The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

All things Rugby
User avatar
CrazyIslander
Posts: 20336
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by CrazyIslander »

Will stan be showing SR Aotearoa?
User avatar
guy smiley
Posts: 34171
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: in transit

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by guy smiley »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:19 am
deverix wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 am Each NZ franchise played 20 matches in 2019, last year it was only 7.
Incorrect. The Crusaders played 13 games last year, and the other four franchises played 14 matches.
Is that Deverix poster ever right about anything?
User avatar
Slim 293
Posts: 6005
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Straya plum

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by Slim 293 »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:24 am Will stan be showing SR Aotearoa?
Yes.
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 31505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by Ali's Choice »

guy smiley wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:25 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:19 am
deverix wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 am Each NZ franchise played 20 matches in 2019, last year it was only 7.
Incorrect. The Crusaders played 13 games last year, and the other four franchises played 14 matches.
Is that Deverix poster ever right about anything?
He's struggling a bit on this thread, for sure.
User avatar
Shrekles
Posts: 4467
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by Shrekles »

Slim 293 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:33 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:24 am Will stan be showing SR Aotearoa?
Yes.
Is that the only place we can get access to the games in Australia though?
User avatar
CrazyIslander
Posts: 20336
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2012 5:34 am

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by CrazyIslander »

Slim 293 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:33 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:24 am Will stan be showing SR Aotearoa?
Yes.
:thumbup: Right I'll just add Stan Sport before kick off
User avatar
kiap
Posts: 20279
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by kiap »

Shrekles wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:35 am
Slim 293 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:33 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:24 am Will stan be showing SR Aotearoa?
Yes.
Is that the only place we can get access to the games in Australia though?
Probably, apart from one of the SRAu games (I think per round) on Nine GEM, free to air.
User avatar
Zakar
Posts: 17721
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Haunting your dreams

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by Zakar »

CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:23 am
Zakar wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:57 pm
Slim 293 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:19 pm Stan have also just announced they'll be showing Japan's Top League... :thumbup:
Holy shit that's awesome.
Really? Are you going to be watching any if those games?
For sure.

I can't wait to see the Toyota backrow:

6. Himeno
7. Hooper
8. Read

It might be the best non test backrow to take the field ever.
deverix
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:30 am

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by deverix »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:19 am
deverix wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 am Each NZ franchise played 20 matches in 2019, last year it was only 7.
Incorrect. The Crusaders played 13 games last year, and the other four franchises played 14 matches.
That's only if you include the SR 2020 season that covid canned at the start of March.

And guess what? the NZR is only planning for 4 extra games after this year's Super Rugby Aotearoa - so only 12 Super Rugby games for each franchise..(even less than 2020), & merely the minimum 6 home games required to keep the franchises afloat.. The administrators of this game need an entire overhaul. The ARU has managed to organize a better run competition with the golden try decider instead of the flawed 'golden point' plus a complete playoff series too. 2nd vs 3rd & 1st vs TBD. The muppets at NZRU couldn't even organize a playoff round for SR Aotearoa 2020 when the appetite for it was through the roof. And now they've merely added a 'grand final' instead of having any playoffs at all...
User avatar
Ali's Choice
Posts: 31505
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Queensland

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by Ali's Choice »

deverix wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:04 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:19 am
deverix wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 am Each NZ franchise played 20 matches in 2019, last year it was only 7.
Incorrect. The Crusaders played 13 games last year, and the other four franchises played 14 matches.
That's only if you include the SR 2020 season that covid canned at the start of March.

And guess what? the NZR is only planning for 4 extra games after this year's Super Rugby Aotearoa - so only 12 Super Rugby games for each franchise..(even less than 2020), & merely the minimum 6 home games required to keep the franchises afloat.. The administrators of this game need an entire overhaul. The ARU has managed to organize a better run competition with the golden try decider instead of the flawed 'golden point' plus a complete playoff series too. 2nd vs 3rd & 1st vs TBD. The muppets at NZRU couldn't even organize a playoff round for SR Aotearoa 2020 when the appetite for it was through the roof. And now they've merely added a 'grand final' instead of having any playoffs at all...
Why wouldn't you include all the games they actually played when counting the amount of games they played?

As for playoffs, I think a 4 team playoff system is unnecessary in a 5 team comp. A final is fine.

I do think though that a sixth team would have been awesome for Super Rugby Aotearoa, creating three matches every weekend, and I think they have had enough time now to organise this.
User avatar
Whatever
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Rockyville, Merryland

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by Whatever »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:11 am
deverix wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:04 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:19 am
deverix wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 am Each NZ franchise played 20 matches in 2019, last year it was only 7.
Incorrect. The Crusaders played 13 games last year, and the other four franchises played 14 matches.
That's only if you include the SR 2020 season that covid canned at the start of March.

And guess what? the NZR is only planning for 4 extra games after this year's Super Rugby Aotearoa - so only 12 Super Rugby games for each franchise..(even less than 2020), & merely the minimum 6 home games required to keep the franchises afloat.. The administrators of this game need an entire overhaul. The ARU has managed to organize a better run competition with the golden try decider instead of the flawed 'golden point' plus a complete playoff series too. 2nd vs 3rd & 1st vs TBD. The muppets at NZRU couldn't even organize a playoff round for SR Aotearoa 2020 when the appetite for it was through the roof. And now they've merely added a 'grand final' instead of having any playoffs at all...
Why wouldn't you include all the games they actually played when counting the amount of games they played?

As for playoffs, I think a 4 team playoff system is unnecessary in a 5 team comp. A final is fine.

I do think though that a sixth team would have been awesome for Super Rugby Aotearoa, creating three matches every weekend, and I think they have had enough time now to organise this.
Interesting, but would this sixth team have a future beyond this year? I think at one stage there was some talk about a 6th NZ franchise - given that SA and Aust had extra teams that weren't much chop - but never eventuated. For memory, it would have been based around the disgruntled unions of Taranaki and Hawkes Bay.

If there could be a future for such a team then why not? Would be better than the Force. For me, I will miss the Saffa-NZ franchise matches - my favourite matchups - and this team would create some interest to compensate. My fear is that by diluting the NI teams it will ultimately make the Crusaders stronger...

Also: having three matches every weekend is the argument for keeping Italy in the 6N - the self proclaimed greatest rugby comp in the world - so need to be sure they are competitive.
deverix
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:30 am

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by deverix »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:11 am
deverix wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:04 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:19 am
deverix wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 am Each NZ franchise played 20 matches in 2019, last year it was only 7.
Incorrect. The Crusaders played 13 games last year, and the other four franchises played 14 matches.
That's only if you include the SR 2020 season that covid canned at the start of March.

And guess what? the NZR is only planning for 4 extra games after this year's Super Rugby Aotearoa - so only 12 Super Rugby games for each franchise..(even less than 2020), & merely the minimum 6 home games required to keep the franchises afloat.. The administrators of this game need an entire overhaul. The ARU has managed to organize a better run competition with the golden try decider instead of the flawed 'golden point' plus a complete playoff series too. 2nd vs 3rd & 1st vs TBD. The muppets at NZRU couldn't even organize a playoff round for SR Aotearoa 2020 when the appetite for it was through the roof. And now they've merely added a 'grand final' instead of having any playoffs at all...
Why wouldn't you include all the games they actually played when counting the amount of games they played?

As for playoffs, I think a 4 team playoff system is unnecessary in a 5 team comp. A final is fine.

I do think though that a sixth team would have been awesome for Super Rugby Aotearoa, creating three matches every weekend, and I think they have had enough time now to organise this.
The conservative cronies at NZRU don't want to include playoff series or add a sixth team (to enable 3 games instead of merely 2 per week, & hence a vastly better competition...) because they're worried about the physicality & attrition level that the NZ derbies bring. They only care about the test team & welfare of All Blacks - and look how that turned out (2020 was the All Black's worst season going by results since 1998).

My theory is because of the lack of rugby & the huge down-period between matches destroying the momentum of individual players & not allowing to build consistency due to lack of regular rugby. This period for example: - SRA ends - (3 weeks later) North vs South - (2 months later) - Bledisloe 1..

Last year they restricted our Super Rugby franchises to weekly-byes & no playoff series when there was mountains of free space in the rugby calendar due to Covid, and then only made room for one North vs South match instead of a 3 or 5 match-series when they had a whole three month gap between SRA's conclusion in the 1st week of August & the first Bledisloe match on October 11...

So many blunders and missed opportunities.
Last edited by deverix on Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
User avatar
Monkey Magic
Posts: 822
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by Monkey Magic »

Is there really any appetite for multiple north vs south matches? Was pretty lackluster interest last year and we lost ennor for the season, what will extra games bring?

More games fans don't give a crap about and injuries? may as well throw a conference system in and we're back to the awesome super rugby format everyone loved
User avatar
jdogscoop
Posts: 14194
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by jdogscoop »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:12 am
Super Rugby Aotearoa has a team sitting-out for a rest every single week because there's only 5 teams in this embarrassingly truncated farce of a competition
Super Rugby Aotearoa was the best Tier 2 comp I have ever seen. Every match was close and the standard was extremely high. I reckon each of the franchises would have beaten the All Blacks in 2020 over a three match series.
Probably a fair comment given Ian Foster's All Blacks appear to be less than the sum of their parts.
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41632
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by Anonymous 1 »

Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:12 am
Super Rugby Aotearoa has a team sitting-out for a rest every single week because there's only 5 teams in this embarrassingly truncated farce of a competition
Super Rugby Aotearoa was the best Tier 2 comp I have ever seen. Every match was close and the standard was extremely high. I reckon each of the franchises would have beaten the All Blacks in 2020 over a three match series.
Good luck with it this year and lets hope its never seen again
User avatar
jdogscoop
Posts: 14194
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Melbourne

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by jdogscoop »

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:25 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:12 am
Super Rugby Aotearoa has a team sitting-out for a rest every single week because there's only 5 teams in this embarrassingly truncated farce of a competition
Super Rugby Aotearoa was the best Tier 2 comp I have ever seen. Every match was close and the standard was extremely high. I reckon each of the franchises would have beaten the All Blacks in 2020 over a three match series.
Good luck with it this year and lets hope its never seen again
It makes sense though. Super Rugby Australia kicked off tonight with a big win to the Reds over NSW and then the ACT over the Western Force. The Melbourne Rebels will enter the fray next week.

If they don't get to play the five Kiwi teams in the coming weeks then they'll just go round again before playing finals.

In any event it's still a great showcase for rugby.
User avatar
Whatever
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Rockyville, Merryland

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by Whatever »

Slim 293 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:33 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:24 am Will stan be showing SR Aotearoa?
Yes.
Wondering if we will be able to get SR Aust & Aotearoa outside Australasia. I usually download them from ATT after the fact, but if this 'Stan' is a subscriber streaming service I wonder if someone will be able to make the matches available there?

No sign yet, so I'm bit worried. :(
User avatar
Anonymous 1
Posts: 41632
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:15 pm
Location: Planet Rock

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by Anonymous 1 »

jdogscoop wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:52 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:25 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:12 am
Super Rugby Aotearoa has a team sitting-out for a rest every single week because there's only 5 teams in this embarrassingly truncated farce of a competition
Super Rugby Aotearoa was the best Tier 2 comp I have ever seen. Every match was close and the standard was extremely high. I reckon each of the franchises would have beaten the All Blacks in 2020 over a three match series.
Good luck with it this year and lets hope its never seen again
It makes sense though. Super Rugby Australia kicked off tonight with a big win to the Reds over NSW and then the ACT over the Western Force. The Melbourne Rebels will enter the fray next week.

If they don't get to play the five Kiwi teams in the coming weeks then they'll just go round again before playing finals.

In any event it's still a great showcase for rugby.
I know it makes sense but its a band aid that hopefully won't be seen again.
User avatar
Whatever
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:05 am
Location: Rockyville, Merryland

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by Whatever »

Whatever wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:30 pm
Slim 293 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:33 am
CrazyIslander wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:24 am Will stan be showing SR Aotearoa?
Yes.
Wondering if we will be able to get SR Aust & Aotearoa outside Australasia. I usually download them from ATT after the fact, but if this 'Stan' is a subscriber streaming service I wonder if someone will be able to make the matches available there?

No sign yet, so I'm bit worried. :(
I'll post this here, for those like me o/s who download from ATT and elsewhere. The 2 Sup Rugby Aust matches not up for download on ATT, but the usual guy who does those says:

"The Super Rugby AU matches played today are not on ESPN+ so I don't have a source to cap from yet. Hopefully, both SR AU and SR Aotearoa are on ESPN+ next weekend.

In the meantime, can someone cap today's matches?"
Dan54.
Posts: 1223
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:23 am

Re: The Trans Tasman Super Rugby series

Post by Dan54. »

deverix wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:58 am
Dan54. wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:57 pm
Ali's Choice wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:18 pm
Muttonbirds wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:15 pm New Zealand were just throwing a bone to Australia rugby who I read were about to be taken over by a private equity firm.

That is vultures circling stuff.

How many times is New Zealand going to have to bail Australian rugby out?
Nah, I think both unions were genuinely keen. It would have been a fun way to end the respective Super Rugby seasons.
Agree, I doubt NZR want to put the players through 3 rounds of derbies if can be helped, but don't see any other option. I really believe the RC will be held in Oz again this year, as even if there a bubble by then the Boks and Pumas won't be part of it. Perhaps no mid year tours either? Could slip in a North/South game?
The reality is that (at a minimum) a franchise needs six home games just to survive...

We usually play 15 test matches in a non-world cup year. Last year it was only 6.

Each NZ franchise played 20 matches in 2019, last year it was only 7.

This 'player welfare' argument is a load of horse-shit. The players are only playing (at most) 1/3 of the rugby they'd be subject to if Covid wasn't around.

If NZ Rugby & AB Coaches are concerned about the physical toll of the NZ derbies that can simply be managed through rest & rotation. But, even having said this.. Super Rugby Aotearoa has a team sitting-out for a rest every single week because there's only 5 teams in this embarrassingly truncated farce of a competition. So the player workload excuse is pure & simply bullshit.
Actually as a rule it is the players that say it. Sam Whitelock makes no bones about how many games the players can handle, especially the derbies. He probably got more idea than you or I, I would think.
Post Reply