New rules for Super Rugby Aotearoa

All things Rugby
Monkey Magic

Re: New rules for Super Rugby Aotearoa

Post by Monkey Magic »

I don't get how the goal line drop out is a good idea. Held up and then you have to head to halfway rather than have 5m scrum? Defend well and force a knock on over the line and you give the ball back?

In terms of encouraging attacking play, the best play from your own half is to now try and hoof it into the in goal as you'll likely end up with a lineout near the 22
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

Whatever wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:55 am
Sonny Blount wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:50 am
Whatever wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:29 am Follow ideas from League, hell no. What next, ban lineouts?

The rules that need to be changed are those around the scrum and breakdown, which continue to dog the game. Too much time on the former, too little clarity on the latter.

And limit the amount of downtime while we suffer referees "going through their process". We want to watch rugby not them, contrary to what they may think.
There isn't much time being spent in scrums nowadays.
I've been watching a lot of NH rugby lately, and there is there. The issue is when the ABs come up against a NH team with an NH ref, and watch it go pear-shaped.
Most scrums aren't optional though, so why the difference? Conditions and / or handling skills? More unplayable rucks?
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Whatever wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:29 am Follow ideas from League, hell no. What next, ban lineouts?

The rules that need to be changed are those around the scrum and breakdown, which continue to dog the game. Too much time on the former, too little clarity on the latter.

And limit the amount of downtime while we suffer referees "going through their process". We want to watch rugby not them, contrary to what they may think.
What law changes would you suggest to clean up scrums and the breakdown?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

I’d like to see the breakdown reffed to the Laws for a start before tinkering with it. As for the scrum... maybe take the hit out of the engage? Have the front rows engage then start the push.

As for these mooted changes... meh, I hate them.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Fat Old Git wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:34 am
Whatever wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:55 am
Sonny Blount wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:50 am

There isn't much time being spent in scrums nowadays.
I've been watching a lot of NH rugby lately, and there is there. The issue is when the ABs come up against a NH team with an NH ref, and watch it go pear-shaped.
Most scrums aren't optional though, so why the difference? Conditions and / or handling skills? More unplayable rucks?
Scrumming for penalties is a big thing there, and a mindset. Doesn't help with the soft grounds.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

League really is an insidious and awful influence.
Horrible sport.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Ali's Choice wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:18 am

If it was easy these wouldn't have been a problem for so long.

I think that the big advantage of Union over league is everything - scrums, lineouts and breakdowns - is contestable, albeit favouring the side with possession, and want to remain true to that.

Some ideas I've thought about, criticise away:

Scrums. Time off until the ball emerges. And have the referee put the ball in. Will mean hookers have to hook, maybe it will lead to more efforts to stay up from props and less collapsed scrum.

Breakdown. Want a call of 'ruck' as soon as 3 or more players over the ball, to stop slowing the ball. Maybe have the tackled player release the ball as soon as tackled, no laboured body contortions and extended placement of the ball - up to supporting players on their feet to secure ball, but gives a clear chance for a quick turnover i.e. more like an old-fashioned ruck. Maybe.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Whatever wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:40 pm

I think that the big advantage of Union over league is everything - scrums, lineouts and breakdowns - is contestable, albeit favouring the side with possession, and want to remain true to that.

Scrums. Time off until the ball emerges. And have the referee put the ball in. Will mean hookers have to hook, maybe it will lead to more efforts to stay up from props and less collapsed scrum.

Breakdown. Want a call of 'ruck' as soon as 3 or more players over the ball, to stop slowing the ball. Maybe have the tackled player release the ball as soon as tackled, no laboured body contortions and extended placement of the ball - up to supporting players on their feet to secure ball, but gives a clear chance for a quick turnover i.e. more like an old-fashioned ruck. Maybe.
Interesting - as long as he can penalise himself for crooked feed.
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

Whatever wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:40 pm Scrums. Time off until the ball emerges. And have the referee put the ball in. Will mean hookers have to hook, maybe it will lead to more efforts to stay up from props and less collapsed scrum.
Hookers having to hook at the ball in the middle of the channel doesn't work with the new, safer engagement laws. If the two side's scrums have anything near parity, then taking out the hooker from the push loses you the scrum (or at best gives you ball under extreme pressure). We saw it at club level when the "hit" was removed, with the ball literally just sitting in the middle of the scrum - it ends up resulting in even more collapses. Took about a week for a directive to be given to allow non-straight feeding of the scrums. And that's at grassroots club level, not at the pro level where everyone is trained to the nth degree and one player not pushing will see you savaged.

Unfortunately I don't think bringing back the hit (which allowed a team to get dominance prior to a hook being required, or the halfback to delay the feed and fart-around if they didn't) is an option, so non-straight feeds are a requirement moving forward.

As for the line drop-out - it does seem like it's actually a bad thing for the attacking team where it replaces the 5m scrum. In league it is an excellent reward, because you get another 6 tackles in good position. In rugby you don't have that limitation, so when you're in the attacking zone it isn't giving you much advantage at all - you're still better grinding away for the try/penalty/card than poking the ball through with a grubber. It's very easy to get a nice defensive line moving forward from a goal line drop out, as you don't have a staggered line of chasers, so the initial counter-attack is actually pretty easy to defend. It will likely encourage defensive teams to run it out of the in goal when it stops there from longer kicks, which seems to be what they want. They should have just implemented it as a replacement for 22 drop-outs and left it at that, with none of the replacement of 5m scrums (as loathe as I am to see any more scrums in the game).
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Demilich wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:25 pm
Whatever wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:40 pm Scrums. Time off until the ball emerges. And have the referee put the ball in. Will mean hookers have to hook, maybe it will lead to more efforts to stay up from props and less collapsed scrum.
Hookers having to hook at the ball in the middle of the channel doesn't work with the new, safer engagement laws. If the two side's scrums have anything near parity, then taking out the hooker from the push loses you the scrum (or at best gives you ball under extreme pressure). We saw it at club level when the "hit" was removed, with the ball literally just sitting in the middle of the scrum - it ends up resulting in even more collapses. Took about a week for a directive to be given to allow non-straight feeding of the scrums. And that's at grassroots club level, not at the pro level where everyone is trained to the nth degree and one player not pushing will see you savaged.

Unfortunately I don't think bringing back the hit (which allowed a team to get dominance prior to a hook being required, or the halfback to delay the feed and fart-around if they didn't) is an option, so non-straight feeds are a requirement moving forward.

As for the line drop-out - it does seem like it's actually a bad thing for the attacking team where it replaces the 5m scrum. In league it is an excellent reward, because you get another 6 tackles in good position. In rugby you don't have that limitation, so when you're in the attacking zone it isn't giving you much advantage at all - you're still better grinding away for the try/penalty/card than poking the ball through with a grubber. It's very easy to get a nice defensive line moving forward from a goal line drop out, as you don't have a staggered line of chasers, so the initial counter-attack is actually pretty easy to defend. It will likely encourage defensive teams to run it out of the in goal when it stops there from longer kicks, which seems to be what they want. They should have just implemented it as a replacement for 22 drop-outs and left it at that, with none of the replacement of 5m scrums (as loathe as I am to see any more scrums in the game).
Fair enough, Demilich. I was thinking that the ref putting the ball in - and not exactly saying when - might provide a better contest and less collapsed scrums. Don't like the idea of crooked feeds, takes away what used to be a good contest between opposing hookers with the chance of a genuine tighthead - granted that was a long time ago, and things have changed.

I do want the scrum to remain in the game, and the tryline dropout just seems like another attempt to eliminate them. I think Rod Kafer liked them in SR Australia, but I didn't, nor did I like the 40/20 thing. They can keep those for mine.
Morgan14

Post by Morgan14 »

Monkey Magic wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:32 am I don't get how the goal line drop out is a good idea. Held up and then you have to head to halfway rather than have 5m scrum? Defend well and force a knock on over the line and you give the ball back?

In terms of encouraging attacking play, the best play from your own half is to now try and hoof it into the in goal as you'll likely end up with a lineout near the 22
Yes, I agree with your thoughts.

That said, im not averse to a little tinkering now and then to see if there may be a different way to encourage more ball in hand / attacking rugby without fundamentally altering the game. Im not sure these changes will achieve that goal, mind...
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

I wonder where the NZR and RA's heads were at? I can understand they want tweaks etc, even if I don't like them all, but Super AO has got one set of rules (they not laws as they they are trial?), Super AU has another, so what happens in TT comp? Do we have then play under International laws?
ScarfaceClaw

Post by ScarfaceClaw »

What in the living fudge is this captain’s challenge bullshit. Now we get to spend the game listening to whinging at the ref and it’s all going to be allowed.

fudge right off.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Dan54. wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 pm I wonder where the NZR and RA's heads were at? I can understand they want tweaks etc, even if I don't like them all, but Super AO has got one set of rules (they not laws as they they are trial?), Super AU has another, so what happens in TT comp? Do we have then play under International laws?
This is the one time in the history of rugby that I want the more conservative NH unions to tell NZ and Australia to fcuk right off and vote overwhelming against this crap.

The other concern is that the All Black players will get used to playing with these rules then go into test matches at a distinct disadvantage.

Not thinking this through.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:22 pm What in the living fudge is this captain’s challenge bullshit. Now we get to spend the game listening to whinging at the ref and it’s all going to be allowed.

fudge right off.
Pretty soon it'll get to the point league is at where every single try has to go to the tmo.
Almost there unfortunately.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

ScarfaceClaw wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:22 pm What in the living fudge is this captain’s challenge bullshit. Now we get to spend the game listening to whinging at the ref and it’s all going to be allowed.

fudge right off.
Agree, tell a kid that you have to accept the refs word in a game, oh shit but not if you don't like their decision? I always liked that the refs decision was final, and I know we got TMOs , but they are actually refs like it or not!
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Whatever wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:28 pm
Dan54. wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:11 pm I wonder where the NZR and RA's heads were at? I can understand they want tweaks etc, even if I don't like them all, but Super AO has got one set of rules (they not laws as they they are trial?), Super AU has another, so what happens in TT comp? Do we have then play under International laws?
This is the one time in the history of rugby that I want the more conservative NH unions to tell NZ and Australia to fcuk right off and vote overwhelming against this crap.

The other concern is that the All Black players will get used to playing with these rules then go into test matches at a distinct disadvantage.

Not thinking this through.
:thumbup:
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Floppykid wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:27 pm League really is an insidious and awful influence.
Horrible sport.
you are such a aussie suckup
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:49 am
Floppykid wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:27 pm League really is an insidious and awful influence.
Horrible sport.
Nah, just hate league.
Got plenty of it on BBC and it was always such a cheap, tacky product.
JamesJames

Post by JamesJames »

They should adopt more league rules like smoke meth after the match and then king hit some sucker in the urinal. Or, see who could anal finger the halfback. Props would love that.
mdaclarke

Post by mdaclarke »

Globally Union is far more popular than League. Maybe the rules should flow the other way,

If I wanted to watch League then I would watch League.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Floppykid wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:46 pm
Horrible sport.
Nah, just hate league.
Things I hate I tend not to watch
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

I don't think it fixes the problem. While there is a problem with 3 scrum collapses in a row taking a few minutes off the clock, you're still going to get 3 scrum collapses in a row.

The issue with the scrum is gaming. Someone on this board once suggested scrum penalties should become free kicks instead of penalty kicks. I think it's a good idea.
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

Floppykid wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:36 pm

fudge right off.
Pretty soon it'll get to the point league is at where every single try has to go to the tmo.
Almost there unfortunately.
Considering it takes a minute until the kicker kicks the conversion as he stands there, drinks some water, fixes his hair, places the tee down, adjust the ball 3 times, if he's Farrell look at the posts like a psychopath before he starts his movement, TV does a half dozen replays, there's no reason a TMO automatic review of a try score shouldn't already be a thing and if the TMO sees something, he calls down to the ref.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:36 pm
Horrible sport.
Nah, just hate league.
I was trying to give it every chance.
Every time I got bored before a match/highlight show was done.
A rudimentary, repetitive and dull sport.
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Floppykid wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 pm
Horrible sport.
Nah, just hate league.
You're a try hard Aussie wannabe. You've even called the sport "loig"
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:01 pm
Floppykid wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:56 pm
Nah, just hate league.
You're a try hard Aussie wannabe. You've even called the sport "loig"
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Horrible sport.
I’d rather watch a quality State of Origin game than Irish rugby.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

mr bungle wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:35 pm
Horrible sport.
Have to take your word for that mate, I been to one State of Origin when I first moved to Aus and left before fulltime, just not for me. I will say it was during Super league days, but I tried watching one more time on TV a few years later, but just couldn't watch more than 10 minutes.
MungoMan

Post by MungoMan »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:43 pm

I don't think it fixes the problem. While there is a problem with 3 scrum collapses in a row taking a few minutes off the clock, you're still going to get 3 scrum collapses in a row.

The issue with the scrum is gaming. Someone on this board once suggested scrum penalties should become free kicks instead of penalty kicks. I think it's a good idea.
Another RL idea.

Before league brought in the uncontested scrum, several years earlier the option of kicking for goal from a scrum penalty had been removed. (In RL this was known as a 'differential penalty').
Flyin Ryan

Post by Flyin Ryan »

MungoMan wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:35 pm

Another RL idea.

Before league brought in the uncontested scrum, several years earlier the option of kicking for goal from a scrum penalty had been removed. (In RL this was known as a 'differential penalty').
Then referees need to become A LOT better at determining who is at fault and intentionally collapsing scrums.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Flyin Ryan wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:52 am
MungoMan wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:35 pm

Another RL idea.

Then referees need to become A LOT better at determining who is at fault and intentionally collapsing scrums.
Not easy, especially as not many props become referees... Perhaps make simpler rules: the first to lose his bind, or hit the deck (knee, elbow, chest whatever).

As much as I hate the prevalence of scrumming for penalties in the north, devaluing them to free kicks will probably just make teams go for another scrum (being as they just won a scrum). Unless they eliminate the option of a scrum for a free kick.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

JamesJames wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:56 pm They should adopt more league rules like smoke meth after the match and then king hit some sucker in the urinal. Or, see who could anal finger the halfback. Props would love that.
Don't forget to drink your own piss, shit in a hotel lobby and get a gobby from your dog.
grievous

Post by grievous »

Horrible sport.
Not a rugby man then.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

grievous wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:22 pm
Horrible sport.
Not a rugby man then.
I'm sympathetic to the various views.

We are in an enviable position in NZ. Rugby is the numero uno winter code, in fact the national game. League has some cut through, particularly in South Auckland, but rugby reigns supreme.

The NH is in a similar position with the Six Nations, in truth. fudge all else is going on in the depths of winter to challenge it, save for a meaningless round of otherwise all consuming football. It manages to carve out its place.

Spare a thought for Straya. The population of 25 odd million really does struggle to sustain the winter codes of AFL, rugby union, rugby league, and A-league football all at the same time. Maybe it's just the organisation I work for, but the only game I have ever heard seriously discussed in the office at any time of year is AFL. If you think cricket is the national game you are f**king dreaming.
Last edited by jdogscoop on Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

JamesJames wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:56 pm They should adopt more league rules like smoke meth after the match and then king hit some sucker in the urinal. Or, see who could anal finger the halfback. Props would love that.
:lol:
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

guy smiley wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:50 am I’d like to see the breakdown reffed to the Laws for a start before tinkering with it. As for the scrum... maybe take the hit out of the engage? Have the front rows engage then start the push.

As for these mooted changes... meh, I hate them.
I much agree. Make the laws around the rucks actually have to be followed, especially off your feet stuff
grievous

Post by grievous »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:28 pm
Horrible sport.
Not a rugby man then.

We are in an enviable position in NZ. Rugby is the numero uno winter code, in fact the national game. League has some cut through, particularly in South Auckland, but rugby reigns supreme.

The NH is in a similar position with the Six Nations, in truth. fudge all else is going on in the depths of winter to challenge it, save for a meaningless round of otherwise all consuming football. It manages to carve out its place.

Spare a thought for Straya. The population of 25 odd million really does struggle to sustain the winter codes of AFL, rugby union, rugby league, and A-league football all at the same time. Maybe it's just the organisation I work for, but the only game I have ever heard seriously discussed in the office at any time of year is AFL. If you think cricket is the national game you are f**king dreaming.
In Melbourne...what do you expect. Conversely the same city that supports 4 winter football codes better than any other.
Cricket is the undisputed national sport.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

grievous wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:38 pm
Horrible sport.
Not a rugby man then.

In Melbourne...what do you expect. Conversely the same city that supports 4 winter football codes better than any other.
I would expect that Melbourne, home of the Melbourne Cricket Ground, home of test cricket, would indeed make its claim as the national sport loud and fvcking proud.

The fact of the matter is no one gives a fudge. Not even the guys talk about it at work.

AFL does get women and men interested. That's a given here, but why doesn't cricket rate more than a passing mention?

Cricket isn't the national sport in Australia. I don't think anything is. It's a fragmented mess, with AFL probably having the strongest claims due in part to it not being played anywhere else.
grievous

Post by grievous »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:52 pm
grievous wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:38 pm

Not a rugby man then.

I would expect that Melbourne, home of the Melbourne Cricket Ground, home of test cricket, would indeed make its claim as the national sport loud and fvcking proud.

The fact of the matter is no one gives a fudge. Not even the guys talk about it at work.

AFL does get women and men interested. That's a given here, but why doesn't cricket rate more than a passing mention?

Cricket isn't the national sport in Australia. I don't think anything is. It's a fragmented mess, with AFL probably having the strongest claims due in part to it not being played anywhere else.
Victorian makes classic Victorian call that Victoria is the centre of Oz.