Commentary team from hell...or heaven.

All things Rugby
CrazyIslander

Commentary team from hell...or heaven.

Post by CrazyIslander »

Michael Cheika and David Campese sign on for Stan Sport's star-studded rugby commentary team
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.nine.c ... aa1fe2eb41
Duff Paddy

Re: Commentary team from hell...or heaven.

Post by Duff Paddy »

Plum and Plummer
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

People will begging for Kearnsy to come back.
Mog The Almighty

Post by Mog The Almighty »

I can't imagine that will make for relaxing, impartial commentary.

Might provide some cringey comedy moments though.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

Needs more Greg Martin
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Which one is the dominant one?
hermie

Post by hermie »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:48 pm I can't imagine that will make for relaxing, impartial commentary.

Impartial commentary is overrated. Give me BCM going "For f*cksake ref" any day over a stream of platitudes.
Mr. Very Popular

Post by Mr. Very Popular »

Add in Mattie Williams and it would be complete
Mog The Almighty

hermie wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:16 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:48 pm I can't imagine that will make for relaxing, impartial commentary.

Impartial commentary is overrated. Give me BCM going "For f*cksake ref" any day over a stream of platitudes.
Bill McLaren followed by Gordon Bray were my favorite commentators. Perhaps because that's just who I grew up hearing. I remember them both being vary impartial.

Having said that, I do appreciate Phil Kearns in the commentary box too. He's funny and he knows his shit. Obviously not impartial but it's all tongue in cheek. Sort of.
hermie

Post by hermie »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:39 pm

Bill McLaren followed by Gordon Bray were my favorite commentators. Perhaps because that's just who I grew up hearing. I remember them both being vary impartial.

Having said that, I do appreciate Phil Kearns in the commentary box too. He's funny and he knows his shit. Obviously not impartial but it's all tongue in cheek. Sort of.
Stransky is pretty impartial and not too boring I suppose.
Leinsterman

Post by Leinsterman »

The prat on Virgin Media One is awful
"Joey Carvery" is something that does my head in.
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

Our local Xhosa commentary can be a lot of fun

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=40tehEEir5o
Mog The Almighty

hermie wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:30 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:39 pm

Stransky is pretty impartial and not too boring I suppose.
Yeah I don't mind the saffas in the commentary box or even the poms.

The Aussies, Irish and Kiwis are the worst.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Campo and Cheika may surprise us though.
Jerome Manning

Post by Jerome Manning »

If they are going to be impartial then it needs to be natural and authentic. I agree Bill McLaren and Gordon Bray were brilliant (Richie Benaud was a great example in cricket).

In a desperate attempt to sound impartial, Justin Marshall talks up the opposition while poo pooing his own team. Ends up sounding false, patronising and condescending: "The Albanian wheelchair team have been dominating the Crusaders today, despite being behind only 47-0 after 17 minutes".
Monk Zombie

Post by Monk Zombie »

I enjoyed Chris Handy too
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:39 pm I do appreciate Phil Kearns in the commentary box too. He's funny and he knows his shit. Obviously not impartial but it's all tongue in cheek. Sort of.
He has an incredibly poor grasp of the current laws of the game for a former international of quality and full time pundit. His lack of knowledge leads to his very own frustration at officials. A strange listen.
shanky

Post by shanky »

mr bungle wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:11 pm
Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 6:39 pm I do appreciate Phil Kearns in the commentary box too. He's funny and he knows his shit. Obviously not impartial but it's all tongue in cheek. Sort of.
He has an incredibly poor grasp of the current laws of the game for a former international of quality and full time pundit. His lack of knowledge leads to his very own frustration at officials. A strange listen.
This

Plus, for a front-rower, his insight into scrums seems to involve only pointing out the bleeding obvious

"Ahh yes, the prop went down there. Can't do that"

bimboman knows more about scrums than Kearnsey
shanky

Post by shanky »

Monk Zombie wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:26 pm I enjoyed Chris Handy too
Hounded off the telly...no reason given

My theory? For turning up to commentary after a looong lunch. Was a good game that, funny commentary
MrDominator

Post by MrDominator »

Do you lads in the south ever get Andrew Cotter of the BBC?

He's brilliant.

Like Bill McLaren reincarnated.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

Andrew Cotter on the BBC is hard to beat I reckon.
Willie Falloon

Post by Willie Falloon »

MrDominator wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:19 pm Do you lads in the south ever get Andrew Cotter of the BBC?

He's brilliant.

Like Bill McLaren reincarnated.
:shock:
Mog The Almighty

I see Kearns as more colour commentary. He doesn't need to explain the intricacies of the modern game.

In any case, there's not much option when it comes to the Aussie commentators. Greg Gowden is okay. The rest are naff. At least Kearns is amusing.
shanky

Post by shanky »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:23 pm I see Kearns as more colour commentary. He doesn't need to explain the intricacies of the modern game.

In any case, there's not much option when it comes to the Aussie commentators. Greg Gowden is okay. The rest are naff. At least Kearns is amusing.
I don't mind him, just in small doses.

I like Sean Maloney. Very funny guy in real life too.

The Nine team need a bit of 'technical' analysis now that Kafe has moved on. I understand that this is what Cheika will be bringing. You know, smart TV plus X and O's
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Campo could be really good or really bad. Like, really bad.

Cheika, on the other hand, could be a terrific commentator...especially when he doesn't have a dog in the fight. The dude knows his rugby and isn't a deadshit like Kearns.

Just signed up for Stan. Can't wait to see what it's like on Friday night.
Gwenno

Post by Gwenno »

Willie Falloon wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:19 pm Andrew Cotter on the BBC is hard to beat I reckon.
And great dog videos too.
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

I think Cheika will be ok, he will probably just be comments man, and will I imagine give a reasonable knowledgeable view of things. Let's face it he was an International coach, so even not hell of a successful at it would still have a pretty good knowledge of game, and isn't that hwta you want from sideline /comments men in the game?
Mog The Almighty

Dan54. wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:26 pm I think Cheika will be ok, he will probably just be comments man, and will I imagine give a reasonable knowledgeable view of things. Let's face it he was an International coach, so even not hell of a successful at it would still have a pretty good knowledge of game, and isn't that hwta you want from sideline /comments men in the game?
I suspect Cheiks strength as a coach was getting the lads fired up and motivated, not brilliant strategic game plans.
Zakar

Post by Zakar »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:23 pm I see Kearns as more colour commentary. He doesn't need to explain the intricacies of the modern game.

Sean Maloney is excellent. Glad Stan has him as lead.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Tell him to stop trying then, he's painful when wound up on yet another misguided incorrect law whinge.

I always liked Gordon Bray and Handy.
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

Dan54. wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:26 pm I think Cheika will be ok, he will probably just be comments man, and will I imagine give a reasonable knowledgeable view of things. Let's face it he was an International coach, so even not hell of a successful at it would still have a pretty good knowledge of game, and isn't that hwta you want from sideline /comments men in the game?
Cheika will be fine, save for his accent.
CrazyIslander

Post by CrazyIslander »

Just imagine a NZ side killing the ball to prevent a try by an Aussie side. The commentary box will explode.
Jeff the Bear

Post by Jeff the Bear »

Thomas wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:00 pm
Cheika, on the other hand, could be a terrific commentator...especially when he doesn't have a dog in the fight.
I've come to the conclusion that this should be standard. Partisan commentary is shite. In the 6 Nations, they've decided to get around this by just having a partisan from each country in the commentary box alongside the main commentator...it just means you get this weird commentary cognitive dissonance coming out of the commentary box. Total bollocks.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

mr bungle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:19 am
Tell him to stop trying then, he's painful when wound up on yet another misguided incorrect law whinge.

Buddha Handy was a Brisbane institution. He was the guy you always bumped into at the pub. Usually surrounded by a gaggle of ex-private school lads in moleskins, chambray shirts and RM Williams boots. I've spoken to him about 20 times but I reckon half of Brisbane has as well.
Pat the Ex Mat

Post by Pat the Ex Mat »

Thomas wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:37 am
mr bungle wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:19 am

Buddha Handy was a Brisbane institution. He was the guy you always bumped into at the pub. Usually surrounded by a gaggle of ex-private school lads in moleskins, chambray shirts and RM Williams boots. I've spoken to him about 20 times but I reckon half of Brisbane has as well.
Buddha was great - I really enjoyed his commentary when I first moved here from the UK.

McClaren was definitely the gold standard and nobody has ever reached that level.

If you can find it on YouTube, "Sgorio" the Welsh Language Soccer show is epic for it's commentator - he goes bananas :lol: :lol:
Demilich

Post by Demilich »

For just plain old commentary (rather than analysis), it's hard to go past Graeme Hughes as far as Aussie footy commentators are concerned.

And maybe Kerry O'Keefe to tell stories while the scrums are being re-set. :lol:
Dan54.

Post by Dan54. »

Demilich wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:05 am For just plain old commentary (rather than analysis), it's hard to go past Graeme Hughes as far as Aussie footy commentators are concerned.

And maybe Kerry O'Keefe to tell stories while the scrums are being re-set. :lol:
F*** O'keefe even in jest, he is so busy laughing at his own jokes he never gets anything out. He just thinks he a comedian and ends up ruining most of stuff he knows about.
Leinster in London

Post by Leinster in London »

Being impartial is over-rated. On the BBC it so many times just seems false.
I was brought up watching sport on a station that did not have to worry about who it's audience were. It was us, and they were part of us. One eyed for ever#
Mog The Almighty

Zakar wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:48 pm

Really?

He's amusing, if not over-the-top, doing his top-5 segments. But as a lead commentator? I will reserve judgement until I hear it. As long as it's not the overly-excited, shouty league-style commentary that I would expect from him...
Sensible Stephen

Post by Sensible Stephen »

Mog The Almighty wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:04 am
Zakar wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:48 pm

Really?

He's amusing, if not over-the-top, doing his top-5 segments. But as a lead commentator? I will reserve judgement until I hear it. As long as it's not the overly-excited, shouty league-style commentary that I would expect from him...
He commentated in the WC for world rugby. He's ok, not amazing but not horrible. Iced it.