Dan Carter retires from pro-Rugby

All things Rugby
terangi48

Re: Dan Carter retires from pro-Rugby

Post by terangi48 »

Onya Dan.......a great career in blue and white, red and black and black and silver. Has been amazing watching the skill and tactical sense with which you played.......the complete first five: could run, kick, cover, tackle feed a backline and break a game open. Loved the stories of learning to kick when you were younger from over the road and down the driveway. Best wishes for your future.........
FairWeather_Aussie

Post by FairWeather_Aussie »

I think Graham Henry has said McCaw was the GOAT. But for me it the GOAT in all positions was Dan Carter.

I don’t think he was the best in any measure of a 10. But he was within the top 3 in all measures. The reason he was so good was because of his all round game. He didn’t have any weaknesses.

Carlos Spenser was more creative, Wilkinson had a better kicking game whether from the foot or from the tee, Bernie Larkham had a pinpoint pass and could organize a defense like no other.

I wouldn’t say that Dan Carter was the best at anything. What he was.... he was quite good at everything. He had no weaknesses. And very intelligent. He showed that in the 2015 World Cup final against Oz. Physically he was well past his peak. He was slower both in terms of running speed and instinctive reactions. But he controlled and won the game perfectly, and was the MotM,

For me Dan Carter will always be GOAT
brat

Post by brat »

FairWeather_Aussie wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:59 pm I think Graham Henry has said McCaw was the GOAT. But for me it the GOAT in all positions was Dan Carter.

I don’t think he was the best in any measure of a 10. But he was within the top 3 in all measures. The reason he was so good was because of his all round game. He didn’t have any weaknesses.

Carlos Spenser was more creative, Wilkinson had a better kicking game whether from the foot or from the tee, Bernie Larkham had a pinpoint pass and could organize a defense like no other.

I wouldn’t say that Dan Carter was the best at anything. What he was.... he was quite good at everything. He had no weaknesses. And very intelligent. He showed that in the 2015 World Cup final against Oz. Physically he was well past his peak. He was slower both in terms of running speed and instinctive reactions. But he controlled and won the game perfectly, and was the MotM,

I don’t think jw had a better positional kicking game and I’m not sure what the tee kicking stats were

I think carter excelled in the way he controlled the game over all other 10s

I notice that s.Jones ranked us and carter 8th and 10th respectively -what a douche😂
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

FairWeather_Aussie wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:59 pm I think Graham Henry has said McCaw was the GOAT. But for me it the GOAT in all positions was Dan Carter.

And he finally broke the Kiwi hoodoo by kicking two crucial drop goals when needed in the semi final and final in 2015. Not as good an exponent of the drop goal as Johnny Wilkinson but he showed he also had that string to his bow when needed.
brat

Post by brat »

jdogscoop wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:26 am
brat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:09 am
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:23 am A legend. Not just because he is the greatest 10 to have ever played but because he is a naturally great human being who gives back to kids and the game. I have met him and he is a true gentleman.

Lives in my neighbourhood. Wife never fails to tell me when she's seen him out walking with his kids.
Really ..you live near burwood crescent?

I see him out a lot as well

Seems a strange, extremely blue neighbourhood for a raving lefty like you to be living in
Remmers? Fvck that. I'm going for Kingsland, Newmarket, Grey Lynn or Mt Albert.
Yep barrett lives in remmers as well.. I used to see tana around here a few years back.. and even nonu a few tines
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

brat wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:34 pm
Muttonbirds wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:23 am A legend. Not just because he is the greatest 10 to have ever played but because he is a naturally great human being who gives back to kids and the game. I have met him and he is a true gentleman.

Lives in my neighbourhood. Wife never fails to tell me when she's seen him out walking with his kids.

Seems a strange, extremely blue neighbourhood for a raving lefty like you to be living in
Yep barrett lives in remmers as well.. I used to see tana around here a few years back.. and even nonu a few tines
Nevertheless the question remains. What on earth is Muttonbolshevik doing living in such a blue belt neighborhood?
Tehui

Post by Tehui »

I didn't realise DC was still playing TBH. We should clone him immediately and prepare the next generation's AB #10.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... SApp_Other

How does one measure greatness? Well, here are a few ways. Two World Cups and nine championships with the All Blacks, titles with every first-class club (five) he has played for, 112 caps, most points in international rugby (1,598 – the next best being Jonny Wilkinson, 352 points behind), most points in Super Rugby (1,708 – in that instance 259 points ahead of the next best), 355 first-class matches, 4,292 first-class points … It all starts to become meaningless after a while.
when he announced himself to the world in 2005 with, again, surely the most complete individual performance of all time. On 2 July 2005 in Wellington, he scored 33 points in the second Test against the British & Irish Lions in the biggest defeat the tourists have ever suffered, 48-18. The next day, Roger Federer dismantled Andy Roddick to win his third Wimbledon and fifth grand slam title. Both men were 23. Both were widely hailed, even then, as the greatest ever in their sports.

The following Sunday in a feature on the Carter phenomenon, the Observer noted: “That kind of accolade is normally bestowed upon a sportsman a good few years after retirement by seasoned hacks remembering the good old days.” This seemed different.

Indeed it was. Federer is still at it, accumulating accolades with a class unsurpassed in his sport’s history. Carter’s career would follow a similar curve.
shanky

Post by shanky »

booji boy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:22 am

Nevertheless the question remains. What on earth is Muttonbolshevik doing living in such a blue belt neighborhood?
He’s probably a trust fund baby.

Those mofos are often the most vocal lefties.
terangi48

Post by terangi48 »

"I notice that S. Jones ranked us and carter 8th and 10th respectively "

I note that in Dan Carter's playing career the following record v England (04 to 19),.... and world cups.

Played 18.......NZ 15......England 3

Played 4........NZ 2 .......England 0

S. Jones opinions are written to editors orders........patriotic to the end.....
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

Is he breaking the cardinal rule of move into the neighbourhood and become an evil righty tighty Nats/ACT fanboi? ;)

Anyway, DC might be my favourite Cantab ever, surely that is the greatest of awards that has been bestowed on him?
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

Canterbury doesn’t care about what you think, UncleFB.
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

guy smiley wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:51 am Canterbury doesn’t care about what you think, UncleFB.
I know you've all had an alert set up so you could notified immediately of my comments of the great man.
Monkey Magic

Post by Monkey Magic »

In terms of all blacks performances, the crazy thing is that he won/kept us in games through completely different skills.

Goal kicking
Kicking from hand to get us decent position
Taking on defence himself or setting up the backline
Also remember a beldisloe where he pulled off a number of covering tackles in first 10min when the wallabies were on fire, kept them to 0 then ground them down to pull away in last 20
Last edited by Monkey Magic on Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
guy smiley

Post by guy smiley »

UncleFB wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:46 am
guy smiley wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:51 am Canterbury doesn’t care about what you think, UncleFB.
I know you've all had an alert set up so you could notified immediately of my comments of the great man.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Monkey Magic wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:06 am In terms of all blacks performances, the crazy thing is that he won/kept us in games through completely different skills.

Gola kicking
Kicking from hand to get us decent position
Taking on defence himself or setting up the backlime
Also remember a beldisloe where he pulled off a number of covering tackles in first 10min when the wallabies were on fire, kept them to 0 then ground them down to pull away in last 20
Yeah a true match winner just as good in 30-40 point romps as he was in 3-7 point nail biters.
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

UncleFB wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:36 am

Is he breaking the cardinal rule of move into the neighbourhood and become an evil righty tighty Nats/ACT fanboi? ;)

Anyway, DC might be my favourite Cantab ever, surely that is the greatest of awards that has been bestowed on him?
No I just don't understand how Muttonbird could stomach living amongst the rich, successful people he so detests. :P
badmannotinjapan

Post by badmannotinjapan »

Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:21 am He wasn't just brilliant on the field, but he was the consummate professional off the field. Throughout his time at the Crusaders he was always the first at training, and one of the last to leave. A genuine clean-skin off the field. I can't even remember him committing any on-field foul play. There was one incident against Wales where he may have clipped someone over the head behind play, but I was drunk and I don't really remember it. I'm sure it was accidental.
Actually when he first came into the Crusaders, Justin Marshall had to sort him out.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

badmannotinjapan wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:52 am
Ali's Choice wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:21 am He wasn't just brilliant on the field, but he was the consummate professional off the field. Throughout his time at the Crusaders he was always the first at training, and one of the last to leave. A genuine clean-skin off the field. I can't even remember him committing any on-field foul play. There was one incident against Wales where he may have clipped someone over the head behind play, but I was drunk and I don't really remember it. I'm sure it was accidental.
Actually when he first came into the Crusaders, Justin Marshall had to sort him out.
What do you mean, "sort him out"?
badmannotinjapan

Post by badmannotinjapan »

Kiwias wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:56 am
Liked the party a bit too much. JM was saying there was a moment on the bus where DC was tucking into the beers. JM made him drink more, akin to nana catching you with a ciggy then making you smoke the pack. I think it was that moment that kicked him into gear.
Kiwias

Post by Kiwias »

badmannotinjapan wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:02 am
Liked the party a bit too much. JM was saying there was a moment on the bus where DC was tucking into the beers. JM made him drink more, akin to nana catching you with a ciggy then making you smoke the pack. I think it was that moment that kicked him into gear.
My Dad did that thing with making me smoke a entire pack but it didn't work with me -- I never made the ABs like DC did.
brat

Post by brat »

Yes and the epsom electorate as well

Must’ve been pissed that his mp is David Seymour ..maybe that’s why he’s so angry all the time
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Wonderful player the best in his position that I ever saw , such time .

Bloody decent bloke too .
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

guy smiley wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:33 am
UncleFB wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:46 am
I lavish praise on one of your favourite sons and you lot still find a way to be offended by it. 8)
UncleFB

Post by UncleFB »

JM doing that is a classic case of poacher becoming gamekeeper.
DragsterDriver

Post by DragsterDriver »

I didn’t think it’s a secret that Disco Dan likes a party?
mr bungle

Post by mr bungle »

DragsterDriver wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:42 am
I didn’t think it’s a secret that Disco Dan likes a party?
He’s a Class A partier.
Farva

Post by Farva »

Terrific player to watch. I remember at a Sydney canal we went out to the Bled after a session at some pub and most of us were convinced Giteau would show him how to play. That proved quite wrong and Carter gave us a master class on tactical kicking.

I remember hearing a story about him, that as a kid he set up a set of goals and used to practice his place kicking ad nauseum. That shouts one thing about the man - he is a bit of a Nigel no friends...
Geek

Post by Geek »

One of those players who was a legend even when he was playing (which is mighty rare). I wonder if the game will ever see his like again.
Eugenius

Post by Eugenius »

Sefton wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:43 pm A great but no Phil Bennet.
Thank god !!

Didn’t you see him in 77 ?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Farva wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:29 am Terrific player to watch. I remember at a Sydney canal we went out to the Bled after a session at some pub and most of us were convinced Giteau would show him how to play. That proved quite wrong and Carter gave us a master class on tactical kicking.

I remember hearing a story about him, that as a kid he set up a set of goals and used to practice his place kicking ad nauseum. That shouts one thing about the man - he is a bit of a Nigel no friends...
Strange comment. What players don't practice ad nauseam as kids? Soccer players, tennis players, cricketers, golfers. It's fun when you're a kid playing and practicing your favourite, chosen sport.
Farva

Post by Farva »

booji boy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:47 am
Farva wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:29 am Terrific player to watch. I remember at a Sydney canal we went out to the Bled after a session at some pub and most of us were convinced Giteau would show him how to play. That proved quite wrong and Carter gave us a master class on tactical kicking.

Strange comment. What players don't practice ad nauseam as kids? Soccer players, tennis players, cricketers, golfers. It's fun when you're a kid playing and practicing your favourite, chosen sport.
That famous kiwi sense of humour...
eldanielfire

Post by eldanielfire »

Genuinely brilliant player. Had no idea he was still playing.

I genuinely dislike GOATs conversations because eras in sport are so different and it's ridiculous comparing full time professionals benefiting from large coaching teams, TV analysis, nutrition, gym and sports science directly with people to rock-up on saturday in between drinking sessions and a few ciggies after a long week at work for only a few years in their 20s.

But Carter, while blessen he was always on some of the best teams in history was certainly the best 10 of the modern era. Only early Wilko, whose career and development into his peak years were ruined by injury can compare in modern rugby.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Awesome player - the footage of him injuring himself in 2011 was hard to watch as to severity was written all over his face.

One off field cock up - weirdly late in his career- is probably the only blemish...and not drop goal in ‘07...
Grandpa

Post by Grandpa »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:32 pm ...and not drop goal in ‘07...
drop goal while sitting in the stand?
Magpie26

Post by Magpie26 »

By far and away the most complete 10 I have ever seen play the game.
Had it all, pace, vision, great step, killer fend, totally calm under pressure, excellent tackler and the complete kicking game.

You can pick out other 10s who had better parts to their game but if you put all those other 10s best bits together, the picture you would get wouldn't look a lot different than DC.

Unbelievable player and a great ambassador for the game.
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

Grandpa wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:54 pm
kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:32 pm ...and not drop goal in ‘07...
He may mean the drop kick Carter attempted on the 52nd minute. France scored their first try with the possession it handed them, while NZ were still down a man.

I feel he has perhaps made up for that error.
kiwigreg369

Post by kiwigreg369 »

Mr Mike wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:32 pm [quote="Grandpa " post_id=6829316 time=<a href="tel:1613915652">1613915652</a> user_id=2665]
[quote="kiwigreg369 " post_id=6829299 time=<a href="tel:1613914369">1613914369</a> user_id=1081]
...and not drop goal in ‘07...
[/quote]He may mean the drop kick Carter attempted on the 52nd minute. France scored their first try with the possession it handed them, while NZ were still down a man.

[/quote]

Nope - all wrong from me, it was Nick of course (just checked timing and Carter off at 56min)
Mr Mike

Post by Mr Mike »

kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:15 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:32 pm
Grandpa wrote:
kiwigreg369 wrote: ...and not drop goal in ‘07...
He may mean the drop kick Carter attempted on the 52nd minute. France scored their first try with the possession it handed them, while NZ were still down a man.

Nope - all wrong from me, it was Nick of course (just checked timing and Carter off at 56min)
When did Evans go off?
booji boy

Post by booji boy »

Mr Mike wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:36 pm
kiwigreg369 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:15 pm
Mr Mike wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:32 pm
Grandpa wrote:
kiwigreg369 wrote: ...and not drop goal in ‘07...

When did Evans go off?
About 5 minutes after coming on.