked the arse off Dyson for his tax/financial arrangement then? Or ever gave credit to Martin who last I read here was roundly condemned for being a c#nt to his employers by everyone here and everyone else.
Pick me up on the rant part of my post by all means.

Tindall's been called a dick, a prick and so on. Don't recall which particular adjective you used but there's been no wrong doing alleged, so perhaps you should explain why you directed your own insult at Mike Tindall?

I didn't see anything deserving of an insult.

If you think Sunak has spaffed resources up the wall, then that's a different question.
No one has said Tindall broke any laws or dodged anything. But it still stinks reeks of a sense of unfairness in a moral sense when millionaires penny pinch of government handouts for private gain. Most posters here find it emotionally repulsive on principle, but for some reason you suddenly burst in and make it all about politics for literally no reason.

You seemed to have a bee in your bonnet for taking aim at Tories. listing all kinds of irrelevant policies. I mean people can think morally Furlough shouldn't be used by the rich and think child benefit shouldn't be as well. That doesn't make you switch to a leftie or a hypocrite.

What's more you seem to be inventing those positions people have supposed to have taken. I mean since when have people criticizing Tindal ever been against Child Benefit bein means tested so the people in most need get it? You seem to be making up imaginary arguments.
I admit I invited you to pick me up on my rant. You have. My mini-rant was gratuitous and not really relevant.

I hadn't been singling you out. If you don't want to row back from your insult of Mike Tindall, that's your privilege.

I accept that a good number find it "emotionally repulsive" when millionaires "penny pinch". Hence the tone of the article posted. FWIW, I don't share your certainty that a majority of posters here are in fact so repelled.

Except for impecunious widows rattling about in Surrey mansions, I personally don't know any active millionaires that don't engage accountants. While Chancellors both give and take, accountants will penny pinch. It's just how the UK works. And as far as I know that applies to the western world.

There's a whole class of Mike Tindalls out there. We don't even know that he furloughed himself. The reason he has been singled out is because he has a certain minor celebrity, enhanced by his royal connection. You can be repelled if you like. A number of feature writers will earn a good living being repelled.

I don't know enough about Mike Tindall. If thousands and thousands of wealthy people have benefited financially, whether from the furlough scheme or other aspects of our tax system, in a way we consider ill-judged, then we have plenty of information on which to base an opinion.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. Obviously he has no social conscience, which is entirely his choice, but makes him a prick.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

DragsterDriver wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:58 pm Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should. Obviously he has no social conscience, which is entirely his choice, but makes him a prick.

Why on earth is this a “social conscience “ issue ?

I’m sure he sleeps well enough.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I’m sure he sleeps very well indeed.
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

eldanielfire wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:38 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:32 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:22 pm
eldanielfire wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:19 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:05 pm Erm, plenty of wealthy businesses claimed furlough for their staff, it would have been advised to treat the company as normal and that would mean claiming furlough.
Plenty of businesses have decided not to. Andrew Neil said he has returned all the furlough payments to Spectator staff as has the Telegraph.

Then their staff were fully employed. Furloughed staff cannot work.
It means they applied for and received furlough payments because there was no work for those staff members. However they thought better of it and returned the money and paid them out of their own funds.
Yeah, the broad reasoning some media companies gave was despite ad revenue dropping they should still afford their staff (in some cases by dropping them to 4 days a week and 80% pay) so decided not to take advantage of the scheme even when they could.
The Telegraph and Spectator did take advantage of the scheme. They furloughed staff and put others on short hours and reduced pay in anticipation of revenue falls. Then overall revenue did not fall as much as expected so the projections on which they based the need for furlough turned out to be incorrect.

This was not a question of 'thought better of it' rather 'things were not as bad as we expected so we don't need the (taxable) furlough money after all' which is what both the Telegraph and Spectator have said. They could have kept the money, but elected not to do so which is admirable.
Duff Paddy

Post by Duff Paddy »

bimboman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:50 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:20 pm Fair enough for me, he just has a good accountant. Blame the politicians who allowed it.

Administration of means testing would cost more than it saves.
You hear this a lot. It’s bollox of course because you don’t have to means test everyone, just a few out of every thousand, and enforce harsh penalties when caught.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:02 pm
bimboman wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:50 pm
Duff Paddy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:20 pm Fair enough for me, he just has a good accountant. Blame the politicians who allowed it.

Administration of means testing would cost more than it saves.
You hear this a lot. It’s bollox of course because you don’t have to means test everyone, just a few out of every thousand, and enforce harsh penalties when caught.
The theory is that means testing costs more than universal benefits. Universal benefits also make it easier for those who are in genuine need to claim and get what they do need.

Perhaps high penalties and spot checks would work. Or informer incentives? Penalties directed at professional advisers rather than taxpayers or claimants do have some weight.

I stand by my belief that Tindall has been picked out on the basis of partial information available from public records. Linking that with social conscience is Dail Mail tittle tattle gone mad. Tindall does what every other person in his position does - bar a few with social consciences as refined as some of our esteemed posters.

I hold no brief for a Red Rose bosh merchant but speculative denigration of a retired and successful rugby player seems a bit off.
Last edited by shereblue on Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Nothing to do with Tindall. His accountants arrange his taxes like they do for any sensible person and claim benefits on offer. No hint of an artificial tax avoidance scheme in sight.

There's been no bribery or corruption or "donation" or even risk-taking greed. Let alone off shore planning or evasion.

Interesting to see some Tory types who've licked the arses of Dyson, Ratcliffe, Martin and the like now suddenly showing themselves to be envious lefties and so woke thay would apparently decline non-means-tested handouts such as child benefit, formerly free TV licences, winter fuel allowances, disability benefit etc, etc.

They like Tory nationalism though, oh yes and putting the boot into the genuinely poor. Questions to Sunak.
Lending yourself money that you seem unlikely to pay back would, in the normal course, absolutely attract the attention of a tax audit.

I have no comment on the furlough stuff. That’s just a feature of the scheme.
shereblue

Post by shereblue »

shanky wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:35 pm

Lending yourself money that you seem unlikely to pay back would, in the normal course, absolutely attract the attention of a tax audit.

I agree.

Depends on the circs, as always.

There have been legislative changes that he, and others, may be having to take note of. Often there has been a tax deferral and NI benefit in the past.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Noted

I'm sure it's all completely legal. :thumbup:
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

I had the same structure in the UK.

It was great, your system is very easy for contractors. I barely paid any tax compared to Australia, certainly no national insurance.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Zakar wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:25 am I had the same structure in the UK.

It was great, your system is very easy for contractors. I barely paid any tax compared to Australia, certainly no national insurance.
Yeah, Oz is more stingy
Edinburgh01

Post by Edinburgh01 »

Pre IR35?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Edinburgh01 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:32 pm

Pre IR35?
I always managed to stay outside ir35
shanky

Post by shanky »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:46 am

Yeah, Oz is more stingy
Odd comment from a banner-carrying leftie like you?

What happened to ‘middle class welfare’?

:P
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

shanky wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:40 pm

Yeah, Oz is more stingy

That's for when the Guillotine comes out (I'm looking at you).

In the meantime, it's nice to get some crumbs from the high table
AND-y

Post by AND-y »

So Mike Tindall is a selfish, entitled arse? Well that comes as a huge shock having heard him speak for two minutes.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:52 pm

Yeah, Oz is more stingy

You probably fiddle your expenses too, don't you.

"It's a victimless crime, mate...<stick that bottle of coke on the fuel bill will you Terry?>"

Disgraceful
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

shanky wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:31 pm
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:52 pm

Yeah, Oz is more stingy

You probably fiddle your expenses too, don't you.

"It's a victimless crime, mate...<stick that bottle of coke on the fuel bill will you Terry?>"

Disgraceful
Claims 4999 kms under the cents per km method
shanky

Post by shanky »

It'd be un-Australian to do anything else

:thumbup:
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Zakar wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:42 pm
:lol: :lol:

I actually do the mileage :frown:

Not having to do Tax for jobs when I lived in the UK, it took me a long time to get my head round the Kerry Packer approach :nod:
shanky

Post by shanky »

Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:09 am

Not having to do Tax for jobs when I lived in the UK, it took me a long time to get my head round the Kerry Packer approach :nod:
I bet you have $200 in textbooks as well, don't you

Not to mention the 'workwear'.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

shanky wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:33 am
Pat the Ex Mat wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:09 am

I bet you have $200 in textbooks as well, don't you

Not to mention the 'workwear'.
Gotta live on the whitecollar/bluecollar nexus :lol:
shanky

Post by shanky »

:lol:
kiap

Post by kiap »

Well looky looky at all the accountants on here, eh ...
shanky

Post by shanky »

Look at the bloke who thinks you need to be an accountant to know about lurks and perks

;)
kiap

Post by kiap »

It's like a bookkeeper's convention. :thumbup:
shanky

Post by shanky »

kiap wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:13 am It's like a bookkeeper's convention. :thumbup:
Har hardy har

Lookit Mr no-deductions

LOSERRRRR..!!!
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

shanky wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 4:27 am
kiap wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 3:13 am It's like a bookkeeper's convention. :thumbup:
Har hardy har

Lookit Mr no-deductions

LOSERRRRR..!!!
Watch out, he'll hit you with a string of charts soon :nod:
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

nardol wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:50 pm i would do it too in same situation

that said its fking rediculous that people of their wealth are eligible for these payments
He's not. His business is.

You think there aren't thousands of big businesses claiming furlough for their staff when they could easily go without? What's the difference? He's only claiming for one person, and probably at 80% of 732 per month. It's a piss take, but a drop in the ocean.
nardol

Post by nardol »

RodneyRegis wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:18 pm

that said its fking rediculous that people of their wealth are eligible for these payments

You think there aren't thousands of big businesses claiming furlough for their staff when they could easily go without? What's the difference? He's only claiming for one person, and probably at 80% of 732 per month. It's a piss take, but a drop in the ocean.
1 employee.

Well im glad the majority of tax which is all paid by middle class people are having a whip round for Millionaire Tindall (£33m net worth was it?). Its ethically wrong in my opinion.

I would do it myself however.
Bradwall Boy

Post by Bradwall Boy »

What's the evidence for the claim he's worth £15m?
JamesJames

Post by JamesJames »

Mike Tindall is one of my personal heroes. Not only did he invent the game of dwarf bowling but he also cheated on a member of the Royal family with a New Zealand "mystery blonde".
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

shereblue wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:41 pm
shanky wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:35 pm

I agree.

Depends on the circs, as always.

There have been legislative changes that he, and others, may be having to take note of. Often there has been a tax deferral and NI benefit in the past.
Often? Always unless there's fraud involved. And a benefit taxable on the individual. The taxman will also take a deposit of 32.5% (higher dividend rate) along with corporation tax until such time as the loan is paid down.
RodneyRegis

Post by RodneyRegis »

Zakar wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:30 pm

Pre IR35?
Everyone stayed outside ir35, and hmrc never won a case. So they've driven a bulldozer through it and basically frightened the shit out of everyone.
bimboman

Post by bimboman »

RodneyRegis wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:07 pm

Pre IR35?
Everyone stayed outside ir35, and hmrc never won a case. So they've driven a bulldozer through it and basically frightened the shit out of everyone.

Stuck it on the employer..... god knows what happens to contracting in the long run.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

RodneyRegis wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:18 pm

Fvcking dole bludgers though, right?
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Bradwall Boy wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:53 pm What's the evidence for the claim he's worth £15m?
Good question.

Tindall strikes me as an easy come, easy go kind of guy.

Highly doubt his finances are in tip top condition.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

RodneyRegis wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:07 pm

Pre IR35?
One patently false email trail suggesting substitution usually coverred me off. When did they rejig it?
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

Got to love the hypocrisy of your average (and I mean average) conservative voter.

"Bloody dole bludgers! What a waste of space! Get a job!"

* Criticism of people claiming government handouts when they clearly do not need them *

"I don't know what all the fuss is about! It's an entitlement and they have good accountants! Nothing to see here! Bloody lefties!"