New rules for Super Rugby Aotearoa

All things Rugby
JPNZ

New rules for Super Rugby Aotearoa

Post by JPNZ »

Following league a bit..
Goal line drop outs and a captain's challenge have been announced for Super Rugby Aotearoa, just weeks out from the competition start.

The two league-style innovations will make their debut when Super Rugby trial matches are played this weekend. The competition starts a fortnight later.

Captains will have 10 seconds after a try is scored to challenge anything since the last stoppage.

But from the 75th minute, they can make a challenge whether a try is scored or not. Alleged foul play can be challenged at any time throughout a match.

An incorrect challenge at any point of the game means all future challenge opportunities are lost.

While the challenge system could heavily influence the outcome of matches, the goal line drop out has the potential to change how the game is played.

The aim is to "reward attacking teams by allowing them to build pressure and to encourage defending teams to clear the ball from their in-goal area" according to New Zealand Rugby's high performance boss Mike Anthony.

It may also put a premium on players with long drop kicks, or encourage the art over the coming years.

A goal line drop out will be ordered after an attacking player is held up in goal or knocks the ball on, and when a kick – although not a penalty kick or drop goal attempt – is grounded in goal or otherwise made dead.

Anthony said the aim was to make the game more attractive.

"We''re constantly look at how we can make the game faster and fairer…a better spectacle," Anthony said.

There had been "great support" from coaches and players for the goal line drop out.

Anthony said: "The current re-start rule of a 22-metre drop out often pushes the receiving team well back into their own half and we think teams will be more likely to counter attack from a goal line drop-out, which will in turn lead to more attacking pressure and hopefully more tries."

National referees manager Bryce Lawrence said the captain's referral would, among other things, hopefully reduce the risk of games being decided by incorrect calls.
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Re: New rules for Super Rugby Aotearoa

Post by Enzedder »

Yay - that will save 5 minutes for every 5 metre scrum.

Do NOT agree with Golden Point extra time. Draws are a very valid result.
Last edited by Enzedder on Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Hmmmm, so a drop kick is an art all of a sudden?
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:01 pm Hmmmm, so a drop kick is an art all of a sudden?
In NZ yes
Enzedder
Location: End of the road, turn right and first house on the left

Post by Enzedder »

Gavin Duffy wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:01 pm Hmmmm, so a drop kick is an art all of a sudden?
Not at all - we have used them to restart matches (from 22s) for decades.We understand that teams can get good at using them to restart games after tries being scored against them, but we don't know much about that.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

But from the 75th minute, they can make a challenge whether a try is scored or not. Alleged foul play can be challenged at any time throughout a match.
Given how there's an infringement in pretty much every ruck if you look hard enough, then this sounds like a proper shit idea that is going to add another 10-15 minutes to the last '5 minutes' of the game.
Gavin Duffy

Post by Gavin Duffy »

Is John O'Neill in NZ?
CanNZ2000

Post by CanNZ2000 »

I would have made an additional change. If you kick it out on the full, no matter where you are on the pitch, the LO is where the kick was made, no more inside the 22 exception. This would put more pressure on the defensive team to be more accurate with their clearance kicks and would reward the attacking team with potentially good field position.

The captain challenge I am okay with in principle but do worry that it could be overdone, especially in the final 5 minutes as others have said.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

CanNZ2000 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:30 pm I would have made an additional change. If you kick it out on the full, no matter where you are on the pitch, the LO is where the kick was made, no more inside the 22 exception. This would put more pressure on the defensive team to be more accurate with their clearance kicks and would reward the attacking team with potentially good field position.

The captain challenge I am okay with in principle but do worry that it could be overdone, especially in the final 5 minutes as others have said.
If you remove don't allow direct to touch from inside the 22, you start to denude the importance of the lineout in my opinion. Some may say that's acceptable as your suggestion would certainly lift the 'ball in play' time.
Clogs

Post by Clogs »

CanNZ2000 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:30 pm I would have made an additional change. If you kick it out on the full, no matter where you are on the pitch, the LO is where the kick was made, no more inside the 22 exception. This would put more pressure on the defensive team to be more accurate with their clearance kicks and would reward the attacking team with potentially good field position.

The game will become box kicks into the 22. Put enough pressure and you can win a lineout in a great attacking position. Encourage and reward ball in hand attacking and discourage kicking in the field of play is the way forward.
Salient

Post by Salient »

Enzedder wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:00 pm Yay - that will save 5 minutes for every 5 metre scrum.

Do NOT agree with Golden Point extra time. Draws are a very valid result.
Hey you are forgetting the cardinal rule of the current rugby board, tinker with it till it breaks :nod:
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

STOP. FE*KING. WITH. THE. GAME!!!

:x
shanky

Post by shanky »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:02 pm
In NZ yes
Savage

:lol:
Ali's Choice

Post by Ali's Choice »

Keen to see how these new laws work. As usual the NH fans will hysterically cry about any changes, and call them a 'cheats charter' forgetting the fact that they've only won a single RWC under the existing laws.
Mullet 2

Post by Mullet 2 »

Captains Challenge

WTF :lol: :lol:
trapper

Post by trapper »

Is this just to bring more in line with Super Rugby AU so that when the Trans Tasman starts they are playing under the same rules?
Anonymous 1

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Rugby League leading union by the nose as per :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Why rugby continually feels compelled to follow other sports, taking rugby down a route of similarity and contrived results, beggars belief. Mike Anthony sounds like a typical marketing twit who has no feel for the game.
Last edited by Ted. on Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

Jeff the Bear wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:11 pm
Given how there's an infringement in pretty much every ruck if you look hard enough, then this sounds like a proper shit idea that is going to add another 10-15 minutes to the last '5 minutes' of the game.
And if it is a good idea to have a captain's challenge for reasons of fairness and justice, why does NZR contrive to, in effect, limit it to the last 5 minutes of a match?
Ted.

Post by Ted. »

grievous

Post by grievous »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:16 am Rugby League leading union by the nose as per :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Then why is it still only played along the eastern Oz seaboard, a dozen low socioeconomic northern towns oop north in England and in the jungles of PNG?
If thats leading then youre "winning".
Working Class Rugger

Post by Working Class Rugger »

JPNZ wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:42 pm Following league a bit..
Goal line drop outs and a captain's challenge have been announced for Super Rugby Aotearoa, just weeks out from the competition start.

The two league-style innovations will make their debut when Super Rugby trial matches are played this weekend. The competition starts a fortnight later.

Captains will have 10 seconds after a try is scored to challenge anything since the last stoppage.

An incorrect challenge at any point of the game means all future challenge opportunities are lost.

While the challenge system could heavily influence the outcome of matches, the goal line drop out has the potential to change how the game is played.

The aim is to "reward attacking teams by allowing them to build pressure and to encourage defending teams to clear the ball from their in-goal area" according to New Zealand Rugby's high performance boss Mike Anthony.

It may also put a premium on players with long drop kicks, or encourage the art over the coming years.

A goal line drop out will be ordered after an attacking player is held up in goal or knocks the ball on, and when a kick – although not a penalty kick or drop goal attempt – is grounded in goal or otherwise made dead.

Anthony said the aim was to make the game more attractive.

"We''re constantly look at how we can make the game faster and fairer…a better spectacle," Anthony said.

There had been "great support" from coaches and players for the goal line drop out.

Anthony said: "The current re-start rule of a 22-metre drop out often pushes the receiving team well back into their own half and we think teams will be more likely to counter attack from a goal line drop-out, which will in turn lead to more attacking pressure and hopefully more tries."

National referees manager Bryce Lawrence said the captain's referral would, among other things, hopefully reduce the risk of games being decided by incorrect calls.
The goal line drop out was used in SR Au last season. We copied it from League. NZ are copying or from us.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Different rules NZ and AU again - not sure I like
fonzeee

Post by fonzeee »

I'll wait to see how it plays out but the goal line dropout sounds good IMO

Expanding reviews though...groan
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Just read that for a red card can replace after 20 mins....

I don’t like that
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

So, what will be the next set of changes that get introduced to fox up the unintended consequences of this set?
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:40 am Just read that for a red card can replace after 20 mins....

I don’t like that
I love that.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Zakar wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:45 am
kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:40 am Just read that for a red card can replace after 20 mins....

I don’t like that
I love that.
Brilliant
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

I don’t like that
I love that.
I'm generally in favour for many of the red cards we see these days, which are essentially technical errors rather than deliberate foul play or infringements.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Mullet 2 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:39 pm Captains Challenge

WTF :lol: :lol:
It's utter dogshit, players and TMO need less influence in the game, not more,.
JB1981

Post by JB1981 »

The aim is to "reward attacking teams by allowing them to build pressure and to encourage defending teams to clear the ball from their in-goal area” ....

A goal line drop out will be ordered after an attacking player is held up in goal or knocks the ball on
If we are aiming to reward attacking teams, why reward attacking teams who knock on in goal with a drop out? And for that matter, wouldn’t a five metre scrum be preferable after being held up than catching the ball 40-50 metres out from a drop kick?
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

JB1981 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:51 am
The aim is to "reward attacking teams by allowing them to build pressure and to encourage defending teams to clear the ball from their in-goal area” ....

A goal line drop out will be ordered after an attacking player is held up in goal or knocks the ball on
If we are aiming to reward attacking teams, why reward attacking teams who knock on in goal with a drop out? And for that matter, wouldn’t a five metre scrum be preferable after being held up than catching the ball 40-50 metres out from a drop kick?
Yeah, it keeps the onus on attack from an attacking platform deep in the oppo half.
A drop out almost seems like punishment.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Fat Old Git wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:48 am

I don’t like that
I love that.
I'm generally in favour for many of the red cards we see these days, which are essentially technical errors rather than deliberate foul play or infringements.
They should change those laws/guidance then - not add in further
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Follow ideas from League, hell no. What next, ban lineouts?

The rules that need to be changed are those around the scrum and breakdown, which continue to dog the game. Too much time on the former, too little clarity on the latter.

And limit the amount of downtime while we suffer referees "going through their process". We want to watch rugby not them, contrary to what they may think.
Fat Old Git

Post by Fat Old Git »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:09 am

I don’t like that
I love that.
They should change those laws/guidance then - not add in further
That would actually be my preference, but I can't see it happening given the commitment they need to show to player safety. Red cards are the easiest option, although I'm not convinced they're the only or even most effective option.
Floppykid

Post by Floppykid »

Ref offside better.
Sonny Blount

Post by Sonny Blount »

Whatever wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:29 am Follow ideas from League, hell no. What next, ban lineouts?

The rules that need to be changed are those around the scrum and breakdown, which continue to dog the game. Too much time on the former, too little clarity on the latter.

And limit the amount of downtime while we suffer referees "going through their process". We want to watch rugby not them, contrary to what they may think.
There isn't much time being spent in scrums nowadays.
Whatever

Post by Whatever »

Sonny Blount wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:50 am
Whatever wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:29 am Follow ideas from League, hell no. What next, ban lineouts?

There isn't much time being spent in scrums nowadays.
I've been watching a lot of NH rugby lately, and there is there. The issue is when the ABs come up against a NH team with an NH ref, and watch it go pear-shaped.
trapper

Post by trapper »

Floppykid wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 5:40 am Ref offside better.
That and shortening the length of time for a penalty advantage.
jdogscoop

Post by jdogscoop »

I don’t like that
I love that.
I agree, it's an intelligent response to the problems I highlighted over on the O'Mahony thread.